Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A bit of publicity from the Guardian... 13:38 - Feb 17 with 2875 views1MoreBrightonR

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/feb/17/premier-league-championshi

and that was one of our better defensive displays! :)
A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 13:51 - Feb 17 with 2778 viewsrunningman75

Good little write up though concerned regarding Bright being on the radar of other clubs. His goal was amazing the way he controlled the ball, tricked the defender to turn and scored. If that he been a Premier league goal would be on repeat.
A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 14:05 - Feb 17 with 2743 viewsnix

Thanks for that, really enjoyed it. Pretty good summation of our season so far.
A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 14:14 - Feb 17 with 2710 viewsrsonist

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 13:51 - Feb 17 by runningman75

Good little write up though concerned regarding Bright being on the radar of other clubs. His goal was amazing the way he controlled the ball, tricked the defender to turn and scored. If that he been a Premier league goal would be on repeat.

Would be far more concerning if our players weren't attracting interest.

Think we also seriously underestimate the breadth of clubs' scouting in general. As with Eze, Bright was no secret long before we signed him - it's always a question of immediate needs and who will devote the time and expense in development.
A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 14:15 - Feb 17 with 2703 viewsWestbourneR

Love that.

Benn absolutely obsessed with Eze from the first game of last season. I even broke my golden rule and got his name on my shirt.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 14:20 - Feb 17 with 2680 viewsWestbourneR

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 14:14 - Feb 17 by rsonist

Would be far more concerning if our players weren't attracting interest.

Think we also seriously underestimate the breadth of clubs' scouting in general. As with Eze, Bright was no secret long before we signed him - it's always a question of immediate needs and who will devote the time and expense in development.

I'm not really sure I get what you're saying.

Are you saying Eze's talent was known about before we picked it up? Because that wasn't the case.

And BOS was relatively unheralded.

He was a Penrice pick and I really think we made a huge mistake allowing Peno to leave the club. He picked up Freeman for us too.

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 14:32 - Feb 17 with 2633 viewsMedwayR

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 14:20 - Feb 17 by WestbourneR

Are you saying Eze's talent was known about before we picked it up? Because that wasn't the case.

He was a Penrice pick and I really think we made a huge mistake allowing Peno to leave the club. He picked up Freeman for us too.

Eze's talent was known hence he spent a lot of time on trial. The difference is we were willing to give him the opportunity and commit time and effort to him whereas others weren't convinced he was worth it.

I agree BOS was unheralded and a brilliant pick by Penrice. However, I don't believe Penrice was ever contracted to the club, I'm pretty sure he was always a consultant so there was little we could do to stop him going elsewhere. Ferdinand had wanted Penrice at the club for a while but the appointment of Holloway got it over the line, once Holloway went it was only a matter of time before Penrice went too unfortunately.

Poll: Who’s better?

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 15:14 - Feb 17 with 2538 viewsnix

Penrice now scouting for Wigan, according to his Linked in profile. Maybe he didn't like the way Holloway was let go. Shame though.
A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 15:40 - Feb 17 with 2456 viewsrsonist

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 14:32 - Feb 17 by MedwayR

Eze's talent was known hence he spent a lot of time on trial. The difference is we were willing to give him the opportunity and commit time and effort to him whereas others weren't convinced he was worth it.

I agree BOS was unheralded and a brilliant pick by Penrice. However, I don't believe Penrice was ever contracted to the club, I'm pretty sure he was always a consultant so there was little we could do to stop him going elsewhere. Ferdinand had wanted Penrice at the club for a while but the appointment of Holloway got it over the line, once Holloway went it was only a matter of time before Penrice went too unfortunately.

Precisely, re Eze.

There were puff pieces about BOS being scouted by Arsenal, Villa and Spurs after he'd played 20 games for Blackpool. Not saying everything you read is gospel but at the same time clubs get into bunfights over lower league youth team 15 year olds all the time. It's naive to conflate what the average punter knows with a professional scouting network, at least in terms of names on the radar so to speak.

That said, knowing when it's appropriate to take the plunge, or remembering quality when it becomes neglected like with Freeman, it's all a skillset. I'm not really trying to take anything away from the club here.
Login to get fewer ads

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 17:01 - Feb 17 with 2326 viewsWestbourneR

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 14:32 - Feb 17 by MedwayR

Nah not buying that.

Having people on trial and letting them go is not 'being aware of their talent' - it's missing it.

QPR were the only club that understood what a special talent he is.

If we apply your criteria then every player that's ever been on someone's book has already 'been spotted.

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 17:13 - Feb 17 with 2284 viewsjohncharles

We should put a scout on Pensive. Watch who he's watching

PENRICE ffs. Fckg predictive htext
[Post edited 17 Feb 2020 19:15]

Strong and stable my arse.

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 17:13 - Feb 17 with 2283 viewsMedwayR

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 17:01 - Feb 17 by WestbourneR

Nah not buying that.

Having people on trial and letting them go is not 'being aware of their talent' - it's missing it.

QPR were the only club that understood what a special talent he is.

If we apply your criteria then every player that's ever been on someone's book has already 'been spotted.

I’d say it’s a bit of both.

If a 17yo gets released by Millwall he might get one or two clubs offering a trial at a decent level, Eze had a lot by the sound of things so clearly there was some level of recognition that he wasn’t your average player released at 17. However you’re right about the missed part in the sense that no one else felt he was worth a go.

Poll: Who’s better?

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 17:33 - Feb 17 with 2238 viewsTacticalR

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 17:13 - Feb 17 by MedwayR

I’d say it’s a bit of both.

If a 17yo gets released by Millwall he might get one or two clubs offering a trial at a decent level, Eze had a lot by the sound of things so clearly there was some level of recognition that he wasn’t your average player released at 17. However you’re right about the missed part in the sense that no one else felt he was worth a go.

The question we've all asked ourselves is why couldn't they see his talent? My guess is it's because they have a very fixed idea of what they are looking for.

Air hostess clique

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 17:35 - Feb 17 with 2233 viewsJuzzie

Whatever the future holds for the club and Eze and BoS, I'm just so glad I was able to go to and take my boy to his first ever games over Christmas (Hull, Cardiff & Swansea) and see the sheer pleasure first hand. Those two, plus the combined efforts of the likes of Chair, Wells, etc. made it look so easy and enjoyable to watch. How it should be.
A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 17:43 - Feb 17 with 2208 viewsnix

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 17:35 - Feb 17 by Juzzie

Whatever the future holds for the club and Eze and BoS, I'm just so glad I was able to go to and take my boy to his first ever games over Christmas (Hull, Cardiff & Swansea) and see the sheer pleasure first hand. Those two, plus the combined efforts of the likes of Chair, Wells, etc. made it look so easy and enjoyable to watch. How it should be.

This is so true. Watching Eze twist and turn with three guys in front of him and somehow end up with the ball and BOS cruising past defenders as if they're standing still and then stroking the ball in from an impossible angle has been a joy this season.
A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 19:17 - Feb 17 with 2070 viewsAntti_Heinola

A bit of publicity from the Guardian... on 14:20 - Feb 17 by WestbourneR

BOS was Mel Johnson.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024