Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to 10:51 - Mar 26 with 5932 viewsozranger

Since we have a thread on non-football teams, why not one on non-football grounds.

The only real grounds in the UK I have been to are the two Headingley grounds - cricket and RL/RU - both very good.

The mention of old Fenway where I saw the Evil Empire lose in '13 is one got me thinking and certainly there are a number of old MLB grounds. Wrigley is my favourite. Of minor league grounds, Durham Athletic Park, the ground at Pittsfield, MA, the old War Memorial Ground in Greensboro, NC and Yale Field, CN.

But watching the cricket on the hill at the SCG - now that was the best. Also in Sydney, the old North Sydney Oval (concrete park) with its iconic fig tree although they did, amongst a slew of sports, play football there. Mind you they also played Rockley (a version of women's cricket) between the 1890s and 1910.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 12:25 - Mar 26 with 3706 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Croke Park, the Mecca of GAA.

Páirc Uí Chaoimh, where we sported and played.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 12:39 - Mar 26 with 3687 viewsloftboy

Did a tour of Maddison square garden in 2017, probably the only non football arena I’ve been in.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 16:07 - Mar 26 with 3642 viewsWoog

Newmarket. Both courses.
Love the place, exudes the history and glory of horse racing.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 16:25 - Mar 26 with 3628 viewsLblock

Twickenham is a great stadium, probably one of the best I've been to. I very much doubt it's suitable for football though!

Used to love Ascot before it was redeveloped. Now its a soulless corporate monolith, real shame.

Only other one I'll chuck in is the MGM Grand. Wonderful.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 17:03 - Mar 26 with 3607 viewshantssi

Twickenham definitely also enjoyed Headingley Cricket ground, saw England play SA first tour after their ban was lifted (93?).
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 18:23 - Mar 26 with 3571 viewsaston_hoop

I go to Headingley for an England test every year or as often as possible, its a great place for watching cricket. But I feel it reached its peak for me last year - the Ben Stokes innings!

Random shout of the day - Queen's Park in Chesterfield to watch a 50 over game between Derbyshire and Yorkshire many years back. Great little place, or I just had a great day up there. Either way, loved it

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 19:02 - Mar 26 with 3538 viewsstowmarketrange

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 16:25 - Mar 26 by Lblock

Twickenham is a great stadium, probably one of the best I've been to. I very much doubt it's suitable for football though!

Used to love Ascot before it was redeveloped. Now its a soulless corporate monolith, real shame.

Only other one I'll chuck in is the MGM Grand. Wonderful.

Twickenham is a great stadium,but I only wish I could remember anything about it.Although I was sober to see U2 play there a couple of years ago.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 19:34 - Mar 26 with 3518 viewsRamseyR

Wimbledon stock car & speedway back in the 70's. The smell of two stroke and cinder, hot dogs & onions and crackly old public address speakers.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2020 19:37]
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 19:51 - Mar 26 with 3499 viewsderbyhoop

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 19:02 - Mar 26 by stowmarketrange

Twickenham is a great stadium,but I only wish I could remember anything about it.Although I was sober to see U2 play there a couple of years ago.

With Noel Gallagher supporting? If so, we were there too.

At school, we used to go watch the Varsity match at the old Twickenham. It's improved fantastically, since 1969.!
Also been to Murrayfield, Millenium (play off final and U2 again), Stade de France. Used to go to Nottingham RUFC at Ireland Road, Beeston. Good atmosphere.
Been to many Test Cricket grounds in UK + SCG and Gabba.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 19:51 - Mar 26 with 3499 viewsgobbles

Happy Valley Racecourse
PacBell Park (or whatever the SF Giants ground now is)
Cheltenham
Madison Square Garden
I once went to the old Montreal Forum to see the Canadiens play and that was some serious atmosphere.
Punchestown
Adelaide Oval
[Post edited 26 Mar 2020 20:09]
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 19:54 - Mar 26 with 3492 viewsstowmarketrange

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 19:51 - Mar 26 by derbyhoop

With Noel Gallagher supporting? If so, we were there too.

At school, we used to go watch the Varsity match at the old Twickenham. It's improved fantastically, since 1969.!
Also been to Murrayfield, Millenium (play off final and U2 again), Stade de France. Used to go to Nottingham RUFC at Ireland Road, Beeston. Good atmosphere.
Been to many Test Cricket grounds in UK + SCG and Gabba.

Yes mate,that was the night.I thought some of the songs on the album didn’t work very well sung live.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 20:48 - Mar 26 with 3449 viewsEsox_Lucius

Lords.

The grass is always greener.

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 21:08 - Mar 26 with 3428 viewsRed_Ranger

Centre Court
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 21:10 - Mar 26 with 3422 viewsRed_Ranger

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 19:34 - Mar 26 by RamseyR

Wimbledon stock car & speedway back in the 70's. The smell of two stroke and cinder, hot dogs & onions and crackly old public address speakers.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2020 19:37]

Yes - Brilliant decription.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 21:34 - Mar 26 with 3402 viewsplasmahoop

Kempton park. Maybe not technically that great, despite the King George, but it will always be a bit magic to me
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 21:54 - Mar 26 with 3382 viewsDWQPR

Totally non sport this venue but my favourite outside of Loftus Road is The Globe Theatre. Fantastic atmosphere and always full to the brim with seating and standing and the crowd (groundlings) being part of most plays. Thoroughly recommend once this ban has been lifted.

Sporting arena. Has to be the Kensington Oval in Bridgetown.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 22:09 - Mar 26 with 3370 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Headingley for the Leeds Rhinos Rugby League. Very Atmospheric.

Edgbaston Cricket similarly.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 06:03 - Mar 27 with 3315 viewsPlanetHonneywood

A bizarre thing I and another Rfosi mate of mine are into, is visiting the sights of Olympic and World Cup final stadia.

I’m actually doing ok in our competition and a visit to Athens a few years ago allowed me to pick up two sites; one of which had long been on the bucket list: the Panathenaic Stadium. For me, it just had such an aura about it.

I’d also agree about the MSG and many other indoor arenas in the US, but many lack that feeling of atmosphere when they are quiet and no one present.

I always felt as shabby as she was, the old White City stadium had something about it. Even at the time and more so with reflection, it was a shame we never bought the site and developed it as opposed to the Mrs Brown’s Boys Broadcasting Corporation!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 08:00 - Mar 27 with 3268 viewsjohncharles

Oulton Park. My brother was a biker. Dozen or so bikes used to go up from the Holyhead area. Later a dozen or cars ☹️ . Druids, Old Hall Corner and the Cascades. Great times.

Strong and stable my arse.

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 08:09 - Mar 27 with 3261 viewskingo

Twickenham is very good. Also went to Yankee stadium last year and that is awesome, food outlets everywhere.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 08:10 - Mar 27 with 3261 viewswelwynranger

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 21:54 - Mar 26 by DWQPR

Totally non sport this venue but my favourite outside of Loftus Road is The Globe Theatre. Fantastic atmosphere and always full to the brim with seating and standing and the crowd (groundlings) being part of most plays. Thoroughly recommend once this ban has been lifted.

Sporting arena. Has to be the Kensington Oval in Bridgetown.

Not football. But the Royal Albert Hall takes some beating as a venue
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 08:57 - Mar 27 with 3218 viewsjohncharles

The Marquee and Ronnie Scott’s. Saw so many wonderful people in both places I couldn’t start to list them.
Two names at random. John Gee comparing at the Marquee and Phil Seaman, one of the best British drummers ever, at Ronnie Scott’s.

Strong and stable my arse.

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 09:00 - Mar 27 with 3215 viewsMrSheen

I was lucky enough to see the Good Friday St Helen's-Wigan game in the last season at Knowsley Road. It was a ground that Stanley Matthews would have thought old-fashioned and decrepit, but it had a magic about it.

Castleford's Jungle is similar. It has been on death row for a decade but I would recommend a visit before it finally goes.

I can't think of a more carefree and enjoyable night out than under the lights at Meiji Jingu Stadium, home of the Swallows.

I've been going to Lord's since I was ten. There are bigger, noisier, more scenic cricket grounds, but none of them are Lord's.
Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 09:27 - Mar 27 with 3194 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Epsom Racecourse.

Fantastic views.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 15:23 - Mar 27 with 3151 viewsderbyhoop

Favourite non-football grounds/stadiums/arenas you have been to on 19:54 - Mar 26 by stowmarketrange

Yes mate,that was the night.I thought some of the songs on the album didn’t work very well sung live.

Noel or U2's Joshua Tree.

For the Joshua Tree, I didn't think some of the songs worked as well as on the album but the album was along time ago and the sound quality where we were was fairly poor.
Noel did a fair few Oasis numbers, which people knew more than High Flying Birds.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024