Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your first Mobile phone and PC ? 23:50 - Nov 17 with 3682 views2Thomas2Bowles

Phone Mercury one2one M301 1994 cost £250 the great thing back in the day was free calls after 7pm
I think I had it when it was just Mercury Com

PC built your own about 1994/5, Windows 3.1 Pentium 166MHz / Dos 6, some stupid low Mb HD, and floppy discs, Doom and Sam and Max game
[Post edited 18 Nov 2019 7:28]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 00:02 - Nov 18 with 3039 viewsJuzzie

First phone 1996 was an Ericsson PH337. People called me when I sent them a text message as they had no idea how to reply or even what the notion of a text message was.

First PC was by MESH, 1999. Spec was something like a 350MHz intel pentium (II or III) hard drive was around 500Mb, graphics card about 16Mb and RAM about 4Mb. The tablet I’m typing this from is about a zillion times better than that.

[Post edited 18 Nov 2019 0:06]
Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 08:30 - Nov 18 with 2960 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Though my first computer was this.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 09:29 - Nov 18 with 2934 viewsenfieldargh

Still got my mercury, showed it to my kids a few years back, they were in hysterics.

I've got a feeling the mrs still uses the phone number we originally had with it !!

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 09:33 - Nov 18 with 2932 viewsWrightUp5hit___

First mobile was a work phone in 1994 a Nokia 2110.

First pc was in 1987 a Sanyo mbc-775, luggable. 2x 5 1/4" floppy discs and an 8088-2 chip. 9" crt monitor. Ran Wordstar and Calcstar from the Sorcim corporation, forerunner of Microsoft.
Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 09:35 - Nov 18 with 2927 viewsEsox_Lucius

First phone was an Ericsson T10s and my first computer was a BBC B 32K

The grass is always greener.

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 11:34 - Nov 18 with 2886 views2Thomas2Bowles

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 09:29 - Nov 18 by enfieldargh

Still got my mercury, showed it to my kids a few years back, they were in hysterics.

I've got a feeling the mrs still uses the phone number we originally had with it !!

When T-mobile took over they tried to stop the free calls offering all sorts of contracts, as long as you paid your bill they could do nothing about it.

They ended up being sold for a lot of money, I remember some going for over £1000

That Brick phone guy on youtube shows you how you can get it to still work.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2019 11:38]

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 11:36 - Nov 18 with 2882 viewshubble

I had some form of Nokia in 1996, and what I liked most about it was (correct me if I'm wrong) that it was analogue, and listening to someone was a completely different experience (i.e. warm and full sounding) compared to later digital phones (harsh sound).
Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 11:58 - Nov 18 with 2860 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 11:36 - Nov 18 by hubble

I had some form of Nokia in 1996, and what I liked most about it was (correct me if I'm wrong) that it was analogue, and listening to someone was a completely different experience (i.e. warm and full sounding) compared to later digital phones (harsh sound).

It's that old Analogue versus digital argument Hud

Login to get fewer ads

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 12:54 - Nov 18 with 2809 viewshubble

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 11:58 - Nov 18 by CroydonCaptJack

It's that old Analogue versus digital argument Hud

And I'm on the side of analogue!
Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 12:56 - Nov 18 with 2807 viewsTonto

First phone was a Motorola Flare (also on Mercury 1-2-1): I still have the same number

First computer was an Acorn Electron. the poor mans version of the BBC B

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 13:00 - Nov 18 with 2804 viewsLongsufferingR

Never had a mobile.
Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 13:49 - Nov 18 with 2738 viewsR_from_afar

My first mobile was my old work mobile, a Nokia 5110, which I took with me (by mutual agreement) when I left a company in 2005. I used it until it was so decrepit that bits were literally falling off and it could only be switched off with a pen. That was in 2013 - it had a good, long life! I then bought my current 'phone, a Samsung Galaxy Ace, with is still my main 'phone and which has just had its sixth birthday. I refuse to get another until it breaks and in fact, I recently pimped it by getting a snazzy new, bright blue, cover.

My first microcomputer - as PCs should correctly be called (wooo ooo, lifts handbag) - was a Tiny desktop. I used it for 12 years until the operating system was no longer supported, at which point (7 years ago) we bought the laptop we still currently use.

I really can't be bothered constantly upgrading gadgets and in any case, that is terrible from an environmental perspective, so there you go. Oh, and my mobile is still on pay as you go

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 14:24 - Nov 18 with 2718 viewsMick_S

When my wife upgrades her phone she passes the old one over to me. They are bastar'd things, every single one of them.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 14:27 - Nov 18 with 2709 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 13:49 - Nov 18 by R_from_afar

My first mobile was my old work mobile, a Nokia 5110, which I took with me (by mutual agreement) when I left a company in 2005. I used it until it was so decrepit that bits were literally falling off and it could only be switched off with a pen. That was in 2013 - it had a good, long life! I then bought my current 'phone, a Samsung Galaxy Ace, with is still my main 'phone and which has just had its sixth birthday. I refuse to get another until it breaks and in fact, I recently pimped it by getting a snazzy new, bright blue, cover.

My first microcomputer - as PCs should correctly be called (wooo ooo, lifts handbag) - was a Tiny desktop. I used it for 12 years until the operating system was no longer supported, at which point (7 years ago) we bought the laptop we still currently use.

I really can't be bothered constantly upgrading gadgets and in any case, that is terrible from an environmental perspective, so there you go. Oh, and my mobile is still on pay as you go

Forgive the pun but Tiny were massive weren't they!
Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 09:01 - Nov 19 with 2545 viewsSydneyRs

Nokia 3110 around 97. Was a lot smaller than the bricks most people had at the time. My brother was working for Vodafone and gave me the tip to get the 3110 which I think wasn't yet widely available.

We had a Vic 20 computer back in the day before upgrading to a Commodore 64.
Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 09:14 - Nov 19 with 2536 viewsBlackCrowe

must've been around '95 for first phone, a Nokia. I was selling ad space at the time for nursing titles and gave a prominent page of advertising to some mobile phone sales outfit for next to nothing in return for a free phone and a memorable phone number which is the one i still have today (the number that is).

First pc was an Amstrad word processor, around '85.

hope this helps.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 10:47 - Nov 19 with 2497 views2Thomas2Bowles

That £250 I paid, today is around £490

When you think you can get a £10 phone today that is better in just about every way and a £500 one that is a mini-computer ( I wound not pay more than £100, I did recently)

There is a website that shows what the web was like in the 90's.....
http://theoldnet.com
[Post edited 19 Nov 2019 10:47]

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 10:49 - Nov 19 with 2492 viewsMrSheen

My first mobile was the classic Nokia 3210, no pokey aerial. Went for about a week on one charge, mainly because I was so afraid of charges I never used it. When my kids went to the Reading festival five years ago and we wanted a way to keep in touch, we dug it out and it still worked. Great piece of kit.

My first home PC was from Gateway, but I used to have work Compaqs for about a decade before. Started about the size and weight of a sewing machine, with a 5” black and green screen.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2019 10:52]
Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 11:01 - Nov 19 with 2470 viewsLunarJetman

Motorola Graphite around 1996-97 and then a Nokia 5110.

First computer was built my me and a mate around the same time, 1996-97. Had an AMD K6-2 processor. (can't remember exactly which one) I remember driving to a computer shop in Guildford to buy 64Mb memory chip that cost £64!

Arguably though I had a Spectrum 48k first in 1984

which my dad upgraded to a plus with a kit ordered from Sinclair

Then I had a plus 3

And then an Amiga!

(sorry, got a bit carried away there...)
[Post edited 19 Nov 2019 11:03]
Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 11:44 - Nov 19 with 2441 viewsMrSheen

Who else wouldn't buy stuff because of who they sponsored? (Commodore, Samsung, LG...)
Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 13:14 - Nov 19 with 2406 viewsR_from_afar

I struggled on with dial-up internet accesss for way longer than was practical. At one point, my computer was afflicted by some horrendous vulnerability but my internet access was so slow that I could never download and install the Microsoft patches before the gremlins killed my machine yet again.

In the end, the way I got round it was for my brother to download the patches onto a CD-ROM and me to install them offline. It worked and I was able to carry on surfing like a cheapskate for a bit longer LOL

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 13:29 - Nov 19 with 2394 viewsenfieldargh

I've got my Nokia 6210e in my hand as I type.

This was my best ever phone and it still charges up.

None of your ruddy social media rubbish, poxy cameras etc, just does what it says on tin

captains fantastic

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 13:32 - Nov 19 with 2392 viewsLunarJetman

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 11:44 - Nov 19 by MrSheen

Who else wouldn't buy stuff because of who they sponsored? (Commodore, Samsung, LG...)

I wouldn't buy Samsung products whilst they sponsored that lot...
Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 13:39 - Nov 19 with 2386 viewsenfieldargh

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 13:32 - Nov 19 by LunarJetman

I wouldn't buy Samsung products whilst they sponsored that lot...

He's right you know

captains fantastic

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 13:44 - Nov 19 with 2380 viewsLunarJetman

Your first Mobile phone and PC ? on 13:14 - Nov 19 by R_from_afar

I struggled on with dial-up internet accesss for way longer than was practical. At one point, my computer was afflicted by some horrendous vulnerability but my internet access was so slow that I could never download and install the Microsoft patches before the gremlins killed my machine yet again.

In the end, the way I got round it was for my brother to download the patches onto a CD-ROM and me to install them offline. It worked and I was able to carry on surfing like a cheapskate for a bit longer LOL

We used to have Videotron cable TV when I was still at home. We also took the phone deal with them so we had a landline that offered free calls to any other Videotron customers.

In those days you paid an internet provider a fee to use their service plus you then had to pay for the calls you made on the phone to them so having internet was quite expensive.

I found out that an internet provider, Dircon who offered their dial up service that was free but you paid for the calls, but crucially they had an an alternative line from the usual 0845 numbers that was a local Videotron line. So I got this which meant that we had free calls to dial up internet long before this was a thing.

Even when Videotron (they may have become Cable and Wireless by this time) said they were going to charge £10 a month for unlimited calls to business lines it still meant unlimited internet access for £10!

It was a long time before it became financially worth switching to another provider!

As an aside, C&W eventually got bought out by NTL who my brother used for cable TV in the flat he rented with a mate. The cable TV box had a boot up display that said NLT which pretty much summed up the competency of their service....
[Post edited 19 Nov 2019 13:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024