Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? 09:55 - Sep 25 with 29204 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

The teen has polarised many with her passionate speeches about climate change. Sincere teenage fear about her planet's future, or scaremongering rhetoric that is being bankrolled by some organisation(s) from the shadows?
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 14:16 - Oct 5 with 2677 viewsisawqpratwcity

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:58 - Oct 5 by loftboy

Are Extinction rebellion racist?
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/04/extinction-rebellion-race-cl

"Critics say group is not doing enough to involve people of colour, or expose links between climate crisis and inequality"

Thanks, Loftboy.

Can we please stop global temperatures from rising by +2°C before we solve the problems of racial discrimination or economic inequality? It appears to be more pressing.

Concurrent progress is fine, but my kids need to know, climate wise...
[Post edited 5 Oct 2019 14:23]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 22:55 - Oct 6 with 2564 viewsloftboy

Just finished delivering around SW1, every building of importance has a group of police near it, I reckon it’s going to be a huge protest tomorrow.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:51 - Oct 7 with 2504 viewsR_from_afar

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:58 - Oct 5 by loftboy

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/04/extinction-rebellion-race-cl

I hope they are not but they probably have the same issues with diversity that most organisations in W Europe and N America have. There's a lot of work still to be done on diversity, and it is important, but ER should not be singled out because they are far from alone.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:14 - Oct 7 with 2488 viewsMetallica_Hoop

"Wretched of the Earth"

What a great name for a band.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:20 - Oct 7 with 2481 viewsloftboy

Wish me luck this afternoon trying to get peoples shopping delivered, let’s hope there aren’t many pensioners or disabled on my route today.

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:42 - Oct 7 with 2458 viewsFDC

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:51 - Oct 7 by R_from_afar

I hope they are not but they probably have the same issues with diversity that most organisations in W Europe and N America have. There's a lot of work still to be done on diversity, and it is important, but ER should not be singled out because they are far from alone.

Where XR are somewhat unique though is that their founder is Roger Hallam, who has really very bad politics. He was on the Politics Theory Other podcast a few months ago in case anyone wants to listen to him explain his politics in his own words.

There is a huge problem with the group's advice on dealing with police when getting arrested (which is basically what XR want people to do), and in particular vis a vis race. Hallam has some guff about how most prison officers are black (not true) and actually treat black and brown people very well compared to white people (obviously not true).

There's absolutely no question that the group's way of operating is very much not for people without the privilege of being white. Asking a middle class white person to get arrested is completely different to asking a young black man to do the same.

In general, the advice young people but particularly young POC are given by XR about interacting with the police is very problematic. If you are a protester the police are not your friends, even the smiley ones who dance at Notting Hill Carnival, end of story. Hallam is putting young people who are perhaps getting involved in activism for the first time at risk by pretending otherwise.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 13:45]
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 20:49 - Oct 9 with 2336 viewshubble

A lot of people looking into the agenda behind XR, and it looks fishy to me. I'd say whether those involved know it or not, they are in fact promoting a globalist agenda that will see increasing curbs on our freedoms in the name of 'stopping climate change'.

As I've already made it clear, I am extremely sceptical about man-made climate change anyway, and even more sceptical about CO2 reduction. Let's just look at all those dire predictions for a moment and consider them in this light: even with the most powerful supercomputers available, meteorologists cannot forecast the weather accurately even a day ahead... and they're often completely wrong. So how much more likely is it that the doom scenarios are in fact completely wrong too? Highly, I'd say. In fact I'd say people are being played, and Ms Thunberg is the perfect (unwitting) vehicle for this emotion-based narrative.

These gentlemen have it right IMO:

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 21:00 - Oct 9 with 2328 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:42 - Oct 7 by FDC

Where XR are somewhat unique though is that their founder is Roger Hallam, who has really very bad politics. He was on the Politics Theory Other podcast a few months ago in case anyone wants to listen to him explain his politics in his own words.

There is a huge problem with the group's advice on dealing with police when getting arrested (which is basically what XR want people to do), and in particular vis a vis race. Hallam has some guff about how most prison officers are black (not true) and actually treat black and brown people very well compared to white people (obviously not true).

There's absolutely no question that the group's way of operating is very much not for people without the privilege of being white. Asking a middle class white person to get arrested is completely different to asking a young black man to do the same.

In general, the advice young people but particularly young POC are given by XR about interacting with the police is very problematic. If you are a protester the police are not your friends, even the smiley ones who dance at Notting Hill Carnival, end of story. Hallam is putting young people who are perhaps getting involved in activism for the first time at risk by pretending otherwise.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 13:45]

I did not know that!
Login to get fewer ads

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 21:04 - Oct 9 with 2324 viewsMiss_Terraces

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 20:49 - Oct 9 by hubble

A lot of people looking into the agenda behind XR, and it looks fishy to me. I'd say whether those involved know it or not, they are in fact promoting a globalist agenda that will see increasing curbs on our freedoms in the name of 'stopping climate change'.

As I've already made it clear, I am extremely sceptical about man-made climate change anyway, and even more sceptical about CO2 reduction. Let's just look at all those dire predictions for a moment and consider them in this light: even with the most powerful supercomputers available, meteorologists cannot forecast the weather accurately even a day ahead... and they're often completely wrong. So how much more likely is it that the doom scenarios are in fact completely wrong too? Highly, I'd say. In fact I'd say people are being played, and Ms Thunberg is the perfect (unwitting) vehicle for this emotion-based narrative.

Like you Hubble, I have many suspicions about this movement.
I actually think things are far worse than they are making out. They make predictions for decades later. How can we take these predictions seriously, the world is changing so quickly. Thirty years ago were they putting the internet into their calculations. Wars in the Middle East? Alright fair enough that is predictable but the weapons. We all know how much we as a planet spends on defence (attack).

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:48 - Oct 10 with 2170 viewsR_from_afar

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 20:49 - Oct 9 by hubble

>> It's not an agenda, she, like many other individuals and organisations, is promoting the scientific consensus (from 97% of climate scientists, from reputable, established, independent organisations publishing peer-reviewed science, e.g. NASA, universities, Met Office).

>> It's global for obvious reasons.

>> If activities are making the planet we all inhabit uninhabitable, or causing premature deaths, then it is not unreasonable to take some action against them.

>> It's science based, not emotion based. If any argument is "emotion-based," it is the deniers'.
Weather is not climate. We know how greenhouse gas emissions influence climate - taking into account all the other climate affecting factors (e.g. the sun, airborne aerosols, volcanic activity, the motion of the earth) - based on the geological record, temperature records and proxies like tree ring data.

You might like to read the book "The hockey stick and the climate wars", as I have. The science is explained, the e-mail hacking is covered. A book by an actual climate scientist, not someone in a political or lobbying group, a scientist who was not even looking for the human fingerprint on our climate when he stumbled across it.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 14:46 - Oct 10 with 2140 viewsloftboy

Andrew Neil absolutely owns this

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 15:42 - Oct 10 with 2086 viewshopphoops

I wouldn't put much faith in youtube vids which use the word "destroys" in a non-literal sense.

No petrochemical companies AFAIK deny the reality of anthropogenic climate heating any more; their medium-term success depends on winning renewable market share. It's just they each have quite a few billions worth of inventory on tap which they "need" to get to market while the technology and regulation is still on their side. The three ways to do that: delay the transition by any means possible; accelerate their output; and gain market share by limiting their competitors' output as far as possible without collapsing demand.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 20:14 - Oct 10 with 2020 viewsgobbles

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:20 - Oct 7 by loftboy

Wish me luck this afternoon trying to get peoples shopping delivered, let’s hope there aren’t many pensioners or disabled on my route today.

Do you deliver to Parliament Square or Whitehall? If not, I think you'll be OK
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 20:25 - Oct 10 with 2014 viewsloftboy

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 20:14 - Oct 10 by gobbles

Do you deliver to Parliament Square or Whitehall? If not, I think you'll be OK

I do the whole area, even done number 10 , I’ve done the cabinet office, conservative HQ and just about every office block in the square mile

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 16:24 - Oct 11 with 1884 viewsCaptainPugwash

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGmz9rHWoAAP_gf?format=jpg&name=medium
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 16:33 - Oct 11 with 1871 viewsFDC

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 16:24 - Oct 11 by CaptainPugwash

Edgy.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 18:21 - Oct 11 with 1834 viewsR_from_afar

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 16:24 - Oct 11 by CaptainPugwash

Ahoy there, cap'n, do you tend to come across many dogs when you're sailing the seven seas?

And while I am here, Greta Thunberg tweeted that "an old wooden boat" had attempted to pursue her yacht across the Atlantic, at one point hoisting a black and white flag. Is there something you'd like to tell us?

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 20:46 - Oct 11 with 1785 viewsMiss_Terraces

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 16:33 - Oct 11 by FDC

Edgy.

I was very tempted to upvote you, so count me as a half. I will make it up next time.

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024