Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
smithies 20:20 - Nov 26 with 2437 viewscpgerber

on the bench again tonight. Surely there must be a chance of us prying him away? Would he want to come?? Can we afford him?
smithies on 20:28 - Nov 26 with 2404 viewsflynnbo

Can he pass it out from the back, can't recall? I know he's excellent at one on ones and penalty saves. On second thoughts, yeah, let's get him in!!!
smithies on 20:53 - Nov 26 with 2359 viewsQPR_Jim

smithies on 20:28 - Nov 26 by flynnbo

Can he pass it out from the back, can't recall? I know he's excellent at one on ones and penalty saves. On second thoughts, yeah, let's get him in!!!

He worked on his kicking until it improved so I'd trust him to work on playing out from the back with the same determination. Love him back but I can't see it.
smithies on 20:56 - Nov 26 with 2350 viewscolinallcars

I imagine wages would be the sticking point.
smithies (n/t) on 21:57 - Nov 26 with 2223 viewsNed_Kennedys

Not been a good transfer for him in terms of playing: the money would be better but I doubt he's on loads more than we were paying him.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 21:58]
smithies (n/t) on 22:45 - Nov 26 with 2110 viewsbosh67

smithies (n/t) on 21:57 - Nov 26 by Ned_Kennedys

Not been a good transfer for him in terms of playing: the money would be better but I doubt he's on loads more than we were paying him.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 21:58]

As much as I loved Smithies he would be on a lot more on the bench than he would be in goal here.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

smithies on 00:01 - Nov 27 with 2020 viewsdaveB

wages would be a big problem but crazy to think the club were slated for getting 3/4 million for him a year ago and now we are talking about getting him back for peanuts
smithies on 03:36 - Nov 27 with 1946 viewsHitch

smithies on 20:56 - Nov 26 by colinallcars

if his wages are an issue, then don't pay the bastard
smithies on 07:50 - Nov 27 with 1809 viewsDejR_vu

smithies on 00:01 - Nov 27 by daveB

wages would be a big problem but crazy to think the club were slated for getting 3/4 million for him a year ago and now we are talking about getting him back for peanuts

I think it was £1.5m wasn’t it? And talking about coming back for peanuts, if that’s what’s happening, doesn’t make it happen unfortunately.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Login to get fewer ads

smithies on 08:09 - Nov 27 with 1792 viewsqueensparker

This team would be really going places with Smithies in goal. So frustrating that we're just a couple of players short.

If Evil Les could also arrange to make Richard Dunne ten years younger and buy him back as well that would be great.
smithies on 08:40 - Nov 27 with 1732 viewsnix

smithies on 08:09 - Nov 27 by queensparker

This team would be really going places with Smithies in goal. So frustrating that we're just a couple of players short.

If Evil Les could also arrange to make Richard Dunne ten years younger and buy him back as well that would be great.

Couldn't agree more. Richard Dunne was magnificent for us. And just what this team needs. But do players like that exist any more? Aren't they just in China/US or sitting on the massive bench at Man City or Chelsea until their career ends?
smithies on 09:18 - Nov 27 with 1671 viewsfrancisbowles

smithies on 08:09 - Nov 27 by queensparker

Dunne? Really, in this team? Do you think he would be in control playing out from the back? I seem to remember when Redknapp tried to play with wingbacks and a back three that Dunne was very uncomfortable.

Great old fashioned defender, head it kick it!
smithies on 10:37 - Nov 27 with 1589 viewsAntti_Heinola

smithies on 07:50 - Nov 27 by DejR_vu

I think it was £1.5m wasn’t it? And talking about coming back for peanuts, if that’s what’s happening, doesn’t make it happen unfortunately.

Well, would depend on his contract. He's 2 and a bit years into it, and it runs out in summer 2022. Cardiff may fancy cutting their losses - they're unlikely to go up this season, and they can't afford to have two keepers on good money in the squad. So, they *may* be willing to do a deal, and Smithies *may* be willing to do a deal where he gets a pay off and joins for less money. It's not beyond the realms of impossibility.

The deal was closer to £4m, according to WalesOnline, but a section of our fans went mental and somehow that's been downgraded over the years to £1.5m.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/alex-smithies-signs-c

Bare bones.

smithies on 11:11 - Nov 27 with 1519 viewsfrancisbowles

smithies on 10:37 - Nov 27 by Antti_Heinola

Well, would depend on his contract. He's 2 and a bit years into it, and it runs out in summer 2022. Cardiff may fancy cutting their losses - they're unlikely to go up this season, and they can't afford to have two keepers on good money in the squad. So, they *may* be willing to do a deal, and Smithies *may* be willing to do a deal where he gets a pay off and joins for less money. It's not beyond the realms of impossibility.

The deal was closer to £4m, according to WalesOnline, but a section of our fans went mental and somehow that's been downgraded over the years to £1.5m.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/alex-smithies-signs-c

I wasn't criticising the fee at the time or now but that report says Including add ons and, with his limited appearances, I doubt any of those will have been triggered.
smithies on 11:36 - Nov 27 with 1462 viewsBuckR

Would love it to happen but just cant see Warburton admitting defeat on the goalies unfortunately (I do really like MW for the record)
smithies on 13:03 - Nov 27 with 1365 viewsrunningman75

Not needed we have an abundance of keepers, Dieng on loan and a decent under 21 years old goalkeeper. Sadly Lumley is getting the treatment Ingram got last season. Ingram went from being a decent prospect to someone who became like a rabbit in the headlights when the ball came near him and has disappeared to the obscurity of Hull reserves. R's fans have no patience with goalkeepers.
smithies on 13:09 - Nov 27 with 1344 viewsNed_Kennedys

smithies on 13:03 - Nov 27 by runningman75

Not needed we have an abundance of keepers, Dieng on loan and a decent under 21 years old goalkeeper. Sadly Lumley is getting the treatment Ingram got last season. Ingram went from being a decent prospect to someone who became like a rabbit in the headlights when the ball came near him and has disappeared to the obscurity of Hull reserves. R's fans have no patience with goalkeepers.

Lumley has been given ten times the opportunity that Ingram was given and he is still making the same mistakes time and again. How much longer do you want to give him then?
smithies on 13:19 - Nov 27 with 1316 viewsJAPRANGERS

smithies on 20:56 - Nov 26 by colinallcars

We can pay a fiver and bag of salt 'n' vinegar flavour crisps a week, would that be enough for our Smithies??
smithies on 13:39 - Nov 27 with 1278 viewsPinnerPaul

https://www.bing.com/search?q=money+money+money+abba&form=EDNTHT&mkt=en-gb&https
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024