Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
City v Spurs & VAR! 11:45 - Feb 3 with 1952 viewsPinnerPaul

Blimey!

Not really about the decsions per se - you could argue with most, but may as well just have left it all to Mike Dean - would agree with some, not others but wouldn't have the interminable delay.

For me

Aguero pen - Mike Dean correct, VAR wrong
Sterling challenge - Mike Dean and VAR wrong
Sterling pen/dive - Mike Dean and VAR correct
lloris - moved at pen - Mike Dean and and VAR both wrong
City player 2 yellows - easy decision - Mike Dean correct
City v Spurs & VAR! on 11:56 - Feb 3 with 1932 viewsLongsufferingR

Just posted this on Smegma's thread:

How can this be allowed to continue? That Spurs one yesterday was utter nonsense. Ref says no penalty (correct decision IMO) but play goes on for 2 minutes until Var bring it back for a penalty.

What if somebody had broken their leg in those 2 minutes and the defender sent off? Do they just unbreak his leg and call the sent off player back, or does the red card stand for something that has happened during 2 minutes of play that we're all supposed to just forget about?

Absolute fking bowlocks.
City v Spurs & VAR! on 12:01 - Feb 3 with 1905 viewsPinnerPaul

City v Spurs & VAR! on 11:56 - Feb 3 by LongsufferingR

Just posted this on Smegma's thread:

How can this be allowed to continue? That Spurs one yesterday was utter nonsense. Ref says no penalty (correct decision IMO) but play goes on for 2 minutes until Var bring it back for a penalty.

What if somebody had broken their leg in those 2 minutes and the defender sent off? Do they just unbreak his leg and call the sent off player back, or does the red card stand for something that has happened during 2 minutes of play that we're all supposed to just forget about?

Absolute fking bowlocks.

Agree - this is what is supposed to happen as per LOTG

"If play continues after an incident which is then reviewed, any disciplinary
action taken/required during the post-incident period is not cancelled,
even if the original decision is changed (except a caution/sending-off for
stopping a promising attack or DOGSO)."
City v Spurs & VAR! on 12:06 - Feb 3 with 1883 viewsLongsufferingR

City v Spurs & VAR! on 12:01 - Feb 3 by PinnerPaul

Agree - this is what is supposed to happen as per LOTG

"If play continues after an incident which is then reviewed, any disciplinary
action taken/required during the post-incident period is not cancelled,
even if the original decision is changed (except a caution/sending-off for
stopping a promising attack or DOGSO)."

I presume LOTG now means lynching of the game as that's what is happening.
City v Spurs & VAR! on 12:27 - Feb 3 with 1819 viewsPinnerPaul

City v Spurs & VAR! on 12:06 - Feb 3 by LongsufferingR

I presume LOTG now means lynching of the game as that's what is happening.

Yep agree, never been a fan of VAR from the very beginning of its use overseas, through to the Women's World Cup and now in the PL.

Always was and is, chasing an impossible goal - decisions that are 100% correct, that 100% agree with.

Absolute nonsense and is ruining the game as a spectacle
City v Spurs & VAR! on 12:29 - Feb 3 with 1814 viewsEastR

agree with all that but as a consequence Sterling should have been booked for the dive?

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

City v Spurs & VAR! on 12:33 - Feb 3 with 1803 viewsPinnerPaul

City v Spurs & VAR! on 12:29 - Feb 3 by EastR

agree with all that but as a consequence Sterling should have been booked for the dive?

Not for me = not every 'No Pen' decision has to be a yellow for a dive.

Arguable of course, which is really my point - VAR adds nothing here - just another opinion and of course the delay.
City v Spurs & VAR! on 12:43 - Feb 3 with 1779 viewspaulparker

How did Sterling not get sent off for the tackle yet the Arsenal lad did against palace a couple of weeks back, it’s horsesh1t this VAR

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

City v Spurs & VAR! on 13:14 - Feb 3 with 1704 viewsQPR_John

VAR was introduced to cover clear and obvious errors by the referee. VAR giving a player offside because he did not cut his toe nail that morning that a referee/assistant missed is not an obvious error. Whereas encroachment at a penalty or keeper off his line is a clear and obvious error but ignored by VAR. Every sport that has introduced technology has successfully included it except football.
Login to get fewer ads

City v Spurs & VAR! on 13:18 - Feb 3 with 1691 viewsPinnerPaul

City v Spurs & VAR! on 13:14 - Feb 3 by QPR_John

VAR was introduced to cover clear and obvious errors by the referee. VAR giving a player offside because he did not cut his toe nail that morning that a referee/assistant missed is not an obvious error. Whereas encroachment at a penalty or keeper off his line is a clear and obvious error but ignored by VAR. Every sport that has introduced technology has successfully included it except football.

Yep agree John.

This is what I have just posted on Ref Chat

Have to agree. We can argue about the exact wording of the VAR protocols but by any common sense understanding of the English language and using the 'what football expects' argument - you can't come to the conclusion that a 'clear and obvious' error has been made if it takes 2+ mins and multiple viewings to spot something that some haven't seen and half won't agree with. It just becomes another decision to debate/agree or not with. This sense of frustration is added to when a 'clear and obvious' act - Lloris moving before pen kick - is NOT picked up by VAR.
City v Spurs & VAR! on 22:43 - Feb 3 with 1539 viewsStanisgod

City v Spurs & VAR! on 13:18 - Feb 3 by PinnerPaul

Yep agree John.

This is what I have just posted on Ref Chat

Have to agree. We can argue about the exact wording of the VAR protocols but by any common sense understanding of the English language and using the 'what football expects' argument - you can't come to the conclusion that a 'clear and obvious' error has been made if it takes 2+ mins and multiple viewings to spot something that some haven't seen and half won't agree with. It just becomes another decision to debate/agree or not with. This sense of frustration is added to when a 'clear and obvious' act - Lloris moving before pen kick - is NOT picked up by VAR.

I don't get it. Does not the lino have ONE job to do at a penalty ie make sure the goalie stays on his line. Why do you need var to check that with a bloke standing yards away.
He's got one effing job.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:22 - Feb 3 with 1511 viewsQPR_John

City v Spurs & VAR! on 22:43 - Feb 3 by Stanisgod

I don't get it. Does not the lino have ONE job to do at a penalty ie make sure the goalie stays on his line. Why do you need var to check that with a bloke standing yards away.
He's got one effing job.

I doubt the FA wanted to introduce VAR as it shows referees are capable of making mistakes so they only use VAR when referees have a good excuse for not spotting the infringement. Nobody can criticise a referee because a player was offside by a toenail hence VAR can be used but encroachment is another matter so no VAR.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 12:57]
City v Spurs & VAR! on 00:02 - Feb 4 with 1482 viewsstowmarketrange

He's got one effing job.

I haven’t seen a penalty retaken because the keeper has moved off of his line since paddy Kenny moved an inch against Portsmouth almost 10 years ago.Until VAR came along of course.
Tim kruul saved 2 for Norwich this season against Man Utd when he was way off his line,but because Utd were winning the game easily he was allowed to get away with it.
What happened to consistency?
City v Spurs & VAR! on 00:12 - Feb 4 with 1470 viewstimcocking

Bloody farce. Some old Chinese proverb to do with piss ups and breweries springs to mind.

No surprise. Why do we make such hard work of everything nowadays? Living in a world where common sense is becoming illegal really sucks.
City v Spurs & VAR! on 00:16 - Feb 4 with 1461 viewsstowmarketrange

City v Spurs & VAR! on 00:12 - Feb 4 by timcocking

Bloody farce. Some old Chinese proverb to do with piss ups and breweries springs to mind.

No surprise. Why do we make such hard work of everything nowadays? Living in a world where common sense is becoming illegal really sucks.

The referee who shows common sense is soon demoted to the lower leagues.They want robots don’t you know.
City v Spurs & VAR! on 17:07 - Feb 4 with 1300 viewsPinnerPaul

He's got one effing job.

The problem with THAT is at all non VAR matches with three officials the briefing to ARS will be something like

'At penalties your job is signal ball over the line and watch for goalkeeper movement. I only want obvious movement that impacts on the taker. Put it this way I haven't given a retake in x years'

Obviously the exact words will be slightly different but you get the gist and of course that's backed up by when you all think about all the football you've watched at all levels over the years - how many times have you even seen players appeal for it, let alone GKs being penalised for it?

I bet Smithies moved off his line for most of his pen saves for us!
City v Spurs & VAR! on 17:10 - Feb 4 with 1287 viewsPinnerPaul

City v Spurs & VAR! on 00:12 - Feb 4 by timcocking

See above - pre VAR it WAS common sense to (within reason) let GKs come off line.

No one appeals, crowd/players ecstatic that pen is saved - no one expects a retake, but as others have said VAR makes that approach...……..awkward!

We're back to my OP - VAR? - Get rid!
City v Spurs & VAR! on 17:15 - Feb 4 with 1281 viewsNewhopphoops

"The comparisons with 19th century Christianity are stark. Is football dead?"

Top top thread.
City v Spurs & VAR! on 20:32 - Feb 4 with 1178 viewsdaveB

VAR has been an absolute disaster, the way the Premier league have used the technology has been absolutely woeful. It could work but not in the current form.

That Spurs game on Sunday waiting 2 mins for the penalty was absolute bollox, as soon as VAR wants a second look they should have stopped the game. In the time it took Mike Dean could have run to the monitor had a look himself and decided. I know a few people who were at the game and they had no idea what was going on or why a penalty was given until they got home.
City v Spurs & VAR! on 00:32 - Feb 5 with 1132 viewsLoftgirl

City v Spurs & VAR! on 20:32 - Feb 4 by daveB

VAR has been an absolute disaster, the way the Premier league have used the technology has been absolutely woeful. It could work but not in the current form.

That Spurs game on Sunday waiting 2 mins for the penalty was absolute bollox, as soon as VAR wants a second look they should have stopped the game. In the time it took Mike Dean could have run to the monitor had a look himself and decided. I know a few people who were at the game and they had no idea what was going on or why a penalty was given until they got home.

I'm dead against VAR, but I must admit here in Oz it is used very well. Pretty seemless, and barely impacts on the game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024