Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting lively in Canning Town 08:11 - Oct 17 with 13536 viewsstevec

Excellent Rebellion
Getting lively in Canning Town on 03:02 - Oct 18 with 1895 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Getting lively in Canning Town on 00:00 - Oct 18 by CaptainPugwash

Belay there!
Can any o' you Landlubbers shows me IRREFOOTABLE proof of anyone dyin' of "Man Made Climate Change"?
Names an' adressis if youse please.
Or is it allers fifty years down the line?

Yo Ho!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/31/suicides-of-nearly-60000-ind
Getting lively in Canning Town on 07:38 - Oct 18 with 1775 viewsNorthernr

I just don't get why you'd disrupt the tube. Surely you want people using electrified public transport to get to work? Why make their day more difficult, they're the good guys aren't they? They're part of the solution? Such actions make even people who are sympathetic to the cause look at them and think they're just professional protester types causing aggro for aggro's sake.

Also, Canning Town, lol. Of course they got a shoeing. Which absolute fcking crackpot decided Canning Town was the best place for that? If I had to list all the stations on the tube in order of places I'd consider a protest like that, Canning Town would be fairly near the top of the 'absolutely no fcking way' section.
Getting lively in Canning Town on 07:51 - Oct 18 with 1762 viewstoboboly

Getting lively in Canning Town on 07:38 - Oct 18 by Northernr

I just don't get why you'd disrupt the tube. Surely you want people using electrified public transport to get to work? Why make their day more difficult, they're the good guys aren't they? They're part of the solution? Such actions make even people who are sympathetic to the cause look at them and think they're just professional protester types causing aggro for aggro's sake.

Also, Canning Town, lol. Of course they got a shoeing. Which absolute fcking crackpot decided Canning Town was the best place for that? If I had to list all the stations on the tube in order of places I'd consider a protest like that, Canning Town would be fairly near the top of the 'absolutely no fcking way' section.

I run events seasonally at the Excel Centre and go through Canning Town at 6.45am sometimes, it scares the shit out of me at that time let alone when it gets busier!

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Getting lively in Canning Town on 08:59 - Oct 18 with 1703 viewsPinnerPaul

Getting lively in Canning Town on 07:38 - Oct 18 by Northernr

Well that's explained by the spokesperson for ER on BBC London News last night.

When questioned on why the action took place when apparently over 70% had voted on an online poll against it, she said that ER had no leadership as such, as made up of lots of disparate 'groups'.

So, as the interviewer pointed out and ER person admitted, she couldn't rule out it happening again.
Getting lively in Canning Town on 09:36 - Oct 18 with 1658 viewsloftboy

Getting lively in Canning Town on 07:51 - Oct 18 by toboboly

I run events seasonally at the Excel Centre and go through Canning Town at 6.45am sometimes, it scares the shit out of me at that time let alone when it gets busier!

I cycle through Canning Town to get to work, th do my scary part is how people drive on the barking road.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Getting lively in Canning Town on 09:37 - Oct 18 with 1653 viewsQPR_Jim

Getting lively in Canning Town on 20:44 - Oct 17 by daveB

i'm sure everyone feels the same, i'm not suggesting it's a choice between get blown up or watch a man wave a flag, its the principal of what they are doing in such as do what we say or we'll do all we can o disrupt your way of life.

Anyway if everyone in the UK did what they said it would make bugger all difference, we are a tiny island compared to the US, China, Africa etc
[Post edited 17 Oct 2019 20:45]

We'll have to disagree on this, most things are trying to influence our behaviour so you need to distinguish between different levels of this. Advertising is fairly background, protesting causes disruption but is peaceful and terrorism threatens your life. So I'd say there's distinct difference between all three of those things despite them all trying to change your habits or how we do things.

Also the we don't matter if X,Y and Z don't change is a really weak argument too.
Getting lively in Canning Town on 09:38 - Oct 18 with 1649 viewstoboboly

Getting lively in Canning Town on 09:36 - Oct 18 by loftboy

I cycle through Canning Town to get to work, th do my scary part is how people drive on the barking road.

You're a better man than I to cycle round there. As a new-ish North London resident the way they drive is insane. Like a bad day at Nascar.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Getting lively in Canning Town on 09:43 - Oct 18 with 1631 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The grown-up part of me says they're stupid fuggers, but there's a child alive in me somewhere muttering 'good for them, at least they're trying'.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Getting lively in Canning Town on 09:52 - Oct 18 with 1613 viewsBoston

Getting lively in Canning Town on 09:43 - Oct 18 by BrianMcCarthy

The grown-up part of me says they're stupid fuggers, but there's a child alive in me somewhere muttering 'good for them, at least they're trying'.

They’re ‘trying’ alright!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Getting lively in Canning Town on 11:04 - Oct 18 with 1530 views2Thomas2Bowles

5 nicked and in court
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50095911

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:34 - Oct 18 with 1382 viewsR_from_afar

Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:55 - Oct 17 by FDC

"A "normal" demonstration, so, lots of people walking down the street and chanting their message and waving their slogans"

Well, to be fair, if these A to B marches against climate change ever achieved anything we wouldn't be on the brink of climate catastrophe now, would we?

Re this action, yeah it's dumb as fvck. I understand when it was mooted the majority in the network opposed it, and the reality of course is that any one can do anything and claim it's being done be XR. That said, the group is very middle class, very white suburban, and has very ill-formed politics, a real naivete, and a real lack of awareness of the lessons of previous climate movements. Their naivete and overt insistence that they are a-political has probably worked for them up until now, because they are constituted of demographics that don't typically get involved in left-wing activism. It isn't the usual suspects turning up to their actions. Great. But, a climate movement without the support of the working-class will get no where ultimately, and pissing off a load of workers on their way to work on environmentally friendly transport is thick.

It's hard to be certain that they were decisive, but it could be argued that the global "normal" protests worked as far as the Paris Agreement is concerned . I say that without meaning to be argumentative!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:39 - Oct 18 with 1371 viewsNed_Kennedys

Getting lively in Canning Town on 11:04 - Oct 18 by 2Thomas2Bowles

5 nicked and in court
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50095911

Margreit Bos, 32, of Parish Road, Chartham, Kent, Martin Newell, 52, of Ivor Road, Birmingham, Philip Kingston, 83, of Blakeney Road, Patchway, South Gloucestershire, and Sue Parfitt, 77, of Rectory Gardens, Bristol

I wonder where they all parked their bikes they used to get to Canning?
Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:42 - Oct 18 with 1364 viewswood_hoop

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50094594

Now that's better than the tube system, but need to check their facts and buy an A to Z or at least look at Google maps.

I think they will find that Oxford St is mainly run of the mill High St chain shops, Selfidges excepted as not a Tesco.

Better off in Sloane St, Chelsea,Knightsbridge area for top end fashionista places.
Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:47 - Oct 18 with 1341 viewsR_from_afar

Getting lively in Canning Town on 00:00 - Oct 18 by CaptainPugwash

Belay there!
Can any o' you Landlubbers shows me IRREFOOTABLE proof of anyone dyin' of "Man Made Climate Change"?
Names an' adressis if youse please.
Or is it allers fifty years down the line?

Yo Ho!

Yes I can and no it isn't:
https://www.carbonbrief.org/study-links-heatwave-deaths-london-paris-climate-cha

PS: Yo Ho!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:49 - Oct 18 with 1337 viewsR_from_afar

Getting lively in Canning Town on 16:50 - Oct 17 by stowmarketrange

Unfortunately people in poorer countries have always died through floods,famine,earthquakes and other disasters caused by the weather and the conditions of the countries they live in.
We had a massive flood in lynemouth in the 50’s that killed lots of people.And the disaster in South Wales in the 60’s was caused by too much rain,I think.
It has always gone on and probably always will.
People glueing themselves to the pavements isn’t going to stop it happening.They made their protest last week,so why the need to continue disrupting the lives of people trying to make a living?

Yes, but now, human influence is causing "natural" disasters to be more severe and to occur more frequently.

Getting lively in Canning Town on 15:23 - Oct 18 with 1241 viewsEsox_Lucius

Extinction Rebellion London

Following our previous statement on this morning’s London transport actions, we would also like to apologise to all those whose lives we disrupted this morning. We have spent a lot of time thinking about how best to respond.

Extinction Rebellion remains fully committed to nonviolence. The climate and ecological emergency is the biggest threat facing us all today, and it is unfortunate that something like this has to happen for this to become ‘newsworthy’.

That said, we are all incredibly sad at how events unfolded this morning, and are using this as an opportunity to learn and reflect as an organisation.

Although we are pushing for disruption and civil disobedience, we are still learning how to do this in a way that does not result in violence, and that does not discriminate against hard-working individuals, especially those in communities who stand to be most affected by the climate crisis and are most vulnerable to systems of power.

The grass is always greener.

Getting lively in Canning Town on 15:28 - Oct 18 with 1233 viewsstowmarketrange

Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:49 - Oct 18 by R_from_afar

Yes, but now, human influence is causing "natural" disasters to be more severe and to occur more frequently.

Are they though?Who can say for certain that 1,000s didn’t die in natural disasters throughout all of our history?
Or is it the fact that there are so many more of us all crammed into spaces where there used to be less people crammed into?
Getting lively in Canning Town on 15:57 - Oct 18 with 1200 viewsNed_Kennedys

Getting lively in Canning Town on 15:23 - Oct 18 by Esox_Lucius

Extinction Rebellion London

Following our previous statement on this morning’s London transport actions, we would also like to apologise to all those whose lives we disrupted this morning. We have spent a lot of time thinking about how best to respond.

Extinction Rebellion remains fully committed to nonviolence. The climate and ecological emergency is the biggest threat facing us all today, and it is unfortunate that something like this has to happen for this to become ‘newsworthy’.

That said, we are all incredibly sad at how events unfolded this morning, and are using this as an opportunity to learn and reflect as an organisation.

Although we are pushing for disruption and civil disobedience, we are still learning how to do this in a way that does not result in violence, and that does not discriminate against hard-working individuals, especially those in communities who stand to be most affected by the climate crisis and are most vulnerable to systems of power.

Desperately backtracking and trying to win back the public goodwill that their stupidity lost then.
Getting lively in Canning Town on 15:59 - Oct 18 with 1192 viewsEsox_Lucius

Getting lively in Canning Town on 15:57 - Oct 18 by Ned_Kennedys

Desperately backtracking and trying to win back the public goodwill that their stupidity lost then.

That's exactly what they are doing. Owning their sh!t.

The grass is always greener.

Getting lively in Canning Town on 17:20 - Oct 18 with 1127 viewsdistortR

like extinction rebellion or don't, but some people seem to be trying to turn this from a climate/survival issue to a class issue.

Class is irrelevant here. I guess the middle classes have more time and financial security so can take a time out to protest and afford a fine when lots of us can't - every days wages are vital to me. And i totally get the anger over their targeting public transport - a dumb move in my mind.

One of the features of climate change that is already happening is more frequent severe weather events disrupting the agricultural industry and forcing food prices up - those people protesting probably have more resilience to that then i have, yet they are still out there making a stand.

It's not a class issue.
Getting lively in Canning Town on 17:52 - Oct 18 with 1099 viewsSharpediver

Getting lively in Canning Town on 13:49 - Oct 18 by R_from_afar

Exactly. The disasters at Lynmouth and Aberfan in 1952 and 1966 respectively were terrible occurrences but neither were caused by climate change. My father in law was a young policeman in South Wales and was called in to help the rescue effort at Aberfan. It was an indescribably horrific event but was not caused by climate change. These disasters in the 1950s and 60s led to the deaths of 178 people. Climate change is expected to lead to the deaths of hundreds of millions (100,000,000s) and also to hundreds of millions of refugees all within the space of this current century. It doesn't make sense in terms of either cause or scale to compare them.

If you want to read some information on climate change predictions based on peer-reviewed science, maybe have a read of this book: David Wallace Wells - "The Uninhabitable Earth". This is a good place to start if you are interested in the scale of the effects of global heating.
Not to forget of course, pollution, mass extinction of species currently underway and rampant inequality reigning supreme across the world. And the small fact that much of the World is currently ruled by dictators or populists intent on destroying democracy and you can see why some people feel it is necessary to protest.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2019 17:54]
Getting lively in Canning Town (n/t) on 18:14 - Oct 18 with 1076 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

[Post edited 18 Oct 2019 18:17]
Getting lively in Canning Town on 18:25 - Oct 18 with 1065 viewsloftboy

I don’t think theres any doubt that the climate is changing, weather is very extreme these days, but listening to these protesters go on about the start of extinction is also extreme, they are frightening people. They are also picking on the wrong country IMHO, go to China,India, the USA and Russia, get them onside and things might make a difference. We are a very small island in the grand scheme of things and can’t police the whole world.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Getting lively in Canning Town (n/t) on 18:27 - Oct 18 with 1059 viewsFredManRave

Getting lively in Canning Town (n/t) on 18:14 - Oct 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

[Post edited 18 Oct 2019 18:17]

Climate change would appear to be affecting Bazza's posts on a more regular basis these days. They keep dissapearing at an alarming rate.

So it's not all bad news.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Getting lively in Canning Town on 19:49 - Oct 18 with 1111 viewsGroveR

Ronan McNern from XR said "It has been polarising but it has created an emotional space for these ideas and that provides us with an opportunity for some real change” and it had created "breakthrough moments that force people to engage with the reality of the climate crisis"

I've never met Mr. McNern but I'm pretty sure he's a bit of a cùnt.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024