Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR is a blight on our game 20:47 - Oct 20 with 17955 viewsBlackCrowe

Watford robbed yesterday and man yoo's goal should not have stood today. So something that was designed to eradicate controversy is actually creating it.

Seemlingly a huge proportion of goals being referred to VAR. Referees don't have to referee any more. Fans can't properly celebrate in the moment of joy when the ball hits the net because the immediate reaction is to see if it gets referred to VAR. It's also an irritating name.

i truly hate it.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2019 20:48]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

VAR is a blight on our game on 10:35 - Oct 21 with 1791 viewsMick_S

"The true beauty of football is the immediacy and the release of someone scoring. Orgasmic ecstasy after all that frustration. VAR is like losing your erection half way through the act."

In front of 30,000 people.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

VAR is a blight on our game on 10:36 - Oct 21 with 1789 viewsNorthernr

Another impact it's had is to massively increase dissent and referee crowding. Every fcking incident now there's five or six round the referee asking him to check it. They do it after every goal, which is pointless as every goal is checked anyway.
VAR is a blight on our game on 10:37 - Oct 21 with 1787 viewsCamberleyR

If they're going to use it they should adopt a similar system to cricket. Each team's captain gets two reviews per half to challenge a contentious decision.

If the ref's decision was shown to be wrong and the challenge is correct they keep the review, if the challenge is incorrect and the officials' decision is upheld, they lose it.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

VAR is a blight on our game on 10:39 - Oct 21 with 1776 viewsNorthernr

VAR is a blight on our game on 10:37 - Oct 21 by CamberleyR

If they're going to use it they should adopt a similar system to cricket. Each team's captain gets two reviews per half to challenge a contentious decision.

If the ref's decision was shown to be wrong and the challenge is correct they keep the review, if the challenge is incorrect and the officials' decision is upheld, they lose it.

But then presumably Leicester, Watford and Liverpool would all have challenged their decisions this weekend, they'd have been reviewed, and then the Burnley goal would still have been incorrectly disallowed, the Watford penalty would still have been incorrectly waved away, and the Man Utd goal would still have stood even though that contradicts what happened the day before.
VAR is a blight on our game on 10:40 - Oct 21 with 1772 viewsMetallica_Hoop

It all seems so NFL to me.

The cricket version I get and does make the game a bit more exciting however the football varsion is rubbish.

'Var the boneless.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2019 10:41]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

VAR is a blight on our game on 10:49 - Oct 21 with 1743 viewsted_hendrix

Its gone to var if you ask me.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

VAR is a blight on our game on 10:53 - Oct 21 with 1735 viewsClive_Anderson

I hate it, but it seems to work a bit better in most of the men's world cup. Seemed to mostly use it to overturn clear and obvious errors and was ok. Dive for penalty or blatantly offside is overturned...fine.

Now they use it to overturn goals if someone might be 4 atoms offside or give a penalty if it brushes the hair on someone's arm.

It's like they are implementing it as badly as possible so they can say they tried and get rid of it.
VAR is a blight on our game on 10:58 - Oct 21 with 1704 viewsLongsufferingR

VAR is a blight on our game on 10:53 - Oct 21 by Clive_Anderson

I hate it, but it seems to work a bit better in most of the men's world cup. Seemed to mostly use it to overturn clear and obvious errors and was ok. Dive for penalty or blatantly offside is overturned...fine.

Now they use it to overturn goals if someone might be 4 atoms offside or give a penalty if it brushes the hair on someone's arm.

It's like they are implementing it as badly as possible so they can say they tried and get rid of it.

I sincerely hope your last sentence is the truth.
Login to get fewer ads

VAR is a blight on our game on 11:29 - Oct 21 with 1657 viewsdaveB

It's been really poor so far, the Burnley goal being disallowed but the Man Utd one being OK summed it up, they just don't over turn decisions making it completely pointless.

Said it loads of times they should just have it similar to cricket and give each team 3 reviews a game and a time limit on all 3. You have to appeal within 6 seconds of the incident and if your appeal fails and the ref was right you lose one of your 2 remaining ones which should help prevent teams just appealing every goal they concede on the off chance an arse cheek is offside.

The communication needs to be miles better as well, watching the Rugby weekend I have no idea what the rules of that are but when they go to TMO they clearly say what they are looking for and everyone in the stadium and watching on TV understands it.
VAR is a blight on our game on 11:41 - Oct 21 with 1643 viewsdaveB

VAR is a blight on our game on 10:04 - Oct 21 by PinnerPaul

because as I have said before VAR isn't some mythical all seeing being - its just another referee who will have a subjective opinion like his colleague out on the pitch.

We will agree with some, not with others. VAR doesn't change that so not worth the delay, aggravation in my mind.

Only genuine corrections have been offsides that are often millimetres - again is all the hassle/time delay/discussion worth it just to correct the odd wrong decision and that's all it is.

As for the protocol and the Man Utd/Liverpool incident - despite my dislike of VAR - nothing wrong with that decision -some thought it a foul, some not - so evidently its NOT a clear and obvious error!

Can't agree about the Watford 'pen' though - he fouled him 3 times! There again the fact that you thought it wasn't a pen makes it not a clear and obvious error I guess!

The way they have done it by not over turning anything is just a clever/sneaky way to make fans accept the going to the pitchside monitor for 3 minutes and watching it again
VAR is a blight on our game on 11:50 - Oct 21 with 1623 viewsfrancisbowles

VAR is a blight on our game on 11:41 - Oct 21 by daveB

The way they have done it by not over turning anything is just a clever/sneaky way to make fans accept the going to the pitchside monitor for 3 minutes and watching it again

Except, unlike the rest of the world they don't use the pitch side monitor in the English league. The decision to overule or not seems to be made at Stockley Park.

Supposedly, don't laugh, for minimum interference from VAR!
VAR is a blight on our game on 11:55 - Oct 21 with 1615 viewsdaveB

VAR is a blight on our game on 11:50 - Oct 21 by francisbowles

Except, unlike the rest of the world they don't use the pitch side monitor in the English league. The decision to overule or not seems to be made at Stockley Park.

Supposedly, don't laugh, for minimum interference from VAR!

thats the point, if they they did the pitchside thing everyone would moan and say it takes too much time but by not doing it and not changing any wrong decisions people are now calling for it so they can bring it in now
VAR is a blight on our game on 12:10 - Oct 21 with 1598 viewsClive_Anderson

VAR is a blight on our game on 11:55 - Oct 21 by daveB

thats the point, if they they did the pitchside thing everyone would moan and say it takes too much time but by not doing it and not changing any wrong decisions people are now calling for it so they can bring it in now

Would people have complained? It worked well at the World Cup.
VAR is a blight on our game on 12:18 - Oct 21 with 1581 viewsdaveB

VAR is a blight on our game on 12:10 - Oct 21 by Clive_Anderson

Would people have complained? It worked well at the World Cup.

it was one of the big arguments against bringing it in that it took too much time at games
VAR is a blight on our game on 12:34 - Oct 21 with 1562 viewsManinBlack

It's purpose seems to be to exonerate the referees as when they make the wrong call VAR backs their decision so in essence making out the ref was right all along. I suspect this gives them the cop out to still favour the bigger clubs when they play the lesser teams like Watford being denied a penalty at Spurs.
VAR is a blight on our game on 13:19 - Oct 21 with 1524 viewsPinnerPaul

VAR is a blight on our game on 12:18 - Oct 21 by daveB

it was one of the big arguments against bringing it in that it took too much time at games

Yes agree, it didn't work well at all for me.

There was one penalty I remember - ref gave it - she was 3 yards away - VAR told her to go to pitchside monitor to check - she did and still , correctly, gave the pen - complete and utter waste of time.

Convinced Martin Atkinson would not have changed decision even after looking at pitch side monitor. would just equal more dissent, more time
VAR is a blight on our game on 13:25 - Oct 21 with 1514 viewsThe_Beast1976

VAR is a blight on our game on 10:17 - Oct 21 by loftboy

As far as I’m concerned it’s a clusterfûck. Totally ruined the games for those spectators that matter. The ones that actually pay to go to a game. Fûck the armchair fans,fûck the knobheads down the pub in their replica shirts that have never stepped inside a football stadium in their life and FÛCK Sky you complete and utter bunch of cûnts.

"Totally ruined the games for those spectators that matter".

That's where you are unfortunately in conflict with the people who run the game. In modern football it is the armchairs watching at home and the knobheads down the pub in their replica kits who are the ones that matter. Fans who go to games are really only a minor importance to the extent that they provide an atmosphere for the more important people watching on the tv. VAR gives the more important people watching on tv more to debate and,. for that reason, it will be going nowhere.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2019 13:29]
VAR is a blight on our game on 15:42 - Oct 21 with 1451 viewstimcocking

So bloody typical. For years i've been lambasting them for not using technology. I was in South Africa when we'd have beaten the Germans, but they disallowed Lampard's goal that almost went through the back of the net, almost killed me.

Be careful what you wish for in life, it is bloody grim. I bet the national rate of heart attacks is rising because of it. The word debacle springs to mind.
VAR is a blight on our game on 19:23 - Oct 21 with 1386 viewsBlackCrowe

i could just about stomach this.

Two reviews per team as in cricket - captain calls for the review. if review goes in your favour then remaining reviews stay in tact, if not then you lost one.

Each review replay is physically viewed by ref for his decision only as in rugby.

The fans get to see on the big screen exactly what the ref sees for transparency and feeling part of it all as in rugby and cricket.

Finally call it anything but VAR.

Hope this helps.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2019 19:24]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

VAR is a blight on our game on 19:40 - Oct 21 with 1368 viewsQPR_John

VAR is a blight on our game on 19:23 - Oct 21 by BlackCrowe

Two reviews per team as in cricket - captain calls for the review. if review goes in your favour then remaining reviews stay in tact, if not then you lost one.

Each review replay is physically viewed by ref for his decision only as in rugby.

The fans get to see on the big screen exactly what the ref sees for transparency and feeling part of it all as in rugby and cricket.

Hope this helps.

"transparency"

That's were your plan falls. The last thing the authorities want is transparency
VAR is a blight on our game on 21:01 - Oct 21 with 1336 viewsHantsR

Breaking news: Because of the VAR decisions yesterday, Jurgen Klopp and his family have decided to leave the UK, they are leaving on Sunday 27th October at 02.00am. Remember you heard it here first, the Klopps go back on 27th October!
VAR is a blight on our game on 21:45 - Oct 21 with 1312 viewsblacky2013

VAR is a blight on our game on 09:10 - Oct 21 by CamberleyR

I read somewhere that pre-VAR, referees got about 98.5% of decisions right so millions of pounds is being wasted ruining the game in the process to try to make it 1.5% better.

I reckon if they want to make it more than 1.5% better for much less money they should crack down on the players hitting the deck like they've been shot at the slightest touch.
VAR is a blight on our game on 09:45 - Oct 22 with 1226 viewsfrancisbowles

VAR is a blight on our game on 19:23 - Oct 21 by BlackCrowe

Hope this helps.

Except if you gave the power to the players, they would start abusing it and when leading 1-0 with minutes to go call any unused reviews just to break up the game. The go to the side of the pitch for a drinks break, extensive coaching session etc etc. just before the review has finished to delay it even more.
VAR is a blight on our game on 14:04 - Oct 22 with 1153 viewsQPR_John

VAR is a blight on our game on 09:45 - Oct 22 by francisbowles

Except if you gave the power to the players, they would start abusing it and when leading 1-0 with minutes to go call any unused reviews just to break up the game. The go to the side of the pitch for a drinks break, extensive coaching session etc etc. just before the review has finished to delay it even more.

I would suggest if any team had unused reviews so late in the game they will not have used the system correctly
VAR is a blight on our game on 16:12 - Oct 22 with 1113 viewsAddinall

We were told it was to clear up "clear and obvious errors" . Overturning offside decisions of a yard or more makes sense. Millimetres or inches is nonsense. Likewise with blatant fouls and handball it makes sense but if they have to check to the nth degree then it is not clear and obvious. Stick to "clear and obvious" and most of the controversy goes away.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024