Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bali and Lombok 13:34 - Nov 6 with 2141 viewsSonofNorfolt

As the weather is turning cooler, and also to pi ss you all off, any recommendations for the above destinations? Should I stay in Bali or make my way for a couple of days to Lombok?
Bali and Lombok on 14:37 - Nov 6 with 2082 viewsDWQPR

Do both, Bali is a fantastic place, beautiful and full of wonderful people. Didn't get the chance for Lombok, but if you are going all that way then you may as well make the most of the chance to have a proper visit. Stayed down in Nusa Duya (I think that it is how it is spelt).

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Bali and Lombok on 16:13 - Nov 6 with 2026 views1MoreBrightonR

When I backpacked around south East Asia for 5.5 months, Lombok was one of my favourite places. If you get away from the big resorts, it's so undiscovered and off the beat and track. Incredible beaches too....it's completely different to Bali which is much more touristy. Also would recommend the Gili Islands for a bit of paradise
Bali and Lombok on 20:15 - Nov 6 with 1886 viewsChristchurchhoop

18 - 35 year olds tend to spend their time in the likes of Kuta, Legian and Seminyak. I am well north of 50 and prefer the quieter and less developed area's of Berawa and Canggu.
You will definitely need a scooter for Lombok as it is considerably less developed than Bali. Either island, you will have a great time.
Enjoy the Bintang.
Bali and Lombok on 21:14 - Nov 6 with 1845 viewsMoonshineSteve

This thread has pissed me off.

Bloody solicitors.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Bali and Lombok on 22:42 - Nov 6 with 1792 viewsCheshireR

Air Mirpati on a 1955 Hawker Sydley Twin Prop. One of the most "interesting" flights I have ever done. 1992 from Bali to Lombok. Both great places. Lombok totally unspoilt back then. I loved Lombok and a our trip to nearby Gili Air.You are one lucky chap.
Bali and Lombok on 23:13 - Nov 6 with 1777 viewsSydneyRs

Been to Bali many times and love it, Haven't managed Lombok yet but its supposed to be a more unspoilt version.

Bali really depends on where you stay. Kuta and Legian are cheap but also trashy and full of chavvy Australians, or bogans as they are known here. Lots of nightclubs and tacky souvenir shops and very built up/busy. That said a visit isn't bad and there's good banter to be had with the local street sellers.

Nusa Dua is separate and you can't drive there without going through a security check. All 5 star resorts and very peaceful. Its lovely to walk along the beach there at night with all the lanterns and restaurants. It was a big favourite of ours when the kids were little as you don't have the manic traffic of the busier areas. Its not unusual for scooters to be ridden along what passes for pavements in the busy areas. The kids can handle it now as they are older but not when we first started going.

Seminyak is also busy but less bogan than Kuta or Legian. It has decent cafes, restaurants and bars and plenty of shopping options. Canggu is not far from Seminyak and is quieter, an up and coming area with a good selection of cheap eating options.

Another option is Sanur which has a good beach and is not as full on as the busier spots. You can also take a trip to Lembongan island from Sanur. I highly recommend this for a couple of days, a lovely spot with superb views of the volcano on a clear day.

Ubud is a bit further up in the hills but also a cool area with good eating and shopping options. Also there are some spectacular rice terraces up there.

All the areas listed are within a reasonable distance from the airport, with Ubud being the longest drive.

The best thing about Bali is the people. They are brilliant.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2019 23:14]
Bali and Lombok on 00:53 - Nov 7 with 1729 viewsBoston

Ahh Bali, palm trees, girls, music, dancing, skirts and lots of Bob Hope...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Bali and Lombok on 10:53 - Nov 7 with 1618 viewsSonofNorfolt

Cheers lads.
Semiyak for a couple of days, then once I return from Oz and NZ, Lombok and the Gili Is
before coming home.
What game did you watch in '92 Cheshire?
Login to get fewer ads

Bali and Lombok on 10:58 - Nov 7 with 1612 viewsFDC

Lived in Asia for a couple of years and must admit I wasn't mad on Bali or the Gili Islands at all, felt very touristy. Maybe I was bit jaded whilst there or went to the wrong bits.
Bali and Lombok on 12:43 - Nov 7 with 1568 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Isn't Bali the Aussie equivalent of the Costa Brava?
Bali and Lombok on 17:37 - Nov 7 with 1507 viewsCheshireR

Bali and Lombok on 10:53 - Nov 7 by SonofNorfolt

Cheers lads.
Semiyak for a couple of days, then once I return from Oz and NZ, Lombok and the Gili Is
before coming home.
What game did you watch in '92 Cheshire?

On the way back from the Cricket World Cup in Australia.
Ex R Mark Dennis was part of a very early barmy army.
No football seen - a big mistake on my part
Bali and Lombok on 18:59 - Nov 7 with 1477 viewsenfieldargh

Bali and Lombok on 17:37 - Nov 7 by CheshireR

On the way back from the Cricket World Cup in Australia.
Ex R Mark Dennis was part of a very early barmy army.
No football seen - a big mistake on my part

My next must go to place is Hamilton Island, on the Whitsunday Islands(?)

Close to the Great Barrier reef.

One great beach area thats worth a visit is Boracay, Philippines with its White sands. Went there about 15 years ago, great beaches, great food, fantastic Pino banda playing live music up around the Boat stations.

A lot of South East Asian places now get packed out with Japs, South Koreans and Chinese, not a lot of difference to Europeans going to Ibiza.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Bali and Lombok on 19:02 - Nov 7 with 1472 views1MoreBrightonR

Bali and Lombok on 12:43 - Nov 7 by CroydonCaptJack

Kuta, the main resort is. Its awful. The rest not so much but it is pretty touristy but some bits appeal to the yoga crowd, some for the honeymooners, some areas are big with surfers and then others with aussies so its pretty varied. I wasnt a fan but most people love it. Lombok is (or was 8 years ago) way way less developed/spoilt.
Bali and Lombok on 19:31 - Nov 7 with 1464 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bali and Lombok on 18:59 - Nov 7 by enfieldargh

My next must go to place is Hamilton Island, on the Whitsunday Islands(?)

Close to the Great Barrier reef.

One great beach area thats worth a visit is Boracay, Philippines with its White sands. Went there about 15 years ago, great beaches, great food, fantastic Pino banda playing live music up around the Boat stations.

A lot of South East Asian places now get packed out with Japs, South Koreans and Chinese, not a lot of difference to Europeans going to Ibiza.

I think you’ll find Boracay has gone the way of many other former idylls I’m afraid. As for great food: I lived there for two years not too long ago and I’m not sure I could use the word ‘great’ when it comes to the local cuisine.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Bali and Lombok on 23:03 - Nov 7 with 1401 viewsBoston

How can you put down places for being touristy when you 'touristed' them?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Bali and Lombok on 23:56 - Nov 7 with 1383 viewstimcocking

Kuta is where most people stay, and all around there for miles is quite frankly pretty hideous. You wanna get yourself into the hinterland, up into the hills and mountains and into what's left of the jungle. Drove across the island on a bike with our lass once, remember stumbling on a derelict temple lost in the jungle, i've never felt more like Lara Croft. Nobody around apart from the ghosts, you could feel the spirits everywhere according to the missus who wouldn't go near the place, so cool.

Black sand beaches...never seen them before. Weird.
Bali and Lombok on 02:21 - Nov 8 with 1363 viewsSydneyRs

Bali and Lombok on 12:43 - Nov 7 by CroydonCaptJack

Kuta and Legian yes, anywhere else no.
Bali and Lombok on 02:22 - Nov 8 with 1362 viewsSydneyRs

Bali and Lombok on 23:56 - Nov 7 by timcocking

Kuta is where most people stay, and all around there for miles is quite frankly pretty hideous. You wanna get yourself into the hinterland, up into the hills and mountains and into what's left of the jungle. Drove across the island on a bike with our lass once, remember stumbling on a derelict temple lost in the jungle, i've never felt more like Lara Croft. Nobody around apart from the ghosts, you could feel the spirits everywhere according to the missus who wouldn't go near the place, so cool.

Black sand beaches...never seen them before. Weird.

Kuta is a shithole but there are many other options.
Bali and Lombok on 04:38 - Nov 8 with 1341 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bali and Lombok on 23:03 - Nov 7 by Boston

How can you put down places for being touristy when you 'touristed' them?

Responsible tourism would be one guess! And being fortunate to have gone places before they went to pot the other.

[Post edited 8 Nov 2019 6:21]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Bali and Lombok on 12:19 - Nov 8 with 1276 viewsTacticalR

Bali and Lombok on 10:58 - Nov 7 by FDC

Lived in Asia for a couple of years and must admit I wasn't mad on Bali or the Gili Islands at all, felt very touristy. Maybe I was bit jaded whilst there or went to the wrong bits.

Where in Asia did you live FDC?

Air hostess clique

Bali and Lombok on 23:24 - Nov 11 with 1149 viewsFDC

Bali and Lombok on 12:19 - Nov 8 by TacticalR

Where in Asia did you live FDC?

Sorry TR missed this originally. I lived in Hong Kong.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024