Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? 09:55 - Sep 25 with 28898 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

The teen has polarised many with her passionate speeches about climate change. Sincere teenage fear about her planet's future, or scaremongering rhetoric that is being bankrolled by some organisation(s) from the shadows?
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 09:59 - Sep 25 with 11353 viewsJJB

Pushy parents, I bet she is good at tennis too.

Remember The White City Fighting?
Poll: Would you like to see the return of Mr Warnock?

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:01 - Sep 25 with 11348 viewspastieR

sincere teenage fear, but a media fixation.
It's odd that we're so indifferent to scientists/experts, that we have to rely on the emotion of a 16 year old to drive a debate.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:19 - Sep 25 with 11289 viewsDavieQPR

She was involved with Ingmar Rentzhog 'We Don't Have Time For Climate Change' PR Agency which used her image to gain funds for the firm. He was the one along with her Opera Singer Mother who crafted her rise to fame. They know that no one will robustly challenge a small girl with pigtails .Hence she is the pin up of Extinction Rebellion. Her Mother's book on climate change was released the same day as the organised school childrens strike. Does anyone not think her speeches are very well written for an 18year old immature child.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:30 - Sep 25 with 11259 viewsAntti_Heinola

I think there's a few things here.

1. Everything she says is correct.
2. Someone was needed to break through - it doesn't matter if it's a 16 year old or an 85 year old. The fact she has made world leaders listen is pretty miraculous, regardless of how it was done.
3. But I do worry about the pressure being put on her - I hope she can deal with it. It's an awful lot on a young set of shoulders, regardless of the support she has.
4. The way she has been attacked by sections of the right is nothing short of shameful.

Bare bones.

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:42 - Sep 25 with 11215 viewsLongsufferingR

I'd love to know her views on Brexit
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:48 - Sep 25 with 11185 viewsToast_R

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:42 - Sep 25 by LongsufferingR

I'd love to know her views on Brexit

How dare you
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:50 - Sep 25 with 11185 viewsthame_hoops

I find her very odd, especially her facial expressions, she’s always so angry and dramatic, not sure why she encourages kids to skip school on Fridays

No doubt as herts_ranger said to me, she will get the Nobel peace prize
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:52 - Sep 25 with 11182 viewsrunningman75

I find her interesting and will always look at both sides of the arguments. My 18 year old daughter has called me out for being an old dinosaur politically at times when I thought I was fairly radical it is good that young people have an interest in issues such as politics and the environment rather than just taking selfies.
Login to get fewer ads

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:53 - Sep 25 with 11180 viewspeterlund_dk

If my two kids have the same passion for the health of our planet when they are 16, I'm going to be extremely proud of them.

But they'll most likely turn out to be lazy bums like me, shooting off banterish one-liners left and right.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:55 - Sep 25 with 11173 viewsFDC

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:30 - Sep 25 by Antti_Heinola

I think there's a few things here.

1. Everything she says is correct.
2. Someone was needed to break through - it doesn't matter if it's a 16 year old or an 85 year old. The fact she has made world leaders listen is pretty miraculous, regardless of how it was done.
3. But I do worry about the pressure being put on her - I hope she can deal with it. It's an awful lot on a young set of shoulders, regardless of the support she has.
4. The way she has been attacked by sections of the right is nothing short of shameful.

Re. point 2, I do worry slightly that the appealing image of a young girl scolding world leaders into taking action on climate breakdown is perpetuating the incorrect idea that this is how change happens. I mean, it's great that Thunberg has driven this to front page of the world's newspapers -- that is a good thing, no question. But it fits very comfortably into the 'great man' narrative of history (or, 'great girl' in this case), which is just not how systemic changes occur. If more people decide to get up and do something about the world burning as a result of being inspired by Thunberg then great, obviously.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:06 - Sep 25 with 11141 viewsBuckR

What she says isn't far wrong - but this whole thing has become a circus
[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 11:09]
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:07 - Sep 25 with 11136 viewsWestbourneR

Yeah it's her parents. Really???

I really fail to see how or why any 'shadowy' organisation needs to be behind her words - or why they would be? And why on earth would they push forward a Swedish child to do their work? It's this kind if conspiracy theory mumbo jumbo that has infested everything.

Besides there doesn't need to be an agenda.

The climate change crisis is a SCIENTIFIC FACT.

If you went to 100 doctors and all of them told you that you had illness needed to change your habits to solve it would ignore them? No.

The parallels with smoking are obvious and clear. Lots of people liked smoking but we accepted it was bad for us and made changes.

Why would we not do the same with CO2 emissions?

If you're looking for vested interests I suggest they're much more likely to be part of the answer to that question than they are to be anything to with Greta Thunberg.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:14 - Sep 25 with 11103 viewsTacticalR

@FDC 'But it fits very comfortably into the 'great man' narrative of history (or, 'great girl' in this case), which is just not how systemic changes occur.'

The capitalist world always seems to be in search of these secular saints (Aung San Suu Kyi, Malala etc).

Air hostess clique

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:25 - Sep 25 with 11063 viewsToast_R

It's's good that the state of the planet is now more in the news than ever but kids/Millennials are hardly free from criticism when it comes to f*cking up the planet.

My son started school this September and we were invited to take a peak at the School before term began. Much of the teaching methods today are all computerised, rows of iMacs in their computer room and a huge TV in every class. I imagine it's even more prominent in High Schools. Kids today spend all day engaging with electronic gadgets that need to be updated every year replacing perfectly good working ones for newer models. Probably the biggest consumer of such devices are Millennials. You rarely see kids ride their bikes to school instead they clog the roads getting driven everywhere. Do they ever turn off their tablets and read a book, put down their PS4 controllers and go and play football in the park with their mates? Rarely I'd say.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 11:35]
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:28 - Sep 25 with 11044 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:50 - Sep 25 by thame_hoops

I find her very odd, especially her facial expressions, she’s always so angry and dramatic, not sure why she encourages kids to skip school on Fridays

No doubt as herts_ranger said to me, she will get the Nobel peace prize

She has Aspergers.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:34 - Sep 25 with 11024 viewsFDC

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:14 - Sep 25 by TacticalR

@FDC 'But it fits very comfortably into the 'great man' narrative of history (or, 'great girl' in this case), which is just not how systemic changes occur.'

The capitalist world always seems to be in search of these secular saints (Aung San Suu Kyi, Malala etc).

Definitely. Liberalism doesn't really have a materialist account of history, and only really understands events as the consequence of individual actions rather than material conditions. Which (up until now?) has served to sustain capitalism by obscuring its historical contingency.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:37 - Sep 25 with 10990 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Nm
[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 11:40]
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:38 - Sep 25 with 10987 viewsAntti_Heinola

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:25 - Sep 25 by Toast_R

It's's good that the state of the planet is now more in the news than ever but kids/Millennials are hardly free from criticism when it comes to f*cking up the planet.

My son started school this September and we were invited to take a peak at the School before term began. Much of the teaching methods today are all computerised, rows of iMacs in their computer room and a huge TV in every class. I imagine it's even more prominent in High Schools. Kids today spend all day engaging with electronic gadgets that need to be updated every year replacing perfectly good working ones for newer models. Probably the biggest consumer of such devices are Millennials. You rarely see kids ride their bikes to school instead they clog the roads getting driven everywhere. Do they ever turn off their tablets and read a book, put down their PS4 controllers and go and play football in the park with their mates? Rarely I'd say.

It's almost as if we all need to change isn't it?

Bare bones.

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:43 - Sep 25 with 10967 viewsthame_hoops

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:25 - Sep 25 by Toast_R

Riding a bike to the park is dangerous for the environment, bikes need oil to run effectively

Also playing football is bad for the grass, insects could also be killed, they are safer in their homes playing COD On a PS4
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:46 - Sep 25 with 10960 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:46 - Sep 25 with 10962 viewsBirminghamR

She is right in what she says.

End of.

See the science.

https://report.ipcc.ch/srocc/pdf/SROCC_SPM_Approved.pdf

Someone needs to say it like it is - and I don't care how she chooses to say it.

I'm making changes because otherwise I can't look my children and grand children in the eye.

The science is accepted and clear now
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:00 - Sep 25 with 10922 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:46 - Sep 25 by BirminghamR

She is right in what she says.

End of.

See the science.

https://report.ipcc.ch/srocc/pdf/SROCC_SPM_Approved.pdf

Someone needs to say it like it is - and I don't care how she chooses to say it.

I'm making changes because otherwise I can't look my children and grand children in the eye.

The science is accepted and clear now

Well said.

Even you are still stupid enough to doubt the Science, then Green technology is cleaner and cheaper so you can have a few more quid in your pocket for magic beans and West African princes.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:04 - Sep 25 with 10917 viewsahoz

G'mork, the antagonist in Never Ending Story, said "Whoever has no hope is easy to control, and whoever has control has power!"
So it is with climate change. Globalists, backed by the media, and by an unsuspecting public, take away the hope ("the earth has no future, and it's all man's fault"), unless we abide by their ludicrous controls.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:16 - Sep 25 with 10878 viewsessextaxiboy

The science is undeniable, that a young girl has been terrified politicised and in my view exploited by the adults whose job is to protect her upbringing is child abuse plain and simple IMO .....
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:17 - Sep 25 with 10857 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:04 - Sep 25 by ahoz

G'mork, the antagonist in Never Ending Story, said "Whoever has no hope is easy to control, and whoever has control has power!"
So it is with climate change. Globalists, backed by the media, and by an unsuspecting public, take away the hope ("the earth has no future, and it's all man's fault"), unless we abide by their ludicrous controls.

‘Backed by the media’

[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 12:25]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024