Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warren Farm. 22:35 - Mar 4 with 10145 viewskropotkin41

I have developed a sneaking suspicion that the Save Warren Farm people might have a good point.

I know this won't be popular here, but I imagine there are some folks on LFW who are ecologically informed (Which is not the same as a political conviction, btw).

The club seems to have offered a pond, a grass roof and some bird boxes as mitigation for the proposed development. As I understand it Warren Farm includes endangered habitat (acid grassland) and endangered species, in a part of the world, needless to say, where these kind of areas are in very short supply.

I still suspect that there is room for a really constructive, creative and ecologically sound compromise here, but the measures on offer don't come up to scratch as it stands. There are enough species on that 61 acres to qualify for Local Nature Reserve status; The proposed development includes 555 car parking spaces and a landfill site! London has 1500 football pitches and only 147 LNRs.

I know we need a training ground, but I think the priorities here are f*cked up. QPR could do more, and threaten less. As I say, not going to be a beloved opinion in this forum, but I don't think it hurts to have a look at the other side. Ealing Council didn't even undertake an environmental impact assessment!

I really hope someone comes back and demolishes all my concerns with good reasons, because I'm looking at pictures of Warren Farm and I'm going to take some convincing that developing it won't be a crime tbh.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 22:37]

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Warren Farm. on 22:45 - Mar 4 with 5956 viewsdaveB

weren't the plans scaled down, i don't think the 555 car park spaces is accurate anymore
Warren Farm. on 22:53 - Mar 4 with 5920 viewsLowerloftLad

All I Can imagine Is eze,masterson and bos with a giant stick trying to get the ball back out of the pond before warburton has a chance to notice 😂

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Warren Farm. on 22:55 - Mar 4 with 5914 viewskingo

It was a series of football pitches with run down changing rooms, not a nature reserve.
The only newts there were left over from a night in the pub.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 22:56]

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Warren Farm. on 23:31 - Mar 4 with 5820 viewsloftboy

The place was a rotting dump when it was in full use, refereed there hundreds of times, dressing rooms with holes in, cold water for the showers and not a crested Newt, Bat or Dodo in sight.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Warren Farm. on 00:14 - Mar 5 with 5768 viewsPunteR

Leave any plot of land for too long and nature will just take over. SWF tactics have been about delaying the project.
You want to come to Bracknell to watch 1000s of acres of natural wildlife be destroyed by developers. I live on a new build between bracknell and wokingham. It used to be farmland. When we moved in i would have rabbits outside my front door for the first few months( they've cleared off now). Theres still plenty of open greenland spaces behind our estate. Where loads of wildlife live. Ive even got a garden that has hedgehogs, bats, Robins , chaffinch, Red Kites.Theres no reason why a new modern facility cant be built that will cater not just a football club thats been around for over a hundred years and has thousands of supporters in the area and also for the whole community, but also wildlife. Its really not difficult to co exist.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Warren Farm. on 07:16 - Mar 5 with 5621 viewsGloucs_R

Already another thread

Warren Farm by connell10 1 Nov 2018 10:13
Some one saying on WATRB that the Supreme court has thrown out the appeal placed against us and Warren Farm is a goer! Good news if true!

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Warren Farm. on 08:45 - Mar 5 with 5476 viewsMarc

The council ruined my local park, Rectory in Northolt, with an eyesore of a football centre so I do get where they're coming from in terms of not wanting such a massive change on a bit of green land the locals are probably fond of.

Speaking of Rectory - there's a massive bit of abandoned land that used to be a golf course wedged in between there and the northolt hills. It's a shame the club is so far along in the process with WF as that may have been ideal.
Warren Farm. on 09:03 - Mar 5 with 5428 viewsloftboy

Warren Farm. on 00:14 - Mar 5 by PunteR

Leave any plot of land for too long and nature will just take over. SWF tactics have been about delaying the project.
You want to come to Bracknell to watch 1000s of acres of natural wildlife be destroyed by developers. I live on a new build between bracknell and wokingham. It used to be farmland. When we moved in i would have rabbits outside my front door for the first few months( they've cleared off now). Theres still plenty of open greenland spaces behind our estate. Where loads of wildlife live. Ive even got a garden that has hedgehogs, bats, Robins , chaffinch, Red Kites.Theres no reason why a new modern facility cant be built that will cater not just a football club thats been around for over a hundred years and has thousands of supporters in the area and also for the whole community, but also wildlife. Its really not difficult to co exist.

Jennetts Park, was all farm land when I was growing up, was nicknamed Heseltown when it was first proposed. Ofiginallly the plans were rejected but the need for more housing took priority, another old poster from here Paddocks has just moved there as well.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2020 9:05]

Login to get fewer ads

Warren Farm. on 11:00 - Mar 5 with 5258 viewsPunteR

Warren Farm. on 09:03 - Mar 5 by loftboy

Jennetts Park, was all farm land when I was growing up, was nicknamed Heseltown when it was first proposed. Ofiginallly the plans were rejected but the need for more housing took priority, another old poster from here Paddocks has just moved there as well.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2020 9:05]

Thats the one. Ive seen another QPR fan in our local Co Op. Maybe Paddocks?.
Its crazy how many houses theyre building up here. Popular area as its between M4 and M3.
Even our owners would manage to get planning for a 40,000 seater stadium plus training facilities on a patch of green land here. Bracknell council seem very accommodating.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2020 11:03]

Warren Farm. on 11:02 - Mar 5 with 5260 viewsMick_S

Warren Farm. on 23:31 - Mar 4 by loftboy

The place was a rotting dump when it was in full use, refereed there hundreds of times, dressing rooms with holes in, cold water for the showers and not a crested Newt, Bat or Dodo in sight.

I made that up about the Dodo.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Warren Farm. on 11:08 - Mar 5 with 5229 viewsted_hendrix

Warren Farm. on 11:02 - Mar 5 by Mick_S

I made that up about the Dodo.

Talking of Dodo whatever happened to the lesser Doudou?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Warren Farm. on 11:14 - Mar 5 with 5205 viewsGloucs_R

Warren Farm. on 11:08 - Mar 5 by ted_hendrix

Talking of Dodo whatever happened to the lesser Doudou?

He appears on twitter every now and then. Went back to France and played lower league.

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Warren Farm. on 13:41 - Mar 5 with 4989 viewsTGRRRSSS

I live walking distance to JP - Concur Re Bracknell and Wokingham both Boroughs going through huge developments all over the shop - and beyond too.

Trying to redevelop and build all sorts round here, ridiculous but know real objections as housing companies get their way.
Warren Farm. on 15:39 - Mar 5 with 4834 viewsR_from_afar

Warren Farm. on 00:14 - Mar 5 by PunteR

I think your first sentence sums it up perfectly.

On Twitter, Hanwell Nature and Hanwell Weather are rolling out a clever PR campaign which uses atmospheric pictures and wildlife sightings to try to create the impression that WF is genuinely special and therefore worth protecting.

They keep referring to it as a meadow, but it hardly matches the definition: A tract of grassland, either in its natural state or used as pasture or for growing hay. Most of the birds spotted there are nothing special and with the exception of little owls (an introduced species), short eared owls and skylarks, all visit my suburban garden in Bracknell. Does that make my garden a site of scientific special interest? A national park in waiting, perhaps, given that the waxwings which once visited are far more exotic than anything ever seen at WF

Fair play to them for sticking up for what they believe in but we're talking abandoned leisure facilities here, not the Serengeti.

Oh, and if QPR don't develop it, it's going to end up as "executive homes". Or an Aldi.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Warren Farm. on 16:22 - Mar 5 with 4762 viewskropotkin41

Warren Farm. on 15:39 - Mar 5 by R_from_afar

I think your first sentence sums it up perfectly.

On Twitter, Hanwell Nature and Hanwell Weather are rolling out a clever PR campaign which uses atmospheric pictures and wildlife sightings to try to create the impression that WF is genuinely special and therefore worth protecting.

They keep referring to it as a meadow, but it hardly matches the definition: A tract of grassland, either in its natural state or used as pasture or for growing hay. Most of the birds spotted there are nothing special and with the exception of little owls (an introduced species), short eared owls and skylarks, all visit my suburban garden in Bracknell. Does that make my garden a site of scientific special interest? A national park in waiting, perhaps, given that the waxwings which once visited are far more exotic than anything ever seen at WF

Fair play to them for sticking up for what they believe in but we're talking abandoned leisure facilities here, not the Serengeti.

Oh, and if QPR don't develop it, it's going to end up as "executive homes". Or an Aldi.

Interesting. I suppose going back to my original point, if we put in an application with more top of the range ecological mitigation it would be less contentious. Spurs have an organic garden... something which can be very good ecologically, as well as feeding players, staff etc. Can't help thinking there's a win win here.

Warren Farm. on 16:34 - Mar 5 with 4721 viewsPunteR

Warren Farm. on 16:22 - Mar 5 by kropotkin41

Interesting. I suppose going back to my original point, if we put in an application with more top of the range ecological mitigation it would be less contentious. Spurs have an organic garden... something which can be very good ecologically, as well as feeding players, staff etc. Can't help thinking there's a win win here.

Exactly. Plant a load of trees with a small nature trail. Bat and bird boxes in the trees. Put some logs in a pile and call it a stag Beetle colonie. Put in pipes under roads to help small animals or Illias Chair to cross the road.
Intall a small garden that grows vegtables where we can put managers on gardening leave. That sort of thing.

Warren Farm. on 16:47 - Mar 5 with 4705 viewsR_from_afar

Agreed. If we, for example, put solar panels on the roof, we could reduce or cancel out our carbon footprint. Native hedges could be used and there's no reason why we couldn't use wildflower turf in the decorative areas (perhaps not on the actual pitches ). We could even put in some owl boxes for barn owls; statistically, more of them nest in those boxes than barns and other buildings these days.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Warren Farm. on 16:49 - Mar 5 with 4694 viewsPunteR

Warren Farm. on 16:47 - Mar 5 by R_from_afar

Agreed. If we, for example, put solar panels on the roof, we could reduce or cancel out our carbon footprint. Native hedges could be used and there's no reason why we couldn't use wildflower turf in the decorative areas (perhaps not on the actual pitches ). We could even put in some owl boxes for barn owls; statistically, more of them nest in those boxes than barns and other buildings these days.

We could rig up the exercise bikes to help generate power. :)

Warren Farm. on 17:12 - Mar 5 with 4649 viewsted_hendrix

Warren Farm. on 16:49 - Mar 5 by PunteR

We could rig up the exercise bikes to help generate power. :)

We built one of the headquarter for a very well known supermarket chain a good 10 Years ago, the whole roof was constructed as a 'living' roof.
What a bloody nightmare that was, I could write a bloody book about that contract and that bastard roof.
I'm all for the environment absolutely but it don't come easy and invariably it don't come cheap either.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Warren Farm. on 17:42 - Mar 5 with 4598 viewsA40Bosh

If anyone has the time and inclination to do the research ( I don't and haven't) I wonder how much protesting or at least public outcry was there before the announcement of us taking over the site. Were there already local groups and issues being brought by the local residents on how their wonderful nature reserve at Warren Farm was being ruined for the borough by the councils decision to allow the existing sports facilities to fall in to such a dilapidated state over a 20+ years and how it was probably stopping amazing wildlife from developing across the whole site?????

By all means we should be looking at adapting our development plans to incorporate the most environmentally friendly build options BUT WHICH ARE STILL PRACTICAL AND AFFORDABLE to do our bit for the environment regardless, not in an attempt to placate the local protesters, but it doesn't matter what changes we make, it will still never be enough to satisfy those whose ultimate goal is to win the battle and make sure we give up and find somewhere else.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Warren Farm. on 17:59 - Mar 5 with 4546 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Are you suggesting giving up our planning permission and applying from scratch again?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Warren Farm. on 19:44 - Mar 5 with 4409 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Rewilding has its disasters as well as success

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/27/dutch-rewilding-experiment-b
Warren Farm. on 19:45 - Mar 5 with 4407 viewsloftboy

Warren Farm. on 17:12 - Mar 5 by ted_hendrix

We built one of the headquarter for a very well known supermarket chain a good 10 Years ago, the whole roof was constructed as a 'living' roof.
What a bloody nightmare that was, I could write a bloody book about that contract and that bastard roof.
I'm all for the environment absolutely but it don't come easy and invariably it don't come cheap either.

Waitrose? Their new store in Bracknell has a living roof
[Post edited 5 Mar 2020 19:45]

Warren Farm. on 20:40 - Mar 5 with 4314 viewskropotkin41

Warren Farm. on 17:59 - Mar 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Are you suggesting giving up our planning permission and applying from scratch again?

No. I'm suggesting that QPR could probably do better, dissolve some if not all of the opposition, make some friends, safeguard the site's wildlife value and keep ecologically-minded types like me happy too. The value of a good community profile has been recognised by the club, an ecological awareness to go with that is a win win.

Warren Farm. on 21:38 - Mar 5 with 4246 viewsdistortR

Warren Farm. on 19:44 - Mar 5 by WrightUp5hit___

Rewilding has its disasters as well as success

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/27/dutch-rewilding-experiment-b

The Dutch have a very non-interventionist approach to managing their reserves, which has long been contentious.

Anyway, I don't think Kropotkin is advocating the Warren Farm Serengeti.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024