Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Future sales. 15:19 - Feb 11 with 1152 viewsconnell10

Just throwing a question out there, when we eventually sell Eze or one of our other young talents do you think the money we get will just be used to offset ffp or will it be used to strengthen the squad?
[Post edited 11 Feb 2020 15:25]

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Future sales. on 15:27 - Feb 11 with 1111 viewssmegma

No idea. No one does.
Future sales. on 15:27 - Feb 11 with 1106 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I think it will depend on how much we get mate.

If North of £10m then some will be used for re-investing I would have thought. We do need to keep within this £39m loss over three seasons on a rolling basis.
Future sales. on 15:31 - Feb 11 with 1098 viewsNorthernr

Depends how much we get and how far down the wage bill has come. Ask again after the next set of accounts are published (which is usually at this time of the year).
Future sales. on 15:37 - Feb 11 with 1076 viewsdanehoop

I think they will certainly look to strengthen the squad - but at the sametime look to ensure we have a sustainable financial position in place.

I think we will continue to see a more disciplined approach to our business. We will see increasingly fewer players on salaries of £10K a week plus, with the expectation of most being 20-50% below that. The challenge for the club is that most other clubs in the championship will be looking to do the same thing (and many can pay higher wages as they have greater income streams than us). So we will see younger/inexperienced players or those who are less developed or are less certain to be successful at this level. So more punts/higher risks of failiure (I think we are seeing this already to be honest). If a player is too highly priced in terms of fees and/or expected salaries, we are seeing us walk away rather than get sentimental and through an extra £M at the problem.

We as fans in turn will need to temper our expectations a little and accept that not every player will work out. Younger players will very much need time to settle in and encouragement to develop towards their potential. This will take time to get right, but we will emerge stronger over the next couple of years if we work at it (just look at Brentford).

Never knowingly understood

Future sales. on 15:44 - Feb 11 with 1059 viewssmegma

Future sales. on 15:37 - Feb 11 by danehoop

I think they will certainly look to strengthen the squad - but at the sametime look to ensure we have a sustainable financial position in place.

I think we will continue to see a more disciplined approach to our business. We will see increasingly fewer players on salaries of £10K a week plus, with the expectation of most being 20-50% below that. The challenge for the club is that most other clubs in the championship will be looking to do the same thing (and many can pay higher wages as they have greater income streams than us). So we will see younger/inexperienced players or those who are less developed or are less certain to be successful at this level. So more punts/higher risks of failiure (I think we are seeing this already to be honest). If a player is too highly priced in terms of fees and/or expected salaries, we are seeing us walk away rather than get sentimental and through an extra £M at the problem.

We as fans in turn will need to temper our expectations a little and accept that not every player will work out. Younger players will very much need time to settle in and encouragement to develop towards their potential. This will take time to get right, but we will emerge stronger over the next couple of years if we work at it (just look at Brentford).

"We as fans"..... not all of us have to adjust our expectations. Twitter trolls will have a field day whatever happens. I remember a year ago with some of our 'fans' reckoning Freeman was worth £24m.
Future sales. on 15:55 - Feb 11 with 1031 viewsdaveB

bit of both would be my guess
Future sales. on 15:57 - Feb 11 with 1026 viewspaulparker

Depends on the board

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Future sales. on 16:26 - Feb 11 with 970 viewsconnell10

I'm just worried that all the money we bring in will be used to offset FFP which in my opinion is a road to oblivion .

Login to get fewer ads

Future sales. on 17:00 - Feb 11 with 908 viewsngbqpr

Future sales. on 16:26 - Feb 11 by connell10

I'm just worried that all the money we bring in will be used to offset FFP which in my opinion is a road to oblivion .

Surely falling foul of FFP again is a road to oblivion?

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Future sales. on 17:01 - Feb 11 with 905 viewsNorthernr

Future sales. on 16:26 - Feb 11 by connell10

Well if it is, and we don't do it, then we breach FFP, which would mean selling the players anyway, but at vastly reduced rates on the buyers' terms.

The problem is we historically, and up to the last set of accounts still, commit too much money to wages for the income we bring in. The only way out is to get the wage bill to the sort of level it should be at for a club of our income under the rules, which they have steadily been doing. While the wage bill remains too high, money from sales will be used to keep losses within the FFP boundaries.
Future sales. on 17:06 - Feb 11 with 884 viewsconnell10

Future sales. on 17:00 - Feb 11 by ngbqpr

Surely falling foul of FFP again is a road to oblivion?

But if we sell all our best players and don't replace them then surely as night follows day we will go down eventually! I suppose we have to some how strike a happy medium , which is gonna be tricky!

Future sales. on 17:21 - Feb 11 with 851 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Future sales. on 17:06 - Feb 11 by connell10

But if we sell all our best players and don't replace them then surely as night follows day we will go down eventually! I suppose we have to some how strike a happy medium , which is gonna be tricky!

Which is what we're trying to do, to be fair, and we can see that it's working better in the last couple of windows.

The test will come when we sell big, as you say.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Future sales. on 17:26 - Feb 11 with 839 viewsbosh67

I am guessing that if we get £20m for Eze that the club will spend about £2-3m on bringing in a crop of young players and one or two who will be ready to play.

The other £17-18m will probably go back to Airbus.

... Too soon?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Future sales. on 17:39 - Feb 11 with 815 viewsPunteR

Future sales. on 15:44 - Feb 11 by smegma

"We as fans"..... not all of us have to adjust our expectations. Twitter trolls will have a field day whatever happens. I remember a year ago with some of our 'fans' reckoning Freeman was worth £24m.

Taking FFP out of the equation imagine where we would be if we kept Smithies, Robinson, Freeman, Wells, Wzsolek... etc . Probably on course to get a nice promotion paycheck worth more than the money we got for all of those players put together and what we paid in wages possibly?.
Completely pie in the sky though i know.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Future sales. on 17:40 - Feb 11 with 812 viewsNorthernr

Future sales. on 17:39 - Feb 11 by PunteR

Taking FFP out of the equation imagine where we would be if we kept Smithies, Robinson, Freeman, Wells, Wzsolek... etc . Probably on course to get a nice promotion paycheck worth more than the money we got for all of those players put together and what we paid in wages possibly?.
Completely pie in the sky though i know.

Do you reckon? We've had all of those players and we've been 16th for four years.
Future sales. on 17:44 - Feb 11 with 800 viewsPunteR

Future sales. on 17:40 - Feb 11 by Northernr

Do you reckon? We've had all of those players and we've been 16th for four years.

With the players and manager we have now.
In other words imagine if we just kept our best players over the last few years and built a team to properly compete for a title.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Future sales. on 19:35 - Feb 11 with 685 viewsThe_Beast1976

Future sales. on 17:06 - Feb 11 by connell10

"But if we sell all our best players and don't replace them then surely as night follows day we will go down eventually"

The true purpose of FFP, keep clubs like us down where we belong
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024