Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I Like Accents 09:45 - Jan 3 with 2156 viewsBoston

....don’t really know why but it seems to me anyway that it lends a richness, depth to a language. But, there are one or two examples which grate, Brummie’s have usually tended to aggravate though I now have a new villain topping the list, Antipodean Women. Due to these god awful fires, I’ve heard more Aussie ladies on the tv in the last two weeks than the previous two decades and any views I’d had on their speaking manner has been tripled down on. What’s up, the blokes sound fine, the gals have a volume button on perpetual whine?
[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 9:47]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

I Like Accents on 10:12 - Jan 3 with 1641 viewscolinallcars

I hate that sort of fake Jamaican accent that some white yoots in London use, but most of all the awful Estuary Essex accent. I actually quite like Brummie and Black Country, Geordie and a nice Norfolk/Suffolk.
I Like Accents on 10:57 - Jan 3 with 1598 viewsrunningman75

I have a fondness for women with Celtic accents though my other half has a cockney accent. Her parents were Irish.
I Like Accents on 11:05 - Jan 3 with 1593 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I dislike the sound of stuck up pricks.
I Like Accents on 11:13 - Jan 3 with 1583 viewsJuzzie

The aussie rising inflection at the end of every sentence... ugh. (sorry Aussie R's fans!)

I mentioned on the Random Irritations thread about the 'Vocal Fry' tendency to speak, especially amongst below 30's women.

It is utterly grating and horrible.

I like the soft Welsh accent though.

[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 11:14]
I Like Accents on 11:30 - Jan 3 with 1556 viewsKonk

The only accent I used to struggle with was Belfast/N.Ireland (sorry, I don't know the differences between accents in different bits of NI). I think this was mainly because I associated it with people shouting - either Ian Paisley. my mate Kieran's Dad or Jim McDonald on Coronation Street. However, having had a lovely couple of days in Belfast watching Fulham, and been utterly charmed by all the locals I met, I quite like it now.

So, I'm sort of with Bazza. It might be some subconscious class issue, but I really, really struggle to listen to anyone excessively posh. My mate's wife is lovely, but very, very posh and I really struggle to stay in the room when she's talking.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

I Like Accents on 11:45 - Jan 3 with 1525 viewsMick_S

I Like Accents on 11:30 - Jan 3 by Konk

The only accent I used to struggle with was Belfast/N.Ireland (sorry, I don't know the differences between accents in different bits of NI). I think this was mainly because I associated it with people shouting - either Ian Paisley. my mate Kieran's Dad or Jim McDonald on Coronation Street. However, having had a lovely couple of days in Belfast watching Fulham, and been utterly charmed by all the locals I met, I quite like it now.

So, I'm sort of with Bazza. It might be some subconscious class issue, but I really, really struggle to listen to anyone excessively posh. My mate's wife is lovely, but very, very posh and I really struggle to stay in the room when she's talking.

I was in my in-laws' back garden in Northern Ireland when I heard a gruff Irish accent shouting from the field at the top of the road - about 1/4 mile away, so I went for a walk and saw Ian Paisley standing on some pallets addressing/bellowing at his followers - no microphone needed. Bit off a turn up, really.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 12:05]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

I Like Accents on 11:52 - Jan 3 with 1506 viewsjohncharles

Love the way the Irish counties have different accents. I can tell the difference between Cork and Dublin but my mate can tell Limerick from Galway, Donegal from Fermanagh.

Strong and stable my arse.

I Like Accents on 11:54 - Jan 3 with 1500 viewsozranger

I Like Accents on 11:13 - Jan 3 by Juzzie

The aussie rising inflection at the end of every sentence... ugh. (sorry Aussie R's fans!)

I mentioned on the Random Irritations thread about the 'Vocal Fry' tendency to speak, especially amongst below 30's women.

You're all just jealous you can't understand Oz (and for that matter Kiwi) dialect. As for the whining young female Oz inflection, yeah we have to put up with it as well but then there are many counter plusses.
Login to get fewer ads

I Like Accents on 12:00 - Jan 3 with 1488 viewsBoston

I Like Accents on 11:54 - Jan 3 by ozranger

You're all just jealous you can't understand Oz (and for that matter Kiwi) dialect. As for the whining young female Oz inflection, yeah we have to put up with it as well but then there are many counter plusses.

Until recently I’d always thought Australian women were a bit sheepish.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

I Like Accents on 12:07 - Jan 3 with 1473 viewsKonk

I Like Accents on 11:45 - Jan 3 by Mick_S

I was in my in-laws' back garden in Northern Ireland when I heard a gruff Irish accent shouting from the field at the top of the road - about 1/4 mile away, so I went for a walk and saw Ian Paisley standing on some pallets addressing/bellowing at his followers - no microphone needed. Bit off a turn up, really.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 12:05]

Ian Paisley shouting and pallets; that's like almost completing the NI equivalent of the Safari Big five.

A long time ago, we were discussing our worst case scenario for someone sitting next to you on a long haul flight and my mate came up with Ian Paisley with Headphones on, shouting at whatever he was watching on his little screen, and bellowing about sin/salvation every time the crew offered anyone an alcoholic drink. What a wear out that would be.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

I Like Accents on 13:14 - Jan 3 with 1416 viewsSir_Chops

I Like Accents on 11:05 - Jan 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

I dislike the sound of stuck up pricks.

On the other end of the scale, some of the accents you'll hear on Talk Sport grate on me - adverts included.
I Like Accents on 13:21 - Jan 3 with 1406 viewsTacticalR

It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him.

George Bernard Shaw, Preface to Pygmalion

Air hostess clique

I Like Accents on 16:23 - Jan 3 with 1325 viewsWokingR

If you think your mate's wife is very, very posh, I presume she must be the Queen ?!
I Like Accents on 16:28 - Jan 3 with 1313 viewsstowmarketrange

I Like Accents on 12:07 - Jan 3 by Konk

Ian Paisley shouting and pallets; that's like almost completing the NI equivalent of the Safari Big five.

A long time ago, we were discussing our worst case scenario for someone sitting next to you on a long haul flight and my mate came up with Ian Paisley with Headphones on, shouting at whatever he was watching on his little screen, and bellowing about sin/salvation every time the crew offered anyone an alcoholic drink. What a wear out that would be.

One of your disciples left his happy clappy thing on my train home on Wednesday.It didn’t look like it had been used much.Shall I post it back to the club,or will they issue him another one?
I Like Accents on 16:39 - Jan 3 with 1286 viewsMrSheen

I Like Accents on 11:52 - Jan 3 by johncharles

Love the way the Irish counties have different accents. I can tell the difference between Cork and Dublin but my mate can tell Limerick from Galway, Donegal from Fermanagh.

You’ll like this, if you haven’t seen it already.

I Like Accents on 16:46 - Jan 3 with 1272 viewsstevec

Have a real issue with Scouse accents, think they know it as well.

Any business calls I'd ask 'where are you calling from?' and the answer was always Cheshire. Yeah, course you are mate, goodbye.
I Like Accents on 17:19 - Jan 3 with 1238 viewsA40Bosh

I Like Accents on 16:39 - Jan 3 by MrSheen

I have always loved listening to and trying to emulate accents and being from an Irish (Kilkenny/Cork/Kerry) family and having a wife from Co Cork I also love, not only the accents, but also the way that what is called "Hiberno-English" changes the way they string sentences together.

London: " Are you going to the pub to watch the game?"
Kilkenny " Are ye going down for t' take a look at the match?"

Mrs: "We had a lovely Christmas, so we did" (the double affirmation)
Mrs: "You are going to Mammy's for New Year, so you are" (a question posed as a statement of fact, backed up with the double affirmation)

We have also invented a new accent for my wife after being in London for 30yrs after moving from Cork: Corkney (but we don't say it often as she will punch da head off ye, so she will)

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

I Like Accents on 19:15 - Jan 3 with 1138 viewssmegma

So you are.
I Like Accents on 19:17 - Jan 3 with 1135 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I Like Accents on 10:12 - Jan 3 by colinallcars

I hate that sort of fake Jamaican accent that some white yoots in London use, but most of all the awful Estuary Essex accent. I actually quite like Brummie and Black Country, Geordie and a nice Norfolk/Suffolk.

Some years back I used to sit next to a couple of teenage English lads at QPR, both of whom spoke Jafaican. When they asked me for advice on starting a career, I told them both to drop the fake accent. One listened and is now going places, the other didn't and is struggling to catch a break. Draw your own conclusions.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2020 19:29]
I Like Accents on 20:17 - Jan 3 with 1095 viewsMiss_Terraces

I Like Accents on 13:14 - Jan 3 by Sir_Chops

On the other end of the scale, some of the accents you'll hear on Talk Sport grate on me - adverts included.

It's not the accents on tourist sport, that annoy me, it's their words and language. It comes loud and clear that most of them, are not football supporters

As to the OP, I absolutely love the Irish, mainland Europe and the South American accents

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

I Like Accents on 20:27 - Jan 3 with 1081 viewsderbyhoop

In 2013-14 I worked in Dublin. Our lunch group was an Englisman, an Irishman, a Frenchman, a Spaniard and a Pole. We also had a Russian, Indian and Brazilian in the office.
Now living and working in France, I've dealt with people from different parts of France, Belgium, Dutch, Irish and American.
Embrace the different accents, acceptbthem and relish the wonderful variety of people that you find in Western Europe.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

I Like Accents on 21:01 - Jan 3 with 1043 viewslondonscottish

I Like Accents on 11:13 - Jan 3 by Juzzie

I hate vocal fry. Drives me absolutely nuts.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

I Like Accents on 01:29 - Jan 4 with 944 viewsjohncharles

I Like Accents on 16:39 - Jan 3 by MrSheen

Brilliant 😀 but where’s the Donegal ?

Strong and stable my arse.

I Like Accents on 09:33 - Jan 4 with 863 viewsPommyhoop

I Like Accents on 01:29 - Jan 4 by johncharles

Brilliant 😀 but where’s the Donegal ?

My folk's County...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

I Like Accents on 10:18 - Jan 4 with 837 viewsthame_hoops

One thing I loved about Boston was the accent, sounds so funny on cute women there
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024