Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today 13:13 - Oct 14 with 6818 viewsDevonWhite

Really good piece by Jack Pitt-Brooke. Clive, are we allowed to post the full thing here for those that don't have a subscription?

A few accompanying tweets from JPB with some interesting points:

Jack Pitt-Brooke
@JackPittBrooke
I spent some some time with QPR boss Mark Warburton. He told me:
-Why possession is an "irrelevant stat"
-Why he has banned players from shooting from distance or taking the ball into the corner
-How human beings learn as a species

@JackPittBrooke
I thought over the summer that QPR might go down this season. But they've kept Eze and other key players, overhauled the squad, and Warburton is starting to instill his football. Early days but it looks very different from what I expected...

@JackPittBrooke
It shows that whatever the level - and QPR have one of the smallest wage bills in the Championship - if you want to over-achieve you need an identity. Which is something they haven't really had since... the Neil Warnock promotion season?

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 14:06 - Oct 14 with 5203 viewsloftboy

Don’t agree with the being banned from shooting from distance, surely if there’s nothing on them a 25 yarder is the next best option.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 14:09 - Oct 14 with 5199 viewsaston_hoop

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 14:06 - Oct 14 by loftboy

Don’t agree with the being banned from shooting from distance, surely if there’s nothing on them a 25 yarder is the next best option.

Its not been stopping Eze this season! Is this Athletic worth the subscription then?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 14:18 - Oct 14 with 5172 viewsAntti_Heinola

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 14:06 - Oct 14 by loftboy

There was a brilliant graph the other day about this. It showed that 15 years ago Championship teams were taking twice as many shots from outside the box than they are doing now.

But the corresponding stat was fascinating: Championship teams are scoring considerably more goals from outside the box than they were when they were taking double the number of long shots as they do now. Not in terms of ratio - just more. More with far less.

That is what Warburton is teaching in all likelihood. Fans around me scream 'shoot' all the time, and when a player turns back and passes instead there are groans. But this is pig ignorance imo. Why shoot if you don't *think* you can score? Why take a shot you are 95% sure will be blocked? Why shoot if you can't see a space for the shot to go, or a part of the goal to aim for? It's a total waste of time and of possession. That's why you see our players trying to keep possession rather than just take random pot shots.

Against Blackburn, this exact thing happened. In the build up, the usual suspects around me were screaming for a shot. But we remained patient until finally the opening - and the goal - was created.

You're right about 'if there's nothing on' but I suspect Warburton is working with the players to ensure that at no stage, 25 yards from goal, is there 'nothing on.' There should always be plenty on.

Bare bones.

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 14:43 - Oct 14 with 5126 viewsPinnerPaul

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 14:18 - Oct 14 by Antti_Heinola

There was a brilliant graph the other day about this. It showed that 15 years ago Championship teams were taking twice as many shots from outside the box than they are doing now.

But the corresponding stat was fascinating: Championship teams are scoring considerably more goals from outside the box than they were when they were taking double the number of long shots as they do now. Not in terms of ratio - just more. More with far less.

That is what Warburton is teaching in all likelihood. Fans around me scream 'shoot' all the time, and when a player turns back and passes instead there are groans. But this is pig ignorance imo. Why shoot if you don't *think* you can score? Why take a shot you are 95% sure will be blocked? Why shoot if you can't see a space for the shot to go, or a part of the goal to aim for? It's a total waste of time and of possession. That's why you see our players trying to keep possession rather than just take random pot shots.

Against Blackburn, this exact thing happened. In the build up, the usual suspects around me were screaming for a shot. But we remained patient until finally the opening - and the goal - was created.

You're right about 'if there's nothing on' but I suspect Warburton is working with the players to ensure that at no stage, 25 yards from goal, is there 'nothing on.' There should always be plenty on.

It matches the current coaching school of thought.

I see that ethos in practice even at my humble level.
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 14:44 - Oct 14 with 5123 viewsLongsufferingR

Don't believe that 25 yard quote tbh. If it was true, then why are they doing the corner routine that goes to a player standing on his own 25 yards out to take a shot? Also, Chair is always looking to take a shot from outside the box, it's just that Championship defenders are closing him down quicker than League 2 defenders did.
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 15:12 - Oct 14 with 5063 viewsrobith

I'd say don't post the full piece - it's people's livelihood
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 16:08 - Oct 14 with 5002 viewsdaveB

no harm in trying to shoot from outside the box, all sounds nice when we are winning but shouldn't be passing for the sake of it either
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 16:42 - Oct 14 with 4912 viewsAntti_Heinola

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 16:08 - Oct 14 by daveB

no harm in trying to shoot from outside the box, all sounds nice when we are winning but shouldn't be passing for the sake of it either

it's not about passing for the sake of it dave. It's about trying to maximise your chances of scoring a goal. For example, we had 10 shots v Blackburn, 5 on target, 4 were goals. That's what we're talking about.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 17:16 - Oct 14 with 4827 viewsswisscottage

25 yards is 7 yards outside the 18 yard box.

That is what is regarded as about the optimum range for a free kick, anything beyond this needs to be exceptional to be on target and beat the keeper.

It doesn't mean they can't shoot from outside the box, only that they should do so with an appropriate opening with a decent probability of being able to beat the keeper.
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 17:29 - Oct 14 with 4810 viewsJeff

just to clarify in the article, he's against speculative 35 yarders, not 25 yarders.

He mentions that you remember the one 35 yarder that goes in, but not the 99 that don't.

Can we not knock it?

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 17:38 - Oct 14 with 4784 viewsLblock

I’d like to read this but have no idea what the ketchup is you refer to.

Hopefully the glorious leader on here will sanction a repost but, I’d tend to agree with the above, respect people’s livelihoods

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 18:02 - Oct 14 with 4743 viewsNorthernr

Yeh can't post it in full guys sorry, you can read it with a free trial and then cancel afterwards though.
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 20:38 - Oct 14 with 4609 viewsDevonWhite

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 18:02 - Oct 14 by Northernr

Yeh can't post it in full guys sorry, you can read it with a free trial and then cancel afterwards though.

Yeah that's fair enough.
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 23:34 - Oct 14 with 4408 viewsbob566

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 18:02 - Oct 14 by Northernr

Can you explain this Clive. I understand that the paper/media source lose potential hits etc but surely the writer down the line can say see how well received the article was on other social media raising their profile.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2019 0:02]
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 00:06 - Oct 15 with 4356 viewsdaveB

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 16:42 - Oct 14 by Antti_Heinola

it's not about passing for the sake of it dave. It's about trying to maximise your chances of scoring a goal. For example, we had 10 shots v Blackburn, 5 on target, 4 were goals. That's what we're talking about.

I get that but I just think a balance is needed and it doesn't hurt to hit a few long range shots, a few times this season we've got into shooting positions and gone for one more pass instead and the move breaks down.

should say though i don't have the athletic so not read the full article
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 00:26 - Oct 15 with 4338 viewstimcocking

I'd need it explained, because that'd be the dumbest thing a manager could say.
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 00:32 - Oct 15 with 4335 viewsDavieQPR

It's called copyright.
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 01:02 - Oct 15 with 4326 viewsbob566

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 00:32 - Oct 15 by DavieQPR

It's called copyright.

I get that. But surely the author is chuffed secretly if their article is tweeted left right and centre
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 06:37 - Oct 15 with 4238 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 00:06 - Oct 15 by daveB

I get that but I just think a balance is needed and it doesn't hurt to hit a few long range shots, a few times this season we've got into shooting positions and gone for one more pass instead and the move breaks down.

should say though i don't have the athletic so not read the full article

The full goes into far more detail alright, Dave, and he makes it clear that long-range shots are allowed but from 35 yards out the chances of scoring are very slim. Shooting training includes grids on the pitch to highlight where the ideal shooting range is and that doesn't include 35-yarders.

It's all very logically explained by him, in fairness.

I'd recommend getting the free trial, by the way, can always be cancelled before it turns into monthly cash payments.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 07:08 - Oct 15 with 4224 viewsFrankRightguard

It took a minute to sign up, a few minutes to read it then 30 seconds to cancel the subscription. That could have been done in the time taken complaining that it hasn’t been copied and pasted in full.
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 09:08 - Oct 15 with 4065 viewsqueensparker

Really enjoying The Atlantic, I've signed up for the year at the 50% off deal. Loads of great stuff on there.

Important we support this stuff if you can afford it IMO, there's so little money in media now that we risk being left with Murdoch's sh*te, clickbait and nothing else. Thank God for LFW
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 10:12 - Oct 15 with 3988 viewsRBlock

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 09:08 - Oct 15 by queensparker

Really enjoying The Atlantic, I've signed up for the year at the 50% off deal. Loads of great stuff on there.

Important we support this stuff if you can afford it IMO, there's so little money in media now that we risk being left with Murdoch's sh*te, clickbait and nothing else. Thank God for LFW

Want to echo this, (although it's The Athletic. The Atlantic is a seperate publication). Really enjoyed the range and depth of the content, with Michael Cox's tactical heavy articles being a particular favourite of mine. Well worth the subscription, and costs pennies.
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 10:17 - Oct 15 with 3980 viewsrobith

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 23:34 - Oct 14 by bob566

Can you explain this Clive. I understand that the paper/media source lose potential hits etc but surely the writer down the line can say see how well received the article was on other social media raising their profile.

Profile doesn't pay the gas bill
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 11:00 - Oct 15 with 3914 viewsNorthernr

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 23:34 - Oct 14 by bob566

When you can pay for your weekly shop with profile let me know.

The athletic's model is proper, in depth, long form journalism for a small monthly fee. They're willing to invest in good journalists and proper content, with no adverts, but in return you pay them a couple of quid. That model breaks if people start copying and pasting the articles everywhere.

The journo may well be happy his pieces has gone down well, and the occasional freebie to draw in other subscribers might work, but if his articles were persistently available for free everywhere why would the athletic pay him?
Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 11:29 - Oct 15 with 3867 viewsTonto

Good and detailed interview with MW in the Athletic today on 06:37 - Oct 15 by BrianMcCarthy

The full goes into far more detail alright, Dave, and he makes it clear that long-range shots are allowed but from 35 yards out the chances of scoring are very slim. Shooting training includes grids on the pitch to highlight where the ideal shooting range is and that doesn't include 35-yarders.

It's all very logically explained by him, in fairness.

I'd recommend getting the free trial, by the way, can always be cancelled before it turns into monthly cash payments.

yes but Tim sad its the dumbest thing a manage could ay. I don't know who to believe now... someone who hadn't read the article, who just comments based on a headline or paraphrase.

aaaarrggghhh

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024