Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? 09:55 - Sep 25 with 29052 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

The teen has polarised many with her passionate speeches about climate change. Sincere teenage fear about her planet's future, or scaremongering rhetoric that is being bankrolled by some organisation(s) from the shadows?
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:38 - Sep 25 with 3185 viewsMetallica_Hoop

It annoys me greatly that overpopulation is never mentioned by these people.

Yes it is effecting our resources and our climate yet people turn a blind eye.

I wonder why?

Actually I think I know why.

(temped to put then she swallowed a fly) (like in the rhyme not the swede)

Guess it's not de-rigueur to criticize two of the major religions.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:46 - Sep 25 with 3162 viewsAntti_Heinola

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:38 - Sep 25 by Metallica_Hoop

I wonder why?

Well, it is mentioned. A lot.
But there's not a lot that can be done about it unless you want to randomly exterminate a few billion people?
Birth rates in richer nations are coming down now anyway and have been for some time - some countries actually have the opposite problem.
So, it's probably better to focus on all the other things we could possibly do, first?
I'm not sure it has anything to do with religion. I mean, what's your solution? Because the only solution that has worked anywhere to any real degree is bringing places completely out of poverty, which I do agree, should be a major aim, if not the major aim of the world. Education about birth control is also a pretty large and ongoing project. So I'm not quite sure you're right there.

Bare bones.

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:47 - Sep 25 with 3157 viewsMrSheen

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:14 - Sep 25 by TacticalR

@FDC 'But it fits very comfortably into the 'great man' narrative of history (or, 'great girl' in this case), which is just not how systemic changes occur.'

The capitalist world always seems to be in search of these secular saints (Aung San Suu Kyi, Malala etc).

Not just the capitalist world, surely?

[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 12:52]
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:54 - Sep 25 with 3129 viewsMetallica_Hoop

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:46 - Sep 25 by Antti_Heinola

But there's not a lot that can be done about it unless you want to randomly exterminate a few billion people?
Birth rates in richer nations are coming down now anyway and have been for some time - some countries actually have the opposite problem.
So, it's probably better to focus on all the other things we could possibly do, first?
I'm not sure it has anything to do with religion. I mean, what's your solution? Because the only solution that has worked anywhere to any real degree is bringing places completely out of poverty, which I do agree, should be a major aim, if not the major aim of the world. Education about birth control is also a pretty large and ongoing project. So I'm not quite sure you're right there.

Well whenever I see these protesters (whichever group they happen to be) I never see any 'Stop overpopulation' placards or banners.

Why not?

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:12 - Sep 25 with 3065 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:38 - Sep 25 by Metallica_Hoop

I wonder why?

It annoys me too. Elon Musk actually thinks that the “gravest” problem facing humans is a population collapse. As for Jeff Bezos, he wants us to colonise space.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:17 - Sep 25 with 3057 viewsTacticalR

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:47 - Sep 25 by MrSheen

Not just the capitalist world, surely?

[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 12:52]

By no means, although we are not just talking about the glorious leaders.

In Russia you had the cult of Stakhanov the model worker, and in China the cult of Lei Feng the model red guard.

Air hostess clique

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:26 - Sep 25 with 3027 viewsMiss_Terraces

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:06 - Sep 25 by BuckR

What she says isn't far wrong - but this whole thing has become a circus
[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 11:09]

This is where I'm at too.
Globalisation, make all your products in China (Country with a terrible green record), then ship them out to the world. Surely this is has done huge damage to our planet.
Buy your sh!t local, as our QPR prophet proclaimed a few years ago

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:34 - Sep 25 with 3000 viewsAntti_Heinola

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:54 - Sep 25 by Metallica_Hoop

Well whenever I see these protesters (whichever group they happen to be) I never see any 'Stop overpopulation' placards or banners.

Why not?

Think I explained why not?

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:35 - Sep 25 with 2996 viewsFDC

I wonder why?

Eugenics is not the answer to taking carbon out of atmosphere, that's why.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:44 - Sep 25 with 2969 viewsEsox_Lucius

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:46 - Sep 25 by Antti_Heinola

As I read only yesterday; "there will never be enough money to feed billions while there isn't enough money to satiate billionaires".

The grass is always greener.

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:49 - Sep 25 with 2952 viewsFDC

A while ago somebody (PunteR?) said something along the lines of "why should climate change be made political?". One answer to which is, because the response to climate change could look like eugenics, build a wall, scramble for the life boats etc., or it could look egalitarian and be used as an opportunity to improve the lives of most people.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:51 - Sep 25 with 2945 viewsTacticalR

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:35 - Sep 25 by FDC

Eugenics is not the answer to taking carbon out of atmosphere, that's why.

There are two different (but often intertwined) outlooks:

Malthusianism = Too many people
Eugenics = Too many of the wrong sort of people

I leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide which category Farage's recent speech to CPAC falls under:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/12/nigel-farage-prince-harry-megha

Air hostess clique

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 14:15 - Sep 25 with 2880 viewsLythamR

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:51 - Sep 25 by TacticalR

I leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide which category Farage's recent speech to CPAC falls under:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/12/nigel-farage-prince-harry-megha

in terms of population impact the article below is interesting, its from 2009 but the maths havent changed

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2009/08/are-you-heating-the-planet-when-you-

The Population Reference Bureau, a Washington, D.C.-based research institute, released a report Wednesday that projects the world population will reach 7 billion at some point in 2011. Does the collective exhalation of carbon dioxide from all those people contribute significantly to global warming?

No. Human beings do exhale almost 3 billion tons of carbon dioxide annually, but the carbon we exhale is the same carbon that was “inhaled” from the atmosphere by the plants we consume. (When we eat meat, we’re still eating the same carbon, except that it passes through livestock on its way into our mouths and out into the atmosphere.) The only way to add to the carbon in the atmosphere is to take it from a sequestered source like fossil fuels–where it has been safe from the atmosphere for millions of years–and combust it. So breathe easy.

The average human exhales about 2.3 pounds of carbon dioxide on an average day. (The exact quantity depends on your activity level–a person engaged in vigorous exercise produces up to eight times as much CO2 as his sedentary brethren.) Take this number and multiply by a population of 7 billion people, breathing away for 365.25 days per year, and you get an annual CO2 output of 2.94 billion tons. International carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuel combustion for 2008 topped 34.7 billion tons. So the human race breathes out about 8.5 percent as much carbon as we burn. Experts are quick to point out that this figure is meaningless, since human respiration is part of a “closed loop cycle” in which our carbon dioxide output is matched by the carbon dioxide taken in by the wheat, corn, celery, and Ugli fruit that we eat. This is true as a practical matter.

In fact, the loop is not entirely closed. The amount of carbon that a human breathes out is exactly equal to the amount of carbon he takes in minus the amount of carbon that contributes to the person’s body mass. This means that the human body–like all animals–is a very modest carbon sequestration device. How modest? We’re each about 18 percent carbon by weight. If the average human weight is around 120 pounds–that’s the Explainer’s very rough estimate, encompassing both children and adults–there are about 21.6 pounds of carbon stored in the average person. So every time we add a billion people to the planet’s population (which we’re now doing every 12 years), we end up pulling 10.8 million tons of carbon out of the atmosphere–or enough to offset the annual output of almost 9 million cars. Even when a person dies, he takes a little carbon with him. Bones decompose very slowly, and some tiny amount of your carbon–how much depends on the conditions of your burial–will ultimately remain sequestered in the ground. Physiologically speaking, the existence of people and our livestock is removing carbon from the atmosphere, albeit at an incredibly slow rate.

In practice, of course, each additional person contributes a net gain of carbon to the atmosphere, since we combust far more carbon than our bodies sequester. The average American was responsible for 11,444 pounds of carbon emission last year, which makes for a whopping 890,000 pounds during a normal lifespan if emissions were to remain steady. You’d have to weigh almost 5 million pounds to store that much carbon in your body.

Got a question about today’s news? Ask the Explainer.

Explainer thanks Jay Gulledge of the Pew Center on Climate Change.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 14:21 - Sep 25 with 2864 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:51 - Sep 25 by TacticalR

Prince Harry = The “Prince of Wokeness”.

That is actually quite funny.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 14:37 - Sep 25 with 2831 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I think she’s a treasure!

I read someone querying her twitches etc. above. If I’m not mistaken, she was diagnosed with Aspergers as a young girl. So to stand up and face ridicule as she has, speaks more about her character then those who try making fun of her.

I think she’s 100% right, the anecdotal evidence alone is compelling and her action has elevated the issue; almost putting it in human terms! The fact so many young people have rallied to the call is also brilliant, and more power to them.

What no one seems to also appreciate, is here is this kid eloquently stating her arguments and putting supposed leaders to shame, and she’s doing it in a foreign language. Not many 16 year olds could do that.

I hope she doesn’t become disillusioned or exploited by more unscrupulous elements. Well done her and the millions of kids kicking up a stink about the destruction of our planet!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 14:42 - Sep 25 with 2825 viewsFDC

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 14:37 - Sep 25 by PlanetHonneywood

I think she’s a treasure!

I read someone querying her twitches etc. above. If I’m not mistaken, she was diagnosed with Aspergers as a young girl. So to stand up and face ridicule as she has, speaks more about her character then those who try making fun of her.

I think she’s 100% right, the anecdotal evidence alone is compelling and her action has elevated the issue; almost putting it in human terms! The fact so many young people have rallied to the call is also brilliant, and more power to them.

What no one seems to also appreciate, is here is this kid eloquently stating her arguments and putting supposed leaders to shame, and she’s doing it in a foreign language. Not many 16 year olds could do that.

I hope she doesn’t become disillusioned or exploited by more unscrupulous elements. Well done her and the millions of kids kicking up a stink about the destruction of our planet!!

I'm a lecturer and went out with the students at last Friday's climate strike. It was a pretty big rally, with a real mix of school age kids, students, unionists etc. What was really striking (no pun intended) was that when at the end of the rally some organisers tried to usher everyone in to a big car park (i shit you not) for some reason, it was the very youngest protesters there that ignored them and shut down the ring road for a while. And then, when the police tried to clear them, it was the students who formed a break away march and drove the police further up the road. The kids are all right. They correctly identify that their generation has been badly let down.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 14:43]
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 15:00 - Sep 25 with 2780 viewskropotkin41

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:14 - Sep 25 by TacticalR

@FDC 'But it fits very comfortably into the 'great man' narrative of history (or, 'great girl' in this case), which is just not how systemic changes occur.'

The capitalist world always seems to be in search of these secular saints (Aung San Suu Kyi, Malala etc).

Couldn't agree more. The latest in a line of threadbare Tyler Wats pleading for the rulers of the world to make things better.

I'm sure Greta Thunberg is a genuine person, I also know that we have walked this road many times before to no avail. I'm not impressed by the crowds or the compliant so-called social movement. There's little by way of analysis behind all this "action".

Where are the voices in the UN from Chiapas, Rojava, from the worker-occupied factories in South America, from Gaza?

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 15:00 - Sep 25 with 2777 viewsBuckR

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 14:42 - Sep 25 by FDC

I'm a lecturer and went out with the students at last Friday's climate strike. It was a pretty big rally, with a real mix of school age kids, students, unionists etc. What was really striking (no pun intended) was that when at the end of the rally some organisers tried to usher everyone in to a big car park (i shit you not) for some reason, it was the very youngest protesters there that ignored them and shut down the ring road for a while. And then, when the police tried to clear them, it was the students who formed a break away march and drove the police further up the road. The kids are all right. They correctly identify that their generation has been badly let down.

Jesus wept!
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 15:01 - Sep 25 with 2772 viewsPlanetHonneywood

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 14:42 - Sep 25 by FDC

Tactics deployed by the ICF in the 80s if I’m not mistaken!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 15:07 - Sep 25 with 2762 viewsBuckR

N/M
[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 15:07]
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 15:16 - Sep 25 with 2730 viewsBoston

Slowly but surely my objections to class war are being worn away.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 15:44 - Sep 25 with 2688 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 13:44 - Sep 25 by Esox_Lucius

As I read only yesterday; "there will never be enough money to feed billions while there isn't enough money to satiate billionaires".

Or as an old saying goes "there's more than enough to feed everyone but there'll never be enough to feed some".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 16:01 - Sep 25 with 2664 viewsloftboy

She’s wasting her breath unless china, USA , Russia and India come on board, I actually think the UK is trying to address this, I’m all for wind farms. Solar panels and trying to harvest some hyrdro power from our surrounding seas.
I heard the other day not sure if it’s true but China produce more CO2 per hour than the uk ha let produced in its history. You have Brazilian bandits burning the amazon I’m not sure they’ll listen to a teenager. I’m a little bit sick of the uk trying to police the world, some of these countries need to step up themselves.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 16:13 - Sep 25 with 2637 viewsDorse

Someone always ends up being the figurehead for a movement or debate. If it wasn't Greta, it would have been someone like her. She's doing what she thinks is right and has very quickly gained access to the decision-makers in a way that other people simply dream about. For what it's worth, she has inspired Mini Dorse and Tantor, which is tricky to do without a) a lightsaber or b) being a pony.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 16:34 - Sep 25 with 2602 viewsRANGERS4EVER

One thing it does show is how toxic social media can be.

Imagine a 40 year old bloke walk into a school or a park and start screaming at a 16 year old girl with autism, calling her a c*nt or wishing death upon her. It would be disgusting, vile, probably resulting in them getting arrested and a public outcry.

Now put the exact same situation on social media, and it gets thousands of retweets and some praise.

I don't care about the situation really, don't know whether to agree or disagree with the whole situation, but if you are really out there shaming and abusing a 16 year old girl you need your head checked

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024