Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland Til I Die 14:05 - Mar 24 with 11986 viewscollegeranger

Is back for a second series on Netflix from 1st April..... April Fools Day. Hoping for more car crash telly from the North East !
Sunderland Til I Die on 15:12 - Mar 24 with 7289 viewsCLAREMAN1995

I watched the whole first season again yesterday and one of their killer losses came at Loftus Road late in the season .Hard to see who scored but it was a 1-0 win for us and just continued their run to the bottom.
They had a Defence of ancient players two of which were Irish internationals long past their sell by date and Camp in goals who looked totally lost plus their 2 main strikers walked in January so they were screwed even with Coleman IMO.
It left me feeling empty at the end I am not sure Season 2 will help my mood
Sunderland Til I Die on 16:06 - Mar 24 with 7264 viewsRog

Sunderland Til I Die on 15:12 - Mar 24 by CLAREMAN1995

I watched the whole first season again yesterday and one of their killer losses came at Loftus Road late in the season .Hard to see who scored but it was a 1-0 win for us and just continued their run to the bottom.
They had a Defence of ancient players two of which were Irish internationals long past their sell by date and Camp in goals who looked totally lost plus their 2 main strikers walked in January so they were screwed even with Coleman IMO.
It left me feeling empty at the end I am not sure Season 2 will help my mood

Eze scored. They had their keeper sent off early second half, Camp was the sub.

Sunderland Til I Die on 00:08 - Mar 25 with 7162 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Sunderland Til I Die on 16:06 - Mar 24 by Rog

Eze scored. They had their keeper sent off early second half, Camp was the sub.

Nice video thank you for posting .Camp actually kept the score down it looked like but their weakness at the back clearly highlighted even in that short clip.
Sunderland Til I Die on 17:00 - Apr 5 with 6933 viewsCLAREMAN1995

This has faded to page 3 either by lack of interest or we are all overwhelmed by more important issues of this cursed virus .
I binged watched the entire season 2 and it was as compelling if not actually more that the first season.I am not sure if they are just cursed or unlucky because they almost never deliver when its crunch time .I did not know about their Wembley adventures before hand so that actually had me on the edge of my seat .
Some similarities to QPR they cut a lot of the fat (big earners )and started out with young talent then desperately needed a striker and that deadline day was must see TV. I highly recommend it
Sunderland Til I Die on 17:06 - Apr 5 with 6913 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Watching Series 2, Episode 1 at the moment.

I might regret saying this but I like the new owner and even his bull$hit bingo sidekick seems alright.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sunderland Til I Die on 17:16 - Apr 5 with 6891 viewsloftboy

Sunderland Til I Die on 17:06 - Apr 5 by BrianMcCarthy

I might regret saying this but I like the new owner and even his bull$hit bingo sidekick seems alright.

I started on 1 this morning now on 6, compelling to watch.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Sunderland Til I Die on 17:25 - Apr 5 with 6876 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Sunderland Til I Die on 17:06 - Apr 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Both arseholes with massive egos, who know this documentary can be one great PR stunt for them. That's my opinion. But you can't be an owner without being a little bit of an arsehole

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Sunderland Til I Die on 17:32 - Apr 5 with 6863 viewsloftboy

Sunderland Til I Die on 17:25 - Apr 5 by RANGERS4EVER

Both arseholes with massive egos, who know this documentary can be one great PR stunt for them. That's my opinion. But you can't be an owner without being a little bit of an arsehole

The Charlie bloke reminds me of cassandras boss Steven in only fools and horses “let me run this by you Yar “

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland Til I Die on 17:37 - Apr 5 with 6850 viewsNorthernr

Wasn’t a fan second time around. The best bits of the first season was the intimate, home life stuff with the players existing in a goldfish bowl - Jason Steele taking his kids to school, living in Sunderland, while having a public career meltdown, the fragility of Jonny Williams etc.

I can only think they clamped down on the access because this was basically 6 episodes following two rich goons in over their head around with ridiculously melodramatic match highlights edited out of sequence and context.
Sunderland Til I Die on 17:42 - Apr 5 with 6829 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sunderland Til I Die on 17:32 - Apr 5 by loftboy

The Charlie bloke reminds me of cassandras boss Steven in only fools and horses “let me run this by you Yar “

Yes!

Good call.

Sunderland Til I Die on 17:56 - Apr 5 with 6796 viewsmcqpr10

I watched them all in a day. Not as enjoyable as the first series but defo worth a watch.

It made me worry more about the bos/ear situation. The maja contract dragged on and he left for a pittance and the club couldn’t do much about it. Hope we don’t lose out like they did.

Also the signing of will Grigg on deadline day. Jack Ross says he’s not worth 1.25 million and they end up signing him for 4 million because the chairman got carried away. Even the other coaching staff were saying not to risk it.
Sunderland Til I Die on 18:31 - Apr 5 with 6744 viewsNorthantsHoop

Binged watched both series this week, very good watch. It really shows how far the chase for money in the game has been for a number of years cheating the very fans that are the lifeblood of a football club. Sunderland have a fantastic stadium and training facilities, but it is all financed on debt and an unsustainable business model, unless the funding in the game is re-evaluated can't see it improving below Premier League level, because they are draining all the resources.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2020 18:34]
Sunderland Til I Die on 16:50 - Apr 6 with 6481 viewsToast_R

Sunderland Til I Die on 17:56 - Apr 5 by mcqpr10

I watched them all in a day. Not as enjoyable as the first series but defo worth a watch.

It made me worry more about the bos/ear situation. The maja contract dragged on and he left for a pittance and the club couldn’t do much about it. Hope we don’t lose out like they did.

Also the signing of will Grigg on deadline day. Jack Ross says he’s not worth 1.25 million and they end up signing him for 4 million because the chairman got carried away. Even the other coaching staff were saying not to risk it.

That Will Grigg signing was exactly the type of thing said they were trying to change and then their inexperience told as Wigan took them to the cleaners on the deal. And wouldn't you know, he didn't suit them at all and made zero impact. They'd have been better off giving the other lad's agent whatever he was going to get out of Bordeaux for the transfer.

I came away from it asking why two seemingly astute businessmen who obviously had a load of money from selling one business, would go into this venture and fall into the same stupid mistakes as plenty of other football club takeovers. Then it dawned on me, they have massive ego's and are dicks.
Sunderland Til I Die on 18:25 - Apr 6 with 6398 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Finished it.

Ultimately disappointing Series. I felt sorry for the fans and even the owner seemed a decent skin, but it was hard to stomach some of the OTT coverage - overuse of religion, overemphasis on how great their fans are etc.

This season may be over for them, too.

Sunderland Til I Die on 20:51 - Apr 6 with 6270 viewsNorthernr

I mean doesn’t it also show how crap the system is that a guy can take over a football club like that and literally within 6 months is having to look for another investor or they’re fcked? There somehow needs to be a better check and balance at the entrance door than that.
Sunderland Til I Die on 21:00 - Apr 6 with 6243 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ya, it does. Also highlights their shock at how bad the club's finances were but doesn't comment at the clear and obvious lack of due diligence done by the new owners prior to takeover. Again, this should not be allowed by the Football League.

Sunderland Til I Die on 23:51 - Apr 6 with 6147 viewsqprd

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I actually felt that the doc was incredibly unfair on josh maja

He clearly hid behind his agent and was a bit disingenuous when he said he was going to stay (tbf, what did they expect him to say?)

But why would he stay in Sunderland when another team, in a bigger division, would provide him an opportunity to play at a higher level for considerably higher wages? Sunderland fans are totally delusional about the size of their club, and I don’t blame anyone for wanting to leave that basket case of a club- new owners, new managers, financial mess,, totally dysfunctional in every respect. Why would a promising young player want to tie themselves down to a club like that?

It’s also easy to forget that he was only 20 years old when this was filmed. Perhaps he could’ve handled it better but most of us were probably making mistakes at age 20
Sunderland Til I Die on 23:53 - Apr 6 with 6146 viewsqprd

Sunderland Til I Die on 18:25 - Apr 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Finished it.

Ultimately disappointing Series. I felt sorry for the fans and even the owner seemed a decent skin, but it was hard to stomach some of the OTT coverage - overuse of religion, overemphasis on how great their fans are etc.

This season may be over for them, too.

The religion stuff is totally unbearable- couldn’t agree more
Sunderland Til I Die on 01:03 - Apr 7 with 6100 viewsozexile

Sunderland Til I Die on 23:51 - Apr 6 by qprd

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I actually felt that the doc was incredibly unfair on josh maja

He clearly hid behind his agent and was a bit disingenuous when he said he was going to stay (tbf, what did they expect him to say?)

But why would he stay in Sunderland when another team, in a bigger division, would provide him an opportunity to play at a higher level for considerably higher wages? Sunderland fans are totally delusional about the size of their club, and I don’t blame anyone for wanting to leave that basket case of a club- new owners, new managers, financial mess,, totally dysfunctional in every respect. Why would a promising young player want to tie themselves down to a club like that?

It’s also easy to forget that he was only 20 years old when this was filmed. Perhaps he could’ve handled it better but most of us were probably making mistakes at age 20

I did feel for the club though. Until he made a decision they couldn't plan either way. It was 99% he wasn't gonna sign but he had them by the balls.
Sunderland Til I Die on 06:40 - Apr 7 with 6045 viewsNorthernr

Agreed. The other thing in that sequence was I’m sure Sunderland owed Bordeaux a substantial sum of money from a previous transfer which this helped write off?
Sunderland Til I Die on 08:00 - Apr 7 with 6002 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I agree. Third-tier football or first-tier? I think we can all understand the decision.

I think the doc focused on it because they had little else for most of the season. As Clive said earlier, access seemed more restricted and with the team only playing mediocre football this was the only drama they had for two episodes.

Sunderland Til I Die on 08:49 - Apr 7 with 5955 viewsPhildo

I do not think they had too much footage -the players clearly shut down on them after the first series.

The owners were basically given the club with the remaining parachute payments to turn it around hence they are trying to flog it now as that cash dries up. You do not get a sense of who they were stuck with on high wages. That Charlie bloke is a total dick but I suspect many of us have met characters like that at work over the years.
Sunderland Til I Die on 09:49 - Apr 7 with 5905 viewsTeddRanger

Just watched it.

Re Josh Maja. They were very likely going to get promoted with Maja banging in the goals. They only got £1 million for him from Bordeaux. Promotion would've been worth a lot more than a million to Sunderland.

Also, if they had to do a deal with Bordeaux, why wasn't a sale and lease back until the end of the season explored? I guess it might have been but never mentioned in the series.
Sunderland Til I Die on 09:56 - Apr 7 with 5890 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sunderland Til I Die on 09:49 - Apr 7 by TeddRanger

Just watched it.

Re Josh Maja. They were very likely going to get promoted with Maja banging in the goals. They only got £1 million for him from Bordeaux. Promotion would've been worth a lot more than a million to Sunderland.

Also, if they had to do a deal with Bordeaux, why wasn't a sale and lease back until the end of the season explored? I guess it might have been but never mentioned in the series.

Didn't they say that Maja came in and collected his things? He was in Bordeaux, so they had no bargaining power at all and they're seemed no chance of keeping him either on his expiring contract or on a lease-back.

Sunderland Til I Die on 11:00 - Apr 7 with 5848 viewsTeddRanger

Sunderland Til I Die on 09:56 - Apr 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Didn't they say that Maja came in and collected his things? He was in Bordeaux, so they had no bargaining power at all and they're seemed no chance of keeping him either on his expiring contract or on a lease-back.

I understand that his agent was a snake, but his contract was until the end of the season. If Sunderland had proposed in the Autumn that he stay for the remainder (or sale/leaseback) would have made it much harder for him/his agent.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024