Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 21:59 - Feb 25 with 3421 viewsloftboy

Feels a lot better.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:05 - Feb 25 with 2481 viewsbosh67

Still quite open but just so much more robust now.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:16 - Feb 25 with 2369 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I thought we competed very well against a talented and well-matched team. We even played the same style.

Rooney was naturally the best player on the pitch, though I thought that he sometimes slowed them down as he had to jog over for every corner, for every free, he had to call fro every ball, and even if he didn't they would pass to him anyway.

For us, Barbet had a superb first half, both in defense and (there, I'll say it) in transition.

This was the first game since we put Cannon and Ball back together in midfield (I'm pretty sure that LBlock would've thought of those nicknames before) that we struggled to control midfield. But I think both still did well, maybe sitting back a tiny bit too much first half and then suffering because there must have been a call at half-time to send Ball further forward, even crossing the half-way line, God help us.

I'm a huge fan of both by the way. Today represented a different challenge with such a creative deep-lying playmaker.

Kudos to Warburton for not man-marking him. It worked, not to. It must have been tempting. And then also for pushing Ball up in a harassing role in the second half.

After that, we had established midfield parity. No small accomplishment. So it was down to who took their chances. And we did.

I wouldn't have argued with a draw. But, for our adventure, if any team deserved to win it then it was probably us.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 22:27]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:21 - Feb 25 with 2320 viewsbosh67

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:16 - Feb 25 by BrianMcCarthy

I thought we competed very well against a talented and well-matched team. We even played the same style.

Rooney was naturally the best player on the pitch, though I thought that he sometimes slowed them down as he had to jog over for every corner, for every free, he had to call fro every ball, and even if he didn't they would pass to him anyway.

For us, Barbet had a superb first half, both in defense and (there, I'll say it) in transition.

This was the first game since we put Cannon and Ball back together in midfield (I'm pretty sure that LBlock would've thought of those nicknames before) that we struggled to control midfield. But I think both still did well, maybe sitting back a tiny bit too much first half and then suffering because there must have been a call at half-time to send Ball further forward, even crossing the half-way line, God help us.

I'm a huge fan of both by the way. Today represented a different challenge with such a creative deep-lying playmaker.

Kudos to Warburton for not man-marking him. It worked, not to. It must have been tempting. And then also for pushing Ball up in a harassing role in the second half.

After that, we had established midfield parity. No small accomplishment. So it was down to who took their chances. And we did.

I wouldn't have argued with a draw. But, for our adventure, if any team deserved to win it then it was probably us.

Excellent report.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:22 - Feb 25 with 2305 viewsdistortR

we seemed to pick up after clarke came on, although i lost the stream a bit after.

Thought Barbet was excellent, closely followed by hall and ball.
From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:27 - Feb 25 with 2227 viewsAntti_Heinola

Gotta say thats the second post i’ve seen praising Rooney and i don’t quite get it. Thought he played sone nice passes, did one or two lovely tricks but overall was slow, meandering, struggled to impose himself and tired significantly in the last 20. I think most players of class can look decent sitting about in the centre circle playing 30 yard balls but doing almost nothing else? but not really sure that’s a luxury any team can afford. Ray Wilkins did more than that for years later into his career. Poor man’s Jan Molby, career almost over for me, Clive.

Bare bones.

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:27 - Feb 25 with 2227 viewsKiwi76

Thanks for the match comms and summary Brian - much appreciated down here!
From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:34 - Feb 25 with 2167 viewsBrianMcCarthy

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:27 - Feb 25 by Antti_Heinola

Gotta say thats the second post i’ve seen praising Rooney and i don’t quite get it. Thought he played sone nice passes, did one or two lovely tricks but overall was slow, meandering, struggled to impose himself and tired significantly in the last 20. I think most players of class can look decent sitting about in the centre circle playing 30 yard balls but doing almost nothing else? but not really sure that’s a luxury any team can afford. Ray Wilkins did more than that for years later into his career. Poor man’s Jan Molby, career almost over for me, Clive.

Read it again, Antti. We're agreeing.

He was the best player on the pitch (he finds space as well as ever) , but he also cost his team in some ways - the main one being that he slowed them down. We were always ready for them. (As we know, the best way to hit Rangers is to stretch us on the break).

And, naturally, he's no Ray Wilkins. Razor changed our club for the better, was our best player over a number of seasons, influenced us massively off the pitch, and played until nearly 40.

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:35 - Feb 25 with 2157 viewsTonto

I thought we dominated the midfield for the vast majority of the game and dictated play by pressing up against their defenders when their keeper had the ball.

Ball was mostly excellent. Cameron calm and collected. Thought eze influenced the game far more than Rooney.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Login to get fewer ads

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:46 - Feb 25 with 2071 viewsHastings_Hoops

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:34 - Feb 25 by BrianMcCarthy

He was the best player on the pitch (he finds space as well as ever) , but he also cost his team in some ways - the main one being that he slowed them down. We were always ready for them. (As we know, the best way to hit Rangers is to stretch us on the break).

And, naturally, he's no Ray Wilkins. Razor changed our club for the better, was our best player over a number of seasons, influenced us massively off the pitch, and played until nearly 40.

I think Eze was the best player on the pitch. Couldn’t get the ball off him, won the ball back numerous time’s and Wayne had to hack him down in the second half. Fergie would have give. Rooney the hairdryer treatment for that ball which led to Chairs goal!!!
From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:58 - Feb 25 with 1968 viewsAntti_Heinola

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:34 - Feb 25 by BrianMcCarthy

I love you Bri.

Bare bones.

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:58 - Feb 25 with 1965 viewsBrianMcCarthy

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:46 - Feb 25 by Hastings_Hoops

I think Eze was the best player on the pitch. Couldn’t get the ball off him, won the ball back numerous time’s and Wayne had to hack him down in the second half. Fergie would have give. Rooney the hairdryer treatment for that ball which led to Chairs goal!!!

I'm not saying Rooney was MOTM, but he was clearly the best player out there.

He just wasn't the most effective. Or MOTM, as a result.

To my mind MOTM was Barbet.

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:59 - Feb 25 with 1951 viewsridethewave

Eze put in one of the best halves of football I’ve seen anyone in a Rangers shirt play in a while. Ball was simply outstanding. Some superb individual performances but an overall outstanding team effort too.
From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 23:04 - Feb 25 with 1919 viewsridethewave

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:58 - Feb 25 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm not saying Rooney was MOTM, but he was clearly the best player out there.

He just wasn't the most effective. Or MOTM, as a result.

To my mind MOTM was Barbet.

MoM has to go to Eze for me. Barbet was excellent, but it was Eze who ran the game, dominated Rooney and looked as good as anyone else we’ve seen at this level.
From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 23:06 - Feb 25 with 1901 viewsrsonist

I don't want to start setting targets but if there's any small chance we can just finish above Bristol City...
From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 23:06 - Feb 25 with 1894 viewsLblock

Sorry but Rooney was totally outshone by Eze this evening

Two moments in that second half were worth the entrance fee alone

1. A back heel Jackie Chan cartwheel flick from Ebs where he glided the ball from the air perfectly into Mannings path

2. Three players linking up with flicks decoy runs and wall passes off of each other to pick Derby to absolute pieces. Eze and BOS at the heart of it.

Eze was head and shoulders above Shrek for me and yet I still don’t think Eze was the best player on the park tonight. He was pipped by BOS, what a performance missing only a goal to crown it. He was tenacious, skilful, disciplined, full of pace and energy simply not giving Derby’s lumbering defenders a moments peace. He also out battled them almost every time bringing the ball down, shielding, screening and even winning headers.

Love seeing BOS, Eze and Chair on the pitch..... enjoy the C. B. E whilst you can

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 23:51 - Feb 25 with 1734 viewsLeedsR

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 23:06 - Feb 25 by Lblock

Sorry but Rooney was totally outshone by Eze this evening

Two moments in that second half were worth the entrance fee alone

1. A back heel Jackie Chan cartwheel flick from Ebs where he glided the ball from the air perfectly into Mannings path

2. Three players linking up with flicks decoy runs and wall passes off of each other to pick Derby to absolute pieces. Eze and BOS at the heart of it.

Eze was head and shoulders above Shrek for me and yet I still don’t think Eze was the best player on the park tonight. He was pipped by BOS, what a performance missing only a goal to crown it. He was tenacious, skilful, disciplined, full of pace and energy simply not giving Derby’s lumbering defenders a moments peace. He also out battled them almost every time bringing the ball down, shielding, screening and even winning headers.

Love seeing BOS, Eze and Chair on the pitch..... enjoy the C. B. E whilst you can

Agree with everything you’ve said about Eze except that I think he just about pips BOS as MoTM for me. The close control, the passes, his winning of the ball, his strength in possession - I lost count the number of times where there’d be 3,4 even 5 Derby players around him, and he’d still come out with the ball. His vision with that outrageous balletic flick with his heel to carry on the move, a ball he had no right to get but did, like some kind of Roger Federer round the back trick shot. Amazing.

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m by no means saying that BOS played badly. Far from it, I thought he was superb. His speed and strength and the runs he made were supreme.

With these two and Chair, this is one exciting team to watch.
From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 23:53 - Feb 25 with 1726 viewsHunterhoop

Eze was far better than Rooney, Bri.

Would be convinced the stats bear that out.
From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 23:55 - Feb 25 with 1713 viewsHunterhoop

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:35 - Feb 25 by Tonto

I thought we dominated the midfield for the vast majority of the game and dictated play by pressing up against their defenders when their keeper had the ball.

Ball was mostly excellent. Cameron calm and collected. Thought eze influenced the game far more than Rooney.

Agree.
From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 23:57 - Feb 25 with 1698 viewsBrianMcCarthy

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 23:53 - Feb 25 by Hunterhoop

Eze was far better than Rooney, Bri.

Would be convinced the stats bear that out.

I agree. Hunter. I tried to clear this up earlier.

Rooney was the best player on the pitch (i.e. the most talented) but he didn't play the best.

I should have been more clear.

My MOTM was Barbet.

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 23:59 - Feb 25 with 1693 viewsstowmarketrange

And to think some of us mugs said we’d be lucky to get 3 points during February.We’re already on 8 with 1 more game to go.
Well done to MW and the team.
From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 00:01 - Feb 26 with 1670 viewsHunterhoop

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 23:57 - Feb 25 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree. Hunter. I tried to clear this up earlier.

Rooney was the best player on the pitch (i.e. the most talented) but he didn't play the best.

I should have been more clear.

My MOTM was Barbet.

But I don’t think he was the most talented on the pitch. Eze can do AND DID things Rooney cannot, certainly not anymore. Eze was the most talented player on the pitch by some distance.

Rooney was a poor man’s Graham Kavanagh.
From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 00:25 - Feb 26 with 1621 viewsBrianMcCarthy

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 00:01 - Feb 26 by Hunterhoop

But I don’t think he was the most talented on the pitch. Eze can do AND DID things Rooney cannot, certainly not anymore. Eze was the most talented player on the pitch by some distance.

If Eze turns out to be a more talented and a better player than Rooney, then I will be thrilled.

My point is that Rooney has more talent, and has displayed it throughout his career.

But that he slowed his team down today through it being decided (by him, or by others) that he take every free, corner, position and pass.

It's no insult to Eze, who I have effused about constantly. Including tonight.

Now, if Eze turns into a player as talented as Rooney

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 00:39 - Feb 26 with 1590 viewsdannyblue

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 22:22 - Feb 25 by distortR

we seemed to pick up after clarke came on, although i lost the stream a bit after.

Thought Barbet was excellent, closely followed by hall and ball.

I thought we picked up after Clarke came on too. Not for his individual contribution but with him staying so wide, and their defence frightened of BOS’s pace in the middle (so much so they subbed off Curtis Davie when he went up front), and Rooney tiring, suddenly there was loads of room in the magical area in front of their back four. That space is where our winner came from.
From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 01:17 - Feb 26 with 1536 viewsbob566

From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 00:01 - Feb 26 by Hunterhoop

Come off it. Be fair. You're putting eze up there with Rooney. Just another 200 goals to go. Top flight goals at that
From no win in 5 to no defeats in 4 on 06:52 - Feb 26 with 1423 viewskropotkin41

We haven't finished higher than 12th since we got relegated have we? So we're flying high at the moment! It'd be great to finish a few places above 16th....... not wanting to tem,pt fate.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024