Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Misunderstanding as a child 20:25 - Nov 15 with 4674 viewsMiss_Terraces

What did you believe as a child, that was wrong? Preferably QPR but anything really.

1 I couldn't understand why it took so long, to get to Queens Park, when it was in the same town

2 I thought Dave Thomas the legendary winger and Dave Thomas the legendary fanzine editor were the same person. I still see DT as a QPR legend.

3 I thought football was supposed to be played on plastic. I'm showing my age there but still younger than most of you. I don't miss the plastic but I do miss the little fellas on the scoreboard celebrating the goal. I would be eternally grateful, if anybody could show me that again.

4 I thought the bushwhackers were QPR (slightly older, on that one). It's all about the Bush.

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Misunderstanding as a child on 21:35 - Nov 15 with 3918 viewsToast_R

When I was very young belived Division One was the lowest and Division 4 was the highest, makes sense right? We were taught to count upwards. Of course I believed the attention was only on Divion One teams on TV because the standard of Division 4 teams was too cool for skool.

I also thought that only half the Death Star was blown up in the first Star Wars movie and in ROTJ they blew up the second half. Mental eh?
Misunderstanding as a child on 21:49 - Nov 15 with 3902 viewsTacticalR

That superheroes lived in America.

Air hostess clique

Misunderstanding as a child on 22:24 - Nov 15 with 3872 viewsMoonshineSteve

My Dad played football, and liked QPR. I therefore told everyone my Dad played for QPR.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Misunderstanding as a child on 22:32 - Nov 15 with 3858 viewsDorse

That a gazebo was an animal that (presumably) lived in the swaying grasslands of the Serengeti plain.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Misunderstanding as a child on 22:38 - Nov 15 with 3854 viewsted_hendrix

My old Man told me when I was a nipper that when I grow up before going out on Sunday's I should always brush my hair and make sure my shoes were clean.
Of course as a nipper I didn't understand what he was on about, now I do.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Misunderstanding as a child on 15:35 - Nov 16 with 3693 viewsPinnerPaul

I honestly thought there a choirmaster in the crowd behind the loft who decided what songs should be sung and when!
Misunderstanding as a child on 16:05 - Nov 16 with 3664 viewsaston_hoop

I used to believe that when a game went to a replay, the players had to do exactly the same things again. I was trying so hard to understand how they remembered everything to replay it. I hadn't really considered the reasoning behind that

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Misunderstanding as a child on 19:24 - Nov 16 with 3552 viewsloftboy

Before I went to my first “live”game, I asked my brother if the crowd could hear the commentator.
The same brother also told me that little men with guitars climbed into the radio during the nigh and that’s how radios worked.
When I was old enough to know better my mates convinced me you could see the Eiffel Tower from a hill in Newbury!!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Misunderstanding as a child on 19:41 - Nov 16 with 3544 viewsPunteR

That Terry fenwick will always be captain.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Misunderstanding as a child on 21:04 - Nov 16 with 3495 viewsE17hoop

Misunderstanding as a child on 19:24 - Nov 16 by loftboy

Before I went to my first “live”game, I asked my brother if the crowd could hear the commentator.
The same brother also told me that little men with guitars climbed into the radio during the nigh and that’s how radios worked.
When I was old enough to know better my mates convinced me you could see the Eiffel Tower from a hill in Newbury!!

In a similar vein, I thought the artists were at the radio studio and played the songs when they were due.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Misunderstanding as a child on 08:59 - Nov 17 with 3415 viewsWoodlaneR

I always thought Wimbledons home ground was Wembley. Not because I'd seen the 88 Cup final.... Just because they sound kind of similar I guess.
Years later my mate told me he used to think the same thing!
Misunderstanding as a child on 18:51 - Nov 17 with 3263 viewsslmrstid

I have several:-

1. When I first started going to QPR at 8/9 years old I always assumed any team with a foreign player in it (even in the late 90s these were a rarity outside the top flight, or so it seemed...) that they must be brilliant and would be terrified of them everytime they got the ball, because foreign players were always brilliant right?

Only when I got a bit older did I realise that foreign players are every bit as useless as our fine, useless, British lads. Especially second/third tier foreign players.

2. My very first game was Rushden & Diamonds v Purfleet in an FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round replay in 1995 (two teams that don't exist anymore, or certainly not the same entities anyway given both have reformed/renamed) My dad went to get a programme and I thought you got a video tape. I also couldn't understand why the two teams were wearing 1-11 and not squad numbers and names on the back, and as referenced elsewhere in this thread, couldn't understand why there was no commentator either!
Misunderstanding as a child on 19:29 - Nov 17 with 3236 viewspaulparker

Misunderstanding as a child on 19:24 - Nov 16 by loftboy

SNAP !!!!

I thought there was something wrong when I couldn’t hear Brian Moore at my first game

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Misunderstanding as a child on 19:47 - Nov 17 with 3227 viewsdezzar

As Bobby Charlton played for Man U and England i thought you could play for two teams , ie spurs and norwich
Misunderstanding as a child on 19:54 - Nov 17 with 3218 viewsEsox_Lucius

In my first game QPR beat the England World Cup team 5-2 (Tony Ingham testimonial), in y first season we pissed the third division title by a mile and we won the first ever League Cup to be won at Wembley. I just naturally thought I had about 50+ years of the same ahead of me as we would win everything.

The grass is always greener.

Misunderstanding as a child on 22:36 - Nov 17 with 3163 viewsLoftgirl

At my first game in 1968, I expect to see replays of the goals. Not sure how I thought this was going to happen though.
Misunderstanding as a child on 09:08 - Nov 18 with 3053 viewsMick_S

Misunderstanding as a child on 22:36 - Nov 17 by Loftgirl

At my first game in 1968, I expect to see replays of the goals. Not sure how I thought this was going to happen though.

I've experienced that many times - should have worked it out after the first time!

I also thought that people in the tv could see into our front room.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2019 9:09]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Misunderstanding as a child on 09:28 - Nov 18 with 3026 viewsTonto

I thought the reason that the players warmed up was to make them as tired as the players already on the pitch to make it fair/even

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Misunderstanding as a child on 09:33 - Nov 18 with 3023 viewsCroydonCaptJack

My favourite is from my son who genuinely believed the world was in black and white in the old days.
Misunderstanding as a child on 16:53 - Nov 18 with 2925 viewsstowmarketrange

Misunderstanding as a child on 18:51 - Nov 17 by slmrstid

I have several:-

1. When I first started going to QPR at 8/9 years old I always assumed any team with a foreign player in it (even in the late 90s these were a rarity outside the top flight, or so it seemed...) that they must be brilliant and would be terrified of them everytime they got the ball, because foreign players were always brilliant right?

Only when I got a bit older did I realise that foreign players are every bit as useless as our fine, useless, British lads. Especially second/third tier foreign players.

2. My very first game was Rushden & Diamonds v Purfleet in an FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round replay in 1995 (two teams that don't exist anymore, or certainly not the same entities anyway given both have reformed/renamed) My dad went to get a programme and I thought you got a video tape. I also couldn't understand why the two teams were wearing 1-11 and not squad numbers and names on the back, and as referenced elsewhere in this thread, couldn't understand why there was no commentator either!

A few seasons ago Rushden and diamonds were in the conference with Dagenham and Redbridge and sky news put the score up as R&D v D&R.
Although both teams should have also had an I in their names after Irthlingborough for Rushden and Ilford for Dagenham.
Misunderstanding as a child on 16:57 - Nov 18 with 2921 viewsslmrstid

Misunderstanding as a child on 16:53 - Nov 18 by stowmarketrange

A few seasons ago Rushden and diamonds were in the conference with Dagenham and Redbridge and sky news put the score up as R&D v D&R.
Although both teams should have also had an I in their names after Irthlingborough for Rushden and Ilford for Dagenham.

And amusingly fans of Northampton Town and Kettering Town used to refer to the "R&D" as "Rubbish & Dustbins"!

I wonder if Dagenham's rivals called them "Dustbins & Rubbish"...?
Misunderstanding as a child on 17:55 - Nov 18 with 2869 viewssmegma

I never understood how Mike England of Spurs could play for Wales
Misunderstanding as a child on 17:56 - Nov 18 with 2865 viewsrobith

I thought it was the Golf War. Everyone was mad cos Saddam had cheated at a matchplay tournament
Misunderstanding as a child on 22:31 - Nov 18 with 2792 viewsPommyhoop

Misunderstanding as a child on 17:56 - Nov 18 by robith

I thought it was the Golf War. Everyone was mad cos Saddam had cheated at a matchplay tournament

That the Tsunami that wrecked SE Asia 2004, was hordes of Newcastle fans on the rampage.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Misunderstanding as a child on 06:44 - Nov 19 with 2747 viewsDubaiR

Born in Manchester, first game aged 2 with my Dad, season ticket aged 4. Till about the age of 8 I honestly thought we were a Manchester based club.

The journey never seemed that long.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024