Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'Made for TV' World Athletics Championships 22:22 - Sep 29 with 2057 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Anybody else watch the Women's Pole Vault?

Very impressed with Asher-Smith. Unfortunately came up against a Superstar!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

The 'Made for TV' World Athletics Championships on 15:03 - Sep 30 with 1673 viewshamptonhillhoop

I think there were more people in my front room than in the stadium for Asher-Smith's lap of honour.

Is this what the World Cup's going to be like?
The 'Made for TV' World Athletics Championships on 16:52 - Sep 30 with 1584 viewsPlanetHonneywood

The 'Made for TV' World Athletics Championships on 15:03 - Sep 30 by hamptonhillhoop

I think there were more people in my front room than in the stadium for Asher-Smith's lap of honour.

Is this what the World Cup's going to be like?

Heat - I went down to watch the women’s marathon and lasted 30 minutes! It was too hot and too humid; thankfully the air quality had improved from the day prior. I’ve never seen runners sweating that profusely, much less that early in a race. The stadium is air conditioned, and the difference is palpable. However, I’ll stick my cock on the block now, and say Tokyo will be the same or worse.

Fans - first footy game I went to see here, I’d say 50 spectators top. But the equivalent of the European SuperCup for African nations took place and was not full, but was packed.

I don’t think Qatar/IAAF marketed it well. The population is about 2.3m and of that: 300,000 are Qatari who don’t really go to these things (and yet bizarrely, the place went doolally when Qatar won the Asia Cup). 90% of the migrant workers just can’t afford it and so realistically, you’re expecting to fill out a 40k seater stadium (with seat spoilers in place) from about a market of 200-250,000 expats. No surprises then given that it finishes late and work starts early here for many, that crowds are so low. Plus there’s a blockade going on and folks from the region can’t fly in and by folks, I mean expats. They should have given away seats to the African migrant workers; they’d fill it and they bring a huge footballesque atmosphere.

Qatar has hosted the gymnastics and handball world championships and the attendances were dire. Now this! They’ll bus fans in for the World Cup. But from my time here, the bigger issue will be how they cope with demanding partisan fans? You can’t just bring a load of migrant workers in and expect systems to work, they need practice and experience. The impending World Club Championship might give an indicator of how they’ll cope if crowds come here...a week before Xmas!

I just don’t think this issue of hosting a World Cup in the run up to Xmas has been factored in. It’s very expensive here and if they don’t reduce the costs, people might vote with their wallets.

This is Doha Rs reporting for Loftforwords News

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

The 'Made for TV' World Athletics Championships on 17:25 - Sep 30 with 1535 viewshamptonhillhoop

The 'Made for TV' World Athletics Championships on 16:52 - Sep 30 by PlanetHonneywood

Heat - I went down to watch the women’s marathon and lasted 30 minutes! It was too hot and too humid; thankfully the air quality had improved from the day prior. I’ve never seen runners sweating that profusely, much less that early in a race. The stadium is air conditioned, and the difference is palpable. However, I’ll stick my cock on the block now, and say Tokyo will be the same or worse.

Fans - first footy game I went to see here, I’d say 50 spectators top. But the equivalent of the European SuperCup for African nations took place and was not full, but was packed.

I don’t think Qatar/IAAF marketed it well. The population is about 2.3m and of that: 300,000 are Qatari who don’t really go to these things (and yet bizarrely, the place went doolally when Qatar won the Asia Cup). 90% of the migrant workers just can’t afford it and so realistically, you’re expecting to fill out a 40k seater stadium (with seat spoilers in place) from about a market of 200-250,000 expats. No surprises then given that it finishes late and work starts early here for many, that crowds are so low. Plus there’s a blockade going on and folks from the region can’t fly in and by folks, I mean expats. They should have given away seats to the African migrant workers; they’d fill it and they bring a huge footballesque atmosphere.

Qatar has hosted the gymnastics and handball world championships and the attendances were dire. Now this! They’ll bus fans in for the World Cup. But from my time here, the bigger issue will be how they cope with demanding partisan fans? You can’t just bring a load of migrant workers in and expect systems to work, they need practice and experience. The impending World Club Championship might give an indicator of how they’ll cope if crowds come here...a week before Xmas!

I just don’t think this issue of hosting a World Cup in the run up to Xmas has been factored in. It’s very expensive here and if they don’t reduce the costs, people might vote with their wallets.

Cheers mate, very informative.
Jon Ridgeon, from the IAAF, is currently on TV trying to justify it, and not doing a very good job
The 'Made for TV' World Athletics Championships on 18:23 - Sep 30 with 1489 viewsThe_Beast1976

The 'Made for TV' World Athletics Championships on 16:52 - Sep 30 by PlanetHonneywood

No disrespect at all intended to you, but I find Quatar to be a reprehensible country on many levels. In fact I'd say the same about large parts of the Middle East. Terrible that the World Cup is going there, but money talks unfortunately
[Post edited 30 Sep 2019 18:24]
The 'Made for TV' World Athletics Championships on 20:41 - Sep 30 with 1353 viewskensalriser

It's about time high profile sporting events stopped supporting repressive and corrupt regimes. It makes a mockery of worldwide efforts to further human rights. Perhaps the athletes themselves should be given a voice in where events are staged.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The 'Made for TV' World Athletics Championships on 22:30 - Sep 30 with 1260 viewsSharpy36

Go on Kensal, spit it out. Religion.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

The 'Made for TV' World Athletics Championships on 00:38 - Oct 1 with 1161 viewskensalriser

Repression and corruption are hardly the preserve of religious zealotry. China, for instance.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The 'Made for TV' World Athletics Championships on 01:25 - Oct 1 with 1140 viewsBoston

The 'Made for TV' World Athletics Championships on 22:30 - Sep 30 by Sharpy36

Go on Kensal, spit it out. Religion.

Well, I for one know what gutter means, no matter how you care to spell it.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024