Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Albums of the Decade 12:37 - Sep 30 with 6366 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Putting together a list of my Top 10 Long-Players (Pop Pickers!) of 2010-2019.

This one will rattle the No.1 position.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Albums of the Decade on 08:27 - Oct 2 with 1920 viewsqpr1976

Albums of the Decade on 20:32 - Oct 1 by derbyhoop

I've heard a few things by Idles. Just don't get it. Nor Sleaford Mods, who are often compared to them.

I prefer The Slaves I think.....
Albums of the Decade on 10:32 - Oct 2 with 1883 viewswestberksr

this has to be up there for me; seen him live a few times and have a massive soft spot for his classic soul sound; debut album was excellent too

will also put up Maverick Sabre's debut 'Lonely Are The Brave' - very talented but never seems to have got the break to get ahead of the crowd
Albums of the Decade on 12:31 - Oct 2 with 1851 viewshopphoops

This is from the naughties so doesn't really count, but late 2009 to be precise so not PROPAH naughties.

Ok, coat, I added this to shoehorn the gag in.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Albums of the Decade on 13:29 - Oct 2 with 1815 viewsSimonJames

This is one of my favourites:

100% of people who drink water will die.

Albums of the Decade on 07:51 - Oct 3 with 1741 viewsQPR_Nippon

Albums of the Decade on 13:49 - Sep 30 by Ned_Kennedys

Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly is a great album:.

As worthy an artistic statement as it is, I do find only about half of TPAB enjoyable listen to.

On the other hand, I would definitely have both Good Kid Maad City and Damn in my top ten albums of the decade.

Albums of the Decade on 21:23 - Oct 7 with 1639 viewsFDC

OP is a good shout Brian, one of my favourite albums of recent years too. I get why his voice annoys people too, but it works for me, even if I can hear why people find it a bit ridiculous in places. And it does sails quite close to being a bit Mumford and Sons in places, but again it never quite tips over for me. A great mix of melody and art-rock experimentalism - a bit like Young Father's 'White Men Are Black Men Too'.

In fact, that's probably one of my other favourite albums of the decade. Love this video.

[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 21:24]
Albums of the Decade on 23:25 - Oct 7 with 1596 viewsWoog

Toss up between...

and ...

Albums of the Decade on 23:35 - Oct 7 with 1589 viewsQPR_Nippon

Albums of the Decade on 21:23 - Oct 7 by FDC

OP is a good shout Brian, one of my favourite albums of recent years too. I get why his voice annoys people too, but it works for me, even if I can hear why people find it a bit ridiculous in places. And it does sails quite close to being a bit Mumford and Sons in places, but again it never quite tips over for me. A great mix of melody and art-rock experimentalism - a bit like Young Father's 'White Men Are Black Men Too'.

In fact, that's probably one of my other favourite albums of the decade. Love this video.

[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 21:24]

Yep, I also would have Awesome Wave in my top 10 of the decade. I think ‘distinctive’ is the word I’d use for his voice, but then I think thats part of their appeal.

Good shout earlier for both Blond and Channel Orange by Frank Ocean, they would definitely both make my top 10 too.

Like Joanna Newsome but my personal choice (in a similar vein) would be Julia Holter’s 2015 album ‘To Have You in My Wilderness’

Think I would want a John Grant album in there but hard to decide which one as there’s no obvious one for me. Probably Pale Green Ghosts but I’ll have changed my mind by tomorrow.

Login to get fewer ads

Albums of the Decade on 08:49 - Oct 8 with 1520 viewsMrSheen

Not too bothered about the Rachmaninov, but his Prokofiev is stunning. Incredible live, too.

Albums of the Decade on 09:32 - Oct 8 with 1505 viewsFDC

Albums of the Decade on 21:18 - Sep 30 by E17hoop

Olafur Arnaulds - Island Songs

Missed this, great shout. Only discovered this guy this year.
Albums of the Decade on 12:12 - Oct 9 with 1436 viewsrobith

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-200-best-albums-of-the-2010s

Pitchfork's top list. Weird that I much prefer 200-101 than the top 100.

Also they totally bottled giving number one to Kanye
Albums of the Decade on 12:17 - Oct 9 with 1429 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Albums of the Decade on 12:12 - Oct 9 by robith

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-200-best-albums-of-the-2010s

Pitchfork's top list. Weird that I much prefer 200-101 than the top 100.

Also they totally bottled giving number one to Kanye

Went through that list yesterday, Robith, and thought of you what you said up the thread - Pitchfork are so try-hard.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Albums of the Decade on 12:48 - Oct 9 with 1406 viewssimmo

Really good thread about a decade I probably pay attention to the least, but a few rap / hip-hop ones off the top of my head... I'll do another genre maybe if I have time.

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, M.A.A.D City

Probably the best hip-hop album of recent times and feels really seminal. His newer stuff is a bit too high brow for my taste but this one absolutely smacks it.

Run the Jewels - RTJ 2

From the moment I heard them I was hooked and they've since become probably my favourite hip-hop/rap group of all time. Although Good Kid is likely the best hip-hop album, this one is my favourite. All 3 official RTJ albums are superb but for me the 2nd one is my favourite. If you haven't checked them out, you really should.

Brockhampton - Saturation

Original, fun, prolific and diverse, Brockhampton are so eclectic it's hard to love everything they do but this album for me is their best. Some songs are superb and they were so prolific with their creation of albums, making and releasing about 4 in one year I think.

Kaytranada - 99.9%

Some are collabs and some are just his beats but I have listened to this start to finish on so many commutes and during work projects. I love it.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Albums of the Decade on 13:37 - Oct 9 with 1377 viewsR_from_afar

Great thread but tough for me because a lot of my faves are from a while back.

However, I have a couple to nominate.

The first is some Swedish psychedelia which I stumbled across by accident. The tunes are so catchy, but good luck understanding what they are singing about (it's in Swedish).

The second is an EP, if that is allowed, The Parallax Method's "Squid" EP. It's mostly instrumental guitar music but my word, there are a double album's worth of idea in every track (sample track below). It's great playing but there are plenty of tunes in there. It's moderately heavy but not too scarey.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Albums of the Decade on 14:21 - Oct 9 with 1346 viewsrobith

RTJ 2 is so so mint

There's a line "I'm so high you're a hobbit" which is so clever I often pause it to appreciate it afterwards
Albums of the Decade on 14:31 - Oct 9 with 1336 viewsEsox_Lucius

Trawling through a list of albums over the last ten for stuff I may have missed I found this little gem. I had never heard of them before but it is definitely a style of music I like and will be investigating their music more.

The grass is always greener.

Albums of the Decade on 15:50 - Oct 9 with 1309 viewsrobith

Albums of the Decade on 14:31 - Oct 9 by Esox_Lucius

Trawling through a list of albums over the last ten for stuff I may have missed I found this little gem. I had never heard of them before but it is definitely a style of music I like and will be investigating their music more.

Spoiler - there isn't any.

They released one corking album and split up. As it should be
Albums of the Decade on 18:41 - Oct 9 with 1267 viewslarsricchi

I'd put this top:

Also loved Cigarettes After Sex, Crystal Castles' second album, Vampire Weekend's third, and the one from Tribe Called Quest in 2016.
Albums of the Decade on 19:05 - Oct 9 with 1255 viewsdistortR

i don't get to hear too much new music anymore, alas, but 'failed states', by the mighty and righteous Propaghandi just builds and builds it's melody and fury-

And 'winter', by New Model Army, is soulful, melancholy, angry and wonderful

Albums of the Decade on 15:40 - Oct 10 with 1141 viewsKernowRanger

Albums of the Decade on 15:50 - Oct 9 by robith

Spoiler - there isn't any.

They released one corking album and split up. As it should be

The frontman went on to form a new band 'Lost Under Heaven' which seemed to go under the radar a little - similar sound to Wu Lyf but not as good.

Top 10 for me...
Kendrick Lamar - TPAB
Run The Jewels - RTJ2
Girls - Father Son and Holy Ghost
Diiv - Oshin
Kanye West - Yeezus
Smith Westerns - Dye it Blonde
Grimes - Visions
Fear of Men - Loom
Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze
Loyle Carner - Yesterday's Gone
[Post edited 10 Oct 2019 15:47]
Albums of the Decade on 00:23 - Oct 12 with 1062 viewsE17hoop

This would have to be there:

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Albums of the Decade on 14:21 - Oct 12 with 1013 viewslondonscottish

Albums of the Decade on 10:32 - Oct 2 by westberksr

this has to be up there for me; seen him live a few times and have a massive soft spot for his classic soul sound; debut album was excellent too

will also put up Maverick Sabre's debut 'Lonely Are The Brave' - very talented but never seems to have got the break to get ahead of the crowd

Love that album. It would deffo be in my top 10 for the decade.

As would Fanfare by Jonathan Wilson. Lush production, plenty of valve amps and analogue tech, great live.

[Post edited 12 Oct 2019 14:24]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024