Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday 11:25 - Feb 11 with 5344 viewsBenSummer

https://bensummerwriting.wordpress.com/2020/02/10/shocker-qpr-twitter-is-overrea

Sure a lot of you will disagree and interesting to hear your thoughts! Still new to this sports writing lark and certainly nowhere near the untouchable standards of Mr Whittingham
Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 11:31 - Feb 11 with 4194 viewsMick_S

That made me go all positive. Stop it, man.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 11:38 - Feb 11 with 4173 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Nice sensible article. Keep doing this.

Mr Whittingham is far too depressing for my tastes. Most of the time he seems to hate football, the TV companies, the executives, the authorities, the finances and even the footballers. Reality can be boring but your take on things seems much nearer how things are.
Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 11:40 - Feb 11 with 4167 viewsNorthernr

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 11:38 - Feb 11 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Mr Whittingham is far too depressing for my tastes. Most of the time he seems to hate football, the TV companies, the executives, the authorities, the finances and even the footballers. Reality can be boring but your take on things seems much nearer how things are.

"seems to".

Fck me I'm going to have to double down.
Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 11:44 - Feb 11 with 4147 viewsBenSummer

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 11:38 - Feb 11 by Spaghetti_Hoops

I'll only continue to heap praise on him mainly because I've put my blog on my very young CV so he goes on all the sweary rants that I'm too scared to!
Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 13:09 - Feb 11 with 4024 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Really enjoyed that.

Agree with most of your positivity, but we were gutless from 55mins onwards. And we only function well when we work hard.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 13:22 - Feb 11 with 3969 viewsslmrstid

If I may leap to the defence, one of the reasons I read this QPR website, and this QPR website only (I hardly ever look at the official one to be honest...) is for Clive's writing, which I find brilliant.

And grumpy, and miserable, yes undoubtedly, but it captures a lot of the grumpiness and miserableness I often feel about football but articulated in a brilliant, and sometimes hilarious way. And its brutally honest, but in a non-knee jerky Twitter/Arsenal TV type way.

And in fairness, the odd occasions Clive is happy (because QPR are winning etc) the writing is just as good and funny. The Cardiff match report a recent highlight.

Clive is the Victor Meldrew of QPR and by God sir, never change.

Re your blog Ben, keep up the good work! I've always wanted to blog various bits myself,, either QPR or running (my other great passion...) related but always put off on the basis of thinking "Who's really interested in what tripe I have to say..." - that's just my own insecurities!
Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 13:24 - Feb 11 with 3964 viewsBenSummer

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 13:22 - Feb 11 by slmrstid

If I may leap to the defence, one of the reasons I read this QPR website, and this QPR website only (I hardly ever look at the official one to be honest...) is for Clive's writing, which I find brilliant.

And grumpy, and miserable, yes undoubtedly, but it captures a lot of the grumpiness and miserableness I often feel about football but articulated in a brilliant, and sometimes hilarious way. And its brutally honest, but in a non-knee jerky Twitter/Arsenal TV type way.

And in fairness, the odd occasions Clive is happy (because QPR are winning etc) the writing is just as good and funny. The Cardiff match report a recent highlight.

Re your blog Ben, keep up the good work! I've always wanted to blog various bits myself,, either QPR or running (my other great passion...) related but always put off on the basis of thinking "Who's really interested in what tripe I have to say..." - that's just my own insecurities!

Agree on this all and would really encourage you to take up the blogging! I've found that I've written some stuff that nobody wants to read - shocking, nobody likes Coldplay album reviews? - but it's still vindicating to write. And since Rs supporters are a generally lovely lot, the couple of pieces I've posted on here have done pretty nicely :)
Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 13:25 - Feb 11 with 3958 viewsNed_Kennedys

Nice article but if the club decide that a deal involving swapping Eze for Amos and a few million is a good idea then we might as well give up now.
Login to get fewer ads

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 13:40 - Feb 11 with 3908 viewsderbyhoop

Good article and very mature from somebody who still has youth on his side. As opposed to us grizzled old soaks.
The aim this year was to stay up while slashing the budget. Unless the wheels come off big time, that's what we will do. We had a much better first half than anybody would have predicted at the end of July. Perhaps that has made us more expectant than realistic.

And it doesn't take much to bring out the Twitterati and their collective misery and whinging.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 13:41 - Feb 11 with 3903 viewsAntti_Heinola

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 13:22 - Feb 11 by slmrstid

Good post.
For me, Clive is my favourite football writer full stop. People talk about his grumpiness, but it's done with such wit and humour, allied to realism and understanding, then paired with soaring prose on those occasions when we really do play well, that I barely notice it. I suppose 'grumpy' is always seen as a slightly comical trait - sort of wilfully refusing to enjoy the lighter side. But Clive does enjoy the lighter side, and he finds humour even in the worst mistakes/moments and is able to see beyond his own anger when things are getting difficult.

What I can't bear is the profound, constant negativity from other posters who are the first on here when we lose and surprisingly scarce when we win. Any humour they do attempt tends to be vitriolic nastiness or name-calling, and they're simply unable to take a view beyond a kind of 'end of the world' feeling. Can't understand those types - how do you exist like that? Good to see Ben is not one of them - good article!

Bare bones.

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 15:33 - Feb 11 with 3744 viewsWestbourneR

Think that's very unfair. For my money Clive is a funny and talented writer.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 15:43 - Feb 11 with 3715 viewsTacticalR

Northernr tells it like it is.

Air hostess clique

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 16:15 - Feb 11 with 3674 viewsDorse

Just went on Twitter to vent my outrage about this thread. So far 8239 likes.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 16:21 - Feb 11 with 3661 viewsBenSummer

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 16:15 - Feb 11 by Dorse

Just went on Twitter to vent my outrage about this thread. So far 8239 likes.

QPR podcaster posts sensible take about club finances: 10 likes
Fan rants about how Warburton is overrated: 40 likes, 30 retweets
Person who's never been to a game tweets that they're cancelling season ticket: 10k likes, 10k retweets, knighthood, start against Swansea...
Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 23:47 - Feb 11 with 3464 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 16:21 - Feb 11 by BenSummer

QPR podcaster posts sensible take about club finances: 10 likes
Fan rants about how Warburton is overrated: 40 likes, 30 retweets
Person who's never been to a game tweets that they're cancelling season ticket: 10k likes, 10k retweets, knighthood, start against Swansea...

Exactly.

Mr Whittingham has to make a living apparently and you don't do that by writing sensible balanced reports. Something to remember if you turn pro. Heaven forbid.
Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 07:02 - Feb 12 with 3362 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Clive's writing is among the very best sports writing I've ever read.

Ans that's not me being sycophantic. if I didn't like it, I would be silent.

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday (n/t) on 07:10 - Feb 12 with 3350 viewsdistortR

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 07:02 - Feb 12 by BrianMcCarthy

Clive's writing is among the very best sports writing I've ever read.

Ans that's not me being sycophantic. if I didn't like it, I would be silent.

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday ( on 07:11 - Feb 12 with 3349 viewsdistortR

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday (n/t) on 07:10 - Feb 12 by distortR

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday ( on 07:12 - Feb 12 with 3338 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday ( on 07:11 - Feb 12 by distortR

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 08:18 - Feb 12 with 3259 viewsBenSummer

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 23:47 - Feb 11 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Exactly.

Mr Whittingham has to make a living apparently and you don't do that by writing sensible balanced reports. Something to remember if you turn pro. Heaven forbid.

Not *exactly* the point I was making... Clive's writing is scathing but well-directed. Quite rare that I disagree with him, my article/comments have been aimed at the crowd who just get angry at the club for the sake of it
Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 08:33 - Feb 12 with 3235 viewsNorthernr

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 23:47 - Feb 11 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Exactly.

Ah do you know what fck it I'm not rising to that.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 08:48 - Feb 12 with 3210 viewsenfieldargh

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 08:33 - Feb 12 by Northernr

Ah do you know what fck it I'm not rising to that.

This post has been edited by an administrator

You do get perks Clive
I once bought you 2 papadoms

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 08:51 - Feb 12 with 3199 viewsNorthernr

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 08:48 - Feb 12 by enfieldargh

You do get perks Clive
I once bought you 2 papadoms

Enabler.
Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 08:51 - Feb 12 with 3193 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 08:18 - Feb 12 by BenSummer

Not *exactly* the point I was making... Clive's writing is scathing but well-directed. Quite rare that I disagree with him, my article/comments have been aimed at the crowd who just get angry at the club for the sake of it

Mine was a general comment, Ben, certainly not a criticism of you.

Keep up the blogging!

Shocker: QPR Twitter has got it wrong again. Some silver linings from Saturday on 09:04 - Feb 12 with 3173 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Exactly.

The real life comparison to this comment is sitting in a pub having a beer while telling the Landlord his wallpaper is shit.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024