Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No-fault car accident advice please 10:50 - Sep 27 with 5728 viewsGloryHunter

My wife's car has just been written off. Completely the other driver's fault. We're being told we will get only the market value of the car - £500 - which is not enough to buy a similar replacement car.

Any advice as to how we can get our claims handler to extract a more realistic settlement from the guilty party's insurers?

(Wife walked away with only a few bruises and mild concussion, thankfully - saved by the airbags.)
No-fault car accident advice please on 07:36 - Oct 10 with 961 viewsFaurlinho

Beat me to it: very good.. (accidentally down-arrowed)
No-fault car accident advice please on 10:40 - Oct 10 with 884 viewsGloryHunter

No-fault car accident advice please on 20:20 - Oct 9 by Jeff

The retired GP will in fact be a ‘Medico legal expert’ who has experience writing medical reports for car accidents - many GP’s go into this field when they get bored of dishing out antibiotics for the common cold. (S)he will be absolutely impartial - in my many years of personal injury claims never came across a biased one, nor one who didn’t know their stuff - especially on relatively minor whiplash claims.

You can, if you wish, reject their Expert of choice, but bear in mind your local GP probably doesn’t do medical reports, you may need to find another one yourself who writes medical reports, submit it to them so they can chose to reject if you so wish, and will probably have to fund the cost upfront because they won’t be on any sort of invoicing terms with the insurer.

In summary, go with Their recommended expert...

Thanks Jeff, appreciate your advice.
No-fault car accident advice please on 13:54 - Oct 10 with 831 viewsMrGrieves

No-fault car accident advice please on 10:23 - Sep 30 by GloryHunter

What's a CFA?

Conditional Fee Agreement. A no-win no fee agreement with a firm of solicitors, but they often take a chunk of your damages if the claim is successful.
No-fault car accident advice please on 00:35 - Oct 11 with 751 viewsEastLondonR

Apologies for not replying earlier. As MrGrieves said, Conditional Fee Agreement which generally means they will take 25% of your claim. If you have legal expenses insurance then there is no deduction.

Agree with everything Jeff said regarding medico legal report. Don't be pushed into settling early. Make sure your wife tells the Doctor about her fear of driving and ask for physio for the whiplash injury. The more physio the higher damages especially as most insurers use Computer programs to calculate how much to offer for whiplash claims.
No-fault car accident advice please on 15:50 - Oct 12 with 675 viewsGloryHunter

Once again, thanks everybody for their advice. I love this board - there's always an expert or three willing to help, whatever the subject is. Even if we don't always agree with each other about football or politics!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024