Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So that's the season over. 00:13 - Feb 1 with 8716 viewsconnell10

Looks like our season is over then, same time next year ??

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

So that's the season over. on 00:46 - Feb 1 with 3891 viewsHooparoo

Maybe they’ll surprise us and go on a good run in February. I think we sometimes forget they’re human beings and we underestimate how unsettling it is for the whole squad during the January Transfer period.

We’re about to find out.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

So that's the season over. on 01:04 - Feb 1 with 3870 viewsDejR_vu

We can’t keep circling the drain and expect to get away with it. What exactly is the point? Starting every season hoping not to get relegated? Great, can’t wait.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

So that's the season over. on 01:39 - Feb 1 with 3846 viewsRanger1208

So that's the season over. on 01:04 - Feb 1 by DejR_vu

We can’t keep circling the drain and expect to get away with it. What exactly is the point? Starting every season hoping not to get relegated? Great, can’t wait.

Yes and it’ll be the same next season and the one after that and the one after that. 3 wins to safety!
So that's the season over. on 07:37 - Feb 1 with 3656 viewsWoodlaneR

Why is the season over??
So that's the season over. on 07:40 - Feb 1 with 3645 viewsngbqpr

So that's the season over. on 07:37 - Feb 1 by WoodlaneR

Why is the season over??

Well I’m looking forward to another 20 odd games of Eze, Chair & BOS myself.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

So that's the season over. on 07:58 - Feb 1 with 3592 viewsDejR_vu

So that's the season over. on 07:40 - Feb 1 by ngbqpr

They’re all great, but we have the prospect of watching Hugill smashing the chances they produce into the playground at one end and the residents at the other boarding up their windows. At the other end, now Leistner’s gone, we’ve got the politest, most gentle of gentleman in defence, opening doors for opposition strikers because it’s good manners.

So that's the season over. on 08:33 - Feb 1 with 3509 viewsGloucs_R

So that's the season over. on 07:58 - Feb 1 by DejR_vu

They’re all great, but we have the prospect of watching Hugill smashing the chances they produce into the playground at one end and the residents at the other boarding up their windows. At the other end, now Leistner’s gone, we’ve got the politest, most gentle of gentleman in defence, opening doors for opposition strikers because it’s good manners.

I think Hugill will get 20 this season. It's been a long time since we've had two strikers getting 15-20 goals each and one of them has now left!!

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

So that's the season over. on 08:45 - Feb 1 with 3467 viewsozranger

Apologies for being the optimist here but we have hardly altered the team, as Clive says. We have lost some players who are not key to our future and were squad players at the best. We have kept the mainstay of the team, the part that creates the excitement for this season. That is, the youngsters.

So, what all here are moaning about is that we did't go out and buy the farm or even a few paddocks? What a load of social media hyped codswallop.

I for one will continue to enjoy this season as it may not be repeated for some time. We know we will lose one or more of the "trio of fun" in the summer and next season may not have the same excitement factor as this. So, unlike you moaners, I will be there home and away.
Login to get fewer ads

So that's the season over. on 08:45 - Feb 1 with 3462 viewsjohnhoop

I wouldn’t worry too much Connell. If this turns out to be one of those seasons when you need to get to 50 points to avoid the drop, we could still be in for plenty of drama before the end.
So that's the season over. on 08:59 - Feb 1 with 3418 viewsDejR_vu

So that's the season over. on 08:45 - Feb 1 by ozranger

Apologies for being the optimist here but we have hardly altered the team, as Clive says. We have lost some players who are not key to our future and were squad players at the best. We have kept the mainstay of the team, the part that creates the excitement for this season. That is, the youngsters.

So, what all here are moaning about is that we did't go out and buy the farm or even a few paddocks? What a load of social media hyped codswallop.

I for one will continue to enjoy this season as it may not be repeated for some time. We know we will lose one or more of the "trio of fun" in the summer and next season may not have the same excitement factor as this. So, unlike you moaners, I will be there home and away.

Sorry Oz, nothing personal but haven’t altered the team? Wells is one of, if not the, best strikers in the division on current form, Leistner’s started 2/3 of the games this season.

Our defence, which was already letting goals in like water through a sieve, now comprises:

Kane, enough said;
Manning, never a full back in a million years;
Hall, decentish
Masterson, potentially exceptional but has played less games than I have fingers;
Barbet, just a brooding male model;
Rangel, Wallace and, potentially Cameron, the official faces of the National Rhuematoid Arthritis Society;
Potentially Ball, who knows back there?

We just need Lumley to come back in now.

Sorry, just letting off steam.

So that's the season over. on 09:23 - Feb 1 with 3337 viewsbosh67

I agree. We've done well to keep Hugill, BOS, Eze and Chair. Shodipo is coming through and we haven't yet seem what Clarke at full match fitness and game time can do.

Biggest problem for me is an over reliance on Barbet and Hall staying fit between now and the end of the season. That is a worry.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

So that's the season over. on 09:25 - Feb 1 with 3321 viewsrsonist

The season was over before the squad culling not because of it. The squad has been culled because the season is over. The players we've just got rid of or refused to pay beyond our means for were contributors to that, which is why the ones we've been able to cull have been culled. There are very, very few good opportunities to rebuild the squad immediately in mid-season within our current means at good value. Our future means will be better off for this. We should be in the best possible shape we're able to be in come the summer transfer window.
So that's the season over. on 09:31 - Feb 1 with 3295 viewsAntti_Heinola

So that's the season over. on 09:25 - Feb 1 by rsonist

The season was over before the squad culling not because of it. The squad has been culled because the season is over. The players we've just got rid of or refused to pay beyond our means for were contributors to that, which is why the ones we've been able to cull have been culled. There are very, very few good opportunities to rebuild the squad immediately in mid-season within our current means at good value. Our future means will be better off for this. We should be in the best possible shape we're able to be in come the summer transfer window.

Great post.

While I'd have liked a forward in, I'm a bit non-plused by the hand-wringing and panic going about. Scowen barely played all season, Leistner I like but Masterson has moved above him in the pecking order and is cheaper, Mlakar never played, Smith never played. Wells I'm sad about, but the club could do very little about that and buying a striker, as Bristol have proved adequately, in Jan is ludicrously costly.
I'm not sure what the fuss is about. To me, we've lost a striker, which is a real blow. Beyond that, it's the same squad.

Bare bones.

So that's the season over. on 09:41 - Feb 1 with 3273 viewsDejR_vu

So that's the season over. on 09:31 - Feb 1 by Antti_Heinola

Great post.

While I'd have liked a forward in, I'm a bit non-plused by the hand-wringing and panic going about. Scowen barely played all season, Leistner I like but Masterson has moved above him in the pecking order and is cheaper, Mlakar never played, Smith never played. Wells I'm sad about, but the club could do very little about that and buying a striker, as Bristol have proved adequately, in Jan is ludicrously costly.
I'm not sure what the fuss is about. To me, we've lost a striker, which is a real blow. Beyond that, it's the same squad.

Direction of travel I guess. And you do need some depth to your squad.

Giving up on a season in January is depressing. Maybe wouldn’t be so bad if we had something to look forward to but what under this shower’s tenure gives anyone even the slightest glimmer that we’re finally going to get something right?

So that's the season over. on 09:45 - Feb 1 with 3259 viewsNed_Kennedys

Great post.

Its NOT the same squad and its naïve to think so.
A couple of long term injuries and/or more suspensions will leave us incredibly light in important areas.
Hugill injured leaves us literally with just Oteh as a recognised striker.
Another injury to Hall or a further setback to Barbet leaves us with just Masterson who has played a handful of games so far.
Other areas we may have a few bodies who can cover there but they will mainly be inexperienced or out of position.
So that's the season over. on 10:01 - Feb 1 with 3190 viewstimcocking

At least we've kept Eze and Bright.
So that's the season over. on 10:05 - Feb 1 with 3183 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Great post.

This.

I like a nice slim squad, and getting rid of a 30 year old and having a 20 year old take his place is what we are supposed to be doing on a loop if we are to survive in the FFP world.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2020 10:06]
So that's the season over. on 10:10 - Feb 1 with 3162 viewsNed_Kennedys

So that's the season over. on 10:05 - Feb 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

This.

I like a nice slim squad, and getting rid of a 30 year old and having a 20 year old take his place is what we are supposed to be doing on a loop if we are to survive in the FFP world.

Yeah I'm sure Oteh will slips seamlessly into Wells' position, scoring double figures in the process.
So that's the season over. on 10:12 - Feb 1 with 3147 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I just don't see how the club have packed it in here - we couldn't buy Wells under current rules, we've replaced BFG2 with Masterson and we've lost a fringe midfielder.

I would've liked to see a loan striker in, but we know from Dave Mc that the club tried but didn't like the options available.

What still gets me is binning the FA Cup, but I understand the transfers and don't mind them.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

So that's the season over. on 10:13 - Feb 1 with 3142 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

So that's the season over. on 10:10 - Feb 1 by Ned_Kennedys

Yeah I'm sure Oteh will slips seamlessly into Wells' position, scoring double figures in the process.

Who hurt you Ned?
So that's the season over. on 10:15 - Feb 1 with 3123 viewsNed_Kennedys

So that's the season over. on 10:13 - Feb 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

Who hurt you Ned?

Just all cut up about leaving the EU I guess. Thanks for your concern.
So that's the season over. on 10:21 - Feb 1 with 3115 viewsDejR_vu

So that's the season over. on 10:05 - Feb 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

This.

I’d agree if we had replaced the 30 year old with the 20 year old like-for-like, but we’ve actually had to wave goodbye to a striker who scores goals for one who never has (I appreciate he’s young, I appreciate the process in developing players etc. but we do need to have some level of pragmatism).

We seem to have become blinded by what we’re actually here for. Football is a sport. Most (I appreciate not all) people who enjoy sport have a competitive streak. We enjoy winning, or at least competing and being in with a chance of winning. If we can’t even compete what’s the point? We now appear to be faced with the prospect of every time we have a glimmer of hope, being flicked off, and not even by big clubs.

I’m not sure why the last 24 hours has riled me the way it has. I fully understand FFP, I understand the constraints, Wells going wasn’t out of the blue. I guess i’ve been a bit blind-sided by the fact we can’t really seem to afford anything by way of replacement and I can’t see any way forward with the people we gave at the club.

So that's the season over. on 10:23 - Feb 1 with 3098 viewsPinnerPaul

Exactly - we love a 'drama' on here don't we?
So that's the season over. on 10:26 - Feb 1 with 3081 viewstraininvain

So that's the season over. on 10:01 - Feb 1 by timcocking

At least we've kept Eze and Bright.

This. If we’d been offered the chance in mid to late December to keep Eze and Bright but lose Wells in the January transfer window, most fans would’ve bitten your arm off.

The funny thing is the same people moaning were on Wells back a month ago for not scoring enough goals!
So that's the season over. on 10:27 - Feb 1 with 3074 viewsBrianMcCarthy

So that's the season over. on 10:21 - Feb 1 by DejR_vu

I’d agree if we had replaced the 30 year old with the 20 year old like-for-like, but we’ve actually had to wave goodbye to a striker who scores goals for one who never has (I appreciate he’s young, I appreciate the process in developing players etc. but we do need to have some level of pragmatism).

We seem to have become blinded by what we’re actually here for. Football is a sport. Most (I appreciate not all) people who enjoy sport have a competitive streak. We enjoy winning, or at least competing and being in with a chance of winning. If we can’t even compete what’s the point? We now appear to be faced with the prospect of every time we have a glimmer of hope, being flicked off, and not even by big clubs.

I’m not sure why the last 24 hours has riled me the way it has. I fully understand FFP, I understand the constraints, Wells going wasn’t out of the blue. I guess i’ve been a bit blind-sided by the fact we can’t really seem to afford anything by way of replacement and I can’t see any way forward with the people we gave at the club.

I feel your pain, DejR.

The only thing I would say is that if you or me were in charge yesterday and we were minted (and we didn't head straight to the Crown on a sesh) we couldn't have done anything about Wells without busting FFP. Bristol City have given him a contract until he's 34. 34!

I really would've liked a loan striker in, mind you - though Smegma does rate Oteh as a finisher, by the way.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024