Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? 13:56 - Oct 18 with 8735 viewsR_from_afar

I don't go to many away games - lightweight - but was surprised to find that I have actually been to five of them.

I'm impressed by The Old Showground's collapsible floodlights!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/richardbeech/defunct-english-football-grounds

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 11:20 - Oct 20 with 1653 viewsWatfordR

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 11:16 - Oct 20 by SonofNorfolt

You've got that Northern advantage Martin.😄
Once I've bothered to visit Salford and Spurs new stadium I will have seen
Matches at 155 league or former league grounds.
Apart from possibly the Reynolds Arena I don't think there are any more
Still standing that I can do?

15, plus Upton Park, White Hart Lane and Gigg Lane.
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 13:20 - Oct 20 with 1614 viewsBoston

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 11:20 - Oct 20 by WatfordR

Surely White Hart Lane can’t be included? That would mean every club that redeveloped their stadiums would be included eg Stamford Bridge.
When I think of Spurs ground, I always go to the version before the last version, that would score twice on the above standard!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 13:32 - Oct 20 with 1605 viewsClive_Anderson

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 13:20 - Oct 20 by Boston

Surely White Hart Lane can’t be included? That would mean every club that redeveloped their stadiums would be included eg Stamford Bridge.
When I think of Spurs ground, I always go to the version before the last version, that would score twice on the above standard!

Well it's a completely new stadium and they've moved it a bit and called it something new.
A bit like Benfica's stadium that was built next to the old one.

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 17:50 - Oct 20 with 1559 viewssmegma

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 15:40 - Oct 18 by Esox_Lucius

23 for me and a couple not on the list.

Ditto
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 19:01 - Oct 20 with 1536 viewsHastings_Hoops

Only 4 for me + Griffin park next year, when the fools move into their new tiny stadium
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 19:15 - Oct 20 with 1533 viewsstevec

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 11:20 - Oct 20 by WatfordR

Ditto, apart from Gigg Lane.
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 19:56 - Oct 20 with 1511 viewslongbottom

I'd actually forgotten about Layer Road, Colchester. A dump if ever there was one.
In terms of shyteness, the Baseball ground has to be at the top. Generally got a shoeing there too.
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 22:25 - Oct 20 with 1468 viewsBoston

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 19:56 - Oct 20 by longbottom

I'd actually forgotten about Layer Road, Colchester. A dump if ever there was one.
In terms of shyteness, the Baseball ground has to be at the top. Generally got a shoeing there too.

Huh, you're joking about the shoeing, right?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 00:09 - Oct 21 with 1442 viewswombat

35 on that list 118 in total over the years

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 00:12 - Oct 21 with 1440 viewssmegma

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 21:27 - Oct 18 by CheshireR

36 for me.
Missing Eastville, Don Valley and Loakes Park. Seen the R's at 25 of my 36.

You need to get out more Mr B !!
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 00:19 - Oct 21 with 1436 viewssmegma

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 13:20 - Oct 20 by Boston

It's not a redeveloped or refurbished stadium. It's a new stadium. And mighty fine it is.
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 00:47 - Oct 21 with 1413 viewsBoston

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 19:56 - Oct 20 by longbottom

Y’know I was thinking a bit about this, ‘74 we were causing a nuisance on the pitch, ‘75 we stuffed ‘em 5-1 and er established our position on the terrace prior to kick off(though the bricks were flying after the match), following year was the night game running riot...
[Post edited 21 Oct 2019 1:12]

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 01:05 - Oct 21 with 1408 viewsVancouverHoop

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 18:29 - Oct 18 by PinnerPaul

5 - ran the line at Underhill once and yes that slope was a killer!

Not as bad as Loakes Park. You put the ball at one corner flag and, if the goalposts weren't in the way, it'd roll all the way to the other.

Only six for me, but I moved to Canada when I was 23, (a feeble excuse I know):

Filbert Street
The old Den
Underhill
Old Wembley (my first Rs game!)
Loakes Park
Plough Lane
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 01:09 - Oct 21 with 1405 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Been to 12 of these plus Upton Park, Spurs old ground and Bury too
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 12:10 - Oct 21 with 1322 viewsRangersDave

13 for me but i note no Rushden? kettering?

there must be more weve seen Rangers at that have moved or gone out of business... Bury?

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 12:20 - Oct 21 with 1316 viewsdaveB

19 for me, my god I'm old
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 12:42 - Oct 21 with 1299 viewsloftus77

10 for me, I reckon, including the old White Hart Lane.

Also, a shout out for the mighty arena that was Lower Mead Stadium in Wealdstone featuring Stuart Pearce, Alan Cordice and many others (including a former player-manager who I won't mention). Loved changing ends at half time. Now a Tesco car park I believe.
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 12:54 - Oct 21 with 1282 viewsR_from_afar

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 22:19 - Oct 18 by derbyhoop

16. There were some real dumps, including the o,d Wembley.

I got a free ticket (via work) to see Newcastle v Arsenal in the FA Cup final and went along with my Toon Army supporting colleague. The game was probably most memorable for the rivers of wee flowing down from the toilet blocks towards the seating areas . I don't think that was due to a fault, I think it was normal!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 15:10 - Oct 21 with 1245 viewsBoston

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 12:42 - Oct 21 by loftus77

Also, a shout out for the mighty arena that was Lower Mead Stadium in Wealdstone featuring Stuart Pearce, Alan Cordice and many others (including a former player-manager who I won't mention). Loved changing ends at half time. Now a Tesco car park I believe.

Didn’t change ends when some teams were in town, Burton was one, but the BIG headache was Barnet.

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 15:21 - Oct 21 with 1232 viewskingsburyR

9 on the list for me!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 15:24 - Oct 21 with 1228 viewsstowmarketrange

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 12:54 - Oct 21 by R_from_afar

I got a free ticket (via work) to see Newcastle v Arsenal in the FA Cup final and went along with my Toon Army supporting colleague. The game was probably most memorable for the rivers of wee flowing down from the toilet blocks towards the seating areas . I don't think that was due to a fault, I think it was normal!

I was just making my way up the stairs for a pee when o––d scored their first goal in the phantom final of 86.Wish I’d stayed in the bogs for the rest of the game.
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 16:10 - Oct 21 with 1213 viewsElHoop

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 12:42 - Oct 21 by loftus77

I think that I've seen 12 of those grounds, but it's hard to remember exactly. Yeah Lower Mead was fantastic - particularly for night games. Was bloody freezing back then though - before global warming.

Can't think of many Stones games when we couldn't change ends. Reading in the FA Cup was one and maybe Aldershot too, but am struggling to think of too many others. I remember one night when we played Wimbledon around the time of their Cup run which involved Leeds and they brought loads down - packed the whole of the Elmsleigh and the bit in front of the tea bar and I still think that we changed ends at half time.

Barnet of course left Underhill to move into the ground that we should have had, had the builders not gone bust. Hopefully we'll get a chance to go there and give our old friends a visit before much longer.
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 17:51 - Oct 21 with 1181 viewsjoe90

A respectable 1. Showing my age.
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 18:41 - Oct 21 with 1162 viewslongbottom

Also to mention Hendon s old ground Claremont Road. Willesdens Stadium in King Eddie's no longer used for football I think.
Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 19:48 - Oct 21 with 1140 viewsVancouverHoop

Anyone been to all these now defunct football grounds? on 18:41 - Oct 21 by longbottom

Also to mention Hendon s old ground Claremont Road. Willesdens Stadium in King Eddie's no longer used for football I think.

Oh Claremont Road. A sea of mud even in June. St Albans' Clarendon Park, with the tree growing through the terrace. Anyone else remember Walthamstow Avenue's massive stand? it seemed bigger than anything in the first division.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024