Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lockdown spirits 20:54 - Apr 5 with 3470 viewsWatfordR

So something different for us LFWers. Not cheese, but spirits.

What spirit do you turn to in these times of stress and more stress?

Me, it's Irish whiskey. Developed a casual interest in this stuff a few years back. Initially Connemara, a mildly smokey whisky. Loved the initial taste, like licking a lump of coal. Then a nice mellow smoky taste. Built up a little collection of just over twenty bottles, some realtively cheap, some an investment.

A mix of single malt, single pot still and single grain. The Irishman 12 year old is my fave single malt, the sweetness of fruit you get after a a while, just lovely. Redbreast 12 year old cask strength is a fabulous single pot still, spicy but a little hint of sweetness . The Glendalough triple barrel single grain was just such an easy drinking whiskey. No hardship to sip at all.

There's been an experimental drop of Farmhouse Spirit made by Echlinville Distillery which is apparently fantastic that I'd love to try, a small experimental batch that is just an outstanding attempt at recreating what passed for whiskey in the 18th century.

So what's your favourite tipple, and why?
[Post edited 5 Apr 2020 20:58]
Lockdown spirits on 11:41 - Apr 7 with 764 viewsjohann28

Before dins: Brockman's Gin - it's very distinctive, with a blueberry/blackberry aftertaste, so I put frozen blueberries and/or blackberries in it to enhance this
After dins: Courvoisier brandy - super-smooth and warming, or Fonseca Port, much lighter and less sweet than 'normal' port such as Cockburns. Beautiful stuff which slips down all too easily.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 11:43]
Lockdown spirits on 13:55 - Apr 7 with 713 viewsjohncharles

Right, listen up. Thornbridge Brewery are doing free deliveries over £20.00. 12 cans of Jaipur (craft IPA 5.9%) to your door for 22squids. They have some session IPA if that’s too strong for lunchtime. They also have Halcyon IPA at 7.4%.

Strong and stable my arse.

Lockdown spirits on 14:01 - Apr 7 with 710 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I'll drink just about anything (apart from sweet Martini).

I discovered Whitley and Neil rhubarb and ginger gin last year it's rather splendid and usually £20 on Amazon.

Amalfi Lemon gin is also uber-tasty.

Can't beat a good fruity IPA though.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Lockdown spirits on 14:21 - Apr 7 with 701 viewsR_from_afar

When I was young, I once brewed my own cider, just using the kit in my mum's kitchen rather than any fancy motorised apple presses or whatever. It tasted very much acceptable, very similar to Taunton Special Vat.

The last I saw of it was when I took the remains of it to a party at my university hall. I'm still not sure why I had stored it in an old coffee jar, but no one seem to mind

But I digress... My real reason for posting was to give a shout out for this beauty:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poire_Williams

I first encountered it at the very traditional Gran Hotel in Eastbourne, just last year. It is fruity, smooth, rich, potent mmmmm

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024