Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish 19:28 - Oct 9 with 4552 viewsbosh67

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/features/forever-rs-tommy-smith/

Really enjoyed his time with us. Intelligent team player. Scored some vital goals for us.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:25 - Oct 10 with 1128 viewstimcocking

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 11:16 - Oct 10 by loftboy

As I’ve said many times before, at the 82 cup final a fair few thousand singing “there’s only one kind of ni***r every time Bob Hazel got the better of crooks.
At Everton away circa 1990 at the time of inflatables one of our fans thought it was appropriate to have an inflatable gorilla wearing our away shirt with a number 4 on the back, then they wondered why Paul Parker got the hump when they waved it at him.

Christ almighty, half of the QPR fans weren't even born then...
Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:27 - Oct 10 with 1125 viewsloftboy

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:25 - Oct 10 by timcocking

Christ almighty, half of the QPR fans weren't even born then...

Didn’t realise there was a time limit on acceptable racism.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:31 - Oct 10 with 1114 viewstimcocking

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 09:44 - Oct 10 by W7Ranger

Who's "Flo" and what happened?

She was saying how non-whites are not welcome at Loftus Road. Absolute bollox, of course, but none of them had the guts to tell her.

Like something straight off the BBC or Daily Mail.
Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:36 - Oct 10 with 1109 viewstimcocking

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 11:16 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Another one in defence of Flo. I don't listen to every episode but I find her contributions interesting and intelligent.

I don't remember the racism comments exactly to be honest.

I do, i'm still absolutely fcuking furious about it.
Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:38 - Oct 10 with 1107 viewstimcocking

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 11:09 - Oct 10 by Antti_Heinola

I was really glad when Clive argued back on the pod about the Tommy Smith thing. It's so frustrating that fans are STILL complaining and STILL not understanding what Forever Rs is, despite it being explained numerous times. It's just a name for players that have played for us and a way to welcome them back for a chat. It's not saying 'you're a club legend' or 'you're one of the top 10 players we've ever had'. I honestly, honestly cannot see people's problem with almost anyone being invited on under the Forever Rs banner, short of the likes of Bosingwa. Fans are so bloody precious about this stuff - and hypocritical. We all love Sinton but I guarantee anyone who was at that Sheff Wed game when he first came back booed the crap out of him (I shamefully include myself). In retrospect, that was appalling behaviour.

What's so wrong about inviting Tommy Smith back? You know, it's just a nice thing to do. What's the problem? Infuriates me.

Have to disagree with some of the above about Flo - I think she's a really good addition to the pod and enjoy her contributions, although I disagree with some of them and think she's often too harsh on the team and some of the players. But who wants to listen solely to things you agree about?

No idea what the poster above is talking about, but anyone who thinks we've never had a race problem at LR is deluding themselves. Certainly it's never been like it is at certain other clubs, but we have been guilty of singing some pretty disgusting songs in the past (about Drogba, notably), and while it's improving, look around you - we're nowhere near as diverse-a crowd as, say, Arsenal. It is an issue - one Les has been working hard on and talked about very well on the pod in the past.

She wasn't talking about the past, she's saying we're all racist now and non-whites aren't welcome.

It's such a crock of sh!t it'd be hilarious if it wasn't so deeply insulting to Britain, which remains the world leader in race relations, same as we've always been. A massive injustice it was, totally without foundation.

Anybody thinks we have a race problem in Britain, i'd advise them to visit any other country on planet Earth. We're stone last/first on that list.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2019 14:44]
Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:43 - Oct 10 with 1096 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:38 - Oct 10 by timcocking

She wasn't talking about the past, she's saying we're all racist now and non-whites aren't welcome.

It's such a crock of sh!t it'd be hilarious if it wasn't so deeply insulting to Britain, which remains the world leader in race relations, same as we've always been. A massive injustice it was, totally without foundation.

Anybody thinks we have a race problem in Britain, i'd advise them to visit any other country on planet Earth. We're stone last/first on that list.

I listened to the podcast and she certainly didn't say that "we're all racist now".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:48 - Oct 10 with 1086 viewsloftboy

Nip over to the Millwall forum if you don’t think there’s racism in this country.

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:51 - Oct 10 with 1077 viewsSnipper

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:48 - Oct 10 by loftboy

Nip over to the Millwall forum if you don’t think there’s racism in this country.

I think timcocking is on about QPR fans.
Login to get fewer ads

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:53 - Oct 10 with 1074 viewsloftboy

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:51 - Oct 10 by Snipper

I think timcocking is on about QPR fans.

Read his last paragraph on his last post

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:55 - Oct 10 with 1071 viewsboysfromthebush

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:31 - Oct 10 by timcocking

She was saying how non-whites are not welcome at Loftus Road. Absolute bollox, of course, but none of them had the guts to tell her.

Like something straight off the BBC or Daily Mail.

Some of my mates who are non white actually gave her the option to debate her view as they had never experienced any sort of racist abuse at QPR, and colour has never been an issue.

She dismissed this straight away.
Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:56 - Oct 10 with 1062 viewstimcocking

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:48 - Oct 10 by loftboy

Not at Loftus Road there isn't.

There'll always be a few @@@@s around. They aren't really racists, they are just @@@@s who'd also no doubt hate you and i and gay people or anybody else they could think of to hate. That's just a tiny minority of nasty, bitter people. Every country will have people like that. If you think it's racism, you're mistaken.

In my 45 years, i've never known a racist person in Britain. Certainly not where i grew up in Cornwall.

Antti, the words 'had' and 'have' do not mean the same thing, that's just a misapprehension on your part of what you were reading.
Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:58 - Oct 10 with 1059 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 13:00 - Oct 10 by LongsufferingR

You realised it that day rather than the week before when got tonked 4-0 at home by Bolton???

I watched the game with a few friends who are all supporters of Utd ,Liverpool ,Arsenal ets and they drilled home to me before that QPR did not have the talent to survive at that level.We played so defensively that day almost negatively and to be honest were lucky to get the win but I loved the goal .
Of course the Forever Rs is going to be challenged now and again but its not a HOF just players who wore the blue and white hoops with pride and the fans embraced .
Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 15:02 - Oct 10 with 1049 viewsSnipper

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:53 - Oct 10 by loftboy

Read his last paragraph on his last post

I think he’s more upset about this Flo person. I haven’t listened to the pod, but if they did say this, then they are totally wrong.
I’ve never seen or heard racist remarks about non white QPR supporters at Loftus Road.
Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 15:04 - Oct 10 with 1039 viewsBrianMcCarthy

On a broader point, I think we can safely say that there is less racism at QPR than at most clubs. If that wasn't the case many of us would have fought to change that.

I think many of us can tell tales of hearing and experiencing racism from Rangers fans, though, and let;s be truthful about that. Thankfully, such stories are in the context of being the exception rather than the rule.

If Lloyd-Hughes, or anyone else, talks about racism at Rangers then we should be listening to see if we can learn, and improve further. if she, or anyone else, thinks we should be doing more to attract a wider cross-section of society then we should also be listening. For my part, I have no idea what we do at present, or if we do anything at all.

Closing our ears to either conversation is the way to stagnation and apathy.

I'm very proud of Rangers and of my fellow fans, and I regard them to be a second family that I have known since 1971. But, as with my birth family, I'm not going to pretend that all of us are perfect angels all of the time. We know better than that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 16:06 - Oct 10 with 966 viewsPinnerPaul

There's not been a podcast since Blackburn game has there?

Last one I can see is dated 4th Oct?

Don't listen very often but the last one I did listen to I disagreed with Flo who said squad was a bit thin!!!

Best squad we've had in years so that grated a bit. Does go on sometimes but you do get some original opinion, unlike the offy podcast which is a little bland to say the least!
Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 16:20 - Oct 10 with 951 viewsAntti_Heinola

I think you're being extremely naive if you think racism doesn't exist in this country, and I think you're on, er, uneven territory to claim Britain has 'always been' a 'world leader in race relations' - I mean, if you're talking about things that are insulting... Quite apart from atrocities in the past, did you miss the recent Windrush scandal? And it's not about whether we're the most or least racist country on earth - it's about how we can improve. How diverse are the people who go to KPFS regularly compared to the population of West London or London as a whole, for example? Now, that doesn't mean KPFS isn't a welcoming place, but of course even in very recent history football grounds were absolutely not welcoming places to all races and still aren't in some places. You can't just turn round to those communities and say, 'it's ok, we're not racist anymore!' that just isn't enough I'm afraid.

One of the reasons Les Ferdinand is so keen on community work in the area is precisely this issue. He grew up in the area and QPR did not have a great reputation in terms of how they treated young black players. Read Leroy Rosenior's book for some pretty sobering stuff on the kind of things a couple of our best players from the era would say to him / call him. you just cannot say it wasn't there. It was.

Now, do I believe that anyone non-white would feel in any way uncomfortable coming to KPFS today? I should hope not - but as I said, it's not so long since the Drogba chants, is it? Perception takes a very, very long time to change - black kids will have been brought up being told not to go to the football i the 70s, 80s, even 90s. It's not a light switch to make those beliefs disappear. Without doubt, looking around these days, it's better than it was, but the KPFS crowds are still overwhelmingly white - more than you would think/hope/expect bearing in mind the ratio in our catchment area. As I said, we're not even close to Arsenal levels of diversity in terms of crowds. Why not?

I can see why you're angry, but all-out denial is not the answer and the moment you say 'there's not a problem' you're deluding yourself.

Bare bones.

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 19:16 - Oct 10 with 847 viewsfrancisbowles

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 11:16 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Another one in defence of Flo. I don't listen to every episode but I find her contributions interesting and intelligent.

I don't remember the racism comments exactly to be honest.

Same as you Brian, listen to it when I think about it/get 'round to it. Like Flo's contribution, must have missed this particular episode.
Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 19:27 - Oct 10 with 839 viewsconnell10

Well lve never heard any racist things being said at Loftus Road and I maintain this Flo really gets on my nerves!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 20:58 - Oct 10 with 786 viewsNoDiddley

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 22:20 - Oct 9 by BrianMcCarthy

Fair points.

It's a free day out. Tommy Watford Smith couldn't give a monkeys about QPR, he got paid a decent wage to play for us. When are Lee Cook, Chris Day, Marcus Bignot etc gonna get a free dinner?
Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 21:02 - Oct 10 with 782 viewsloftboy

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 20:58 - Oct 10 by NoDiddley

It's a free day out. Tommy Watford Smith couldn't give a monkeys about QPR, he got paid a decent wage to play for us. When are Lee Cook, Chris Day, Marcus Bignot etc gonna get a free dinner?

Would that be Watford lee cook, Watford/spurs Chris day and Crewe Marcus Bignot, how many times has someone got to say it’s not a legends hall of fame , just players that have at sometime played for qpr .

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 21:15 - Oct 10 with 763 viewsMiss_Terraces

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 16:20 - Oct 10 by Antti_Heinola

I think you're being extremely naive if you think racism doesn't exist in this country, and I think you're on, er, uneven territory to claim Britain has 'always been' a 'world leader in race relations' - I mean, if you're talking about things that are insulting... Quite apart from atrocities in the past, did you miss the recent Windrush scandal? And it's not about whether we're the most or least racist country on earth - it's about how we can improve. How diverse are the people who go to KPFS regularly compared to the population of West London or London as a whole, for example? Now, that doesn't mean KPFS isn't a welcoming place, but of course even in very recent history football grounds were absolutely not welcoming places to all races and still aren't in some places. You can't just turn round to those communities and say, 'it's ok, we're not racist anymore!' that just isn't enough I'm afraid.

One of the reasons Les Ferdinand is so keen on community work in the area is precisely this issue. He grew up in the area and QPR did not have a great reputation in terms of how they treated young black players. Read Leroy Rosenior's book for some pretty sobering stuff on the kind of things a couple of our best players from the era would say to him / call him. you just cannot say it wasn't there. It was.

Now, do I believe that anyone non-white would feel in any way uncomfortable coming to KPFS today? I should hope not - but as I said, it's not so long since the Drogba chants, is it? Perception takes a very, very long time to change - black kids will have been brought up being told not to go to the football i the 70s, 80s, even 90s. It's not a light switch to make those beliefs disappear. Without doubt, looking around these days, it's better than it was, but the KPFS crowds are still overwhelmingly white - more than you would think/hope/expect bearing in mind the ratio in our catchment area. As I said, we're not even close to Arsenal levels of diversity in terms of crowds. Why not?

I can see why you're angry, but all-out denial is not the answer and the moment you say 'there's not a problem' you're deluding yourself.

I agree with everything you say but it's not fair to compare us to arsenal. We are a small family club, a very high proportion of our support, started coming through our parents. We are not an attractive club for the non-brainwashed. Arsenal support has a very high proportion who are tourists.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2019 21:45]

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 22:48 - Oct 10 with 700 viewsLongsufferingR

They already have!
Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 12:57 - Oct 11 with 562 viewsAntti_Heinola

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 21:02 - Oct 10 by loftboy

Would that be Watford lee cook, Watford/spurs Chris day and Crewe Marcus Bignot, how many times has someone got to say it’s not a legends hall of fame , just players that have at sometime played for qpr .

Also, I'm almost positive all three of these have come along for the HT chat.

Bare bones.

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 13:20 - Oct 11 with 541 viewsdaveB

Bignot, Cook and Day have all been inducted in recent years
Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 16:43 - Oct 11 with 492 viewsLunarJetman

Tommy Smith Forever R interview on offish on 14:56 - Oct 10 by timcocking

Not at Loftus Road there isn't.

There'll always be a few @@@@s around. They aren't really racists, they are just @@@@s who'd also no doubt hate you and i and gay people or anybody else they could think of to hate. That's just a tiny minority of nasty, bitter people. Every country will have people like that. If you think it's racism, you're mistaken.

In my 45 years, i've never known a racist person in Britain. Certainly not where i grew up in Cornwall.

Antti, the words 'had' and 'have' do not mean the same thing, that's just a misapprehension on your part of what you were reading.

With respect mate, growing up in Cornwall from 45 years ago, you were very unlikely to see anyone not white until fairly recently.

You're also lucky to have never met a racist person in Britain.

Also, just because someone hates everyone, it doesn't mean they're not a racist. Its the words they use and the meaning that define it, not that they say it to everyone...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024