Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very Championship indeed - Report 21:40 - Mar 1 with 3972 viewsNorthernr

Very Championship indeed - Report 1st Mar 2020 21:31
All the good of QPR that makes you look forward to seeing them play this season, and all the bad that holds them back, was on show in an entertaining 2-2 draw with Birmingham City on Saturday. 11

Very Championship indeed - Report on 01:03 - Mar 2 with 3068 viewsB_Wad

Thank you for another excellent read. Was laughing out loud over the referee comments. My wife yelled "what?" from the other room.
Very Championship indeed - Report on 08:52 - Mar 2 with 2759 viewsBlue_Castello

Clive you didn't mention whether you thought Hogan was offside for their first, it looked that way from R Block but you need to be sitting in line with the back four for sure, because he always plays off the shoulder of the defender.
A brilliant report and analysis of our defending for the corner which should be forwarded to MW although from all reports he's not for changing.....
[Post edited 2 Mar 2020 8:54]
Very Championship indeed - Report on 09:31 - Mar 2 with 2695 viewsNorthernr

Couldn't see from my angle and the replay doesn't tell you much as he's out of shot when the ball is kicked.
Very Championship indeed - Report on 09:59 - Mar 2 with 2638 viewsPinnerPaul

Very Championship indeed - Report on 09:31 - Mar 2 by Northernr

Couldn't see from my angle and the replay doesn't tell you much as he's out of shot when the ball is kicked.

Plenty of talking points for me this week!

Agree with most (not all, see below) of Clive's report.

Cautions - spot on, said on another thread 3 or 4 for me that he 'missed'. Its a balance -card too early and everything has to be a card, don't caution when you should (as here) and nothing is a card - both wrong obviously.

Hugill's '1st' - its close, looks off from the (poor) angles we have but easy to argue both ways - like Clive I still prefer the human decision to waiting for 3 minutes while Stockley Park looks at fuzzy images and draws lines!

Their 1st - agree 100%, no pictures prove if it was or wasn't.

Loved the Dad jokes about the ER AR! However in his and all us AR's defence, while it is not impossible to keep up with 2nd last defender, once the ball goes past them you then need to get level with the ball - now even if the late 50s me kicks a ball, no one on earth is going to 'keep up' with it, so berating Ars for not being level with the ball is a bit pointless.

Now my one bone of contention with the report. Clive's stadium meltdown about 4 players 'being offside' - you can't have 4 players offside - my favourite quote from the laws coming up - 'It is not an offence to be in an offside position'.

Players can 'run' offside as much as they like but unless they touch the ball, interfere with or challenge an opponent for the ball then they are not committing an offence.

There we go - bet you would rather read the latest on the virus than my discourse on the offside law but hey ho there's always the ignore button!
Very Championship indeed - Report on 10:50 - Mar 2 with 2544 viewsfrancisbowles

Very Championship indeed - Report on 09:59 - Mar 2 by PinnerPaul

Cautions - spot on, said on another thread 3 or 4 for me that he 'missed'. Its a balance -card too early and everything has to be a card, don't caution when you should (as here) and nothing is a card - both wrong obviously.

Hugill's '1st' - its close, looks off from the (poor) angles we have but easy to argue both ways - like Clive I still prefer the human decision to waiting for 3 minutes while Stockley Park looks at fuzzy images and draws lines!

Loved the Dad jokes about the ER AR! However in his and all us AR's defence, while it is not impossible to keep up with 2nd last defender, once the ball goes past them you then need to get level with the ball - now even if the late 50s me kicks a ball, no one on earth is going to 'keep up' with it, so berating Ars for not being level with the ball is a bit pointless.

Now my one bone of contention with the report. Clive's stadium meltdown about 4 players 'being offside' - you can't have 4 players offside - my favourite quote from the laws coming up - 'It is not an offence to be in an offside position'.

Players can 'run' offside as much as they like but unless they touch the ball, interfere with or challenge an opponent for the ball then they are not committing an offence.

There we go - bet you would rather read the latest on the virus than my discourse on the offside law but hey ho there's always the ignore button!

Of course you're absolutely right Pinner but wasn't it all a just a little bit simpler when if you were in an offside position, when the ball was played (forward?) you were offside.

(Unless in the ref's opinion you were deemed not to be interfering with play) Lol
Very Championship indeed - Report on 12:36 - Mar 2 with 2410 viewsPinnerPaul

Very Championship indeed - Report on 10:50 - Mar 2 by francisbowles

Of course you're absolutely right Pinner but wasn't it all a just a little bit simpler when if you were in an offside position, when the ball was played (forward?) you were offside.

(Unless in the ref's opinion you were deemed not to be interfering with play) Lol

Yes simpler but less goals and more fks for offside.

Teams like Arsenal was stifling the life out of the game - hence the law changes, which I agree have been tweaked and refined to such an extent as to make them very complicated indeed.

Over on RefChat much debate, but no agreement, on whether Everton's 'goal' was offside or not - when its down to 'interpretation' as in that case, there's bound to be arguments!
Very Championship indeed - Report on 12:59 - Mar 2 with 2370 viewsrobith

Small technical quibble, it was Masterson who almost killed himself trying to stop the first (and was lucky he didn't cos he'd have been sent off if he stopped it). He was down for ages and seemed absolutely distraught for some time after, despite Barbet's attempts to calm him down
Very Championship indeed - Report on 13:01 - Mar 2 with 2363 viewsfrancisbowles

Very Championship indeed - Report on 12:36 - Mar 2 by PinnerPaul

Teams like Arsenal was stifling the life out of the game - hence the law changes, which I agree have been tweaked and refined to such an extent as to make them very complicated indeed.

Over on RefChat much debate, but no agreement, on whether Everton's 'goal' was offside or not - when its down to 'interpretation' as in that case, there's bound to be arguments!

So go back to the original rule but move it forward from the half way line to either 35 yards, (which was used in the North American Soccer League 70's/80's) or the 18 yard line or even just the penalty area).
Login to get fewer ads

Very Championship indeed - Report on 14:25 - Mar 2 with 2235 viewsStatesideRanger

Great read Clive! That foul throw is still ingrained in my mind. Looks like a u-8 player just learning...
Very Championship indeed - Report on 14:53 - Mar 2 with 2192 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Very Championship indeed - Report on 12:59 - Mar 2 by robith

Small technical quibble, it was Masterson who almost killed himself trying to stop the first (and was lucky he didn't cos he'd have been sent off if he stopped it). He was down for ages and seemed absolutely distraught for some time after, despite Barbet's attempts to calm him down

Have to agree with this post that looked dangerous to both players and any tackle from behind is a straight red ?.luckily both escaped injury and Masterson saved the day with that block at the end.Hard to know what to do when the striker is finishing into an empty net but I guess you have to at least try .if VAR was in play I feel Hogan was at least 5 yards offside its laughable there was no flag but going off the game report from Clive the Officials should have stayed in their dressing room .
Very Championship indeed - Report on 17:45 - Mar 2 with 2009 viewswestberksr

another brilliant report; QPR are clearly your muse and if following a less traumatic team would you reach such highs as they plummet to such depths; you are made for each other
Very Championship indeed - Report on 19:55 - Mar 2 with 1894 viewsstowmarketrange

Very Championship indeed - Report on 09:59 - Mar 2 by PinnerPaul

I got abuse from one of the parents in my daughters game last Sunday because there was a player standing 4 or 5 yards offside and I put my flag up because she went to play the ball.He moaned that I put it up too early,and shouted that I had to wait until she touched the ball.I didn’t respond even when he told me to “read the bloody rules.”I wish I’d been quick enough to tell him that they’re laws rather than rules but I bit my lip and said nothing.
Later on Sunday in both live games I watched,including Arsenal v Everton,the AR did exactly what I had done a couple of hours earlier.
My point is that if professional linesman can’t get it right,shouldn’t they just go back to the old system where you were offside if you were in front of the 2nd last defender?Unless you stop Leeds winning the title in the 70’s.
Very Championship indeed - Report on 00:09 - Mar 3 with 1717 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Very Championship indeed - Report on 12:36 - Mar 2 by PinnerPaul

I watched the Everton goal from every angle and listened to all the opinions so its pretty clear the VAR Ref got it terribly wrong.The United keeper was not even trying for it he was so badly wrongfooted and it should have been the winner.
Sending the manager off in the handshake line was rubbish too he should have told him to move away instead IMO
Very Championship indeed - Report on 14:42 - Mar 3 with 1537 viewsPinnerPaul

Very Championship indeed - Report on 19:55 - Mar 2 by stowmarketrange

I got abuse from one of the parents in my daughters game last Sunday because there was a player standing 4 or 5 yards offside and I put my flag up because she went to play the ball.He moaned that I put it up too early,and shouted that I had to wait until she touched the ball.I didn’t respond even when he told me to “read the bloody rules.”I wish I’d been quick enough to tell him that they’re laws rather than rules but I bit my lip and said nothing.
Later on Sunday in both live games I watched,including Arsenal v Everton,the AR did exactly what I had done a couple of hours earlier.
My point is that if professional linesman can’t get it right,shouldn’t they just go back to the old system where you were offside if you were in front of the 2nd last defender?Unless you stop Leeds winning the title in the 70’s.

Its difficult, we get told NOT to raise flag quickly unless there is likely to be a 'coming together' of 'offside' player and GK or if no other player can play the ball.

The higher you go the more likely it is that a player in front of the defender is going to play the ball with no other action likely. At the lower levels - non professional and all youth, women's games I would be waiting in most cases until player has played the ball.

However if 'last player' beyond the 2nd last defender then yes flag if moving to the ball but otherwise wait.

The problem is you still get professionals appealing for offside against a player not interfering in any way!

Running the line for your daughter you shouldn't be getting pulled up on a 'technicality' - you're not even getting paid for it! - a reason I have given up youth football in the main.
Very Championship indeed - Report on 14:44 - Mar 3 with 1530 viewsPinnerPaul

Very Championship indeed - Report on 00:09 - Mar 3 by CLAREMAN1995

I watched the Everton goal from every angle and listened to all the opinions so its pretty clear the VAR Ref got it terribly wrong.The United keeper was not even trying for it he was so badly wrongfooted and it should have been the winner.
Sending the manager off in the handshake line was rubbish too he should have told him to move away instead IMO

Majority, but not all, refs on RefChat agree with you on the first part.

Have to disagree on the 2nd part though, ref tried to ignore manager firstly then told him at least twice to move away - no point introducing red cards for managers if you're not going to use them for what was a pretty blatant offence.

My very useful friends on RefChat have just pointed out that one of the specific criteria for a red card for the manager is 'entering the field of play to confront the referee including at half time and full time' - so he's 'bang to rights' I'm afraid!
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 14:51]
Very Championship indeed - Report on 15:25 - Mar 3 with 1506 viewsstowmarketrange

Very Championship indeed - Report on 14:42 - Mar 3 by PinnerPaul

Its difficult, we get told NOT to raise flag quickly unless there is likely to be a 'coming together' of 'offside' player and GK or if no other player can play the ball.

The higher you go the more likely it is that a player in front of the defender is going to play the ball with no other action likely. At the lower levels - non professional and all youth, women's games I would be waiting in most cases until player has played the ball.

However if 'last player' beyond the 2nd last defender then yes flag if moving to the ball but otherwise wait.

The problem is you still get professionals appealing for offside against a player not interfering in any way!

Running the line for your daughter you shouldn't be getting pulled up on a 'technicality' - you're not even getting paid for it! - a reason I have given up youth football in the main.

To be fair that is the only time so far that I’ve had any grief and I do enjoy the games normally.Next year she goes to women’s football and I’ve heard that some of the players moan a lot more than I’m used to,but it still isn’t a patch on men’s or boys football.
I also ran the line at a women’s game on Sunday and it was a lot more competitive than the U18’s I normally do and they weren’t bottling any challenges.
I do think it might be good if some of the subs ran the line occasionally though as it might them some idea of what the linesmen actually do.
It is getting harder to keep up with the players when they are running at full pelt though.But I can normally walk again by Tuesday now so I must be getting fitter.
Very Championship indeed - Report on 16:16 - Mar 3 with 1465 viewsPinnerPaul

Very Championship indeed - Report on 15:25 - Mar 3 by stowmarketrange

To be fair that is the only time so far that I’ve had any grief and I do enjoy the games normally.Next year she goes to women’s football and I’ve heard that some of the players moan a lot more than I’m used to,but it still isn’t a patch on men’s or boys football.
I also ran the line at a women’s game on Sunday and it was a lot more competitive than the U18’s I normally do and they weren’t bottling any challenges.
I do think it might be good if some of the subs ran the line occasionally though as it might them some idea of what the linesmen actually do.
It is getting harder to keep up with the players when they are running at full pelt though.But I can normally walk again by Tuesday now so I must be getting fitter.

You should do the course and then you would get paid for it! ;-)

I do quite a few women's games and not much difference in dissent to (male) U18s/U23s - - the majority of the rest of my games - either from players and/or benches - some moan more than others/some games better than others - typical football really!
Very Championship indeed - Report on 16:40 - Mar 3 with 1434 viewsstowmarketrange

Very Championship indeed - Report on 16:16 - Mar 3 by PinnerPaul

You should do the course and then you would get paid for it! ;-)

I do quite a few women's games and not much difference in dissent to (male) U18s/U23s - - the majority of the rest of my games - either from players and/or benches - some moan more than others/some games better than others - typical football really!

I’m 60 in September mate and I think it’s almost time to hang the flag up.I only do it for fun and a bit of fitness and I’m not sure I’d enjoy it as much the more seriously I did it.
And I think they don’t moan as much when they see a grey haired old git hobbling up and down the line for 90 mins.
Cheers anyway mate.
Very Championship indeed - Report on 17:17 - Mar 3 with 1409 viewsPinnerPaul

Very Championship indeed - Report on 16:40 - Mar 3 by stowmarketrange

I’m 60 in September mate and I think it’s almost time to hang the flag up.I only do it for fun and a bit of fitness and I’m not sure I’d enjoy it as much the more seriously I did it.
And I think they don’t moan as much when they see a grey haired old git hobbling up and down the line for 90 mins.
Cheers anyway mate.

You're only 2 months older than me and I'm often not the youngest at the games I do I can tell you that!

Hope you carry on with it - its great to be involved when you're too old to play - like me!
Very Championship indeed - Report on 19:05 - Mar 3 with 1347 viewsterryb

Very Championship indeed - Report on 13:01 - Mar 2 by francisbowles

So go back to the original rule but move it forward from the half way line to either 35 yards, (which was used in the North American Soccer League 70's/80's) or the 18 yard line or even just the penalty area).

I'd rather not!

Offsides were given against players laying injured. Interfeering with play? Like hell they were! Yes, Clive White! I'm still bitter!

The worst one I can recall was Arsenal being given a free kick for offside against the corner taker. He took the corner & didn't move while the drfenders ran forward & an attacker headed the ball into the goal. Arsenal asked & were given the offside! Interfeering? Definitely not, but that's how the game was refereed! He was in front of the ball & only had one opponent between him & the goal. That ws more than good enough for them to give it!
Very Championship indeed - Report on 00:52 - Mar 4 with 1250 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Very Championship indeed - Report on 14:44 - Mar 3 by PinnerPaul

Majority, but not all, refs on RefChat agree with you on the first part.

Have to disagree on the 2nd part though, ref tried to ignore manager firstly then told him at least twice to move away - no point introducing red cards for managers if you're not going to use them for what was a pretty blatant offence.

My very useful friends on RefChat have just pointed out that one of the specific criteria for a red card for the manager is 'entering the field of play to confront the referee including at half time and full time' - so he's 'bang to rights' I'm afraid!
[Post edited 3 Mar 2020 14:51]

I must put my hand up and admit I was mistaken on Ancelotti getting the red card Paul after thinking about it.If he was warned to move along then its deserved even if he appears to be a gentleman and was not aggressively in the refs face.There should be zero tolerance for that and from the players also .It was the VAR ref that made the call anyway and not the game officials .
I know the rugby system will never be adopted where its the captain only conferring with the ref but it would cut out a lot of aggressive confrontations that blight this game around the world .
Very Championship indeed - Report on 03:47 - Mar 4 with 1229 viewsstowmarketrange

Very Championship indeed - Report on 00:52 - Mar 4 by CLAREMAN1995

I must put my hand up and admit I was mistaken on Ancelotti getting the red card Paul after thinking about it.If he was warned to move along then its deserved even if he appears to be a gentleman and was not aggressively in the refs face.There should be zero tolerance for that and from the players also .It was the VAR ref that made the call anyway and not the game officials .
I know the rugby system will never be adopted where its the captain only conferring with the ref but it would cut out a lot of aggressive confrontations that blight this game around the world .

It’s creeping in to international rugby a bit more.Several different players were chirping away at the ref during the England v Ireland game 10 days ago.And they were mostly English players.
I can’t comment on club rugby as I don’t watch much of it.
Very Championship indeed - Report on 06:42 - Mar 4 with 1202 viewsozranger

Very Championship indeed - Report on 03:47 - Mar 4 by stowmarketrange

It’s creeping in to international rugby a bit more.Several different players were chirping away at the ref during the England v Ireland game 10 days ago.And they were mostly English players.
I can’t comment on club rugby as I don’t watch much of it.

I photographed club rugby back in Oz for five seasons recently. I must say that I am finding it very hard to remember more than a single incident, perhaps in the playoffs, of a referee being confronted by a player or a coach/manager. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that it is harder to cheat in rugby than in football or that less people are cheating (that is, except at the breakdown where certain No. 7s push the boundaries a bit).
Very Championship indeed - Report on 07:47 - Mar 4 with 1184 viewsstowmarketrange

Very Championship indeed - Report on 06:42 - Mar 4 by ozranger

I photographed club rugby back in Oz for five seasons recently. I must say that I am finding it very hard to remember more than a single incident, perhaps in the playoffs, of a referee being confronted by a player or a coach/manager. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that it is harder to cheat in rugby than in football or that less people are cheating (that is, except at the breakdown where certain No. 7s push the boundaries a bit).

I don’t think its a problem yet but some players seem to be questioning the refs a bit more than they used to do.
Very Championship indeed - Report on 10:11 - Mar 4 with 1130 viewsfrancisbowles

Very Championship indeed - Report on 19:05 - Mar 3 by terryb

I'd rather not!

Offsides were given against players laying injured. Interfeering with play? Like hell they were! Yes, Clive White! I'm still bitter!

The worst one I can recall was Arsenal being given a free kick for offside against the corner taker. He took the corner & didn't move while the drfenders ran forward & an attacker headed the ball into the goal. Arsenal asked & were given the offside! Interfeering? Definitely not, but that's how the game was refereed! He was in front of the ball & only had one opponent between him & the goal. That ws more than good enough for them to give it!

Whatever the rules are and however they try and use technology, there will still be inconsistencies and mistakes.

I just feel that the current offside rule is much more complicated for fans, players and even referees to understand. It is also very difficult for 'linesmen' to call with attackers deliberately standing on the wrong side of the defenders and moving when free kicks are taken.

There are still teams playing a high line and squeezing the play. Moving the zone would prevent them from doing that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024