Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bilbao versus San Sebastian 09:45 - Nov 5 with 2767 viewsRs_Holy

Sorry its not a footy game, I’m planning on doing a bit of a road trip of Northern Central Spain next year. It will involve the ferry to Bilbao and then plenty of driving with stop offs at Salamanca, Madrid, Toledo, Huesca and Pamplona (I’m not doing the bull run btw).
So, the last 4ish days we’d like to just relax in either Bilbao or San Sebastian before sailing home.
Has anyone been to both and if so which one is best for a chilled relaxing last few days of a holiday? Many thanks RH!
Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 09:47 - Nov 5 with 2765 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Both very good. I’d probably say San Sebastian, but Bilbao ain’t too shabby.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 09:50 - Nov 5 with 2753 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Both great places, as Honney says. I prefer Bilbao slightly, love the buildings, food and museums.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 09:52 - Nov 5 with 2747 viewsRs_Holy

looks like I might have to split it!... good news is they're pretty close to one another.
Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 09:55 - Nov 5 with 2742 viewsKonk

Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 09:50 - Nov 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Both great places, as Honney says. I prefer Bilbao slightly, love the buildings, food and museums.

Both great cities for food, drink and mooching about, but I reckon San Sebastian has the edge in terms of food and location. They're only an hour apart, so I would be tempted to do a full day and night in Bilbao and the rest in San Sebastian. Unless it's around the football season, in which case I'd try and get an Athletic game in, even if it meant changing plans.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 09:58 - Nov 5 with 2738 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 09:55 - Nov 5 by Konk

Both great cities for food, drink and mooching about, but I reckon San Sebastian has the edge in terms of food and location. They're only an hour apart, so I would be tempted to do a full day and night in Bilbao and the rest in San Sebastian. Unless it's around the football season, in which case I'd try and get an Athletic game in, even if it meant changing plans.

Ya, that's a good call.

Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 10:09 - Nov 5 with 2728 viewsRs_Holy

thanks everyone.... might have to throw in an extra day and have 3 nights in
San Sebastian and 2 nights in Bilbao
Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 13:57 - Nov 5 with 2622 viewsNorthernr

Done both loads, San Seb is one of my favourite places in the world. Much prefer it to Bilbao (though that's worth a visit), and just about anywhere else.
Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 19:24 - Nov 5 with 2530 viewsMedwayR

Do this. Both fantastic places but San Sebastian is superb and given the choice I know where I’d go.

Poll: Who’s better?

Login to get fewer ads

Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 08:18 - Nov 6 with 2427 viewshopphoops

Here's a plan C - stay in Getaria, a lovely little fishing village with good beaches half way between the two.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Bilbao versus San Sebastian (n/t) on 10:31 - Nov 6 with 2376 views18StoneOfHoop

Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 08:18 - Nov 6 by hopphoops

Here's a plan C - stay in Getaria, a lovely little fishing village with good beaches half way between the two.

Zarautz near Getaria is ace wee village on that coast too. Climb the mountains and play mad basque sports..pelota etcetera A mate who lived opposite The Elgin in Ladbroke Grove married a Basque girl,got given an honorary basque beret and loves it

To my mind II think San Sebastian with it's sweeping curving bay is more beautiful and bettter pincho chomping snack-bite country than industrial less beautiful Bilbao.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2019 10:38]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 13:10 - Nov 6 with 2319 viewsSonofNorfolt

San Sebastian only has one downside, the price of property, it is the most expensive in Spain, otherwise I would move there tomorrow.
Instead, Gijon, two hundred miles away in Asturias, may be the more likely option.
Make sure you get a game in, both Bilbao and Sociedad are great clubs.
Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 14:32 - Nov 6 with 2281 viewskingsburyR

Would this type of trip suit a family holiday given my girls are 6 and 9?

Is there much beach access etc?

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 14:35 - Nov 6 with 2279 viewsRs_Holy

Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 13:10 - Nov 6 by SonofNorfolt

San Sebastian only has one downside, the price of property, it is the most expensive in Spain, otherwise I would move there tomorrow.
Instead, Gijon, two hundred miles away in Asturias, may be the more likely option.
Make sure you get a game in, both Bilbao and Sociedad are great clubs.

hotels are pricey enough ... views look great tho.
Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 15:14 - Nov 6 with 2252 viewsjoe90

I've been to both and they're excellent in different ways.

Bilbao is a proper city, lots to see, do and eat. However every time I've been the weather has been shat, but I think that's just the climate. The food is good and there's enough culture to keep you busy for a few days.

San Sebastian is more relaxed and has a few beaches. The food in the Old Town is absolutely fantastic, the pinchos is exquisite! We went to this Cider House: https://www.instagram.com/txirritasagardotegia/

If you want to save a few bob I'd recommend staying in one of the Pensions (they're hostels for people doing the Camino de Santiago walk) in the Old Town. I had a private room with my wife and it was unbelievably clean. There was some old biddy who kept the place clean, she never spoke or smiled, just grunted occasionally.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2019 15:21]
Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 15:59 - Nov 6 with 2221 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bilbao versus San Sebastian on 15:14 - Nov 6 by joe90

I've been to both and they're excellent in different ways.

Bilbao is a proper city, lots to see, do and eat. However every time I've been the weather has been shat, but I think that's just the climate. The food is good and there's enough culture to keep you busy for a few days.

San Sebastian is more relaxed and has a few beaches. The food in the Old Town is absolutely fantastic, the pinchos is exquisite! We went to this Cider House: https://www.instagram.com/txirritasagardotegia/

If you want to save a few bob I'd recommend staying in one of the Pensions (they're hostels for people doing the Camino de Santiago walk) in the Old Town. I had a private room with my wife and it was unbelievably clean. There was some old biddy who kept the place clean, she never spoke or smiled, just grunted occasionally.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2019 15:21]

Ah, you found my Mom then.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024