Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting lively in Canning Town 08:11 - Oct 17 with 13440 viewsstevec

Excellent Rebellion
Getting lively in Canning Town on 12:47 - Oct 17 with 2230 viewsMatch82

I usually come down on the left side of things politically but I have to say (and possibly because this isn't making the news much in the US) I don't really understand the point of this or the underlying motivation.

If this was a protest to try and people to have more respect for climate change or be more environmentally friendly then by targeting the tube they've failed on both counts. Its not doing anything to raise awareness globally (the Greta thing, whether you agree or not, got significantly more play) and it just smells a little bit like something you can tell your friends in a decade and say I was part of that, weren't we clever, jolly good fun.
Getting lively in Canning Town on 12:49 - Oct 17 with 2225 viewsMetallica_Hoop

From some anaysis I read not all XR were behind this one but XR are an umbrella term for a lot of smaller groups some quite radical in outlook.

I dont know if that's true.

I did enjoy the video however, so did everyone in my office.

Which say's a lot about what a cross section of society think about this little soiree.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Getting lively in Canning Town on 12:59 - Oct 17 with 2179 viewsR_from_afar

Getting lively in Canning Town on 12:15 - Oct 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

At the risk of breaking the nice Daily Mail comments section vibe going on here, £900m of TfL subsidy cuts have and will disrupted the average London commute a lot worse than a handful of climate change protesters will.

That said, it’s a bit silly to get in the way of several hundred Polish brickies. Wrong target and wrong place.

I am an active environmental campaigner and have been on a climate related march myself but this sort of thing is going too far.

A "normal" demonstration, so, lots of people walking down the street and chanting their message and waving their slogans, is a better way in that, while not as dramatic and newsworthy, it does not alienate huge numbers of less radical pro-environment people.

That said, I don't think most people understand - or want to hear - the consequences of not taking more serious action on climate change. Once tipping points are passed, all the money in the world will not fix the problems.

A lot of the *implications* of the issues have been poorly communicated. When we hear about the Amazon being cut down, the impact on rainfall and therefore, water supplies for human domestic use and agriculture should be mentioned. When we hear about reefs dying, the connection with fish stocks should be made (20% of the fish in the sea live around reefs). When there is talk of the Arctic being exploited for fossil fuel and mineral extraction, the point should be made that vast numbers of fish live in those regions. Rising sea levels = destruction of homes (and business premises) = mass migration and an eye watering refugee crisis. Melting glaciers in the Himalayas mean 1.6bn people are faced with water shortages.

There are also huge benefits from decarbonising our economy. Imagine not having to rely on fuel shipped from distant lands. Imagine being able to sell your excess renewable energy to other countries. Imagine cheaper bills (the cost of energy from fossil fuels and nuclear power can only go up, the cost of renewable energy tends to come down). Imagine better air quality and 40,000 premature deaths in the UK being avoided.

ER's methods are over the top but they are highlighting an issue which is already affecting us and has the gravest consequences for mankind.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Getting lively in Canning Town on 12:59 - Oct 17 with 2177 viewsLythamR

Getting lively in Canning Town on 12:47 - Oct 17 by Match82

I usually come down on the left side of things politically but I have to say (and possibly because this isn't making the news much in the US) I don't really understand the point of this or the underlying motivation.

If this was a protest to try and people to have more respect for climate change or be more environmentally friendly then by targeting the tube they've failed on both counts. Its not doing anything to raise awareness globally (the Greta thing, whether you agree or not, got significantly more play) and it just smells a little bit like something you can tell your friends in a decade and say I was part of that, weren't we clever, jolly good fun.

Well its being talked about by someone apparently in the USA on a QPR forum, i am also seeing it discussed and debated by little old ladies on the Lytham St Annes facebook groups and my facebook and twitter feeds are full of it.

Awareness works on multiple levels, there are also protest going on in many other locations that are not being covered globally or nationally but are impacting on awareness at more local levels.

I also think that this Tube protest was particularly ill judged but the whole thing about protest generally is that if it isnt disruptive it simply doesnt work
Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:02 - Oct 17 with 2166 viewsloftboy

Getting lively in Canning Town on 12:30 - Oct 17 by 1MoreBrightonR

Unlike most people on here, i actually agree with their cause and think they should be disrupting people...thats half the point of a protest...BUT this was a really stupid target.

Targeting a tube train, which is a very environmentally friendly method of transport, because it carries people to the financial district which they claim is central to climate change is a bit of a stretch, especially given the train goes through half of east London and picks up loads of non city workers...ie the Polish builders mentioned in a previous post. Its a stupid PR move and a badly thought out. You get the feeling that someone from outside london saud "yeah, lots get those bankers on their way to work" but with no idea of how Londoners feel about the tube and what the tube line really is about.

One question...how the hell did they get a ladder down there :)

It’s actually “up there” the platforms are on the first floor of the station, goes underground as it goes under the Thames towards North Greenwich.
I’ve given up using Canning Town as you can never get a seat by the time the train has got there from Stratford, instead I get a bus to Stratford and get on at the beginning, always get a seat and only takes ten minutes longer.
Often head “home “ to Bracknell to visit my elderly and infirm parents, had I been on that train today then it would have been me you saw on those videos getting the fûckers down.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2019 13:02]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:26 - Oct 17 with 2073 viewssmegma

Had the bloke fallen off the roof away from the platform side he would probably be dead, so someone saved his life by pulling him off the roof. Then the driver would carry the guilt. At work today, all station staff had to be vigilant and look out for people carrying collapsible ladders. This is why.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2019 13:31]
Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:32 - Oct 17 with 2044 viewsNed_Kennedys

The moron started kicking people in the head who were trying to get him down so absolutely no sympathy from me.
Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:39 - Oct 17 with 2015 viewsNed_Kennedys

At the risk of breaking the nice Daily Mail comments section vibe going on here, £900m of TfL subsidy cuts have and will disrupted the average London commute a lot worse than a handful of climate change protesters will.

That said, it’s a bit silly to get in the way of several hundred Polish brickies. Wrong target and wrong place.

What does Jeremy Corbin have to say about it all? I'm sure you're itching to tell us.
Login to get fewer ads

Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:52 - Oct 17 with 1982 viewsdaveB

What they are doing is akin to Terrorism without the killing by trying to disrupt everyone lives and continue to do so until everyone does what they say, it won't work. They do have some good points about climate change but the way they are doing it is ridiculous.

They are getting airtime but they are doing more harm than good to their cause
Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:55 - Oct 17 with 1971 viewsFDC

Getting lively in Canning Town on 12:59 - Oct 17 by R_from_afar

I am an active environmental campaigner and have been on a climate related march myself but this sort of thing is going too far.

A "normal" demonstration, so, lots of people walking down the street and chanting their message and waving their slogans, is a better way in that, while not as dramatic and newsworthy, it does not alienate huge numbers of less radical pro-environment people.

That said, I don't think most people understand - or want to hear - the consequences of not taking more serious action on climate change. Once tipping points are passed, all the money in the world will not fix the problems.

A lot of the *implications* of the issues have been poorly communicated. When we hear about the Amazon being cut down, the impact on rainfall and therefore, water supplies for human domestic use and agriculture should be mentioned. When we hear about reefs dying, the connection with fish stocks should be made (20% of the fish in the sea live around reefs). When there is talk of the Arctic being exploited for fossil fuel and mineral extraction, the point should be made that vast numbers of fish live in those regions. Rising sea levels = destruction of homes (and business premises) = mass migration and an eye watering refugee crisis. Melting glaciers in the Himalayas mean 1.6bn people are faced with water shortages.

There are also huge benefits from decarbonising our economy. Imagine not having to rely on fuel shipped from distant lands. Imagine being able to sell your excess renewable energy to other countries. Imagine cheaper bills (the cost of energy from fossil fuels and nuclear power can only go up, the cost of renewable energy tends to come down). Imagine better air quality and 40,000 premature deaths in the UK being avoided.

ER's methods are over the top but they are highlighting an issue which is already affecting us and has the gravest consequences for mankind.

"A "normal" demonstration, so, lots of people walking down the street and chanting their message and waving their slogans"

Well, to be fair, if these A to B marches against climate change ever achieved anything we wouldn't be on the brink of climate catastrophe now, would we?

Re this action, yeah it's dumb as fvck. I understand when it was mooted the majority in the network opposed it, and the reality of course is that any one can do anything and claim it's being done be XR. That said, the group is very middle class, very white suburban, and has very ill-formed politics, a real naivete, and a real lack of awareness of the lessons of previous climate movements. Their naivete and overt insistence that they are a-political has probably worked for them up until now, because they are constituted of demographics that don't typically get involved in left-wing activism. It isn't the usual suspects turning up to their actions. Great. But, a climate movement without the support of the working-class will get no where ultimately, and pissing off a load of workers on their way to work on environmentally friendly transport is thick.
Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:56 - Oct 17 with 1963 viewsFDC

Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:52 - Oct 17 by daveB

What they are doing is akin to Terrorism without the killing by trying to disrupt everyone lives and continue to do so until everyone does what they say, it won't work. They do have some good points about climate change but the way they are doing it is ridiculous.

They are getting airtime but they are doing more harm than good to their cause

To be fair, a bunch of posh kids doing interpretive dance routines in Trafalgar Square isn't that terrifying.
Getting lively in Canning Town on 14:01 - Oct 17 with 1938 viewsconnell10

Getting lively in Canning Town on 10:32 - Oct 17 by Konk

I generally have a lot of respect for climate activists, who get off their ars es to try and bring about change, rather than just moan. However, I do think this was a pretty poorly conceived idea. People trying to get to work via public transport, early in the morning, don't strike me as the right people to be inconveniencing. Counter-productive and completely alienates a large part of the population. And it might have gone down better in East Finchley or somewhere rather than Canning Town. No issue with getting the fella off the roof, but bang out of order to then start laying into him.

I agree with peaceful protest , but before the protester is dragged off the roof he sticks the boot into the guy dragging him off, so therefore deserves a kicking!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Getting lively in Canning Town on 14:03 - Oct 17 with 1932 viewsstevec

Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:56 - Oct 17 by FDC

To be fair, a bunch of posh kids doing interpretive dance routines in Trafalgar Square isn't that terrifying.

Sure there's a selection of the nations gullible on the streets, but aside of them it's being carried out by paid left wing activists, hell bent on bringing 'capitalism' to it's knees, they don't give a fck about the environment, though I suspect you already know that.
Getting lively in Canning Town on 14:09 - Oct 17 with 1893 viewsMatch82

Getting lively in Canning Town on 12:59 - Oct 17 by LythamR

Well its being talked about by someone apparently in the USA on a QPR forum, i am also seeing it discussed and debated by little old ladies on the Lytham St Annes facebook groups and my facebook and twitter feeds are full of it.

Awareness works on multiple levels, there are also protest going on in many other locations that are not being covered globally or nationally but are impacting on awareness at more local levels.

I also think that this Tube protest was particularly ill judged but the whole thing about protest generally is that if it isnt disruptive it simply doesnt work

The fact that I'm asking for details on a qpr forum rather than seeing them on the news is quite telling in itself though no?
Getting lively in Canning Town on 14:12 - Oct 17 with 1880 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Have you ever considered what you consider "Daily Mail comments" might actually be the general consensus perhaps?
Getting lively in Canning Town on 14:18 - Oct 17 with 1862 viewsLythamR

Getting lively in Canning Town on 14:09 - Oct 17 by Match82

The fact that I'm asking for details on a qpr forum rather than seeing them on the news is quite telling in itself though no?

No really, its made all the news in this country, the fact that it hasnt in the US probably isnt concerning their XR PR department too much. Not everything has to have global reach
Getting lively in Canning Town on 14:31 - Oct 17 with 1810 viewsdaveB

Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:56 - Oct 17 by FDC

it's not even slightly terrifying but it is disrupting peoples lives and thats the point of it, in principal is no different to what terrorists try to do but they are dancing and blocking roads rather than blowing people up to push their way of life onto us
Getting lively in Canning Town on 15:02 - Oct 17 with 1739 viewsBoston

Getting lively in Canning Town on 12:30 - Oct 17 by 1MoreBrightonR

Unlike most people on here, i actually agree with their cause and think they should be disrupting people...thats half the point of a protest...BUT this was a really stupid target.

Targeting a tube train, which is a very environmentally friendly method of transport, because it carries people to the financial district which they claim is central to climate change is a bit of a stretch, especially given the train goes through half of east London and picks up loads of non city workers...ie the Polish builders mentioned in a previous post. Its a stupid PR move and a badly thought out. You get the feeling that someone from outside london saud "yeah, lots get those bankers on their way to work" but with no idea of how Londoners feel about the tube and what the tube line really is about.

One question...how the hell did they get a ladder down there :)

Huh, you don’t need a ladder to get up on a train.
My eyes saw a man atop an ‘ivory train’, despotically disrupting the plebeians who refuse to follow his orders. The dam has been broken, he won’t be the last to suffer.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Getting lively in Canning Town on 15:09 - Oct 17 with 1727 viewsFDC

Getting lively in Canning Town on 14:03 - Oct 17 by stevec

Sure there's a selection of the nations gullible on the streets, but aside of them it's being carried out by paid left wing activists, hell bent on bringing 'capitalism' to it's knees, they don't give a fck about the environment, though I suspect you already know that.

Nope, no part of that is true. I don't know what alt-right conspiracy blogs you've been reading, but Roger Hallam quite explicitly detests the left. Take five minutes speaking to an XR person, or better go along to an organizing meeting. They don't identify as being left wing. They probably think the left is part of the problem. They're Guardian reading liberals who are terrified about climate change, they're not Bolsheviks.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2019 15:16]
Getting lively in Canning Town on 15:11 - Oct 17 with 1716 viewsFDC

Getting lively in Canning Town on 14:31 - Oct 17 by daveB

it's not even slightly terrifying but it is disrupting peoples lives and thats the point of it, in principal is no different to what terrorists try to do but they are dancing and blocking roads rather than blowing people up to push their way of life onto us

"dancing is the same as blowing people up" is one hell of a take.
Getting lively in Canning Town on 15:24 - Oct 17 with 1674 viewsDannyPaddox

Getting lively in Canning Town on 14:03 - Oct 17 by stevec

Getting lively in Canning Town on 15:41 - Oct 17 with 1632 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:39 - Oct 17 by Ned_Kennedys

What does Jeremy Corbin have to say about it all? I'm sure you're itching to tell us.

He says spell my fcking name right for starters.
Getting lively in Canning Town on 16:09 - Oct 17 with 1559 viewsCamberleyR

Just to be clear, you cannot protest about climate change if:

You have been on an aeroplane
You have been on a bus
You have been on a train
You have been in a taxi
You drive a car
You use any form of electric transport
You don't walk everywhere
You own a mobile phone
You have a well paid job or any job that lets you have holiday (that you then use to protest)
You have no job
You have been to McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Wimpy, Pret, EAT, Starbucks, Costa, etc...
You have eaten quinoa
You have eaten avocado
You've ever bought food wrapped in anything other than air
You don't live in a cave
Or, and most importantly:
You are not willing to travel to China, India, Brazil, Russia or any African country and protest there.

Other than that, protest on...

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Getting lively in Canning Town on 16:24 - Oct 17 with 1517 viewsjoe90

As irritating as these protesters are and as much as part of me want to give them a good kicking, seeing them get lynched like that doesn't sit well with me. Respect to the few people trying to defend them.
Getting lively in Canning Town on 16:28 - Oct 17 with 1509 viewsloftboy

Getting lively in Canning Town on 16:24 - Oct 17 by joe90

As irritating as these protesters are and as much as part of me want to give them a good kicking, seeing them get lynched like that doesn't sit well with me. Respect to the few people trying to defend them.

Was hardly a linching, but yes I do agree that once off the roof they shouldn’t have put the boot in.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024