Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just an Idea — Football League format. 11:52 - Feb 3 with 2151 viewsToast_R

Could you not re-do the football league and have an up to date version of the old format.
Have a Southern League and a northern league and play each other 4 times?

Would you miss trips to Middlesboro, Blackburn and Preston or any on those northern places?
Would this be better for the environment and costs to fans and clubs or is it far too radical and dull?
Any particular reason this system was abolished in the late 50s?

Example being...

Southern

WBA
Fulham
Brentford
Bristol City
Swansea
Millwall
Cardiff
Reading
QPR
Birmingham
Charlton
Luton

Northern

Leeds
Notts Forest
Preston
Blackburn
Sheff Wed
Derby
Hull
Middlesboro
Huddersfield
Stoke
Barnsley
Wigan

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 13:00 - Feb 3 with 2035 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

How abouts we just play Welsh teams?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 14:03 - Feb 3 with 1954 viewspeejaybee

If we had that system I would go to every game Home and Away Southern League
Value For Money.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 14:06 - Feb 3 with 1947 viewsWokingR

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 14:03 - Feb 3 by peejaybee

If we had that system I would go to every game Home and Away Southern League
Value For Money.

I'm all for this
And once it's done we can build a second and more southerly version of Hadrians wall, just north of the top of the M25.
Just an Idea — Football League format. on 14:59 - Feb 3 with 1878 viewsCamberleyR

The Third North & South was scrapped purely because the economic reasons for introducing the regionalised divisions in the 20s was less apparent by the boom years (in economic terms) of the late 50s.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 16:24 - Feb 3 with 1790 viewsloftboy

I have a better idea, scrap promotion to the PL, let the six or so clubs in the championship join the PL so they can have two divisions, introduce a sensible salary cap for the rest of us and play in a competition on a level playing field.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 16:29 - Feb 3 with 1768 viewsPinnerPaul

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 14:59 - Feb 3 by CamberleyR

The Third North & South was scrapped purely because the economic reasons for introducing the regionalised divisions in the 20s was less apparent by the boom years (in economic terms) of the late 50s.

Road building and better transport - both vehicles and infrastructure - must also have had a part to play?
Just an Idea — Football League format. on 17:17 - Feb 3 with 1717 viewsQPR_John

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 16:24 - Feb 3 by loftboy

I have a better idea, scrap promotion to the PL, let the six or so clubs in the championship join the PL so they can have two divisions, introduce a sensible salary cap for the rest of us and play in a competition on a level playing field.

Who are "the six or so clubs"
Just an Idea — Football League format. on 17:24 - Feb 3 with 1698 viewsloftboy

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 17:17 - Feb 3 by QPR_John

Who are "the six or so clubs"

The ones that are breaking the bank to get to th eland it milk and honey, it wasn’t a precise guess but I would say
Leeds
WBA
Forest
Derby
Wednesday
Possibly Stoke

Controversial I know but I can’t see any of those clubs accepting not getting the chance to play in the PL. or would they comply with a salary cap.
Alternitaly promote those that finished top 6 but offer the clubs a chance to stay and offer their place to the next highest. Not going to happen in a million years but hey ho
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 17:28]

Login to get fewer ads

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 18:05 - Feb 3 with 1673 viewsLunarJetman

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 17:24 - Feb 3 by loftboy

The ones that are breaking the bank to get to th eland it milk and honey, it wasn’t a precise guess but I would say
Leeds
WBA
Forest
Derby
Wednesday
Possibly Stoke

Controversial I know but I can’t see any of those clubs accepting not getting the chance to play in the PL. or would they comply with a salary cap.
Alternitaly promote those that finished top 6 but offer the clubs a chance to stay and offer their place to the next highest. Not going to happen in a million years but hey ho
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 17:28]

What if Stoke go down? Would you give them special dispensation and have them raised from League One to the Premier League?
Just an Idea — Football League format. on 18:27 - Feb 3 with 1651 viewsloftboy

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 18:05 - Feb 3 by LunarJetman

What if Stoke go down? Would you give them special dispensation and have them raised from League One to the Premier League?

No idea, I haven’t got to the planning stage yet!!

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 18:51 - Feb 3 with 1602 viewsBoston

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 16:29 - Feb 3 by PinnerPaul

Road building and better transport - both vehicles and infrastructure - must also have had a part to play?

...etc etc.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 19:46 - Feb 3 with 1537 viewsdaveB

how does promotion work with this? Champions go up and playoff winners of North and South meet?

It's a nice idea but think it's a bit of a non starter
Just an Idea — Football League format. on 19:50 - Feb 3 with 1526 viewsWatford_Ranger

Though the total miles travelled goes down it will go up for some clubs near the divide. Think they had this issue in the Conference N/S where it just so happened teams in Essex or something ended up being North due to the spread of teams.
Just an Idea — Football League format. on 19:51 - Feb 3 with 1521 viewsthemodfather

I can see this for leagues 1 and 2, make the championship a PL2, 2 up auto and one thru p/offs and 3 down.
make the league cup for league teams ( no PL sides)
Just an Idea — Football League format. on 20:28 - Feb 3 with 1492 viewsloftus77

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 14:06 - Feb 3 by WokingR

I'm all for this
And once it's done we can build a second and more southerly version of Hadrians wall, just north of the top of the M25.

....and then stay in (rejoin) the EU.

I'm outta here....
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 20:29]
Just an Idea — Football League format. on 20:44 - Feb 3 with 1466 viewsDavieQPR

The problem before was when a Southern team went up and a Northern team went down and vice versa ( not the gay Italian) the following year. A Midlands club was changing division every year.
Just an Idea — Football League format. on 20:47 - Feb 3 with 1445 viewsBoston

So, it's PL, then four regional leagues?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 21:13 - Feb 3 with 1412 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Can we get Leeds into the South? They love it down here.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 23:22 - Feb 3 with 1336 viewsToast_R

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 19:46 - Feb 3 by daveB

how does promotion work with this? Champions go up and playoff winners of North and South meet?

It's a nice idea but think it's a bit of a non starter

I think you'd go top team from North and South go up automatic and then 2nd in North play third in South and vice versa in play-off semi finals with the winners meeting at Wembley in the final.

I get the Midlands teams might be worse off traveling south but with HS2 in a few years, no probs.
Just an Idea — Football League format. on 11:20 - Feb 4 with 1218 viewsCamberleyR

It's a nice idea in theory but it doesn't really address the issue of the Championship being a real slog, you're still only playing two fewer games than you do now even though you'd be travelling less for away games. In an ideal world the Championship would be playing 38 games in a twenty team division or at a push the old 42 games with twenty two teams.

A shorter season with fewer teams in the division than currently would eliminate nearly all those long midweek away trips which I'm sure the players hate. Not sure how this would be achieved though without reducing the 72 teams currently in the football league. Maybe increase the number and have four divisions of twenty by introducing eight teams from the National League?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Just an Idea — Football League format. on 11:34 - Feb 4 with 1173 viewsPhildo

Not sure doubling the amount of London derbies would be a great strategic move for us though?
Just an Idea — Football League format. on 11:35 - Feb 4 with 1172 viewstimcocking

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024