Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Art of Defending 18:49 - Feb 29 with 5798 viewsLblock

Done with crayons and potato prints

Hats off to Dom Ball today, full of energy commitment and desire.
Worked hard to protect the back four
I’d of feared for us without him.

Can we please drop the zonal bollox? We’ve not got the players for it!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The Art of Defending on 19:00 - Feb 29 with 4374 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

An inverted shit sandwich.
The Art of Defending on 19:36 - Feb 29 with 4198 viewsGloucs_R

Just seen the goals. Two completely unmarked for their second and their first looked 5 yards offside

Poll: Are we staying up?

The Art of Defending on 20:43 - Feb 29 with 3997 viewsstevec

If we’re intending to make any progression next season MW needs to revisit his strategy for defending corners, it’s comical.
The Art of Defending on 22:33 - Feb 29 with 3775 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Art of Defending on 20:43 - Feb 29 by stevec

If we’re intending to make any progression next season MW needs to revisit his strategy for defending corners, it’s comical.

Genuinely don't recall us conceding that many from corners. Would love to see a stat on it. I think we concede so many in general because we commit to attack more.

Wasn't there today so i'll take your word for it that our defending was terrible.
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 22:35]
The Art of Defending on 23:50 - Feb 29 with 3642 viewstimcocking

Yes our defending at set pieces has moved from a piss take to an absolute bloody joke. Which is a backwards step.
The Art of Defending on 00:00 - Mar 1 with 3634 viewswombat

The Art of Defending on 23:50 - Feb 29 by timcocking

Yes our defending at set pieces has moved from a piss take to an absolute bloody joke. Which is a backwards step.

It’s MW biggest issue he won’t change it when it simply doesn’t work as long at the able in the box is half decent the oppo will get a chance of scoring

Poll: which is your favouite foot

The Art of Defending on 00:02 - Mar 1 with 3625 viewstimcocking

The Art of Defending on 22:33 - Feb 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

Genuinely don't recall us conceding that many from corners. Would love to see a stat on it. I think we concede so many in general because we commit to attack more.

Wasn't there today so i'll take your word for it that our defending was terrible.
[Post edited 29 Feb 2020 22:35]

Unless i heard wrong, we've conceded more goals from set pieces than all the other 91 league clubs this year, haven't we?
The Art of Defending on 00:07 - Mar 1 with 3621 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Art of Defending on 00:02 - Mar 1 by timcocking

Unless i heard wrong, we've conceded more goals from set pieces than all the other 91 league clubs this year, haven't we?

Might be true but I can’t find it 🤷‍♂️
Login to get fewer ads

The Art of Defending on 00:10 - Mar 1 with 3614 viewskensalriser

What is true is that we've conceded more goals than the entire bloody division except Luton.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The Art of Defending on 00:31 - Mar 1 with 3592 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Art of Defending on 00:10 - Mar 1 by kensalriser

What is true is that we've conceded more goals than the entire bloody division except Luton.

Third in the goals for Column too!

This has been a exciting if not a successful season.
The Art of Defending on 01:25 - Mar 1 with 3541 viewsdixiedean

The Art of Defending on 00:00 - Mar 1 by wombat

It’s MW biggest issue he won’t change it when it simply doesn’t work as long at the able in the box is half decent the oppo will get a chance of scoring

Generally I'm behind Warburton but the defending from set plays has to change. They've spent 6-9 months practising a system which clearly doesn't work. We have 4 people on the 6 yard box ( usually 3 of which are our best headers ) and 3 marking 4 attackers on the edge of the box . So guess what , the 4th one is always unmarked ! The defenders on 6 yard box only head it if the delivery is crap; if it's a good ball in they're out of the game , hence we concede so many from corners. They must analyse this to death so why be so stubborn and not change it ?
The Art of Defending on 02:16 - Mar 1 with 3510 viewsqueensparker

How to score from a corner against QPR.

Put your two strongest in the air at the far corner of the 18 yard box or a bit nearer to taste.

Crowd the box with cannon fodder.

Float it to the back post for your two big men to attack.

Profit.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 2:17]
The Art of Defending on 08:12 - Mar 1 with 3274 viewsjonno

The Art of Defending on 01:25 - Mar 1 by dixiedean

Generally I'm behind Warburton but the defending from set plays has to change. They've spent 6-9 months practising a system which clearly doesn't work. We have 4 people on the 6 yard box ( usually 3 of which are our best headers ) and 3 marking 4 attackers on the edge of the box . So guess what , the 4th one is always unmarked ! The defenders on 6 yard box only head it if the delivery is crap; if it's a good ball in they're out of the game , hence we concede so many from corners. They must analyse this to death so why be so stubborn and not change it ?

Defending is very simple you have to get to any ball first that is coming into or around the box, otherwise you are in trouble. We are consistently second to those balls, look at the second goal yesterday for a prime example.Tyhat is why we concede so many goals.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 8:13]
The Art of Defending on 08:58 - Mar 1 with 3178 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've looked but can't find an article on the rationale behind defending zonally against corners. I mean they're must be a reason so many coaches employ it. I just can't see it at the moment.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The Art of Defending on 09:22 - Mar 1 with 3126 viewssmegma

The Art of Defending on 08:58 - Mar 1 by BrianMcCarthy

I've looked but can't find an article on the rationale behind defending zonally against corners. I mean they're must be a reason so many coaches employ it. I just can't see it at the moment.

As someone once said , " a zone has never scored a goal, a footballer does".... or something like that. It's the biggest nonsense ever created.
The Art of Defending on 09:42 - Mar 1 with 3092 viewsDejR_vu

I suspect they think that, in time, it will improve. Like everything in life, you get better with practice.

If we’re going to do the same as every one else we’ll likely get similar results to everyone else, unless we have the best players available who can make a difference to how successful the system is. We clearly don’t have the best players so we need a system that makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts. It looks like we’re trying to do that but, because it’s difficult, we’re going to have to go through some pain.

Also, it’s not as if we’ve been watertight at the back before this season.

Given what he’s managed to achieve in the short time he’s been here i’m inclined to give MW the benefit of the doubt.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

The Art of Defending on 10:02 - Mar 1 with 3055 viewslondonscottish

That statto bloke from Opta on the pod the other week said that Rangers were about spot on in terms of the ratio of chances created to goals scored but about 10 points down on goal threats to goals conceded.

So, yeah, lots of mistakes at the back.

In other news Leeds were WAY behind on changes created to goals scored. Like 20 points down or something.

In other words the Opta stats back what everyone's been saying.

In other new Dolly Parton has 2.0 enormous knockers and sleeps on her back.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 10:07]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

The Art of Defending on 11:16 - Mar 1 with 2955 viewsTacticalR

Yes, someone sitting near me just before the corner was taken said: 'we've got one bloke trying to mark two players'.

Air hostess clique

The Art of Defending on 12:56 - Mar 1 with 2880 viewsLadbrokeR

The Art of Defending on 00:02 - Mar 1 by timcocking

Well if this is the case then it should be the first thing to address on Monday.
The Art of Defending on 13:10 - Mar 1 with 2862 viewsAngelsone9

The Art of Defending on 00:00 - Mar 1 by wombat

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
The Art of Defending on 13:22 - Mar 1 with 2839 viewskensalriser

The Art of Defending on 13:10 - Mar 1 by Angelsone9

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Except it's not and Einstein never said it.

Definition of stupidity more like.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The Art of Defending on 13:44 - Mar 1 with 2814 viewsterryb

The player who won the first header was man marked by Cameron.

It is impossible for a defender to win every ball that is played into the area so we must expect to be under pressure from some of them. It is possible that we lose too many of them though!

I've not seen any sugestions from us that the Brum defending was that bad when Hugill won the ball & Pugh was all alone to score!
The Art of Defending on 14:35 - Mar 1 with 2775 viewsNorthantsHoop

The Art of Defending on 13:44 - Mar 1 by terryb

The player who won the first header was man marked by Cameron.

It is impossible for a defender to win every ball that is played into the area so we must expect to be under pressure from some of them. It is possible that we lose too many of them though!

I've not seen any sugestions from us that the Brum defending was that bad when Hugill won the ball & Pugh was all alone to score!

I don't think we are going to improve much defensively this season, although Barbet coming back has made us a bit tighter and solid. Personally think their first goal was a bit of a shocker, although Hogan did look offside to me, Masterson unlucky not to have scrambled it clear. Good point on our first goal about Hugill getting header in and Pugh scoring easily. Great game to watch yesterday, both sides evenly matched and on balance, draw a fair result.
The Art of Defending on 15:07 - Mar 1 with 2754 viewsQPROslo

The Art of Defending on 14:35 - Mar 1 by NorthantsHoop

I don't think we are going to improve much defensively this season, although Barbet coming back has made us a bit tighter and solid. Personally think their first goal was a bit of a shocker, although Hogan did look offside to me, Masterson unlucky not to have scrambled it clear. Good point on our first goal about Hugill getting header in and Pugh scoring easily. Great game to watch yesterday, both sides evenly matched and on balance, draw a fair result.

Barbet has improved our play out from the back, but I think we lost much of what defensive strength we had in the air with the departure of the BFL.
The Art of Defending on 15:12 - Mar 1 with 2746 viewsderbyhoop

Their 2nd goal yesterday was almost a replica of the one Forest scored, but was disallowed for moving ball.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024