Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good Management 17:06 - Dec 7 with 3282 viewsBrianMcCarthy

So much for 'No Plan B'.

This year we've changed formation regularly. In the last two games and in particular today we changed tactics as well. Played longer, harder, defended a bit deeper and tried to clog the middle.

Still some lovely football but no with added nous.

Well done to Warburton and Co.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Good Management on 17:13 - Dec 7 with 3235 viewssuperhoopdownunder

yes in defence get rid of it

in attack do the magic - it worked
Good Management on 17:15 - Dec 7 with 3212 viewsMatch82

Yeah we have been flexible on formation all year but the change in tactics, today particularly, has made me feel a ton better that Warburton at least has the willingness to go that route when needed.
Good Management on 17:21 - Dec 7 with 3171 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agree with both posts.

Good Management on 20:00 - Dec 7 with 2922 viewsA40Bosh

As I brought a mate who has not been since late August I had to explain what has been happening the last couple of months and how it is heart in the mouth for most of every game due to this pass it in and out via the goalie the whole time and how teams have cottoned on to us.

What was really good today was the fact that we completely changed the approach, won for the first time in a while and got that elusive first clean sheet.

My mate thought BFG was imperious today “thou shall not pass”. I agreed that he was but it is not the case every week for our back 4/5 in the last 6 weeks.

VERY impressed with that performance today as even though PNE have stuttered of late we normally ensure teams get back on track!
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 20:03]

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Good Management on 21:06 - Dec 7 with 2770 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good Management on 20:00 - Dec 7 by A40Bosh

As I brought a mate who has not been since late August I had to explain what has been happening the last couple of months and how it is heart in the mouth for most of every game due to this pass it in and out via the goalie the whole time and how teams have cottoned on to us.

What was really good today was the fact that we completely changed the approach, won for the first time in a while and got that elusive first clean sheet.

My mate thought BFG was imperious today “thou shall not pass”. I agreed that he was but it is not the case every week for our back 4/5 in the last 6 weeks.

VERY impressed with that performance today as even though PNE have stuttered of late we normally ensure teams get back on track!
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 20:03]

Ya, today was pure 'Plan B' and fair play to the management for that.

BFG did everything right today and I thought that Hall was better again - he picked up the striker more and he had that great sliding tackle in the box - but the tactics suited both of them: most of the game was against one target striker with crosses easy to deal with, then a brief period of the mobile Maguire up front which caused them problems, then Nugent brought on and Scowen shoring up our centre mid and so back to crosses.

A rare comfortable day for the centre-backs.

Good Management on 21:55 - Dec 7 with 2605 viewsB_Wad

It was nice to see BOS and Pugh brought into the lineup and that seems to have made a difference. It will be interesting to see how Warburton keeps Chair's development going, but if Eze leaves in January, that will definitely open up things.
Good Management on 23:36 - Dec 7 with 2424 viewsHitch

Well done Warbuton.
Good Management on 23:39 - Dec 7 with 2417 viewstimcocking

And to me, i did particularly well to get that clean sheet. Thank Christ.
Login to get fewer ads

Good Management on 11:03 - Dec 8 with 2140 viewssmegma

Good Management on 23:39 - Dec 7 by timcocking

And to me, i did particularly well to get that clean sheet. Thank Christ.

YOU did well ??
Good Management on 12:07 - Dec 8 with 2042 viewsdavman

Gonna be interesting when Barbet is back. We looked the best we have this season at CB. If we want to play from the back, we need Barbet, but if we go down that path, we need BFG for the added steel and 'none shall pass' as mentioned in an earlier post. But I think Warbs won't drop Hall, which means three centre backs.

Sticking with Hall and BFG may be the best option at the moment, especially with two away games coming up...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Good Management on 12:19 - Dec 8 with 2026 viewsDevonWhite

Did we see another new formation yesterday? It seemed like a 4-1-3-2 / 4-3-1-2 with Cameron holding and BOS and Pugh on either side with Eze behind the strikers. I thought that would leave us really open and exposed but the opposite turned out to be true, perhaps due to how good BOS and Pugh were at tracking back and keeping shape.
Good Management on 01:31 - Dec 9 with 1816 viewsBenny_the_Ball

As others have alluded to, I think it was the approach rather than the formation that needed tweaking. Credit to Warburton for striking the right balance between pragmatic and expansive football. It was no less enjoyable to watch but resulted in a victory and clean sheet.
Good Management on 13:30 - Dec 9 with 1676 viewsR_from_afar

Good Management on 12:07 - Dec 8 by davman

Gonna be interesting when Barbet is back. We looked the best we have this season at CB. If we want to play from the back, we need Barbet, but if we go down that path, we need BFG for the added steel and 'none shall pass' as mentioned in an earlier post. But I think Warbs won't drop Hall, which means three centre backs.

Sticking with Hall and BFG may be the best option at the moment, especially with two away games coming up...

I reckon BFG's passing is a lot better than people give him credit for. Some of his longer passes are incredibly accurate.

That said, it's a long, long season so the return of Barbet will be great news.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Good Management on 14:12 - Dec 9 with 1632 viewsfrancisbowles

Good Management on 12:19 - Dec 8 by DevonWhite

Did we see another new formation yesterday? It seemed like a 4-1-3-2 / 4-3-1-2 with Cameron holding and BOS and Pugh on either side with Eze behind the strikers. I thought that would leave us really open and exposed but the opposite turned out to be true, perhaps due to how good BOS and Pugh were at tracking back and keeping shape.

I believe we started as a diamond in midfield with Eze at the tip, Cameron at the base and with Pugh and BOS either side, tucked in as necessary and giving width when attacking etc.
Good Management on 14:13 - Dec 9 with 1631 viewsAntti_Heinola

Good Management on 21:06 - Dec 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Ya, today was pure 'Plan B' and fair play to the management for that.

BFG did everything right today and I thought that Hall was better again - he picked up the striker more and he had that great sliding tackle in the box - but the tactics suited both of them: most of the game was against one target striker with crosses easy to deal with, then a brief period of the mobile Maguire up front which caused them problems, then Nugent brought on and Scowen shoring up our centre mid and so back to crosses.

A rare comfortable day for the centre-backs.

i think the main difference there is that they're not getting pulled wide by the lack of full backs, so there were a lot less gaps between our back 4 than there were between our back 3.

Bare bones.

Good Management on 14:39 - Dec 9 with 1603 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good Management on 14:13 - Dec 9 by Antti_Heinola

i think the main difference there is that they're not getting pulled wide by the lack of full backs, so there were a lot less gaps between our back 4 than there were between our back 3.

Ya, definitely right Antti.

Good Management on 15:34 - Dec 9 with 1550 viewswhittocksRs

Gotta say I thought PNE was a weird game.

We employed a strange brand of football that I couldn't put my finger on. We were solid, played reasonable stuff that looked better than it was due to Eze's brilliant and BOS absolutely destroying their left back, but it lacked a bit of urgency. We were especially poor in the first half and got a little better in the second.

My feeling was a better team in better form would have put us to the sword but PNE offered nothing and we managed to control the tempo relatively well. I also struggled with Warburton's subs - as soon as Wells got in the game, being first to the clipped ball and laying off, he was yanked off for a defensive midfielder, which ultimately almost cost us a goal (had it not been for Lumley).

But all in all, we were quite good, with one player who is really standing out as a cut above now.

Glad most people have seen it differently to me, as we need some confidence, but I wasn't reassured by that performance.
Good Management on 15:39 - Dec 9 with 1537 viewskensalriser

Good Management on 15:34 - Dec 9 by whittocksRs

We employed a strange brand of football that I couldn't put my finger on. We were solid, played reasonable stuff that looked better than it was due to Eze's brilliant and BOS absolutely destroying their left back, but it lacked a bit of urgency. We were especially poor in the first half and got a little better in the second.

My feeling was a better team in better form would have put us to the sword but PNE offered nothing and we managed to control the tempo relatively well. I also struggled with Warburton's subs - as soon as Wells got in the game, being first to the clipped ball and laying off, he was yanked off for a defensive midfielder, which ultimately almost cost us a goal (had it not been for Lumley).

But all in all, we were quite good, with one player who is really standing out as a cut above now.

Glad most people have seen it differently to me, as we need some confidence, but I wasn't reassured by that performance.

As ever, 90% of the attention is focused on our perceived efforts rather than that of the opponents.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Good Management on 15:42 - Dec 9 with 1529 viewswhittocksRs

Good Management on 15:39 - Dec 9 by kensalriser

As ever, 90% of the attention is focused on our perceived efforts rather than that of the opponents.

Sorry if my assessment of PNE is rudimentary at best. I get to see them for five minutes every Saturday, meaning I don't have that much to say. That and I also don't give a fark about PNE.
Good Management on 15:49 - Dec 9 with 1511 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good Management on 15:34 - Dec 9 by whittocksRs

I get your point.

I thought we lacked fluidity in the first half due to the change in style but I was happy to trade that for the defensive solidity on the day.

I did thing Scowen for Wells was the right call, though, as were getting swamped in centre-mid in the second half.

Good Management on 15:53 - Dec 9 with 1498 viewswhittocksRs

Good Management on 15:49 - Dec 9 by BrianMcCarthy

I get your point.

I thought we lacked fluidity in the first half due to the change in style but I was happy to trade that for the defensive solidity on the day.

I did thing Scowen for Wells was the right call, though, as were getting swamped in centre-mid in the second half.

Yeah, fair points. I'm just not convinced we were that solid. Thought there were a lot of defensive errors in the first half and getting so deep in the final 20 would have been a disaster against a team with confidence.

We're definitely better for having another way of playing but you could see it wasn't massively comfortable for the eleven out there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024