Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Toys you had as a kid. 09:41 - Oct 10 with 22723 viewsMick_S

This was possibly my favourite as you could use any of your Matchbox cars by sticking an adapter to the underside.

Apparently this was Peter Kay's best ever Christmas present.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Toys you had as a kid. on 08:53 - Oct 11 with 1949 viewsMrSheen

Toys you had as a kid. on 22:23 - Oct 10 by itsbiga

We used to play this for hours.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Escape-From-Colditz-Board-Game/dp/B0094V4C32/ref=pd_sbs

We were board game fanatics as well. Loved the little wooden men in Colditz, I liked being Dutch. Our favourite at the time was...

Another classic.

Not forgetting...

So cool I've based my whole personal style since on the box.
Toys you had as a kid. on 09:02 - Oct 11 with 1937 viewsMick_S

Toys you had as a kid. on 23:47 - Oct 10 by DannyPaddox

Subbuteo is without doubt worthy of its own thread.

My many Subbuteo memories include my mate making a discovery that there would sometimes be one player in a team that, if you held it by the body and shook it, the base would make a rattling sound, this player would always be played up front and given the nickname The Rattler and whenever the rattler scored you would shout out ”Rattler!” or ”Rattler strikes again!” It was tacitly implied that this player was either European or South American. The first thing on buying a new team was always to shake each player to see if your box contained one of these exotic rattling rarities.

Also having shït-loads of Lego I would build my own stadiums around the pitch. These stadiums (stadia?) were works of art even if I do say so myself - way ahead of their time. The terraces and exits looked so cool as if designed by 20th Century Dutch Abstract Artist Piet Mondrian and I even had the team names patterned on the outside walls of the stands - often QPR but sometimes the Sunday morning team my Uncle played for.

One Saturday night after a hard evening’s construction and subbuteo-ing I left my proud work in the middle of the front room then turned the lights off to get the full impact of whatever Hammer Horror film was on. Dad comes in from the pub and accidentally stomps all over the bespoke Lego terracing cussing to high heaven and almost falling head-first into the television. For me this will always be known as the great mid-70s Subbuteo Stadium disaster. The subsequent enquiry, the What the fcuk is that shit doing in the middle of the floor!? Report led to a complete ban of all Subbuteo from the living room.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2019 23:57]

Regarding Subutteo - I can't remember which board it was on, the old Rivals or dot.dot.dotorg, but I have vague memories of a poster that had a massive connection to the game - son of the inventor(?) rings a bell. Can't remember who it was.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2019 9:15]

Toys you had as a kid. on 09:27 - Oct 11 with 1902 viewsstowmarketrange

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Escape-From-Colditz-Board-Game/dp/B0094V4C32/ref=pd_sbs

We used to play it too.We all had a game of it last Christmas but we got bored after playing for an hour and nobody escaping.We couldn’t remember all the rules so we must’ve been doing something wrong,unless we had more patience as kids.
Buccaneer was another favourite board game back then.
Toys you had as a kid. on 09:38 - Oct 11 with 1893 viewsdavman

Toys you had as a kid. on 09:02 - Oct 11 by Mick_S

Regarding Subutteo - I can't remember which board it was on, the old Rivals or dot.dot.dotorg, but I have vague memories of a poster that had a massive connection to the game - son of the inventor(?) rings a bell. Can't remember who it was.

The inventer was an R, so this is certainly plausible. Still got the Subbuteo and it finds its way to the dining table every few months. Son loves it, but hates losing and doesn't want to invest time in getting better. I wish I had competition!

**Competitive Dad alert**

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Toys you had as a kid. on 09:44 - Oct 11 with 1887 viewshopphoops

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Toys you had as a kid. on 09:50 - Oct 11 with 1875 viewshopphoops

Toys you had as a kid. on 08:53 - Oct 11 by MrSheen

We were board game fanatics as well. Loved the little wooden men in Colditz, I liked being Dutch. Our favourite at the time was...

Another classic.

Not forgetting...

That Mastermind couple were always brilliantly mysterious. So much left unsaid.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Toys you had as a kid. on 09:53 - Oct 11 with 1862 viewsMick_S

Toys you had as a kid. on 08:53 - Oct 11 by MrSheen

Another classic.

Not forgetting...

You don't seem the sort to wear white dresses.

Toys you had as a kid. on 10:04 - Oct 11 with 1845 viewsMrSheen

Toys you had as a kid. on 09:53 - Oct 11 by Mick_S

You don't seem the sort to wear white dresses.

Only one white peg for that, unfortunately.
Login to get fewer ads

Toys you had as a kid. on 10:44 - Oct 11 with 1810 viewsMick_S

Used to drive me nuts when the rings moved on the paper.

Toys you had as a kid. on 11:03 - Oct 11 with 1797 viewshubble

Toys you had as a kid. on 09:02 - Oct 11 by Mick_S

You're talking about Mark Adolph, Mick, son of Subbuteo creator Peter Adolph. He used to be on the old dotorg I think, and was then a prolific poster on WATRB, until he threw a hissy fit and announced that he was 'f*cking off to support Fulham....'
Toys you had as a kid. on 11:07 - Oct 11 with 1791 viewsKonk

We used to tidy the table away in the back room and play Subbuteo on the floor. Fu ck knows why we didn't just play it on the table. Until I was about six, my eldest brother and Dad were the outfield players and me and my younger brother were only allowed to operate the goalies. My Dad was pretty forgiving/supportive, but my older brother used to get the proper hump if you fu cked-up. And it was a tough job, being the goalie. Finally being allowed to take control of the outfield players is up there with my first ever lock-in, in terms of coming of age moments.

My Dad used to work in Enfield Town and would often come home on a Friday with a new Subbuteo team, which he'd bought from Jennings Toy Shop, and we'd then put the numbers on the back of the shirts with those tiny stickers they did. The more exotic the team, the better. We had a fair few International teams, but we used to love having European Cup ties - Dinamo Minsk v Feyenoord - happy days.

I can still hear the sound of a player being snapped off his base, having just been trodden on. Emergency super-gluing with my Mum in the hope my eldest brother would never notice.

My Dad also picked-up this record and we would put it on the old record player for a bit of big game atmosphere. I think the B-side went, "Singing ho-ho-ho, Subbuteo" to the tune of "She'll be coming round the mountain". All bangers, no clangers.

Anyone remember "Super Striker" where you tapped the players heads down to make them kick the ball? That was pretty good too.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Toys you had as a kid. on 11:19 - Oct 11 with 1775 viewsbob566

not a toy per se but spent a shed load of time playing those roll play books by Steve Livingstone and Ian Jackson.

The warlock of firetop mountain was the first one.
Toys you had as a kid. on 11:30 - Oct 11 with 1764 viewscolinallcars

We couldn't afford toys. My dad used to have some sand that he kept in a tobacco tin. Every August he would empty the sand on the floor and we would sit around it and pretend we were at the seaside. My brother would put some salt in his mouth, then spit at me so I could pretend it was spray from the sea.
Toys you had as a kid. on 11:36 - Oct 11 with 1759 viewsKonk

Toys you had as a kid. on 11:30 - Oct 11 by colinallcars

We couldn't afford toys. My dad used to have some sand that he kept in a tobacco tin. Every August he would empty the sand on the floor and we would sit around it and pretend we were at the seaside. My brother would put some salt in his mouth, then spit at me so I could pretend it was spray from the sea.

You lucky sod - we had to go to Yarmouth!

Toys you had as a kid. on 11:39 - Oct 11 with 1752 viewsLunarJetman

Good old Lego, hours of fun playing with this.

Toys you had as a kid. on 11:56 - Oct 11 with 1728 viewsDannyPaddox

Toys you had as a kid. on 11:30 - Oct 11 by colinallcars

There were no animals allowed in our block of flats which meant my only childhood pet was a toilet duck.
Toys you had as a kid. on 12:51 - Oct 11 with 1705 viewsMrSheen

Toys you had as a kid. on 11:07 - Oct 11 by Konk

We used to tidy the table away in the back room and play Subbuteo on the floor. Fu ck knows why we didn't just play it on the table. Until I was about six, my eldest brother and Dad were the outfield players and me and my younger brother were only allowed to operate the goalies. My Dad was pretty forgiving/supportive, but my older brother used to get the proper hump if you fu cked-up. And it was a tough job, being the goalie. Finally being allowed to take control of the outfield players is up there with my first ever lock-in, in terms of coming of age moments.

My Dad used to work in Enfield Town and would often come home on a Friday with a new Subbuteo team, which he'd bought from Jennings Toy Shop, and we'd then put the numbers on the back of the shirts with those tiny stickers they did. The more exotic the team, the better. We had a fair few International teams, but we used to love having European Cup ties - Dinamo Minsk v Feyenoord - happy days.

I can still hear the sound of a player being snapped off his base, having just been trodden on. Emergency super-gluing with my Mum in the hope my eldest brother would never notice.

My Dad also picked-up this record and we would put it on the old record player for a bit of big game atmosphere. I think the B-side went, "Singing ho-ho-ho, Subbuteo" to the tune of "She'll be coming round the mountain". All bangers, no clangers.

Anyone remember "Super Striker" where you tapped the players heads down to make them kick the ball? That was pretty good too.

We played Subbuteo on the floor, because the felt pitch clung to the carpet and stayed smooth, while it would slide around on our table-top, which wasn't wide enough anyway. It did lead to lots of casualties, particularly among deep-lying full-backs and corner flags. It's a good thing the players weren't urine-tested for Airfix glue.
Toys you had as a kid. on 13:03 - Oct 11 with 1688 viewsMick_S

Toys you had as a kid. on 13:28 - Oct 11 with 1668 viewsMrSheen

Essential mid-70s accessories. Ah, the good old days!

Toys you had as a kid. on 13:42 - Oct 11 with 1649 viewsMick_S

You sure?

[Post edited 11 Oct 2019 13:44]

Toys you had as a kid. on 14:04 - Oct 11 with 1634 viewsHayesender

There used to be a little shop off of King Street where me and my mate would buy loads of lead figures.

I'm surprised any of us lived past our 20's

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Toys you had as a kid. on 14:07 - Oct 11 with 1629 viewsloftboy

Had box loads of air fix soldiers, used to get several boxes of the same infantry to bolster the ranks, would line them up at each end of the front room, British and yank at one end, Gerry’s and japs at the other, would then roll marbles at them, last one standing won the war, the snipers would have to be overturned to have died.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Toys you had as a kid. on 14:08 - Oct 11 with 1629 viewsKonk

Toys you had as a kid. on 13:03 - Oct 11 by Mick_S

We had that set! My Dad used to do commentary as we were playing too. Loved that. Learnt a lot about geography and football history playing subbuteo with my Dad.

Toys you had as a kid. on 14:13 - Oct 11 with 1625 viewsR_from_afar

So much great stuff on here and that Colditz game was great. I asked for it for Christmas having seen a different Colditz game at a friend's house. I got the one you mention and it was a huge hit with our family. After the first game took a gruelling four hours, we introduced a time limit, usually 90 minutes. My dad was a prison officer (on the works, not discipline side) and he really took the role of prison commandant

This game was brilliant, I thought about trying to get a second hand one because our one is clapped out now:

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Toys you had as a kid. on 14:59 - Oct 11 with 1597 viewsmarkrtid

I got an empty Action Man box.
He was a deserter.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024