Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) 13:19 - Feb 10 with 3719 viewsKonk

NB. This post contains information that you would glean from reading any review of the film, 'Parasite', but nothing more than that. For instance, I don't mention that the dog dies in the end (there is no dog).

Because I bleed culture, I went along to see 'Parasite' on Friday afternoon. It's really very good and I would thoroughly recommend going to see it. After watching the film, I read quite a few reviews, suggesting that the work was amongst other things, a statement on growing inequality within South Korean society and also South Korea's relationship with the DPRK.

As most of you know, If commitments allow, I usually spend Oscars night at Donatella Versace's Oscars party in Malibu (I originally attended way back in 1998 as Karl Lagerfeld's +1. RIP Karl). This year was no different and on Friday evening, I flew out to LA. On the flight, I sat mulling over 'Parasite', trying to figure out exactly what it's writer and director, Bong Joon-ho was trying to say. At Donatella's soiree, I was lucky enough to find myself sat next to Joon-ho, so I asked him whether he would indulge me as I offered my theory on the true meaning of his masterpiece.

Me: "Right, I think this all began in West London in 2011...am I right?"
BJh (a big smile spreading across his face): "Go on..."
Me: "Okay, so the Kim family - that's the Mark Hughes Collective, right?"
BJh: "Go on..."
Me: "In your film, the son, Ki-woo - Mark Hughes - gets a job as an English Tutor with a wealthy family - the Parks. The Parks are QPR. Ki-woo/Mark Hughes then engineers the dismissal of existing members of staff, before suggesting that the newly vacant roles could be filled my members of his family/entourage. Ki-woo's mother, father and sister are actually Mark Bowen, Glynn Hodges, Eddie Nedweski and Kia Joorabchian, aren't they?
BJh: "Very good - I'm impressed..."
Me: "And the naïve, rich, easily-manipulated mother and wife; that's Tony Fernandes, isn't it?"

At this point, BJh bowed.

"And the symbolism of the stairs", I continued, "We see the Park family/QPR walking-up the stairs all the time as they enter their beautiful home - this symbolises QPR's ambitions to compete at the top of the Premier League. In contrast, we see the Kim family descending the stairs to get to their semi-basement home - this symbolises Mark Hughes leading QPR to relegation. The Park's stunning home is Tony Fernandes's 40,000 stadium Old Oak Common; the Kim's cramped, dilapidated, but atmospheric living quarters are Loftus Road. Oh, and the toilet that has raw sewage erupting from it during the storm - that's Tony Fernandes's Twitter feed, isn't it? That's as far as I've got, although I suspect the housekeeper is probably Neil Warnock."

To cut a long story short, my theory was bang-on. It turns out that after Park Ji-sung signed for Rangers, BJh was one of the many South Koreans who took an interest in the club's fortunes, history and off-field business. His next film's about Big Dan Burn. Should be a another cracker.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2020 13:33]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 13:30 - Feb 10 with 3650 viewshubble

Very good, I'll even forgive you the misplaced apostrophe in paragraph 3.
'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 13:38 - Feb 10 with 3616 viewsMick_S

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 13:30 - Feb 10 by hubble

That's code, Hud. There's something he's not telling us.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 13:40 - Feb 10 with 3607 viewsKonk

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 13:30 - Feb 10 by hubble

Sorry about that. I can't edit it now either because then your post wouldn't make any sense.

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 13:52 - Feb 10 with 3559 viewsMick_S

I think Konk may have "outed" himself.

On the right.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 13:56 - Feb 10 with 3529 viewsNewhopphoops

Hi Konk, how's Choupette doing?
'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 14:03 - Feb 10 with 3511 viewsKonk

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 13:56 - Feb 10 by Newhopphoops

Hi Konk, how's Choupette doing?

To be honest, I've not seen her in ages, because she was never really that into the football and only ever used to go because Karl was going. Got a nice card from her at Christmas - she's keeping busy, got her finger in quite a few pies in terms of investments and is doing two afternoons a week at Chanel. But she misses Karl's lap dreadfully. We all do. Thanks for asking, mate. RIP Karl.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2020 14:15]

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 14:09 - Feb 10 with 3482 viewsNewhopphoops

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 14:03 - Feb 10 by Konk

To be honest, I've not seen her in ages, because she was never really that into the football and only ever used to go because Karl was going. Got a nice card from her at Christmas - she's keeping busy, got her finger in quite a few pies in terms of investments and is doing two afternoons a week at Chanel. But she misses Karl's lap dreadfully. We all do. Thanks for asking, mate. RIP Karl.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2020 14:15]

No Karl no party. Hang in there...
'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 17:54 - Feb 10 with 3183 viewsPunteR

Just seen that film won best film at the Oscars . That's not very QPR.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 20:41 - Feb 10 with 3017 viewsaston_hoop

This Parasite, is it worth watching on the big screen then? full cinema experience? I notice its available to watch on a flight I'm on in a couple of weeks...is it going to be completely wasted that way?
[Post edited 10 Feb 2020 20:42]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 20:59 - Feb 10 with 2984 viewsPunteR

Tbh honest ive never even heard of the film till today

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 21:08 - Feb 10 with 2973 viewsBucksRanger

Snowpiercer, one of his earlier films has just started on Film 4.
'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 21:25 - Feb 10 with 2945 viewsMrSheen

Coming soon...Parasite 2, the Rosie years.
'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 23:54 - Feb 10 with 2864 viewstimcocking

I've a brother who lives in Malibu.
'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 06:47 - Feb 11 with 2774 viewsKonk

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 20:41 - Feb 10 by aston_hoop

This Parasite, is it worth watching on the big screen then? full cinema experience? I notice its available to watch on a flight I'm on in a couple of weeks...is it going to be completely wasted that way?
[Post edited 10 Feb 2020 20:42]

It will be fine on a small screen, but as with any film worth watching, I'd see if at the cinema if you get the chance. Might not be for everyone, but I thought it was excellent.

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 07:14 - Feb 11 with 2761 viewsOutWestR

'Parasite' critique with surprising links to W12 (No spoilers) on 06:47 - Feb 11 by Konk

It will be fine on a small screen, but as with any film worth watching, I'd see if at the cinema if you get the chance. Might not be for everyone, but I thought it was excellent.

I agree, any film worth watching is better on a big screen, especially when compared to the screens you get on a plane.

As Konk said, not for everyone, but Korean cinema has been consistently good for many years now. As well as some of Bong’s earlier films (in particular Mother and The Host), Burning by Lee Chang-dong that came out last year is also worth watching.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024