Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lawrence Shankland 16:22 - Jan 14 with 17640 viewsSir_Chops

This may have appeared elsewhere, but what do our Scottish football experts think of this guy? Could he do the business down here in the Championship?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/lawrence-sha

Had read elsewhere he rejected a move to England when Dundee United picked him up from Ayr.
Lawrence Shankland on 12:11 - Jan 20 with 3365 viewskarl

Lawrence Shankland on 11:51 - Jan 20 by Sir_Chops

If that's true, and adding 2 and 2 together, that's Niko Hamalainen's position. He's been impressing at Kilmarnock. I wonder if he'd be used as leverage in a straight swap or player/cash deal...

From what I've been hearing I'd say Haamelainen is a better player tbh.
As Oz says above a lot of fans like the sound of the loan back arrangement and is mentioned a lot at other clubs but I'm not sure if there is an actual example of it being done at the moment.
Big thing will be sell on clause, St Mirren have 30% of anything Hibs make on John McGinn and Celtic the same on young Hearts player Aaron Hickey who is attracting interest, could be the % offered might be a big selling point?
Lawrence Shankland on 12:37 - Jan 20 with 3270 viewsfrancisbowles

Lawrence Shankland on 11:30 - Jan 20 by karl

Big change in that now CCJ, Scott Brown was a Rangers fan for example, if they offered the best contract I think he would go there.
Celtic definitely had a scout in the stands but as I said elsewhere I found it strange that if Les was at the fame he wasn't picked out by the cameras, of course there could have been a lesser known scout there instead.
Celtic just cup tied Leigh Griffiths so less value for him to loan out domestically (Hibs would be automatic favourites to get him) and they've signed a Polish lad so not convinced they would actually want Shankland enough to pay what DUtd would want.
I'm loving the Scottish connection MW has brought to the club and Shankland would hopefully kick on but going over £1/1.5m would be a worry.
Fwiw I think he's a different player to CW and would just need to get off to a good start and I'm sure he would do well, he will score goals it would be how much more was expected of him that will possibly hold him back

Well we would expect him to be as good a target and at holding the ball up as Hugill whilst scoring goals of all sorts like Wells and a bit more in being able to dribble like Eze, run like Bos and pass like Ray Wilkins all for a two and six transfer fee and five bob a week!

Seriously though, can he play the lone striker role?
Lawrence Shankland on 12:46 - Jan 20 with 3231 viewskarl

Lawrence Shankland on 12:37 - Jan 20 by francisbowles

Well we would expect him to be as good a target and at holding the ball up as Hugill whilst scoring goals of all sorts like Wells and a bit more in being able to dribble like Eze, run like Bos and pass like Ray Wilkins all for a two and six transfer fee and five bob a week!

Seriously though, can he play the lone striker role?

Very true FB! As with fans of all clubs the transfer fee brings levels of expectation though, imo he can play lobe striker at Scottish Championship level but against Russia he (and all the Scotland team) struggled but you can't solely judge him on one substitute appearance, he played full game against San Marino but again that can't be used as a game to judge him.
Imo he's not as good as Hugill or Wells in general game play but I do think he's a better goalscorer than Hugill and he won't have the (very) poor runs of form Wells has so it probably all boils down to the fact he would be our player to develop and potentially sell for a profit and would his wage cost be markedly less than we pay for either of the loan stars?
Nowadays if you can't play up front on your own then you are destined to a career in League 1 unless you are a goal machine like Rhodes and can get higher Championship clubs, it will be the main decision Les will be considering I imagine
Lawrence Shankland on 13:47 - Jan 20 with 3148 viewsrsonist

Hope all these Scots clubs keep pricing us out tbh.
Lawrence Shankland on 10:20 - Jan 29 with 2834 viewsGloucs_R

Now being touted out at £3m.....

Stoke, Southampton and us all linked

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Lawrence Shankland on 11:06 - Jan 29 with 2710 viewskarl

Lawrence Shankland on 10:20 - Jan 29 by Gloucs_R

Now being touted out at £3m.....

Stoke, Southampton and us all linked

Getting expensive now.
Listened to the game on radio look ast night and he was kept pretty quiet but his goal was described as being very good (Hibs fans thinking he wasn't closed down well) and he missed a good chance as well.
Interesting to see what happens.
As a Scotland supporter I hope he goes to a club where he gets game time/opportunity straight away and of all the clubs I think that will be QPR, it's just getting expensive now and would fear its too much.
If he scores plenty it's very cheap of course.
Lawrence Shankland on 12:31 - Jan 29 with 2550 viewsWestbourneR

Lawrence Shankland on 11:06 - Jan 29 by karl

Getting expensive now.
Listened to the game on radio look ast night and he was kept pretty quiet but his goal was described as being very good (Hibs fans thinking he wasn't closed down well) and he missed a good chance as well.
Interesting to see what happens.
As a Scotland supporter I hope he goes to a club where he gets game time/opportunity straight away and of all the clubs I think that will be QPR, it's just getting expensive now and would fear its too much.
If he scores plenty it's very cheap of course.

To me he looks worth a punt even at £3million.. but then again I thought Kayden Jackson looked good.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Lawrence Shankland on 12:44 - Jan 29 with 2491 viewskarl

Lawrence Shankland on 12:31 - Jan 29 by WestbourneR

To me he looks worth a punt even at £3million.. but then again I thought Kayden Jackson looked good.

He's possibly got the scoring record that will mean of he doesn't click for us then there will be some clubs willing to take him off our hands at 'cost' almost, would need to be a quick decision to keep his last 2 seasons relevant of course.
On the Wells thread someone has said if he can't score with the supply he'd get here then he wouldn't succeed anywhere, in that case he could quite quickly be turned into a £10m player and be a very good piece of business.
He can score goals and is relatively athletic reaching that age for Scottish 'youngsters' of 24ish where they are able to cope with Championship.
I'd say he's worth a gamble
Login to get fewer ads

Lawrence Shankland on 13:38 - Jan 29 with 2373 viewsozranger

It's interesting that we all complain about the price of forwards on the market these days. A good one will sell for £8-10m. So is the £3m considered a good investment in that if he is good enough we can sell him for a profit? Our philosophy is to buy low and sell high. For a defender or midfielder that may be buying around the £1-2m mark as the purchase price. Forwards we need to realise are in a different bracket, both at the buying and selling side of things. In today's market £2-3m appears decent value for a forward. Trouble is can we afford him?
Lawrence Shankland on 13:45 - Jan 29 with 2320 viewsdannyblue

Not going anywhere apparently. Staying put to get promoted:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/lawrence-sha
Lawrence Shankland on 13:52 - Jan 29 with 2285 viewsdavman

Lawrence Shankland on 13:38 - Jan 29 by ozranger

It's interesting that we all complain about the price of forwards on the market these days. A good one will sell for £8-10m. So is the £3m considered a good investment in that if he is good enough we can sell him for a profit? Our philosophy is to buy low and sell high. For a defender or midfielder that may be buying around the £1-2m mark as the purchase price. Forwards we need to realise are in a different bracket, both at the buying and selling side of things. In today's market £2-3m appears decent value for a forward. Trouble is can we afford him?

What loan fees do we pay anyway?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Lawrence Shankland on 13:57 - Jan 29 with 2255 viewsterryb

Lawrence Shankland on 13:52 - Jan 29 by davman

What loan fees do we pay anyway?

Whatever is agreed between the two clubs.
Lawrence Shankland on 14:04 - Jan 29 with 2221 viewsfrancisbowles

Lawrence Shankland on 13:57 - Jan 29 by terryb

Whatever is agreed between the two clubs.

We got our loans for Wells and Hugill in fairly late, so we were in a good bargaining position. My guess would be no fee and a percentage of their wages which would still make them our most expensive players.

If I remember rightly the others came in earlier but we are giving them experience so again fairly cheap, probably no fee and a smaller amount in wages. We do have to try and give them playing time though, otherwise we won't be looked on kindly in the future.

Don't know what has happened to Mlaker. I know he got injured in a development game, not sure if he has been fit since.
Lawrence Shankland on 14:39 - Jan 29 with 2113 viewskarl

Lawrence Shankland on 13:45 - Jan 29 by dannyblue

Not going anywhere apparently. Staying put to get promoted:

Heard Neilson, the Dundee United manager, on the radio last night and was pretty much saying 'want to keep him but depends if silly offer comes in'.
Pundits were saying that meant over £2m and be hard to turn down with hard decision to make, over £3m it's a no brainer and they would snatch their hands off.
Scottish game is pretty incestuous so plenty inside info flying about albeit the DU owners are new to the game here so might actually be holding firm and no one will know the true position.
Facts are Dundee United 18pts clear and now knocked out of the cup, they have overspent circa £3m plus getting promoted, Shankland was free and could be offers of £3m on table, it does point to selling at his highest value?
Biggest potential reason for him staying is the season long injury to their other striker so unless they get someone else in then they would look stupid blowing their lead by having no one to play up front.
With the Shankland money they would easily pick up someone I would think

Edit they do have Osman Sow who was sent back by Kilmarnock but he's been unbelievably bad so not really counting him as a back up, I'm sure they aren't.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 14:43]
Lawrence Shankland on 15:04 - Jan 29 with 2028 viewsaston_hoop

As an alternative to Larry Shankland, some less than reputable sportks outlets are linking us with Bristol Rovers striker Jonson Clarke-Harris, a man whose name is made up entirely of surnames. Anyone know anything about him? Seems to have scored plenty of goals in the last 12 months

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Lawrence Shankland on 15:23 - Jan 29 with 1962 viewsLongsufferingR

Lawrence Shankland on 15:04 - Jan 29 by aston_hoop

As an alternative to Larry Shankland, some less than reputable sportks outlets are linking us with Bristol Rovers striker Jonson Clarke-Harris, a man whose name is made up entirely of surnames. Anyone know anything about him? Seems to have scored plenty of goals in the last 12 months

Looks like he's done the lower league rounds in the last 8 years or so but 21 in 35 league games for BR is good going. They seem to have a liking for multiple named names there as they also have Tareiq Holmes-Dennis and Jayden Mitchell-Lawson.
Lawrence Shankland on 15:26 - Jan 29 with 1944 viewsrsonist

Think we've had our eye on him since he scored against us for Rotherham many years ago. Always been a raw talent but a late developer.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/oct/09/jonson-clarke-harris-brist
Lawrence Shankland on 15:27 - Jan 29 with 1931 viewsDavieQPR

Have to be careful Clarke-Harris isn't another Washington. Had previously done nothing at Coventry, Oldham. and Rotherham, also when on loan to M K Dons and Doncaster. We should be very wary of 25 year old one season lower league wonders. Games 174 Goals 25.
Lawrence Shankland on 15:30 - Jan 29 with 1922 viewsWestbourneR

Lawrence Shankland on 15:26 - Jan 29 by rsonist

Think we've had our eye on him since he scored against us for Rotherham many years ago. Always been a raw talent but a late developer.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/oct/09/jonson-clarke-harris-brist

Saw him play against us in the League Cup game at Loftus Road last season. He looked their best player and moderately threatening but I wouldn't expect him to tear up any trees. Certainly not as good as Nakhi Wells.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Lawrence Shankland on 15:47 - Jan 29 with 1857 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Lawrence Shankland on 15:30 - Jan 29 by WestbourneR

Saw him play against us in the League Cup game at Loftus Road last season. He looked their best player and moderately threatening but I wouldn't expect him to tear up any trees. Certainly not as good as Nakhi Wells.

Oh well, at least if we sign him it would give NorthernR the chance to resurrect his ‘half man, half tattoo’ joke (or whatever it was).
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 15:48]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Lawrence Shankland on 17:00 - Jan 29 with 1688 viewsbosh67

I have a feeling that a gentleman's agreement has been done for Shankland and that he'll come here in the summer when we move X or Y player on and his team there goes up. That is unless Forest go up in which case they will barge in and increase their squad to 2000+ players.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Lawrence Shankland on 17:05 - Jan 29 with 1660 viewsenfieldargh

I'm in Dundee at the moment, shall I kidnap him?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Lawrence Shankland on 18:12 - Jan 29 with 1538 viewsHastings_Hoops

I think I mentioned him in the summer... can’t remember. Certainly thought he could do a job.

...bring back the Bristol Rovers affiliation.
Lawrence Shankland on 18:38 - Jan 29 with 1481 viewsbosh67

Lawrence Shankland on 17:05 - Jan 29 by enfieldargh

I'm in Dundee at the moment, shall I kidnap him?

Obviously yes! That way not only is he ours on a free but if Dundee want him back they would have to pay a big ransom. You’re a genius Enfield! Why didn’t we think of this model before? 🤔

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Lawrence Shankland on 19:35 - Jan 29 with 1413 viewsjohncharles

Lawrence Shankland on 18:38 - Jan 29 by bosh67

Obviously yes! That way not only is he ours on a free but if Dundee want him back they would have to pay a big ransom. You’re a genius Enfield! Why didn’t we think of this model before? 🤔

It’s Dundee UNITED. NOT Dundee it’s UNITED. Bit like calling QPR Chelsea.
Anyway, I’m living up here now and I hope Warburton can use his connections and tie up a deal for Shankland . Even £3 million is a steal.

Strong and stable my arse.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024