Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR is a blight on our game 20:47 - Oct 20 with 18106 viewsBlackCrowe

Watford robbed yesterday and man yoo's goal should not have stood today. So something that was designed to eradicate controversy is actually creating it.

Seemlingly a huge proportion of goals being referred to VAR. Referees don't have to referee any more. Fans can't properly celebrate in the moment of joy when the ball hits the net because the immediate reaction is to see if it gets referred to VAR. It's also an irritating name.

i truly hate it.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2019 20:48]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

VAR is a blight on our game on 18:52 - Nov 10 with 1909 viewsManinBlack

VAR is a blight on our game on 18:33 - Nov 5 by QPR_John

Arms would not count as they cannot be used to play the ball

His legs are just as long as his arms so Crouchie is right to hint that his height would count against him whichever part of his anatomy offends VAR. If goals are disallowed for an armpit being offside then there is no end of this nonsense.

Watford and Sheffield United have both been robbed at Spurs so any bias shown to the big clubs by refs is now replicated by the guy looking at VAR.

The decision at Anfield today looks like another example of sticking by the ref for making the wrong call and not show him up in a big game.
VAR is a blight on our game on 19:16 - Nov 10 with 1861 viewsstowmarketrange

VAR is a blight on our game on 18:52 - Nov 10 by ManinBlack

His legs are just as long as his arms so Crouchie is right to hint that his height would count against him whichever part of his anatomy offends VAR. If goals are disallowed for an armpit being offside then there is no end of this nonsense.

Watford and Sheffield United have both been robbed at Spurs so any bias shown to the big clubs by refs is now replicated by the guy looking at VAR.

The decision at Anfield today looks like another example of sticking by the ref for making the wrong call and not show him up in a big game.

Why not just go and use the tv by the dugouts and see that you’ve missed an outstretched arm stopping the ball in the area?From the angle he saw it from it understandable that he wasn’t sure whether it was deliberate or not,but from the tv replays you could see that he moved his arm out deliberately.
Why not use all the technology available to him to make the right call?
Admittedly it doesn’t normally result in a goal at the other end,and I think he was worried about the consequences if he’d disallowed the Liverpool goal,but the var official should have the balls to overturn it.
Otherwise it makes a mockery of the whole thing and we’d be better off without it.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2019 19:17]
VAR is a blight on our game on 20:04 - Nov 10 with 1790 viewsThe_Beast1976

VAR is a blight on our game on 19:16 - Nov 10 by stowmarketrange

Why not just go and use the tv by the dugouts and see that you’ve missed an outstretched arm stopping the ball in the area?From the angle he saw it from it understandable that he wasn’t sure whether it was deliberate or not,but from the tv replays you could see that he moved his arm out deliberately.
Why not use all the technology available to him to make the right call?
Admittedly it doesn’t normally result in a goal at the other end,and I think he was worried about the consequences if he’d disallowed the Liverpool goal,but the var official should have the balls to overturn it.
Otherwise it makes a mockery of the whole thing and we’d be better off without it.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2019 19:17]

If you're talking about the Liverpool handball when Stirling flicked it up and it hit his arm, I don't agree that it was deliberate
VAR is a blight on our game on 20:14 - Nov 10 with 1781 viewsstowmarketrange

VAR is a blight on our game on 20:04 - Nov 10 by The_Beast1976

If you're talking about the Liverpool handball when Stirling flicked it up and it hit his arm, I don't agree that it was deliberate

The one before Liverpool’s first goal is the one I’m talking about.He moved his arm up to block the ball.
VAR is a blight on our game on 20:29 - Nov 10 with 1756 viewsThe_Beast1976

VAR is a blight on our game on 20:14 - Nov 10 by stowmarketrange

The one before Liverpool’s first goal is the one I’m talking about.He moved his arm up to block the ball.

Ah OK didn't see that one (only put the game on briefly).
VAR is a blight on our game on 00:24 - Nov 11 with 1671 viewsCLAREMAN1995

VAR is a blight on our game on 20:14 - Nov 10 by stowmarketrange

If the first handball by Arnold is not a penalty then I throw my hands up and admit knowing zero about the game.He basically reached out and blocked it (I know it happened fast )but once it went to VAR it was a stonewall penalty.Making matters much worse for City Liverpool went the length of the field and scored straight away .I know that is irrelevant now but if it was called correctly City probably would have probably got a draw out of it if not all 3 points IMO.
The second one was way tougher to call but by the rules of the game it should have been a penalty too .To be honest I am lost
VAR is a blight on our game on 02:19 - Nov 11 with 1644 viewsFredManRave

In football 2019 the first handball is a stonewall penalty whilst also at the same time being able to not be a penalty in football 2019.

I think it was 23 seconds between handball and the Liverpool goal and there's a chance they were still reviewing the handball when Liverpool scored which made their minds up for them.

Fwiw the second goal was onside.

But then there's the small matter of the second handball.

VAR isn't ruining the game, that's too extreme a view, imo, but it is changing the flow and impulsiveness of the game and adding more uncertainty and errors instead of reducing them.

Today was Lavarpool.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 2:21]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

VAR is a blight on our game on 07:20 - Nov 11 with 1576 viewsdistortR

I get that referee's will make mistakes in the game - the Brentford penalty really pissed me off but i understand he had one view, one angle etc etc.

But when they sit and look at replays AND still get the wrong decision, well, that's just ridiculous.

The sheff utd disallowed goal was bollox - not only is the technology not precise enough to ensure that the image we see is taken the EXACT moment the ball is played, but the cross from the allegedly offside player was cleared and the goal came the the next phase imo - and imo shows another problem with var.

VAR just isn't working how they hoped it would, partly because interpretation of the rules still comes hugely into play, so I imagine the money men and football authorities will have the humility to admit that it just hasn't gone to plan, that it's taking away the thrill of that moment of pure release when a goal is scored, and will banish VAR to football's room 101, where it can nestle alongside the wagon wheels, hot bovril, zds cup etc etc.

I wish
Login to get fewer ads

VAR is a blight on our game on 10:09 - Nov 11 with 1498 viewshubble

That's the nub of it mate - they've invested so much in it, they're hardly going to can it... but can it they should. It's just destroying the enjoyment of the game, and uncertainty, mistakes etc. are part of it. You *cannot* have a perfectly reffed game when there is so much that is subjective, and like I said earlier, we're humans, not machines. I think the goal line tech is good, and think retrospective cards (or removing cards) is probably a good idea, but that's it. Get this crap out of our game. Improving the quality and training of refs would be a far better investment IMO.
VAR is a blight on our game on 10:13 - Nov 11 with 1491 viewsTheChef

VAR is a blight on our game on 10:09 - Nov 11 by hubble

That's the nub of it mate - they've invested so much in it, they're hardly going to can it... but can it they should. It's just destroying the enjoyment of the game, and uncertainty, mistakes etc. are part of it. You *cannot* have a perfectly reffed game when there is so much that is subjective, and like I said earlier, we're humans, not machines. I think the goal line tech is good, and think retrospective cards (or removing cards) is probably a good idea, but that's it. Get this crap out of our game. Improving the quality and training of refs would be a far better investment IMO.

Absolutely.

Unfortunately they'd much rather keep VAR and create as much controversy and disagreement as possible.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

VAR is a blight on our game on 12:28 - Nov 11 with 1398 viewsdaveB

VAR is a blight on our game on 02:19 - Nov 11 by FredManRave

In football 2019 the first handball is a stonewall penalty whilst also at the same time being able to not be a penalty in football 2019.

I think it was 23 seconds between handball and the Liverpool goal and there's a chance they were still reviewing the handball when Liverpool scored which made their minds up for them.

Fwiw the second goal was onside.

But then there's the small matter of the second handball.

VAR isn't ruining the game, that's too extreme a view, imo, but it is changing the flow and impulsiveness of the game and adding more uncertainty and errors instead of reducing them.

Today was Lavarpool.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 2:21]

Where they have ties themselves up in knots with this handball rule due to VAR was summed up yesterday as they have tried to change the rules to fit in with VAR.

If the ball hits an attackers hand and a goal is then scored it is handball no question about accidental but if it hits a defenders hand it can be seen as accidental.

The Trent Alexander one I thought was a penalty but seen then not given yet as Liverpool then break and score should the goal not have been disallowed as the attacking team gained an advantage which lead to a goal.

The argument will come back about different phases of play but that didn't come into account for the Sheffield United offside when the bloke whose toe was offside crossed and it was cleared before they scored from the next ball in.

Basically thats a long winded way of saying it's a load of old bullocks
VAR is a blight on our game on 12:30 - Nov 11 with 1397 viewsstowmarketrange

VAR is a blight on our game on 07:20 - Nov 11 by distortR

I get that referee's will make mistakes in the game - the Brentford penalty really pissed me off but i understand he had one view, one angle etc etc.

But when they sit and look at replays AND still get the wrong decision, well, that's just ridiculous.

The sheff utd disallowed goal was bollox - not only is the technology not precise enough to ensure that the image we see is taken the EXACT moment the ball is played, but the cross from the allegedly offside player was cleared and the goal came the the next phase imo - and imo shows another problem with var.

VAR just isn't working how they hoped it would, partly because interpretation of the rules still comes hugely into play, so I imagine the money men and football authorities will have the humility to admit that it just hasn't gone to plan, that it's taking away the thrill of that moment of pure release when a goal is scored, and will banish VAR to football's room 101, where it can nestle alongside the wagon wheels, hot bovril, zds cup etc etc.

I wish

What have you got against Bovril?Its a lovely lukewarm drink to have on a cold day watching your team get battered.
It can also be served hot,but not at qpr.
VAR is a blight on our game on 12:35 - Nov 11 with 1388 viewsThe_Beast1976

VAR is a blight on our game on 10:13 - Nov 11 by TheChef

Absolutely.

Unfortunately they'd much rather keep VAR and create as much controversy and disagreement as possible.

Precisely this (and all for the benefit of the tv audience)
VAR is a blight on our game on 16:49 - Nov 11 with 1295 viewsdistortR

VAR is a blight on our game on 12:30 - Nov 11 by stowmarketrange

What have you got against Bovril?Its a lovely lukewarm drink to have on a cold day watching your team get battered.
It can also be served hot,but not at qpr.

served hot?
served not.

so some like it, some don't. I think the new word for that is marmite, therefore bovril is marmite.

but I like marmite?
VAR is a blight on our game on 09:52 - Nov 26 with 1125 viewsfrancisbowles

Having trawled through MOTD, MOTD2 and watched three of the weekend's matches live, it was a very good weekend for VAR.

Only one major talking point, Sterling's disallowed 'offside goal'. Technically correct but marginal. Not really a VAR problem but an issue with the offside law.

The other issue was the delay with the McBurnie late equaliser, again more of an issue with the new handball rule.

I am not a fan and could do without the delays but maybe they are starting to get to grips with it and a few law tweaks would improve it further.
VAR is a blight on our game on 14:01 - Nov 26 with 1057 viewsPinnerPaul

VAR is a blight on our game on 09:52 - Nov 26 by francisbowles

Having trawled through MOTD, MOTD2 and watched three of the weekend's matches live, it was a very good weekend for VAR.

Only one major talking point, Sterling's disallowed 'offside goal'. Technically correct but marginal. Not really a VAR problem but an issue with the offside law.

The other issue was the delay with the McBurnie late equaliser, again more of an issue with the new handball rule.

I am not a fan and could do without the delays but maybe they are starting to get to grips with it and a few law tweaks would improve it further.

Sterling's offside was a joke, not helped the PGMOL's blatant lie to justify it.

On Sheff Utd's goal - still far too long to decide if its an 'obvious' error, how many replays does it take to decide its not obvious?
VAR is a blight on our game on 15:13 - Nov 26 with 1030 viewsWalnut

VAR is a blight on our game on 14:01 - Nov 26 by PinnerPaul

Sterling's offside was a joke, not helped the PGMOL's blatant lie to justify it.

On Sheff Utd's goal - still far too long to decide if its an 'obvious' error, how many replays does it take to decide its not obvious?

Whilst you're on PP, not strictly VAR but what's the law with regards encroaching at penalties? Did I understand from the Leicester retake at Brighton that regardless of outcome (goal / miss) IF BOTH teams encroach it's a retake full stop?
VAR is a blight on our game on 15:18 - Nov 26 with 1016 viewsdaveB

VAR is a blight on our game on 09:52 - Nov 26 by francisbowles

It really wasn't a good weekend for VAR. The Palace goal disallowed for the slightest of pushes which if done by the defender would not see a penalty given.

The Sheffield United one was never in a million years handball but they took several minutes to decide which absolutely killed the atmosphere in the stadium and sucked the joy out of what should have been a great moment. As soon as he scored you just knew they'd try and find a reason to get involved.

As for the Sterling one, christ even when they show the pictures I can't see how he is offside.

with every passing week it gets worse, scrap the bloody thing
VAR is a blight on our game on 16:26 - Nov 26 with 981 viewsPinnerPaul

VAR is a blight on our game on 15:13 - Nov 26 by Walnut

Whilst you're on PP, not strictly VAR but what's the law with regards encroaching at penalties? Did I understand from the Leicester retake at Brighton that regardless of outcome (goal / miss) IF BOTH teams encroach it's a retake full stop?

Yes that's correct - just had to double check as its so complicated, good job I did because if both teams encroach BUT kicker commits a 'more serious offence' ie illegal feint then that would be an IDFK to defending side.
VAR is a blight on our game on 16:28 - Nov 26 with 978 viewsPinnerPaul

VAR is a blight on our game on 15:18 - Nov 26 by daveB

It really wasn't a good weekend for VAR. The Palace goal disallowed for the slightest of pushes which if done by the defender would not see a penalty given.

The Sheffield United one was never in a million years handball but they took several minutes to decide which absolutely killed the atmosphere in the stadium and sucked the joy out of what should have been a great moment. As soon as he scored you just knew they'd try and find a reason to get involved.

As for the Sterling one, christ even when they show the pictures I can't see how he is offside.

Glad I've won you over Dave!
VAR is a blight on our game on 16:30 - Nov 26 with 974 viewsPinnerPaul

Just to add - those 3 incidents also show the folly of a few weeks ago whereby everybody was claiming it would be much better if the ref went to look at a monitor.

Only thing that would have done in all 3 cases would have been to delay the game even more!
VAR is a blight on our game on 18:15 - Nov 26 with 944 viewsNorthernr

That McBurnie one was a proper joke. You've spent all season insisting that players are offside at the arm pit, now you're spending 2 minutes looking at a ball hitting a guy's shoulder and deciding if it's handball.
VAR is a blight on our game on 00:02 - Nov 27 with 892 viewsdaveB

VAR is a blight on our game on 16:28 - Nov 26 by PinnerPaul

Glad I've won you over Dave!

always said I wanted to see it trialled to see if it would work or not, stll think it can work if done differently but in the current format it is insert several swear words
VAR is a blight on our game on 09:35 - Nov 27 with 828 viewsfrancisbowles

I don't agree with you on the first one, a push is a push.

On the second and third, as I said in my original post it is the offside law and the new handball rule that I believe were at fault on these occasions. If they went back to clear daylight and deliberate handball, these decisions probably wouldn't have needed referral to VAR or at least they would have been resolved much more quickly.

I haven't been a fan and I'm still not convinced we need it but my point was that I believe it worked much better this weekend.
VAR is a blight on our game on 10:57 - Nov 27 with 812 viewsdaveB

VAR is a blight on our game on 09:35 - Nov 27 by francisbowles

I don't agree with you on the first one, a push is a push.

On the second and third, as I said in my original post it is the offside law and the new handball rule that I believe were at fault on these occasions. If they went back to clear daylight and deliberate handball, these decisions probably wouldn't have needed referral to VAR or at least they would have been resolved much more quickly.

I haven't been a fan and I'm still not convinced we need it but my point was that I believe it worked much better this weekend.

If that's it working much better then god help us.

It just seems to get involved when it's not needed, none of those incidents needed VAR, the on field decision was fine for all of them when it's a tight call like that
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024