Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever 11:54 - Mar 4 with 3400 viewsW7Ranger

final at Wembley day!

Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 12:04 - Mar 4 with 3386 viewsPerthRs

Remember it well 16yrs old and went with my cousin he's a Fulham supporter, was giving me crap about being 2-0 down but the look on his face at the final whistle was bloody priceless, funny thing is he's never been to another Rs game with me since.
Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 12:34 - Mar 4 with 3351 viewsBillericayR

Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 12:04 - Mar 4 by PerthRs

Remember it well 16yrs old and went with my cousin he's a Fulham supporter, was giving me crap about being 2-0 down but the look on his face at the final whistle was bloody priceless, funny thing is he's never been to another Rs game with me since.

I was 12 and sat opposite royal box on one of those benches you used to get in the school gym which when turned over could be used as a goal in 5 a side.
Ticket was 17s and 6p (87p today).
Scarf was well and truly tucked in at half-time and never worn one since.
Silly because I have since seen some big defeats.
Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 12:56 - Mar 4 with 3321 viewsloftus77

Well done the OP. Must always be marked every year for evermore.

I was there in spirit...
Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 13:01 - Mar 4 with 3309 viewsCaptainPugwash

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
Was on shor leev,up the end were all goals floo in.Went on beano wot laaaasted a month.

Yo Ho!
Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 13:02 - Mar 4 with 3309 viewsHayesender

I didn't enter the world for another four years, but I still look back on this day with a sense of pride.

What these players achieved will never happen again

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 13:12 - Mar 4 with 3286 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I am sure I recently read that we should have been allowed in Europe the following season but were stopped as we were not from the top two divisions of a league. It may have been on here.
Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 13:13 - Mar 4 with 3286 viewsStanFan

I wasn't there but it did indirectly lead to me becoming an R. My Dad went with some QPR-supporting mates and decided to go regularly the next season, taking me along too.
Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 13:17 - Mar 4 with 3273 viewswelwynranger

Remember it well. In the stand behind the goal where all the goals were scored. Men with there kids and grandkids openly crying at the end . (Which I was on Zamora day).
Next day the News of the World, had a 2 page spread with the headline, Not just a victory but a supreme triumph.
Because of my dad, I still have the match ticket and programme. Priceless.
Login to get fewer ads

Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 13:31 - Mar 4 with 3239 viewsR_from_afar

Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 13:17 - Mar 4 by welwynranger

Remember it well. In the stand behind the goal where all the goals were scored. Men with there kids and grandkids openly crying at the end . (Which I was on Zamora day).
Next day the News of the World, had a 2 page spread with the headline, Not just a victory but a supreme triumph.
Because of my dad, I still have the match ticket and programme. Priceless.

I was too young to be there but what an achievement it was!

Like you, I cried on Zamora day, or more accurately, I wept buckets. It was proper sobbing, the like of which I had never done before or since.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 13:34 - Mar 4 with 3235 viewsQPRSteve

My uncle took me. I was 12.

After the game he went to the club dinner at some posh hotel and brought me back a menu with all the player's autographs on it. My 'lovely' young sister spilt tea all over it and ruined it!
Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 13:50 - Mar 4 with 3199 viewsR_from_afar

Copycat warning: Look what FC Saarbruecken are up to in Germany! Some way to go until they actually win the trophy, though....
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51728885

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 14:11 - Mar 4 with 3170 viewsWrightUp5hit___

I was just eleven, had been a Loftus Road regular for a few years before that. Always went with my Dad and Uncle.

But found the scale of Wembley awesome.

After the game car drove by with scarves hanging out of the windows. One fell out. Picked it up but couldn't catch up with the car to hand it back. Still have it, as a momento rather than to wear.

53 bloody years ago!
Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 14:34 - Mar 4 with 3144 viewsShotKneesHoop

As soon as Rodney''s goal went in that afternoon, I just knew we'd do it.

The force of 35,000 was with us, and all five goals were scored at the R's fans end too.

What a great team that was - 50% kids - 50% experienced old lags - and one magician.

An unforgettable day - a bit like Henry V and his St Crispian's speech :-

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd–
We few, we happy few, we band of R's;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in Shepherd's Bush now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their rattles cheap whiles any speaks
That cheered with us upon Saint Rodney's day.

It was after we'd won the cup, I understood why I'd done Henry V four years earlier for O level English Literature. As a rehearsal for that day!

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 14:51 - Mar 4 with 3120 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 13:50 - Mar 4 by R_from_afar

Copycat warning: Look what FC Saarbruecken are up to in Germany! Some way to go until they actually win the trophy, though....
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51728885

Haha I actually watched that penalty shootout live (on tv of course )with my daughter and we were hoping it would go 11 rounds to see if both keepers would have to shoot or whether it would revert back to the first shooter again.FC Saarbruecken keeper pulled off the winning save on their 10th shooter to seal it.Does anybody know if the keepers have to shoot in the 11th round .Thanks
Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 14:56 - Mar 4 with 3116 viewsPinnerPaul

Blimey 53 years ago, I was there and 6 years old at the time!
Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 16:31 - Mar 4 with 3048 viewsCamberleyR

Happy 1st ever winners of the League Cup by a 3rd Division team in the 1st ever on 13:12 - Mar 4 by CroydonCaptJack

I am sure I recently read that we should have been allowed in Europe the following season but were stopped as we were not from the top two divisions of a league. It may have been on here.

I think that seems to be an urban myth. The competition didn't get a European place until the following season. It was this and the final being at Wembley that eventually got all the top division abstainers to finally compete in it before being made compulsory a couple of seasons later. You are correct in that the stipulation was that the winners could compete in Europe if in the top division which obviously Swindon fell foul of in 1969.

Tottenham were the first winners to qualify for Europe by winning it in 1971. Leeds won it in 1968 but went on to qualify for the Fairs Cup (as was then) by winning it that season and Man City who won it in 1970 were in the Cup Winner's Cup the next season by also being the holders.

https://www.efl.com/carabao-cup/about-the-carabao-cup/league-cup-competition-his
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 16:52]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024