Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lumley 20:01 - Sep 28 with 7218 viewsBobbi66

Worries me every time the ball is played back to him
Lumley on 20:22 - Sep 28 with 3689 viewsEsox_Lucius

The fans worry me more, they seem to think that a team that cost fück all should be winning every game and throw their toys out of the pram at every set back.
MW has decided that we will be playing the ball out from the back so pull your panties up and get used to it.

The grass is always greener.

Lumley on 20:30 - Sep 28 with 3645 viewsHunterhoop

Lumley on 20:22 - Sep 28 by Esox_Lucius

The fans worry me more, they seem to think that a team that cost fück all should be winning every game and throw their toys out of the pram at every set back.
MW has decided that we will be playing the ball out from the back so pull your panties up and get used to it.

Woah, there is a balance here.

I want Lumley to succeed and be our keeper for 3 years and then we sell him for loads.

But he is all over the shop. He screwed up 3 back pass clearances in the first half alone. He com exes a soft long range effort at his near post. And this isn’t a one off. He made some good saves late on hit the game was gone.

I want him to succeed. But if he was dropped I would not argue it was unfair.
Lumley on 20:34 - Sep 28 with 3632 viewsRangersw12

Sorry but Lumley has been poor all season and hasn't really been the same since the Villa game when he got a kick in the head

No harm in giving him a rest for a few weeks and let Kelly have as chance
Lumley on 20:52 - Sep 28 with 3565 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I saw the lad keep out at least four difficult shots today and saved us a thrashing.

Swings and roundabouts.
Lumley on 22:01 - Sep 28 with 3418 viewsBlackCrowe

Lumley on 20:52 - Sep 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

I saw the lad keep out at least four difficult shots today and saved us a thrashing.

Swings and roundabouts.

No point scoring a couple of approaches closes to the pin if you fluff the putt. Or boundaries if you then lose your wicket cheaply at a crucial stage. Crap analogies but you get the picture. I like him, but he's got the yips.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Lumley on 22:04 - Sep 28 with 3406 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lumley on 22:01 - Sep 28 by BlackCrowe

No point scoring a couple of approaches closes to the pin if you fluff the putt. Or boundaries if you then lose your wicket cheaply at a crucial stage. Crap analogies but you get the picture. I like him, but he's got the yips.

Agree he has the yips, which is a good thing because ut can be overcome. We know what he was like before he had them so we have something to work off and too.
Lumley on 22:18 - Sep 28 with 3376 viewsessextaxiboy

I would never give him pelters at a game, but TBH I have always had reservation about Lumley.
When he first got into the side I felt he rode his luck in too many games and that cannot last for ever , for me he is not athletic enough, he doesnt command his area strongly enough and he is unsuited to playing from the back which is how we choose to play. Shot stopping is his strong point as long as they are a decent height . Penaltys are a gamble on the direction which hasnt paid off ever as far as I am aware .
There has been a couple of threads lately where I decided not to post this but this is the place to say it and not at the game.

However I have never been impressed with any Scottish keeper ever . Even their Internationals have always been shite so I have reservations about the alternative .

Its just my opinion many will disagree I am sure ..
Lumley on 22:19 - Sep 28 with 3373 viewsbosh67

He isn't as good as Smithies.... yet. Has lost confidence with the ball at his feet. Should have got something on the first goal but the team should have closed the player down. Followed by two world class saves. If they can work on the ball at his feet he will be a lot better.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Login to get fewer ads

Lumley on 22:36 - Sep 28 with 3345 viewsNed_Kennedys

Wind your neck in: not everyone has a Lumley fixation like yourself. He's made (and is continuing to make) a number of mistakes and is certainly not undroppable. Kelly should be given a chance to see what he can do, just as Lumley himself got the chance after Ingram made a number of mistakes early last season.
Lumley on 23:29 - Sep 28 with 3275 viewsWokingham_r

Swings and roundabouts.

agree with this
Lumley on 23:58 - Sep 28 with 3221 viewsBoston

Lumley on 23:29 - Sep 28 by Wokingham_r

agree with this

He's pretty good with the roundabouts, swings have us worried though.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Lumley on 00:25 - Sep 29 with 3179 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Lumley on 22:04 - Sep 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

Agree he has the yips, which is a good thing because ut can be overcome. We know what he was like before he had them so we have something to work off and too.

I agree with Bazza here those late saves shows some mental strength and he does not crumble after a poor mistake .But he has cost us big momentum swings when he lets in soft ones just like the Sheffield Utd keeper today that howler cost them 1 point at least and also cost Man City 2 points .Being the last line of defense is high stress you have to be slightly out there to play in net ..Lets throw Kelly in on Wednesday and see how it changes the dynamic
Lumley on 00:38 - Sep 29 with 3167 viewsBklynRanger

Lumley on 22:19 - Sep 28 by bosh67

He isn't as good as Smithies.... yet. Has lost confidence with the ball at his feet. Should have got something on the first goal but the team should have closed the player down. Followed by two world class saves. If they can work on the ball at his feet he will be a lot better.

There were no world class saves today Bosh. He did make one excellent save to his right in the second half.

I fear that Joe's being asked to do too many things at once - the type of game we play is going to need a lot from a keeper - positioning, kicking, making the right decisions, coming for crosses when it all fcuks up or not...many other aspects of goalkeepery we know nothing about. He's more of a fulcrum than a lot of other goal-shot-tenders playing other systems need to be.

I do like Joe - he's desperate to do well, barks all game like a mad crow, don't want him to leave but I was firmly in favour of putting him on an equal footing with Kelly and letting them fight it out week by week. Now I'm not convinced that Warbs is really convinced with Kelly - otherwise I honestly believe he'd have been in this week. Rumours about that Austrian fella were quickly quashed but I'd be surprised if something doesn't happen one way or another between now and the end of January.
Lumley on 01:21 - Sep 29 with 3122 viewsFDC

Funny one really. I'd expected to have seen Kelly get a run by now. But, MW seems sensitive to players' confidence. Dropping keepers after they've made a goal scoring mistake is a clear signal. I wonder if he might hold out for a bit and bench Lumley after he's had a couple of unremarkable games.
Lumley on 06:24 - Sep 29 with 2994 views18StoneOfHoop

Lumley on 00:38 - Sep 29 by BklynRanger

There were no world class saves today Bosh. He did make one excellent save to his right in the second half.

I fear that Joe's being asked to do too many things at once - the type of game we play is going to need a lot from a keeper - positioning, kicking, making the right decisions, coming for crosses when it all fcuks up or not...many other aspects of goalkeepery we know nothing about. He's more of a fulcrum than a lot of other goal-shot-tenders playing other systems need to be.

I do like Joe - he's desperate to do well, barks all game like a mad crow, don't want him to leave but I was firmly in favour of putting him on an equal footing with Kelly and letting them fight it out week by week. Now I'm not convinced that Warbs is really convinced with Kelly - otherwise I honestly believe he'd have been in this week. Rumours about that Austrian fella were quickly quashed but I'd be surprised if something doesn't happen one way or another between now and the end of January.

Bklyn,
Austrian keeper rumour was quickly quashed? Where?
His show reel never once playing/kicking it out was a bit odd.
I missed that quashing..anyone got the link?
Agree with Hunter's equivocal but correct post.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2019 6:42]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Lumley on 07:59 - Sep 29 with 2882 viewsBklynRanger

Lumley on 06:24 - Sep 29 by 18StoneOfHoop

Bklyn,
Austrian keeper rumour was quickly quashed? Where?
His show reel never once playing/kicking it out was a bit odd.
I missed that quashing..anyone got the link?
Agree with Hunter's equivocal but correct post.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2019 6:42]

Don't think I'll be able to find the link, 18, sorry - somebody else might. There was one quick comment from Warbs last week where he answered that he was happy with his keepers. Can't completely remember who asked but that was the answer anyway.
Lumley on 09:11 - Sep 29 with 2775 viewspaulparker

Swings and roundabouts.

No good being lev Yashin when we are 2 down
The first goal he should have saved and his kicking was awful all game , for his size he should be “the keeper” in this league unfortunately he isn’t and lacks concentration
Time for him to be dropped

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Lumley on 09:34 - Sep 29 with 2733 viewsPinnerPaul

Agree - I said at the Luton match we (and any team that plays like this) ARE going to give goals away playing this way - see LLoris yeaterday!

Having said that Lumley does look a little short on confidence at the moment - don't think that's over reacting - just saying what we see as they say on Catchphrase!
Lumley on 10:17 - Sep 29 with 2671 viewsStoicHoop

If Warburton doesn’t pick Kelly for Cardiff then Lumley really is bulletproof.

Part of the reason we were on the back foot in the first 30 mins was his poor control and anxiety ridden kicking. It spread to the crowd a bit, too.

And he should certainly have saved the first goal.

Will be interesting to see what happens on Wednesday.

I’m looking forward to going.
Lumley on 10:45 - Sep 29 with 2625 viewsTacticalR

Lumley on 20:34 - Sep 28 by Rangersw12

Sorry but Lumley has been poor all season and hasn't really been the same since the Villa game when he got a kick in the head

No harm in giving him a rest for a few weeks and let Kelly have as chance

Unfortunately being kicked in the head has a negative effect on some men.

Air hostess clique

Lumley on 11:59 - Sep 29 with 2524 viewssupahoopsa

While I agree that Joe should have saved the first goal, am I the only one who's a little bit disappointed with the BFG for ducking out of the way of the shot? Watch the goal from behind the goal, he seems to swerve out of the way and Joe then sees the ball late.

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Lumley on 12:06 - Sep 29 with 2508 viewsLoftgirl

Lumley on 11:59 - Sep 29 by supahoopsa

While I agree that Joe should have saved the first goal, am I the only one who's a little bit disappointed with the BFG for ducking out of the way of the shot? Watch the goal from behind the goal, he seems to swerve out of the way and Joe then sees the ball late.

Also, from where I was watching, Australia, for the second goal no-one has mentioned that the wall jumped out of the way.
Lumley on 12:12 - Sep 29 with 2485 viewsWatford_Ranger

A lot of unnecessary hyperbole about Lumley’s distribution. There will be mistakes when we play this way and perhaps we shouldn’t as much without our more supposed “ball-playing” defenders. It’s also key to some of the great football we’ve seen recently and goals like Eze at Stoke which came as a result of the goalkeeper and defence being brave in possession. Takes some balls to (successfully) make some of the passes he did after Luton.

Don’t know anything about the lad on the bench but if the only positive is “he ain’t Lumley” then I’m not convinced.
Lumley on 12:22 - Sep 29 with 2464 viewsstainrods_elbow

Lumley on 00:38 - Sep 29 by BklynRanger

Aren't the things you mention the things any half-decent goalkeeper should normally be mastering anyway? Whether it' s a lack of confidence, concentration or capability, or all three right now, I'm not sure, but he's a rickety link for us at best. I suspect if we still had Smithies, we'd be top of the league right now, but the balance sheet mattered more to the number crunchers, so we're stuck with his palpable inadequacies. Le'ts hope that someone on the coaching side can work with him, and he's got it in him to improve. Personally, I think he definitely needs a spell on the sidelines.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Lumley on 13:15 - Sep 29 with 2366 viewsstevec

Lumley on 22:18 - Sep 28 by essextaxiboy

I would never give him pelters at a game, but TBH I have always had reservation about Lumley.
When he first got into the side I felt he rode his luck in too many games and that cannot last for ever , for me he is not athletic enough, he doesnt command his area strongly enough and he is unsuited to playing from the back which is how we choose to play. Shot stopping is his strong point as long as they are a decent height . Penaltys are a gamble on the direction which hasnt paid off ever as far as I am aware .
There has been a couple of threads lately where I decided not to post this but this is the place to say it and not at the game.

However I have never been impressed with any Scottish keeper ever . Even their Internationals have always been shite so I have reservations about the alternative .

Its just my opinion many will disagree I am sure ..

Agree with all of this, the other keeper must be looking very ropey in training if he can’t get a game.

His footwork when the balls in his possession is one thing, but it’s his footwork when he’s keeping goal that is his undoing. Just can’t push off properly, hence the ‘soft’ hands. If he could correct that you’d think he’d have done it by now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024