Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Malta 17:23 - Feb 17 with 3800 viewsozranger

Heading there late next month with the missus. Something about a 60th. Anyone been? Any suggestions to restaurants or places to visit as we're going rather blind. Doubt there would be much football on as this will be the international break weekend.
Malta on 17:25 - Feb 17 with 3095 viewsstowmarketrange

I was there about 30 years ago and I guess it’s changed a bit since then.But my one tip is don’t bother hiring a car while you’re there.I had 1 for 7 days and we’d seen everything in 2 days of driving.
Malta on 17:48 - Feb 17 with 3066 viewsHarbour

Valletta very nice old town and Harbour Gozo quiet nice for a day trip plus would give Mdina a visit very old town no cars plenty of character.
Malta on 18:10 - Feb 17 with 3025 views2Thomas2Bowles

Live in Mellieha for 2 years in the 90's
Best beach, the rest is just rock.

Gozo for a day trip.

Just about every week town/village has a saints day, more churches than anywhere else .

Don't know if they still have the old 50/60's busses and the roads you died on.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Malta on 18:35 - Feb 17 with 2989 viewsdubaistu

You'll love it, fantastic place. A mate owns The Thirsty Barber, check it out.
Malta on 18:37 - Feb 17 with 2988 viewsthame_hoops

Very small island, we made the mistake of all inclusive for a week, after 5 days we started to eat out and explore more. Some beautiful beaches, they do seem to plug a Popeye theme park as the old Robin Williams film was made there...

We did a bus tour that goes round the whole island, hop on and off, made a day trip, the harbour was nice. I used trip adviser to filter local restaurants.
Malta on 18:50 - Feb 17 with 2963 viewsnix

Husband goes there a lot. Not sure if this is the right part of the island for you but he's recommended the Peperoncino restaurant near St Julians Bay. Walk from St Julians to sliema and get water ferry to Valetta. San Giuliano Restaurant - expensive but v good and the ferry from Birgu to Valetta.
Malta on 19:12 - Feb 17 with 2927 viewsjohncharles

Malta on 18:35 - Feb 17 by dubaistu

You'll love it, fantastic place. A mate owns The Thirsty Barber, check it out.

Is that your mate on the avatar ? Can’t wait 😀

Strong and stable my arse.

Malta on 19:25 - Feb 17 with 2907 viewsBoston

Went out for the North African Music / Rock Festival in 82 or 83. Cheap bear, cheap food, cheap tattooists, friendly girls....loved the place.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Malta on 21:09 - Feb 17 with 2837 viewsaston_hoop

International break? Malta have a home double header of friendlies v Gibraltar and Liechtenstein! sorted!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Malta on 21:41 - Feb 17 with 2800 viewsEsgaroth

Don't get sucked in to going on a boat trip to the blue lagoon on Comino, unless you particularly want to visit a human seal colony and get stung by jelly fish.

Valletta is worth a visit tho and Malta has some of the best scuba and snorkeling waters in europe

Been here since 1984. Now THAT is what you call punishment

Malta on 21:51 - Feb 17 with 2777 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Went last summer. Stayed in Mellieha which is nice as is St Paul’s bay where there are some beautiful resteraunts and bars that overlook the bay. Can’t go wrong.

Not the prettiest country, but a day trip to Gozo and the newly refurbished Citadel a must.

Enjoy!
Malta on 10:14 - Feb 18 with 2638 viewsToast_R

Went in 1991, really really hot. I'm sure it's cleaned up it's act now but there was sewage floating in the sea at Golden Bay, I'll never forget that.
Malta on 10:37 - Feb 18 with 2630 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I want to check out the great seige stuff from 1565.

Amazing story if you haven't heard of it.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Malta on 10:50 - Feb 18 with 2601 viewscyprusmel

Malta on 10:37 - Feb 18 by Metallica_Hoop

I want to check out the great seige stuff from 1565.

Amazing story if you haven't heard of it.

There is a good book Metallica, if you are interested, semi fiction but I found it a good read.
It's called "Blood Rock"
Malta on 12:15 - Feb 18 with 2550 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Malta on 10:50 - Feb 18 by cyprusmel

There is a good book Metallica, if you are interested, semi fiction but I found it a good read.
It's called "Blood Rock"

Thanks I'll check it out.

Malta on 15:02 - Feb 18 with 2484 viewsozranger

Thanks to all for their suggestions. Some interesting ideas there. Looking forward to it.
Malta on 16:39 - Feb 18 with 2434 viewsLythamR

Malta on 12:15 - Feb 18 by Metallica_Hoop

Thanks I'll check it out.

This one is historical, fascinating read not just Malta but focusses heavily on the siege of Valetta campaign. part of a series of books from the author covering the geopolitics of the med from the 10th century

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Empires-Sea-Battle-Mediterranean-1521-1580/dp/057123231
Malta on 16:55 - Feb 18 with 2421 viewsozranger

Malta on 16:39 - Feb 18 by LythamR

This one is historical, fascinating read not just Malta but focusses heavily on the siege of Valetta campaign. part of a series of books from the author covering the geopolitics of the med from the 10th century

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Empires-Sea-Battle-Mediterranean-1521-1580/dp/057123231

The Wikipedia page is pretty informative as well
Malta on 18:11 - Feb 18 with 2360 viewsdubaistu

Malta on 19:12 - Feb 17 by johncharles

Is that your mate on the avatar ? Can’t wait 😀

Plenty of that in Malta as well... ;-)
Malta on 18:49 - Feb 18 with 2343 views2Thomas2Bowles

Malta on 18:11 - Feb 18 by dubaistu

Plenty of that in Malta as well... ;-)

And if you swing the other way, call a taxi...

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Malta on 22:46 - Feb 18 with 2241 viewsBoston

Y'know what was great about Malta when I was there, traffic entering a roundabout had the right of way. I put my life on the line to bring you that fact.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 22:50]

Malta on 23:02 - Feb 18 with 2219 viewsLythamR

Malta on 22:46 - Feb 18 by Boston

Y'know what was great about Malta when I was there, traffic entering a roundabout had the right of way. I put my life on the line to bring you that fact.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 22:50]

Haven't been since the 90's but i do remember that driving was mental, there appeared to be no rules apart from the one that says locals have right of way! Particularly in the interior
Malta on 23:40 - Feb 18 with 2210 viewsBoston

Malta on 23:02 - Feb 18 by LythamR

Haven't been since the 90's but i do remember that driving was mental, there appeared to be no rules apart from the one that says locals have right of way! Particularly in the interior

...and in the early 80's there were no drink driving laws. Then they got involved with the EU

Malta on 09:51 - Feb 19 with 2141 viewsrobith

As mentioned Valetta is super cool, and Medina is well creepy - go at night imo it's wild. LIke being an assassin in a fantasy story.

Food wise there's a huge Italian influence on everything. In Valetta there's a placed called Trattoria Zero Sei - brilliant Italian place - you get to go to the cellar to pick your wine

Would also recommend Legligin. Tradtional Maltese restaurant, big enormous tasting menu, very hearty, great value.

We went to St Julians for a night out one day as a bit of a laugh, actually hell on earth, but then again I am an up tight hipster
Malta on 10:37 - Feb 19 with 2118 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Malta on 16:39 - Feb 18 by LythamR

I have that one cheers. It's a cracking book.

I have all his paperback books, he's one of my favourite historians.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024