Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bright's brilliance lights up Birmingham - Report 12:14 - Dec 12 with 2067 viewsNorthernr

Bright's brilliance lights up Birmingham - Report 12th Dec 2019 12:06
Queens Park Rangers equalled last season’s record of five away wins before the halfway point of the current campaign with a comfortable 2-0 victory at Birmingham City on Wednesday night. 11

Bright's brilliance lights up Birmingham - Report on 13:11 - Dec 12 with 1848 viewsPinnerPaul

Thanks Clive

You're spot on regarding what referees at this level and above allow players to shout at them.

Every presentation I've ever been to by a top level official this question is asked by a referee in attendance.

Here for information, if not low blood pressure!, is what I have heard/read over the years.

However 'strong' the dissent at the professional level, it is not going to escalate into physical violence as it can at grassroots - hence the need to be stronger at that level.

No one (ie the clubs and the 'media') wants to see players sent off for 2 x 'f*** offs' that no one else (or at least only a few) heard.

Hence the 'bar' is set extremely high at this level. You can be sure that what is said and in rare instances cautioned for 'dissent' at the top would have been a red card at grassroots - for offensive, insulting and/or abusive language.

Another argument is that when TV shows a close up of a player mouthing off, the ref is often not near and therefore didn't hear.

Finally, you're right in that a petulant action IS often carded, but that is because, unlike dissent, everyone can see it, so its taken as undermining the referee's authority.

Not expecting many to agree with all that, as indeed many refs at my level don't, but for both my readers, thought it might inform a little.
Bright's brilliance lights up Birmingham - Report on 13:36 - Dec 12 with 1749 viewsLunarJetman

Pinner, do you think if Refs at the top level started to clamp down on it more the grass roots refs would notice a difference?

Just wondering if the lower level players see the top level players "getting away with it" so think they should be able to as well.
Bright's brilliance lights up Birmingham - Report on 13:39 - Dec 12 with 1739 viewsEastR

That is very informative thanks for posting.

But some of those excuses are very poor, and the rationale is flawed.

Same game, same rules whatever the level - blitz offenders at the highest level for a few weeks and they'll soon change their behavior, which will trickle down eventually.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Bright's brilliance lights up Birmingham - Report on 14:07 - Dec 12 with 1628 viewsPinnerPaul

Bright's brilliance lights up Birmingham - Report on 13:36 - Dec 12 by LunarJetman

Pinner, do you think if Refs at the top level started to clamp down on it more the grass roots refs would notice a difference?

Just wondering if the lower level players see the top level players "getting away with it" so think they should be able to as well.

Don't think it would make a blind bit of difference.

One of the Madeley brothers - forget which one now! - on one of his blogs said it was nonsense to suggest kids are copying this sort of thing because they see it on MOTD etc.

His example was the Zidane head butt - as he pointed out despite being one of the most high profile red cards of all time it didn't spurn a host of copycats on a Sunday morning!
Bright's brilliance lights up Birmingham - Report on 15:15 - Dec 12 with 1485 viewsLunarJetman

Bright's brilliance lights up Birmingham - Report on 14:07 - Dec 12 by PinnerPaul

Don't think it would make a blind bit of difference.

One of the Madeley brothers - forget which one now! - on one of his blogs said it was nonsense to suggest kids are copying this sort of thing because they see it on MOTD etc.

His example was the Zidane head butt - as he pointed out despite being one of the most high profile red cards of all time it didn't spurn a host of copycats on a Sunday morning!

Fair enough. One headbutt by a french man isn't quite the same as seeing players do something week in, week out though.

I haven't played Sunday League for a good few years now but I certainly remember more than a few flash harrys trying the flicks and tricks they'd seen on MOTD.

I think subliminally if you see someone/group of people behave in a certain way on a regular basis, it has surely got to influence you.

Many advertising agencies make a living off this kind of stuff so I don't think its a big jump to say that watching someone behave in a certain way on TV regularly would lead someone to adopting that kind of behaviour.

Not trying to veer off into Politics but part of the problem we have at the moment is seeing certain politicians/notable public figures go unpunished for behaving in a particular way or expressing a particular view that many would find distasteful or even abhorrent has led to may average people on the street thinking they can do the same....
Bright's brilliance lights up Birmingham - Report on 15:17 - Dec 12 with 1478 viewsqprd

Bright is such a talented player, and can very easily have a long career in the Prem.

In some respects, his ridiculous strength, particularly with his back to the goal, actually detracts from his game. Like a tall basketball player who thinks he needs to be closer to the basket because he's tall, Bright sometimes is too keen to hold up a defender around the halfway line, flick it past him and run into space.

instead of that, i'd like to see him pick up the ball face towards goal and run more at defenders (like on yesterday's goal or in the first half against Brentford) or run behind defenders into space (like the first goal against stoke),... it seems like he can do the first, but if he can start doing the latter (like Ilias Chair when hes played as a second striker) and stretching defenses, Eze can have a field day as a 10
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024