Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pinner 23:31 - Oct 5 with 1906 viewsBoston

….may have asked this before, if so apologies. As a youngster I was under the impression that the Ref could not blow for half or full time unless the ball was in play, was I right?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Pinner on 07:28 - Oct 6 with 1786 viewsWokingR

I’m sure I’ve seen occasions where the whistle has been blown before a team had a chance to take a corner.
Pinner on 09:20 - Oct 6 with 1658 viewsPinnerPaul

Ref can blow for half time or full time whenever he/she likes!

Its 'best practice' to blow when the ball in a 'neutral area' but that's all it is, just advice, nothing in LOTG about where the ball is when ref decides half/match is over.
Pinner on 12:38 - Oct 6 with 1460 viewsTacticalR

Didn't the ref blow for half-time as we were about to take a throw-in?

You could see everyone was keen to get off for their half-time cup of tea.

Air hostess clique

Pinner on 12:58 - Oct 6 with 1438 viewsjohncharles

There was a famous (infamous ?) occasion when referee Thomas got fed up with a team messing around with a corner that blew time before they could take it. It was a big match but I can’t remember the details at the moment.

Strong and stable my arse.

Pinner on 13:05 - Oct 6 with 1433 viewsenfieldargh

Ref made Ilias go off on far side when substituted meaning iIlias had to walk around the touch line back to the bench wearing his shirt.

What happens If we had had an attack whilst Chair was still making his way back and the lino had flag for offside having sighted chair and we were in a goal scoring position worse still we score a perfectly good goal and indignant officials wont budge on their decision?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Pinner on 13:16 - Oct 6 with 1416 viewsstowmarketrange

Pinner on 12:58 - Oct 6 by johncharles

There was a famous (infamous ?) occasion when referee Thomas got fed up with a team messing around with a corner that blew time before they could take it. It was a big match but I can’t remember the details at the moment.

I think it was a World Cup match in 1974.I think they took a corner and he blew the whistle just as they scored.
Pinner on 13:20 - Oct 6 with 1407 viewsloftboy

Pinner on 13:16 - Oct 6 by stowmarketrange

I think it was a World Cup match in 1974.I think they took a corner and he blew the whistle just as they scored.

Yeo blew a millisecond before Brazil scored against Sweden, the fifa president at the time was Brazilian and it was a good few years before an English ref got a decent appointment.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Pinner on 13:22 - Oct 6 with 1406 viewsRs_Holy

Really testing my powers of memory this one. I’m pretty sure it was during the 1974 World Cup and he controversially blew the final whistle just as a corner was taken. The team scored from that corner and everyone celebrated until Thomas informed them that he had blown. Rumour has it that it cost him reffing the final (that honour was given to Jack Taylor).
Login to get fewer ads

Pinner on 13:29 - Oct 6 with 1396 viewsWatfordR

Pinner on 13:20 - Oct 6 by loftboy

Yeo blew a millisecond before Brazil scored against Sweden, the fifa president at the time was Brazilian and it was a good few years before an English ref got a decent appointment.

Not sure why as Clive Thomas is Welsh
Pinner on 13:39 - Oct 6 with 1382 viewsstowmarketrange

Pinner on 13:29 - Oct 6 by WatfordR

But he refereed in the English league.
Pinner on 13:50 - Oct 6 with 1370 viewsstevec

Pinner on 13:05 - Oct 6 by enfieldargh

Ref made Ilias go off on far side when substituted meaning iIlias had to walk around the touch line back to the bench wearing his shirt.

What happens If we had had an attack whilst Chair was still making his way back and the lino had flag for offside having sighted chair and we were in a goal scoring position worse still we score a perfectly good goal and indignant officials wont budge on their decision?

Believe you’re allowed to walk around the perimeter of the pitch in a Rangers shirt unless you’re a 7 foot black cat.
Pinner on 14:00 - Oct 6 with 1359 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Pinner on 14:24 - Oct 6 with 1323 viewsBoston

Pinner on 13:29 - Oct 6 by WatfordR

Maybe he thought Thomas was from 'Little England beyond Wales'?

Pinner on 14:27 - Oct 6 with 1318 viewsPinnerPaul

World Cup - Brazil 'scored' and he stupidly blew just AFTER the corner was taken but before the ball hit the net - madness!
Pinner on 14:29 - Oct 6 with 1309 viewsPinnerPaul

Pinner on 13:05 - Oct 6 by enfieldargh

Its at the discretion of the referee for that very reason, plus you wouldn't want an away player doing a 'lap of honour' like that.

Think it was the only blot on his copy book - because he only did that because Blackburn player was in his ear over previous sub, where he DID allow (Wells I think) to amble off across the pitch.
Pinner on 14:34 - Oct 6 with 1297 viewsSnipper

Pinner on 14:27 - Oct 6 by PinnerPaul

World Cup - Brazil 'scored' and he stupidly blew just AFTER the corner was taken but before the ball hit the net - madness!

Clive Thomas loved being controversial.

He was the original ‘look at me’ referee.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 14:36]
Pinner on 14:35 - Oct 6 with 1296 viewsBoston

This is why we need good old London club bouncers at games, to gently persuade red card miscreants et al to leave the field off play in a prompt and polite manner.

Pinner on 15:19 - Oct 6 with 1241 viewsfrancisbowles

Pinner on 14:27 - Oct 6 by PinnerPaul

1978 in Argentina. Technically he was right though, Lol! Brazil has spent a lot of time fannying around taking the corner, the clock had gone past 45 mins and you don't add time on for a corner. Don't think the locals were too upset!

Mind you why were two Qpr players over on the line as he went to take it, see 60 second?
Pinner on 15:57 - Oct 6 with 1199 viewsRs_Holy

Pinner on 15:19 - Oct 6 by francisbowles

1978 in Argentina. Technically he was right though, Lol! Brazil has spent a lot of time fannying around taking the corner, the clock had gone past 45 mins and you don't add time on for a corner. Don't think the locals were too upset!

Mind you why were two Qpr players over on the line as he went to take it, see 60 second?

Incredible how the memories fade over time. I really thought it was the 74 World Cup... I’m pretty sure the rumour was tho that the decision to blow the final whistle when he did cost him reffing the final... ?
Pinner on 15:57 - Oct 6 with 1199 viewsPinnerPaul

Except its stretching it to not add on ANY time in a whole half.

Hence why time is never up dead on the second - its just sensible to wait until ball is away from goal before blowing.
Pinner on 16:06 - Oct 6 with 1187 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’ve always wondered why we have time added on instead of just stoping the clock like basketball.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 16:37]
Pinner on 16:21 - Oct 6 with 1170 viewsEsox_Lucius

Not so much a pure ref question but if a team were to win a free kick around 30-35m out from the goal and instead of the usual small wall and a penalty area full of attackers and defenders, the defending side took their chances by ALL except the goal keeper being in line with the ball thereby putting all attackers offside who were nearer the goal. Would this constitute a law break anywhere?

The grass is always greener.

Pinner on 17:01 - Oct 6 with 1128 viewsPinnerPaul

Pinner on 16:21 - Oct 6 by Esox_Lucius

Not so much a pure ref question but if a team were to win a free kick around 30-35m out from the goal and instead of the usual small wall and a penalty area full of attackers and defenders, the defending side took their chances by ALL except the goal keeper being in line with the ball thereby putting all attackers offside who were nearer the goal. Would this constitute a law break anywhere?

No - but wouldn't attackers just run forward after the ball was played?
Pinner on 20:46 - Oct 6 with 1031 viewsloftus77

Pinner on 14:34 - Oct 6 by Snipper

Clive Thomas loved being controversial.

He was the original ‘look at me’ referee.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 14:36]

I have recollections of Clive the Book giving us a penalty and then taking it away again. League Cup match against Leeds at home (late 70s??) - lost 0-2.
Pinner on 22:02 - Oct 6 with 969 viewsEsox_Lucius

Pinner on 17:01 - Oct 6 by PinnerPaul

No - but wouldn't attackers just run forward after the ball was played?

The managerial tactic would be to only do it against teams where you know that your players have the raw pace to out run any opposition players in the case of a short forward ball. You match up your fastest with their fastest on a like for like basis and make sure they react the split second the ball is played knowing that if the oppo move just before the ball is kicked to gain an advantage, they are offside. It also implies the premise that your goalkeeper can stop any shot from a long distance.

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024