Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When will this nonsense end ?????? 02:50 - Dec 30 with 2424 viewssmegma

http://www.fisherfc.org/2019/12/29/club-statement/

Apparently there was a 21 man brawl following the incident.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 3:08]
When will this nonsense end ?????? on 11:36 - Dec 30 with 2041 viewsblacky200

I wonder if they would of left the field if they were winning 3-1. Don't get me wrong racial abuse (or any type of abuse) needs stamping out but is leaving the field going to achieve that?
When will this nonsense end ?????? on 12:10 - Dec 30 with 1941 viewsdaveB

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 11:36 - Dec 30 by blacky200

I wonder if they would of left the field if they were winning 3-1. Don't get me wrong racial abuse (or any type of abuse) needs stamping out but is leaving the field going to achieve that?

Staying on the pitch hasn't changed much so must be worth a go to try and highlight the issue
When will this nonsense end ?????? on 13:36 - Dec 30 with 1777 viewssmegma

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 12:10 - Dec 30 by daveB

Staying on the pitch hasn't changed much so must be worth a go to try and highlight the issue

The allegation was made against a player NOT a spectator so it will be interesting how it pans out.
When will this nonsense end ?????? on 14:02 - Dec 30 with 1735 viewsNov77

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7834521/Football-club-apologises-player

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 17:43 - Dec 30 with 1598 viewsed_83

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 11:36 - Dec 30 by blacky200

I feel like the whole framing of this comment is a bit off to be honest. The only thing people being racially abused should be expected to think about in this situation is their own safety and wellbeing. The wider question of how we stamp out racism is the responsibility of the rest of us.

It seems pretty obvious that the FA / FIFA / football in general are still failing to protect BAME players, so if they feel that the only option they have left is to leave the pitch, then we should support them. No game of football, whatever the score, is worth demanding someone else puts up with being racially abused.

It still blows my mind that the standard protocol is to issue two warnings, as if to say that two racist incidents are an acceptable price for a game to continue. Start making it mandatory to forfeit matches the instant that any form of racist abuse is reported, and you can bet that clubs and associations would find a way to stamp racism out of the game completely within weeks.
When will this nonsense end ?????? on 18:36 - Dec 30 with 1509 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Sorry to trivialise a important thread, but that badge is class. Did this mob used to be Fisher Athletic?

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 18:44 - Dec 30 with 1491 viewskarl

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 17:43 - Dec 30 by ed_83

I feel like the whole framing of this comment is a bit off to be honest. The only thing people being racially abused should be expected to think about in this situation is their own safety and wellbeing. The wider question of how we stamp out racism is the responsibility of the rest of us.

It seems pretty obvious that the FA / FIFA / football in general are still failing to protect BAME players, so if they feel that the only option they have left is to leave the pitch, then we should support them. No game of football, whatever the score, is worth demanding someone else puts up with being racially abused.

It still blows my mind that the standard protocol is to issue two warnings, as if to say that two racist incidents are an acceptable price for a game to continue. Start making it mandatory to forfeit matches the instant that any form of racist abuse is reported, and you can bet that clubs and associations would find a way to stamp racism out of the game completely within weeks.

Lot of sense in this.
In Scotland sectarianism is still rife and a blight on the game. Of course its been used by the Old Firm to build their rivalry and bring in more revenue allowing them to dominate the fame so much they escape any penalty by the football authorities.
Uefa on the other hand have simply fined Glasgow Rangers for the first offence and steadily escalated it up to a partial stadium closure with the next step a full stadium closure. The result was swift and worked straight away, club issuing statements denouncing those responsible and calling on self policing from the support.
All of a sudden its managed and under control, in European fixtures, of course they're full voice in SPL games, although we don't have 'strict liability' in Scottish game surely the authorities can start to make public their disgust at their behaviour?
As you say sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the horns with these situations
When will this nonsense end ?????? on 20:12 - Dec 30 with 1405 viewsNed_Kennedys

Instant forfeiting of matches would just not work. You would get morons infilitrating home or away areas and deliberately abusing their own team's players if their team was losing to try to get the game called off.
Login to get fewer ads

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 21:49 - Dec 30 with 1321 viewsMrSheen

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 18:36 - Dec 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

Sorry to trivialise a important thread, but that badge is class. Did this mob used to be Fisher Athletic?

That's right, former plaything of the Arif brothers, though since gone straight (the club, not the brothers).

On the subject of premature endings...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50946505
When will this nonsense end ?????? on 22:08 - Dec 30 with 1282 viewsblacky200

I'm black and I have been racially abused in the past especially when playing football but I still don't think walking off the pitch achieves anything. There is no simple solution to this during a match because if no one else hears it then its one word against another. I never backed down to racists but to me I wasn't going to rise to the bait and I wasn't going to spoil my fun by walking off. I never saw it any different to a rotund bloke being called fat or a bloke with a big nose or being ugly getting stick for that. Personally I always looked on people being racist to me being the thick ones.
When will this nonsense end ?????? on 22:17 - Dec 30 with 1266 viewsblacky200

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 20:12 - Dec 30 by Ned_Kennedys

Instant forfeiting of matches would just not work. You would get morons infilitrating home or away areas and deliberately abusing their own team's players if their team was losing to try to get the game called off.

This exactly. If teams start walking off whenever a player is abused then the leagues will grind to a halt.
When will this nonsense end ?????? on 22:57 - Dec 30 with 1208 viewssmegma

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 18:36 - Dec 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

Yes.

Their ground has a brilliant back drop at one end of the ground with Canary Wharf looking down on it.
When will this nonsense end ?????? on 06:50 - Dec 31 with 1096 viewsozranger

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 22:57 - Dec 30 by smegma

Yes.

Their ground has a brilliant back drop at one end of the ground with Canary Wharf looking down on it.

And, for the connoisseur, there is quite a large selection of ales and lagers available at the ground.
When will this nonsense end ?????? on 09:35 - Dec 31 with 1003 viewsjonno

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 22:57 - Dec 30 by smegma

Yes.

Don't know where they play now, but when I lived in Surrey Docks in the 80s, my house was next to their ground. I could watch their games from my upstairs bedroom window.
When will this nonsense end ?????? on 12:46 - Dec 31 with 910 viewsed_83

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 20:12 - Dec 30 by Ned_Kennedys

Yeah this is a tricky one, but I'm not entirely convinced. Protocols for forfeiting matches already exist, so you'd think that if people were stupid enough to do this they'd already be trying it. I'm not aware of any examples (would be interested to know if any exist). My gut feeling is that the numbers of people willing to go to these lengths would be extremely low.

Also, even if a few did try it on, they'd presumably give up pretty quickly if the FA put in place is a properly enforced system of lifetime bans from every league venue for anyone engaging in racism (regardless of whether it was heartfelt or tactical).

Again, while there are no easy answers to any of this, I feel like a lot of it's just about political will - if the FA and clubs genuinely wanted to stamp racism out of the game, they'd find ways to deal with this and other problems.
When will this nonsense end ?????? on 13:03 - Dec 31 with 889 viewsed_83

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 22:08 - Dec 30 by blacky200

I'm black and I have been racially abused in the past especially when playing football but I still don't think walking off the pitch achieves anything. There is no simple solution to this during a match because if no one else hears it then its one word against another. I never backed down to racists but to me I wasn't going to rise to the bait and I wasn't going to spoil my fun by walking off. I never saw it any different to a rotund bloke being called fat or a bloke with a big nose or being ugly getting stick for that. Personally I always looked on people being racist to me being the thick ones.

All very fair points - I guess the flipside of my comment is that if BAME players want to stay on the field, then we should support them unequivocally in that as well.
When will this nonsense end ?????? on 13:37 - Dec 31 with 851 viewssmegma

When will this nonsense end ?????? on 09:35 - Dec 31 by jonno

Don't know where they play now, but when I lived in Surrey Docks in the 80s, my house was next to their ground. I could watch their games from my upstairs bedroom window.

A stones throw from the original ground. St Paul's Stadium on Salter Road.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024