Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hugill and Les 09:36 - Feb 12 with 2638 viewsbosh67

Jordan gets into all the right places and makes all the right movement but he seems to have a habit of meeting the ball too soon. I am sure Les has had a few words with him but you get the feeling if the two of them went onto a training field and Les showed him how to wait that split second longer and get his knee over the ball that he would suddenly start converting more than he misses. He does seem to be going through a period of snatching at things a bit and it's a shame because he seems to be on the end of a lot and he seems to lose his marker in the process. I wonder if anyone has put a bit of an arm around him to try and settle the instinct to hit the ball that fraction too soon?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Hugill and Les on 09:41 - Feb 12 with 2113 viewsWokingR

He reminded me a bit of Conor Washington last night.
Plenty of hard work, running and effort, but always just that fraction away from being in the position he needed to be.
Hugill and Les on 09:56 - Feb 12 with 2052 viewsloftboy

If he converted all his chances he would still be at the Hammers

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Hugill and Les on 10:05 - Feb 12 with 2024 viewsWestbourneR

Hugill and Les on 09:41 - Feb 12 by WokingR

He reminded me a bit of Conor Washington last night.
Plenty of hard work, running and effort, but always just that fraction away from being in the position he needed to be.

Hugill is 8000 times better than Washington.

If you see his finishes early on in season - particularly when he rounded the keeper at Millwall or Stoke - or was it Wednesday? He looked composed anyway.

Since then he was jostled out of the team by the formation and Wells and he lost his groove and his confidence. I think there is a very able player in there.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 10:12]

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Hugill and Les on 10:09 - Feb 12 with 2003 viewsLunarJetman

Hugill and Les on 10:05 - Feb 12 by WestbourneR

Hugill is 8000 times better than Washington.

If you see his finishes early on in season - particularly when he rounded the keeper at Millwall or Stoke - or was it Wednesday? He looked composed anyway.

Since then he was jostled out of the team by the formation and Wells and he lost his groove and his confidence. I think there is a very able player in there.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 10:12]

Lost his grove? To Robin Hood?
Hugill and Les on 10:13 - Feb 12 with 1991 viewsWestbourneR

Hugill and Les on 10:09 - Feb 12 by LunarJetman

Lost his grove? To Robin Hood?

I'm glad that's the main thing you took from the post...

Hugill and Les on 10:27 - Feb 12 with 1930 viewsNW5Hoop

I suspect Hugill and everyone who has ever coached him understands that his finishing isn't always great. And I suspect loads of coaches have worked with him on improving it. The fact that he still isn't a top-level finisher suggests to me not that he needs some more coaching, but that he's just not a top-level finisher. Something he holds in common with the vast majority of strikers in football at every level. It is what it is.
Hugill and Les on 10:34 - Feb 12 with 1888 viewsLblock

I'm a fan of Hughey - always have been.

Agree he's going through a patch of slashing at things, probably over keen to score.
I also agree I don't think you can coach natural finishing because... well... it's natural aint it?

The sobering thought is that he was an eight million pound striker 16 months ago.

My main thing with Hugill is I just hope he can stay fit for the rest of the campaign because if he doesnt we are fcukd

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Hugill and Les on 10:46 - Feb 12 with 1844 viewsericgen34

I like him. I thought he was against a good player last night. I was impressed by Guehi overall
Login to get fewer ads

Hugill and Les on 11:05 - Feb 12 with 1782 viewsSir_Chops

Hugill only got around 1 in 5 for Preston, to be fair to him. QPR have already improved that to approx. 1 in 3. And that would be fine if he had someone else scoring goals next to him, but QPR can't rely on him alone.

I'm sure plenty will disagree with me, but given the lack of goals in February would it really hurt to put an arm around Oteh, have a few words with him and see what he can do with the same chances? At least for the first 60 mins of a game? That would, after all, be investing in one of our own.
Hugill and Les on 11:15 - Feb 12 with 1751 viewsWestbourneR

I'd love to be wrong but all the evidence to date suggests that Oteh isn't good enough.

Hugill and Les on 11:21 - Feb 12 with 1724 viewsdaveB

Hugill and Les on 11:15 - Feb 12 by WestbourneR

I'd love to be wrong but all the evidence to date suggests that Oteh isn't good enough.

He's not really had a chance with us so impossible to know really, loan moves can offer an indication but until he gets a few games for us hard to write him off or get too excited about him, same with Paul Smyth and Shodipo.
Hugill and Les on 11:24 - Feb 12 with 1719 viewsTheChef

Hugill and Les on 11:21 - Feb 12 by daveB

He's not really had a chance with us so impossible to know really, loan moves can offer an indication but until he gets a few games for us hard to write him off or get too excited about him, same with Paul Smyth and Shodipo.

Agreed, and given the number of chances we create, who knows he might be the man to put them away?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Hugill and Les on 12:05 - Feb 12 with 1599 viewsWestbourneR

Hugill and Les on 11:21 - Feb 12 by daveB

TBF Shodipo was our stand out player for a few months under JFH before he got injured so he's actually done it in the Championship.

Oteh has shineed a goal in once.

I don't think they're currently comparable.

Paul Smyth - I agree - same boat as Oteh but he has shown quite a bit more when he has played than Oteh.

Hugill and Les on 12:48 - Feb 12 with 1492 viewsheadhoops

Hugill is an 'old fashioned' target man - his hold up play is usually pretty decent, several times last night he held off Guidh? (their best player IMO) but hardly had loads of options to play it to in midfield. He is a handful and wins a lot in the air, pity MOM Pugh never made a cross all night. He is the best we have so anything that the staff can do to help him is worth a shout. Personally I would play Chair ahead of Pugh everytime and ask him and Eze to get close to Hugill and pick up the knockdowns.
Hugill does not strike me as a confidence player and by default not one who gets down if he goes on a barren spell - always seems up for the game.
We will be in a much worse place if he is injured or suspended.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Hugill and Les on 12:55 - Feb 12 with 1461 viewsstevec

Hugill and Les on 12:05 - Feb 12 by WestbourneR

TBF Shodipo was our stand out player for a few months under JFH before he got injured so he's actually done it in the Championship.

Oteh has shineed a goal in once.

I don't think they're currently comparable.

Paul Smyth - I agree - same boat as Oteh but he has shown quite a bit more when he has played than Oteh.

Do we harvest our young players from some form of stunted growth factory?

There seems to be an obsession with small people at LR, even the bloody seats are built to purge the club of anyone over six foot.
Hugill and Les on 13:10 - Feb 12 with 1416 viewsmcqpr10

He's an old school target man, takes a battering from defenders and keeps them occupied. Is effective in this league, and brings others in to the game.

Never been a prolific striker, and the start of the season was a bit of a purple patch. Remember he and Wells are probably on 30k and cost £15 million between the pair of them. This is our financial reality now. Loans and rough diamonds. Can't go and splash 10 million on austin and phillips like we did in 2013.
Hugill and Les on 13:36 - Feb 12 with 1336 viewsnix

Hugill and Les on 12:55 - Feb 12 by stevec

Do we harvest our young players from some form of stunted growth factory?

There seems to be an obsession with small people at LR, even the bloody seats are built to purge the club of anyone over six foot.

I suspect that's because you're more likely to get undiscovered bargains from released players who are smaller. Lots of players anecdotally are released for being too small by the bigger clubs, Charlie Austin being one early in his career. I think they give the benefit of the doubt to bigger, more athletic looking players, who they think they can coach into being better technically.
Hugill and Les on 13:46 - Feb 12 with 1294 viewsgazza1

Hugill is pretty limited indeed.......puts a shift in and puts himself around, he is all what we can afford atm but to move forward we need a lot better.
Hugill and Les on 14:06 - Feb 12 with 1243 viewsYorkRanger

I like Hugill. His work rate and effort was excellent - yes he is having a bit of a lean spell but all strikers do - he has shown that he can be a good finisher.

Frankly where we are as a club we are lucky to have him. As someone else has said if he was banging in goals week in week out he would still be at West Ham.

I'm more worried about the alternatives for that position than I am about Hugill
Hugill and Les on 14:30 - Feb 12 with 1191 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Hugill and Les on 09:56 - Feb 12 by loftboy

If he converted all his chances he would still be at the Hammers

Based on what little I’ve seen of him, I’d say if he did convert all his chances, he’d be at Barcelona!

If he converted just half, then he’d be at the Hammers.

He does neither, that’s why he’s at the Rangers.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Hugill and Les on 14:45 - Feb 12 with 1148 viewsgazza1

We need better.......not sure he is even a Championship CF, maybe just!!.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 14:45]
Hugill and Les on 14:46 - Feb 12 with 1143 viewsWestbourneR

Hugill and Les on 14:45 - Feb 12 by gazza1

We need better.......not sure he is even a Championship CF, maybe just!!.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 14:45]

Come on that's an exaggeration. He's easily a Championship player.

Hugill and Les on 14:57 - Feb 12 with 1126 viewsgazza1

Hugill and Les on 14:46 - Feb 12 by WestbourneR

Come on that's an exaggeration. He's easily a Championship player.

Tough call Westbourne....Wells for sure but Hugill - the jury is out. Misses too many good chances for me - two last night.
Hugill and Les on 15:31 - Feb 12 with 1070 viewsstevec

Hugill and Les on 13:36 - Feb 12 by nix

I suspect that's because you're more likely to get undiscovered bargains from released players who are smaller. Lots of players anecdotally are released for being too small by the bigger clubs, Charlie Austin being one early in his career. I think they give the benefit of the doubt to bigger, more athletic looking players, who they think they can coach into being better technically.

Yeah, that's a fair point, though I was mostly joking.

I recall our under 15 set up in the early 2000's was along the lines of 'if you're not 6 foot and built like Anthony Joshua, you're not coming in'. By the time they got to 18 the club sussed none of them could actually play football and disbanded the project.
Hugill and Les on 15:39 - Feb 12 with 1055 viewsNorthernr

Not to get massively stuck into Hugill because I quite like him - game boy, can be effective, probably going to end up on 15ish goals which is better than most have managed for us - and he's in poor form but doesn't it just further highlight how difficult it is going to be for us to buy a Championship standard striker? Hugill cost £8m and just look at him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024