Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kane - a real weak link 08:11 - Nov 28 with 4027 viewsLofthope

I am quite surprised how little criticism Kane gets...I think he's one of our main problems. Most of the time, when going forward, as soon as an opposition player is in front of him he passes backwards....this is one reason I think that our passing from the back doesn't work (along with the fact that all of our opponents have worked out that if you flood the space between our defence and midfield then we don't have any options and don't know what to do with the ball).
In fairness, once or twice in a game Kane gets a head of speed and whacks in a good cross, but these moments are far outweighed by the negatives.
Kane was at fault in three of the Forest goals, he didn't challenge for the first; slightly impeded? Yes, but defenders need to be tougher than that. He gave the winger too much space for the cross in goal two, and was standing watching as Forest players queued up for number four (not the only guilty party to be fair).
The morale is sapping out of the team and we have lost any momentum going forward because we have been found out when passing from the back. Having a wing back that is shy of taking on opposition players and can't position and challenge particularly well when defending is a liability in my view.
Kane - a real weak link on 08:29 - Nov 28 with 3962 viewsTheChef

OK I'll bite.

I think we have a squad of players who are largely good going forward but less able at the defending side. Kane has come back in and done some good things offensively, setting up Hugill at Fulham and last night providing an excellent run and cross that Scowen should have buried to get us an equaliser and a lifeline in the game.

Rather than singling out players because as usual us fans always need a scapegoat, for me the main issue last night was for maybe the first time, Warburton not having the courage of his convictions and having a slightly more defensive starting XI. Which seemed harsh on Hugill; because once he came on we looked a lot better up top, even with a man down.

Once the second goal went in, the rest was not entirely surprising. Forest have splashed the cash, look a very decent unit and should make the play offs at the very least. We are now in a more realistic position in the table, having far exceeded expectations. We just need to tough out the next few weeks, hopefully get a lucky break here or there and see what we can do in January to bolster the back line.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Kane - a real weak link on 08:37 - Nov 28 with 3939 viewsPinnerPaul

I thought Kane was pretty good - albeit against a low bar from the rest last night.

Manning on the other hand was awful - far and away his worse game of the season.
Kane - a real weak link on 08:58 - Nov 28 with 3899 viewssmegma

Kane - a real weak link on 08:37 - Nov 28 by PinnerPaul

I thought Kane was pretty good - albeit against a low bar from the rest last night.

Manning on the other hand was awful - far and away his worse game of the season.

Kane was very poor as well as Manning. Look at the second goal. Ameobi doesn't even get out of second gear as he ambled along the touch line and left Kane yards behind. Crosses to the far post and the whole defence are AWOL.
I raved about Kane in his first game for the u23 away to Fulham preseason. We smashed them 5-1 and he looked really good. Never been more wrong since I saw Christer Warren for the first time away to Colchester one afternoon.

I think there's a good player in Kane somewhere, we just need to locate him.
Kane - a real weak link on 09:03 - Nov 28 with 3880 viewsCamberleyR

Kane - a real weak link on 08:58 - Nov 28 by smegma

Kane was very poor as well as Manning. Look at the second goal. Ameobi doesn't even get out of second gear as he ambled along the touch line and left Kane yards behind. Crosses to the far post and the whole defence are AWOL.
I raved about Kane in his first game for the u23 away to Fulham preseason. We smashed them 5-1 and he looked really good. Never been more wrong since I saw Christer Warren for the first time away to Colchester one afternoon.

I think there's a good player in Kane somewhere, we just need to locate him.

Agree, there is a player in there. He was plenty good enough last season to play 39 of 46 league games for Hull who finished just below mid table.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Kane - a real weak link on 09:13 - Nov 28 with 3849 viewsLofthope

Kane - a real weak link on 08:37 - Nov 28 by PinnerPaul

Strange how we see things differently.....I was at home watching this on TV (I am a season ticket holder but was ill). On the way home from games I speak to people who sit elsewhere in the ground and we (sometimes) sound as though we have been at different games!
I think Kane gets away with it because he's relatively anonymous a lot of the time, particularly as he has an aversion to taking on opposition players, but he gets remembered for the odd good cross.
Manning was actually quite productive but spoiled it with bad crosses and shots. In fact at half time the Sky commentary team described the whole first half as 'The Ryan Manning show', intimating that he was the best player on the pitch. I think he wasn't as good in the second half, but what it says to me is that if you try and fail, people notice the failure, but do nothing and there are no negatives.
But look at Forest goals 1,2 and 3, Kane is a weak link.
Kane - a real weak link on 11:35 - Nov 28 with 3678 viewsjoe90

We shouldn't single out one player, but I do agree for the majority of the games played Kane has been really poor. He's shown some promise, and definitely played better against Fulham and Forest.

The whole team deserves some criticism, we can't put this bad run down to one or two players!

The team looks good for 20 or so minutes during games but then there seems to be a total collapse and we concede 3 in 10 minutes!
Kane - a real weak link on 11:43 - Nov 28 with 3659 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Kane had a poor one last night but I like him. He was on a good run of form heading into last night and looked to have settled in after the transfer and injury but has to take some of the blame for the first two goals.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Kane - a real weak link on 11:45 - Nov 28 with 3648 viewsPetros

I'm a huge Manning fan - he was unusually imprecise yesterday but I think he was trying to whip the ball early, and low and hard, because of our lack of height in the first half, and those crosses are always high risk.
I continue to think he could be great in a central midfield which lacks guile, good passing, vision and knowingness, all of which he has in abundance.
Login to get fewer ads

Kane - a real weak link on 11:49 - Nov 28 with 3631 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Kane - a real weak link on 11:45 - Nov 28 by Petros

I'm a huge Manning fan - he was unusually imprecise yesterday but I think he was trying to whip the ball early, and low and hard, because of our lack of height in the first half, and those crosses are always high risk.
I continue to think he could be great in a central midfield which lacks guile, good passing, vision and knowingness, all of which he has in abundance.

I think Manning is going through a sticky patch, and opposing teams are clearly targeting him - maybe because they see something they can exploit in his tackling and/or positioning, maybe because they want to keep him further back the field as he is a danger in the oppo half.

I don't see a central midfielder in Manning yet but it might be time to try it.

Kane - a real weak link on 11:54 - Nov 28 with 3617 viewsbosh67

Kane - a real weak link on 11:49 - Nov 28 by BrianMcCarthy

I think Manning is going through a sticky patch, and opposing teams are clearly targeting him - maybe because they see something they can exploit in his tackling and/or positioning, maybe because they want to keep him further back the field as he is a danger in the oppo half.

I don't see a central midfielder in Manning yet but it might be time to try it.

For me central midfield is Manning's best position. When he first came into the team a few years ago he played a few cameos as a forward running central midfielder. He is good at getting balls into channels for forwards.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Kane - a real weak link on 12:09 - Nov 28 with 3571 viewsPetros

It may not work - but something has to change. Our midfield is not connecting with the attack. Amos and Chair barely got involved at all. Scowen and Ball cant really pass, other than to shift the ball sideways and not in a good Ray Wilkins way, but ponderously and predictably. NOne of them can take players on. Eze also can't really get into positions where he can hurt teams. I would love to see that first half hour against Luton again. Seems like a distant memory (although first half hour v Fulham was not half bad).
Kane - a real weak link on 13:05 - Nov 28 with 3494 viewsdaveB

I thought Kane was the only one who can walk off saying he played OK last night
Kane - a real weak link on 13:08 - Nov 28 with 3478 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Generally, I can't remember the last time we were so divided as a group about who played ok and who didn't.

Kane - a real weak link on 13:52 - Nov 28 with 3415 viewsTheChef

Kane - a real weak link on 13:08 - Nov 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Generally, I can't remember the last time we were so divided as a group about who played ok and who didn't.

I really hate it when we can't all agree on one player to blame.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Kane - a real weak link on 14:04 - Nov 28 with 3383 viewsPinnerPaul

Kane - a real weak link on 09:13 - Nov 28 by Lofthope

Strange how we see things differently.....I was at home watching this on TV (I am a season ticket holder but was ill). On the way home from games I speak to people who sit elsewhere in the ground and we (sometimes) sound as though we have been at different games!
I think Kane gets away with it because he's relatively anonymous a lot of the time, particularly as he has an aversion to taking on opposition players, but he gets remembered for the odd good cross.
Manning was actually quite productive but spoiled it with bad crosses and shots. In fact at half time the Sky commentary team described the whole first half as 'The Ryan Manning show', intimating that he was the best player on the pitch. I think he wasn't as good in the second half, but what it says to me is that if you try and fail, people notice the failure, but do nothing and there are no negatives.
But look at Forest goals 1,2 and 3, Kane is a weak link.

No way in a million years was Manning the best player on the pitch - blimey!

Crosses into the crowd, miscontrolling the ball, passing into touch and to Forest players

What game WERE they watching?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kane - a real weak link on 14:05 - Nov 28 with 3377 viewsPinnerPaul

Kane - a real weak link on 13:05 - Nov 28 by daveB

I thought Kane was the only one who can walk off saying he played OK last night

that's what me and Mrs PP thought as well!
Kane - a real weak link on 14:11 - Nov 28 with 3357 viewsNorthernr

Nobody was great but I didn't see Kane as a particular problem, manning on the other side had a weird nightmare. Kane MOTM at Fulham on Friday for me.
Kane - a real weak link on 14:19 - Nov 28 with 3334 viewsqprd

Kane - a real weak link on 14:11 - Nov 28 by Northernr

Nobody was great but I didn't see Kane as a particular problem, manning on the other side had a weird nightmare. Kane MOTM at Fulham on Friday for me.

Kane's tendency to one touch pass (often errantly) in his defensive half does my head in

otherwise, he's really no worse than anyone else (other than the mare he had when he came on against reading)
Kane - a real weak link on 09:09 - Nov 29 with 3077 viewsgazza1

Kane is ........basically inconsistent.

We had a LB last season that played week in and week out, got 6 or 7 most weeks and a 8 sometimes. I dont know but I would suggest that he was a well respected team player by fellow team mates. Supporters didnt rate him because he did not do lots of 'big things'. Personally, I like consistency which is what we dont have with many of our current players.
Kane - a real weak link on 09:25 - Nov 29 with 3056 viewsWestbourneR

Kane looked like the only player with any kind of fizz about him to me. He's technically not the best but bundles of energy and runs good lines.

The rest of the team was scarily FLAT.

What I'd give for Luongo in the engine room.

Also Eze has to do more than that.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Kane - a real weak link on 11:26 - Nov 29 with 3002 viewsdavman

The bizarre thing on Wednesday for me was that both wing backs, but especially Kane were isolated. The pattern of play Lumley => Leistner => Wallace (yawn) => Manning => Wallace => Leistner (zzzz) => Hall => Leistner => Hall => Lumley => Leistner => Wallace => Hall => Ball => Lumley => Leistner (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) => Hall => Kane (and repeat...)

ended up with Kane getting the ball and no-one in front of him for 40-50 yards. The front 4/5 were so, so narrow. No out ball down the line, Florist compact in the middle meant either a launch into the Florist man mountains v Wells, a cross field pass, or, yep, you guessed it, a pass back into the pattern outlined above.

There was so little movement in front of him that his options were all but exhausted.

Manning was well off Weds night; Kane less so.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Kane - a real weak link on 12:11 - Nov 29 with 2972 viewsParkRoyalR

Kane - a real weak link on 09:09 - Nov 29 by gazza1

Kane is ........basically inconsistent.

We had a LB last season that played week in and week out, got 6 or 7 most weeks and a 8 sometimes. I dont know but I would suggest that he was a well respected team player by fellow team mates. Supporters didnt rate him because he did not do lots of 'big things'. Personally, I like consistency which is what we dont have with many of our current players.

LB last season defended very narrow so as not to be exposed for pace and allowed crosses into the box for fun.

Only difference was last season we had a Centre Back who had awareness and more often than not was able to intercept and clear.

This season, any ball into the box from anywhere, could find a Centre Forward in 10 yards of space on the penalty spot or in the six yard box (as per Brentford, Fulham and Forest twice).

I struggle to see how you can coach this awareness into players and think MB is waiting for the Transfer Window to fix.
Kane - a real weak link on 14:05 - Nov 30 with 2785 viewsfrancisbowles

Kane - a real weak link on 12:11 - Nov 29 by ParkRoyalR

LB last season defended very narrow so as not to be exposed for pace and allowed crosses into the box for fun.

Only difference was last season we had a Centre Back who had awareness and more often than not was able to intercept and clear.

This season, any ball into the box from anywhere, could find a Centre Forward in 10 yards of space on the penalty spot or in the six yard box (as per Brentford, Fulham and Forest twice).

I struggle to see how you can coach this awareness into players and think MB is waiting for the Transfer Window to fix.

.... 'last season we had a Centre Back who had awareness and more often than not was able to intercept and clear.'

Who was that, Lynch?
Kane - a real weak link on 20:25 - Nov 30 with 2632 viewsCaptainPugwash

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

Good crosser o' a ball...
Kane - a real weak link on 13:17 - Dec 1 with 2333 viewsBklynRanger

I think he's started to improve recently in fact - bit more confidence, more purposeful with his runs and, thank god, less passes going astray - with some exceptions.

The problem on both sides seems to be that when things break down he and Ryan are both left up the pitch with invariably faster players running at slow central defenders. There's less room for error than a normal right wing / right mid position would enjoy because there's less cover behind.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024