Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dirty Dirty Leeds! 12:22 - Jan 17 with 1835 viewsRed_Ranger

Damned United best football book of all time IMHO.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 12:26]
Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 12:34 - Jan 17 with 1788 viewsTheChef

All Played Out by Pete Davies.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 12:44 - Jan 17 with 1775 viewssmegma

Dreadful book, decent film.
Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 12:53 - Jan 17 with 1754 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Didn't the author admit that the book was part-imagined?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 13:12 - Jan 17 with 1708 viewssmegma

Part imagined?? It should be in the same section as Terry Pratchett in the library.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 18:15]
Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 13:28 - Jan 17 with 1674 viewsMaggsinho

Terrific book, so much better and darker than the film which is essentially Carry On Clough.

Worth checking out his Red Riding series about the Yorkshire Ripper.
Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 13:58 - Jan 17 with 1618 viewsCamberleyR

Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 12:53 - Jan 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Faction. Based on fact with a hefty dose of David Peace's imagination such as the 'Clough' character taking an axe to Don Revie's desk and then burning it in the car park. I bought the book when it first came out and enjoyed it, think I read it in two or three sittings.

The early editions of the book are different from later editions due to Johnny Giles' legal action for libel down to his depiction in the book as a troublemaker and the lead protagonist in plotting against the manager, and the 'Clough' character referring to him as "the Irishman".

Johnny Giles apparently said "Many of the things Peace talks about in the book never happened and for that reason, I felt it necessary to go to the Courts to establish that this was fiction based on fact and nothing more." Eventually he received an apology from Peace.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 15:18 - Jan 17 with 1535 viewsBoston

Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 13:58 - Jan 17 by CamberleyR

Faction. Based on fact with a hefty dose of David Peace's imagination such as the 'Clough' character taking an axe to Don Revie's desk and then burning it in the car park. I bought the book when it first came out and enjoyed it, think I read it in two or three sittings.

The early editions of the book are different from later editions due to Johnny Giles' legal action for libel down to his depiction in the book as a troublemaker and the lead protagonist in plotting against the manager, and the 'Clough' character referring to him as "the Irishman".

Johnny Giles apparently said "Many of the things Peace talks about in the book never happened and for that reason, I felt it necessary to go to the Courts to establish that this was fiction based on fact and nothing more." Eventually he received an apology from Peace.

So he’s the bloke what wrote War & Peace then?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 15:21 - Jan 17 with 1528 viewshamptonhillhoop

Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 13:28 - Jan 17 by Maggsinho

Terrific book, so much better and darker than the film which is essentially Carry On Clough.

Worth checking out his Red Riding series about the Yorkshire Ripper.

They're dark books them, Maggsinho. I've read them all twice and still don't think I've really understood them
Login to get fewer ads

Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 15:22 - Jan 17 with 1524 viewssmegma

Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 13:58 - Jan 17 by CamberleyR

Faction ?? I've heard it all now.
Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 16:38 - Jan 17 with 1468 viewsterryb

It's all a matter of personal choice, but I was very disappointed with this book.

For me, far better were:-

Only a game? - Easmon Dunphy
The greatest player you never saw - Paulo Hewitt & Paul McGuigan
Miracle of Castel Di Sangro - Joe McGinnis
All played out - Pete Davies
Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 17:06 - Jan 17 with 1424 viewsCamberleyR

Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 15:22 - Jan 17 by smegma

Faction ?? I've heard it all now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fiction_novel

"The non-fiction novel is a literary genre which, broadly speaking, depicts real historical figures and actual events woven together with fictitious conversations and uses the storytelling techniques of fiction. The non-fiction novel is an otherwise loosely defined and flexible genre. The genre is sometimes referred to using the slang term "faction", a portmanteau of the words fact and fiction"
[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 17:14]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 18:22 - Jan 17 with 1346 viewssmegma

Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 16:38 - Jan 17 by terryb

It's all a matter of personal choice, but I was very disappointed with this book.

For me, far better were:-

Only a game? - Easmon Dunphy
The greatest player you never saw - Paulo Hewitt & Paul McGuigan
Miracle of Castel Di Sangro - Joe McGinnis
All played out - Pete Davies

Ditto. It's poorly written in my opinion. I put the book back in the cupboard on about 100 pages as I got fed up of reading ' through the doors, along the corridor, turned right , through the next door' or whatever the saying was and was literally on every other page.

Ive got about about 60 football books on my shelves and Damned United is not in the best 60 .
Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 18:31 - Jan 17 with 1324 viewssmegma

Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 17:06 - Jan 17 by CamberleyR

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fiction_novel

"The non-fiction novel is a literary genre which, broadly speaking, depicts real historical figures and actual events woven together with fictitious conversations and uses the storytelling techniques of fiction. The non-fiction novel is an otherwise loosely defined and flexible genre. The genre is sometimes referred to using the slang term "faction", a portmanteau of the words fact and fiction"
[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 17:14]

According to OED.

faction

/ˈfakʃ(ə)n/

noun

noun: faction; plural noun: factions

a small organized dissenting group within a larger one, especially in politics.

"the left-wing faction of the party"

Similar:
clique

bloc

camp

sector

section

wing

division
contingent

pressure group
splinter group
fringe movement
minority group
-dissension within an organization.

"a council increasingly split by faction"
Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 18:37 - Jan 17 with 1305 viewsNW5Hoop

Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 12:53 - Jan 17 by BrianMcCarthy

It's a novel. It was published as a novel. No one ever pretended it was a history book. *Of course* it was part imagined. Doesn't stop it being brilliant. As is Red or Dead, by the same author, about Bill Shankly.
Dirty Dirty Leeds! on 18:46 - Jan 17 with 1278 viewsShotKneesHoop

I might be a little biased but two very good books to read are : -

Football Manager - Alec Stock
Born To Manage - Terry Venables

Five shyte books published by Redknobb Press and not to be read by anyone with a conscience :-

1.Wheeler Dealers for Beginners
2.'Arry's Roly Polys and why I should be a judge on Bake Off
3.Self Assessment Tax Returns for Dog Owners
4.Who knows Pinocchio better than me?
5.How I could have saved Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Southampton, QPR and Birmingham from the drop if only I had been given another £55 million to sign more of my old Spurs mates again.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 18:49]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024