Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On way back 22:32 - Aug 28 with 6443 viewsOakR

Fairly awful game.compared to recent ones. We really were not at it, commitment was fine, but could not get going bar a bit in the first half.

I felt the game was crying out for Hugill to come on and I don't really understand why he didn't- we need to hold the ball up and were struggling to pass out from the back.

Needless penalty to give away but this game was there to be won and we lost it on team selection.

Poll: Will we stay up?

On way back on 22:37 - Aug 28 with 5323 viewssmegma

The substitutions were odd.
On way back on 23:09 - Aug 28 with 5113 viewsHunterhoop

On way back on 22:37 - Aug 28 by smegma

The substitutions were odd.

Very.

The switch to a diamond backfired completely. Just condensed the pitch and made us very narrow and easier to defend against. It required the full backs to push on so high it left us exposed on the counter. Left us with few outlets and less space to play in, which suited Portsmouth perfectly. Think Jackett did a number on Warburton tonight.

Pugh had to come off because he was blowing, but not for Ball.

Disappointed with a lot of them today, Manning excluded. Barbet’s defending for the 2nd was so lazy. Had yards on the goalscorer but did’t bother to race back and just let him run past him for the tap in.

Smith and Owens were the biggest issue. Couldn't pass through the Portsmouth press, not could they win the ball back. Neither imposed themselves on the game at all.
On way back on 23:11 - Aug 28 with 5098 viewsmcqpr10

Other games we’ve lost this season I felt we played quite well. Tonight was poor. Mlakkar didn’t win a header all night and struggled with the physical nature of the game. Missed a sitter at the end. Think there is a player in there but by the time he’s up to speed with the championship he will return to Brighton. Bright was very out of sorts although just as he was coming in to the game more he was subbed! Once he went off we had no width. Leistner at fault for both goals and barbet didn’t bother running back to help is other centre back out for the second. Owens was decent in the middle of park and genuinely don’t know if I like Matt smith in there or not. Can be very neat and tidy one min then play a daft long ball the next. Miss Amos and Cameron’s physicality.

Don’t know why he bought on ball when it was crying out for Hughill. Manning and Kane were decent I thought. Portsmouth were equally as useless and hardly had a shot till the pen.
On way back on 23:20 - Aug 28 with 5034 viewsdavman

On way back on 23:11 - Aug 28 by mcqpr10

Other games we’ve lost this season I felt we played quite well. Tonight was poor. Mlakkar didn’t win a header all night and struggled with the physical nature of the game. Missed a sitter at the end. Think there is a player in there but by the time he’s up to speed with the championship he will return to Brighton. Bright was very out of sorts although just as he was coming in to the game more he was subbed! Once he went off we had no width. Leistner at fault for both goals and barbet didn’t bother running back to help is other centre back out for the second. Owens was decent in the middle of park and genuinely don’t know if I like Matt smith in there or not. Can be very neat and tidy one min then play a daft long ball the next. Miss Amos and Cameron’s physicality.

Don’t know why he bought on ball when it was crying out for Hughill. Manning and Kane were decent I thought. Portsmouth were equally as useless and hardly had a shot till the pen.

Good summary.

Plus points were the full backs - especially Manning, who has grown in to his new position.

Big negative for me was Matt Smith. Looks lightweight and out of his depth in the games I've seen him in and his ball distribution was woeful.

Pompey a team of big old units, who can play a bit - a perfect Lge 1 team on that showing.

Gotta say, I am first to criticise Barbet for his decision making in our box, so I have to do it to the BFG. His pathetic attempt at a tackle in the box lost that game for us tonight. He was immense in the air for most of the game, but this formation with the full backs high up the pitch will catch him out when the game is played on the floor; little pace to make up the yards.

A poor game that (on the end) we deserved to lose.

I got a bit rattled by the ref too. OK to book Kelly for what he did, but why let Marquis off for doing the same? Also, let everything go then book Nakhi Wells for his first foul. Generally very poor.

A disappointing night.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

On way back on 23:46 - Aug 28 with 4890 viewsactonman

First 20 mins , we looked the team in the league above.
Final ball not there tonight , gave the ball away numerous times and substitutions completely wrong.
Deserved all we got , hope a few learning points observed , move on bad day at the office
On way back on 01:09 - Aug 29 with 4702 viewsozexile

We just need to drop a couple of spots in the league, go out to Blackburn in the FA cup and that's another season done and dusted.
On way back on 01:41 - Aug 29 with 4684 viewsJigsore

Barbet needs to buck his ideas up. Appreciate he's been playing every game but some nice diagonals doesn't make up for making about one big error every game.

Head in the clouds for that second goal

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

On way back on 07:40 - Aug 29 with 4244 views1MoreBrightonR

On way back on 01:41 - Aug 29 by Jigsore

Barbet needs to buck his ideas up. Appreciate he's been playing every game but some nice diagonals doesn't make up for making about one big error every game.

Head in the clouds for that second goal

Big got horribly done for pace on the second but that doesn't mean there should be someone completely unmarked in the middle. That lazyness you expect when You're four down, not one
Login to get fewer ads

On way back on 07:43 - Aug 29 with 4231 viewsWatford_Ranger

On way back on 07:40 - Aug 29 by 1MoreBrightonR

Big got horribly done for pace on the second but that doesn't mean there should be someone completely unmarked in the middle. That lazyness you expect when You're four down, not one

That can happen to a centre half out wide. The Barbet jog was just weird to watch.
On way back on 07:50 - Aug 29 with 4193 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The subs f'ked us.

They started to press after that.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

On way back on 08:32 - Aug 29 with 4005 viewsRblockPrior

Everyone was poor including the manager who made some strange decisions, that was a great chance to get into the next round and get a big team which would bring out more fans who in turn could end up coming to more games.

Why we took Bright off and didn't play Hugill I will never know, again poor mistakes from our CBs cost us. Barbet has a lot of making up to do with me, he is fast approaching being seen as a true liability for us. Leistner the better of the 2 last night but a stupid tackle for the pen.

All in all that was imo our worst performance of the season by a mile

Poll: Of the 3 linked away, who do you think will still be a QPR player come February?

On way back on 09:07 - Aug 29 with 3858 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Some very good summaries of what I witnessed last night on here.

Let us hope it is just a one off (at least until the F A Cup!)
On way back on 09:07 - Aug 29 with 3856 viewsBuckR

Agree we were poor but 7 changes says it all. Sometimes you click with a lot of changes sometimes you dont, unfortunately thats what the Carabao Cup has become nowadays, almost like freindly games. Hasn't changed my mind about us this season, that same team will never play a league game together as an XI this year.
On way back on 09:35 - Aug 29 with 3731 viewsBushRanger82

Typical cup night for win-farkall Rangers.
Know what? We’re too bloody good at losing. That’s why kids round the Bush wear Chelsea kits, Arsenal, Spurs, almost anything but, QPR.
They know, despite their tender years, that Rangers have about as much hope of reaching a cup semi-final, let alone a cup final, as Hartlepool bloody United.
On way back on 09:53 - Aug 29 with 3665 viewsRblockPrior

On way back on 09:35 - Aug 29 by BushRanger82

Know what? We’re too bloody good at losing. That’s why kids round the Bush wear Chelsea kits, Arsenal, Spurs, almost anything but, QPR.
They know, despite their tender years, that Rangers have about as much hope of reaching a cup semi-final, let alone a cup final, as Hartlepool bloody United.

This always worries me when I am walking around the bush and all I ever see is Chelsea, Spurs, United, and Arsenal tops. I even see more Fulham shirts around now than I do QPR, we are losing a generation of supporters and I hate to think what our attendances will be in 10/15 years

Poll: Of the 3 linked away, who do you think will still be a QPR player come February?

On way back on 09:56 - Aug 29 with 3643 viewssimmo

Two crosses from Manning last night gave 6 yard free chances to Pugh and Malarkey, one of them was absolutely exceptional. He deserves more assists but his chance creation from LB has been outstanding, moving him there last season was inspired based on how he's started the season.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

On way back on 09:59 - Aug 29 with 3635 viewsstevec

Have to question Barbet's attitude, not sure I'm going to like this bloke.

BFG at fault for both goals, what was he thinking on first with the blokes back to goal and lack of pace shown up on second. but if Barbet was trying to bury him he did a pretty good job with that token 'effort' to cover.
On way back on 10:10 - Aug 29 with 3592 viewsBushRanger82

On way back on 09:53 - Aug 29 by RblockPrior

This always worries me when I am walking around the bush and all I ever see is Chelsea, Spurs, United, and Arsenal tops. I even see more Fulham shirts around now than I do QPR, we are losing a generation of supporters and I hate to think what our attendances will be in 10/15 years

If things keep carrying on, as they have, Queen’s Park Rangers will go full circle, we will end up a lower tier club playing before average attendances of 4,000, as we did pre-1966/67.
And, if things keep carrying on in the sport, as they have done the last couple of decades, QPR won’t be able to survive long in that state.
On way back on 10:12 - Aug 29 with 3584 viewsDorse

I'm not sure how much we can learn about QPR from games like this as the whole competition has become an upgraded version of the EFL Trophy. The only teams that seem to see the early rounds as a valuable progressive competition are from Leagues 1 and 2. The top two leagues view Aug / Sept matches as inconvenient at best and only begin to look like they take the competition seriously from the Quarter Finals.

It is unpalatable but almost understandable if you are managing a top six Premier League side with an embarrassment of riches available to plug the gaps in the matchday squad. However, for anyone else it risks making you look like a complete fool.

On the face of it, playing BFG and Barbet in the middle with Kane and Manning outside them is not a retrograde step: Hall's fitness needs to be carefully (and actively) managed. Equally, starting with Pugh, Chair and BOS can hardly be seen as a weakened side. Mlakar needs game-time and certainly, prior to last night, seemed to be champing at the bit, so it is understandable.

However, starting wih Smith and Owens, in retrospect, feels like throwing them to the wolves. In my opinion, it is one or the other but not both. Looking at the reports, this seems to have been the crux of the issue. Compared to the Olympic-standard fcukwittery we suffered under McClaren, even last night feels like progress: can anyone see Warburton putting out a similar side to that in the League (or even the FA cup)? Thought not. I am not paid to make these calls and I am only making a critique at a distance with the beneift of hindsight: it is very easy to sound wise after the fact. I am not in any hurry to throw the baby out with the bathwater even if I am deeply unchuffed about QPR losing yet another winnable cup match against lower-league opposition.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

On way back on 10:29 - Aug 29 with 3522 viewsozexile

On way back on 09:35 - Aug 29 by BushRanger82

Good post. I said the same thing to a mate today. Where's the excitement for the next generation. They're not even allowed to dream about Wembley or beating the big boys anymore. We're too busy worrying about finishing 16th every year.
On way back on 10:35 - Aug 29 with 3488 viewsNed_Kennedys

On way back on 10:12 - Aug 29 by Dorse

I'm not sure how much we can learn about QPR from games like this as the whole competition has become an upgraded version of the EFL Trophy. The only teams that seem to see the early rounds as a valuable progressive competition are from Leagues 1 and 2. The top two leagues view Aug / Sept matches as inconvenient at best and only begin to look like they take the competition seriously from the Quarter Finals.

It is unpalatable but almost understandable if you are managing a top six Premier League side with an embarrassment of riches available to plug the gaps in the matchday squad. However, for anyone else it risks making you look like a complete fool.

On the face of it, playing BFG and Barbet in the middle with Kane and Manning outside them is not a retrograde step: Hall's fitness needs to be carefully (and actively) managed. Equally, starting with Pugh, Chair and BOS can hardly be seen as a weakened side. Mlakar needs game-time and certainly, prior to last night, seemed to be champing at the bit, so it is understandable.

However, starting wih Smith and Owens, in retrospect, feels like throwing them to the wolves. In my opinion, it is one or the other but not both. Looking at the reports, this seems to have been the crux of the issue. Compared to the Olympic-standard fcukwittery we suffered under McClaren, even last night feels like progress: can anyone see Warburton putting out a similar side to that in the League (or even the FA cup)? Thought not. I am not paid to make these calls and I am only making a critique at a distance with the beneift of hindsight: it is very easy to sound wise after the fact. I am not in any hurry to throw the baby out with the bathwater even if I am deeply unchuffed about QPR losing yet another winnable cup match against lower-league opposition.

Absolutely no point in playing Mlakar as the lone striker as unless both Wells and Hugill get injured at the same time we will never play him in that role again. I'd have also played Scowen last night to give him a chance to play himself out of the bad form he's been in. Smith was awful last night. The rest of the team selection was ok but BOS did nothing all night and Pugh is still way off match fitness. Manning good again and was our most creative player.

The substitution of Pugh for the hapless Dominic Ball was up there with the very worst of Steve McLaren for me: what on earth was Warburton thinking was going to happen? Owen did alright overall but our midfield had absolutely no creativity when we needed goals.
On way back on 10:49 - Aug 29 with 3420 views00calben

On way back on 10:12 - Aug 29 by Dorse

Agree. Fair play to Brendan Rodgers for playing his strongest team last night, it seems Leicester were the only team in the top 2 divisions to do so. He says he wants to have a go at trophies - exactly how it should be
On way back on 11:08 - Aug 29 with 3332 viewsBushRanger82

On way back on 10:29 - Aug 29 by ozexile

Good post. I said the same thing to a mate today. Where's the excitement for the next generation. They're not even allowed to dream about Wembley or beating the big boys anymore. We're too busy worrying about finishing 16th every year.

The clubs poor attitude towards attempting to gain honours, is slowly killing the club off.
I look around me at Loftus Rd, and the number of grey haired heads is quite high, the number of youngsters, not so.
I don’t know. It’s not even as though we would enjoy a stint in the premier league, I certainly didn’t the last couple, in fact towards the end I was counting the minutes and seconds until we were back in the championship, a league we can compete reasonably well in, certainly not enjoy as much as goo cup run, especially if it finished in a semi-final, or even final itself, appearance.
On way back on 12:40 - Aug 29 with 3125 viewsYorkRanger

Have to say that after Blackpool away last year I vowed no more League cup games for me, unless we drew a big name away from home when we would be expected to lose. I saw seven changes last night and feared the worst...
On way back on 13:02 - Aug 29 with 3055 viewsBklynRanger

Too light in the middle and up front seemed to be the main issue - we couldn't punch through or hold the ball in their attacking third. Flattish performances overall from Chair and BOS but that was very much secondary.

Impressive support from the Pompey fans I must say - came in numbers and were loud and well behaved - no pissing in people's gardens like Swansea.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024