Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital 00:04 - Apr 8 with 1576 viewsloftboy

Hope he pulls through, was too young to see him play live but was always y favourite football pundit.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 04:47 - Apr 8 with 1497 viewssmegma

Hope he pulls through as well. Best English centre forward ever. Nothing more to say.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 7:31]
Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 07:17 - Apr 8 with 1421 views2Thomas2Bowles

I don't think I've seen a bad word said about him ever.

All the best Greavsie

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 07:38 - Apr 8 with 1399 viewsHantsR

I saw him play against us in 1969, both at White Hart Lane and LR. He scored at our place and I think won a penalty at WHL, beating us 3-2. Great player in his time and wish him all the best.
Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 08:04 - Apr 8 with 1370 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 07:17 - Apr 8 by 2Thomas2Bowles

All the best Greavsie

Was thinking the same. Universally popular.

Here's hoping he makes it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 08:09 - Apr 8 with 1357 viewsstevec

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 07:38 - Apr 8 by HantsR

I saw him play against us in 1969, both at White Hart Lane and LR. He scored at our place and I think won a penalty at WHL, beating us 3-2. Great player in his time and wish him all the best.

Yeah, saw the home game that year. Think Roger Morgan played for spurs that day.

Only time I saw Greaves live, fantastic player, love how he just glided along.
Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 08:32 - Apr 8 with 1323 viewsLoftgirl

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 07:17 - Apr 8 by 2Thomas2Bowles

All the best Greavsie

He refused to give me his autograph outside Hendon Hall Hotel in the late 60s when England were staying there before playing Scotland at Wembley.
Wish him well though. I used to love Saint and Greavsie.
Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 08:43 - Apr 8 with 1298 viewsGloucs_R

Never saw him play but absolutely loved Saint and Greavsie on a Saturday morning. The way those two connected with each other and presented the program was superb.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 10:00 - Apr 8 with 1223 viewsfrancisbowles

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 08:09 - Apr 8 by stevec

Yeah, saw the home game that year. Think Roger Morgan played for spurs that day.

I seem to remember Greavsie doing a Maradona and punching one in that day. Think he did but not sure if he got away with it.

Great player, shame he had to miss our country's biggest football day, was the best goalscorer England ever had.
Login to get fewer ads

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 10:05 - Apr 8 with 1211 viewsterryb

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 10:00 - Apr 8 by francisbowles

I seem to remember Greavsie doing a Maradona and punching one in that day. Think he did but not sure if he got away with it.

Great player, shame he had to miss our country's biggest football day, was the best goalscorer England ever had.

The Tottenham equaliser & he laughed about it!

At the time, in paper interviews & on The Bifg Match! It was worse than Henry arainst Ireland, but on a par with Jordan against Wales!

I did eventually forgive him though! His autobiography that dealt with his alcoholism was something special to read.

Get well Jimmy.
Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 10:08 - Apr 8 with 1200 views2Thomas2Bowles

Did not get a WC medal till 2009 then sold it 5 years later lol.

I think most of the players sold their WC medals.

When you think many Prem players earn more in a week than what it sold for (44k) but will never win one.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 10:12]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 10:10 - Apr 8 with 1195 viewsHantsR

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 08:09 - Apr 8 by stevec

Yes, wasn't it Roger Morgan's first game for the, a cold day and near frozen pitch ... I must get out more
Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 11:17 - Apr 8 with 1133 viewswood_hoop

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 08:32 - Apr 8 by Loftgirl

He refused to give me his autograph outside Hendon Hall Hotel in the late 60s when England were staying there before playing Scotland at Wembley.
Wish him well though. I used to love Saint and Greavsie.

Funny how things can link.

Saw Greavsie quite a few times as a kid, grew up not too far away from WHL and quite a few school friends were either Spurs supporters or Gooners, so often would get dragged down there, if I remember correctly cost 5 bob (25p) as juniors to get in, and if the crowd was super big was allowed to climb over the wall seperating pitch from supporters so not to get crushed by 60,000 + others.

Great views and so close at times you could only marvel at his skills, Hendon Hall Hotel
I have stayed in quite a few times over the last twenty years or so, nice enough hotel, no five star though, had heard the England team used to stayed there.

Thankfully was recued by a friends dad who was an R and took us to LR in my mid teens, liked the kit so here I am but my time watching games at WHL and Highbury was a time when I see so many great players of yesteryear.
Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 11:35 - Apr 8 with 1105 viewsderbyhoop

Great goalscorer throughout the 1960s.
I think he got injured just before the 66 World Cup. Geoff Hurst replaced him and the rest is history.

I wish him well but he is 80 years old and, apparently, had a bad stroke about 5 years ago.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 14:05 - Apr 8 with 1027 viewssmegma

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 11:35 - Apr 8 by derbyhoop

I think he got injured just before the 66 World Cup. Geoff Hurst replaced him and the rest is history.

I wish him well but he is 80 years old and, apparently, had a bad stroke about 5 years ago.

He played in the first 3 games in '66 then got injured.
Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 16:28 - Apr 8 with 938 viewsstowmarketrange

Maybe itv could show a few episodes of saint and greavesy during this current climate of no live football on tv?
That can’t be any worse than some of the rubbish they’re showing these days.
Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 16:36 - Apr 8 with 921 viewsCamberleyR

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 11:35 - Apr 8 by derbyhoop

Got injured in the third group game against France and wasn't fit again until the final.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 16:47 - Apr 8 with 896 viewscyprusmel

Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 14:05 - Apr 8 by smegma

He played in the first 3 games in '66 then got injured.

As the coach carrying the England team pulled into Wembley and as the players got off I found myself close to Jimmy and lad next to me said "Are you playing today Jim" and he replied I don't know, I really don't know.
If Sir Alf knew who he was going to play and I'm sure he did he hadn't told the players two hours before kick off.
Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 16:49 - Apr 8 with 887 viewsflynnbo

Try to watch the excellent "Greavsie" documentary if it's still available on BT.
Jimmy Greaves admitted to hospital on 16:55 - Apr 8 with 877 viewsDiggertheMole

Used to go to WHL with my brother who was a Spurs' fan. Too young to go on my own so when he started working on Saturdays a friend of the family started taking me to Rangers in World Cup Year - not a bad way to start! I've watched Law, Best, Charlton, etc, etc over many years at Loftus Road and away but I've never seen a better balanced footballer at speed than Greaves .He was always so much more than a goal poacher. What happened in the World Cup is part of a tragic decline but he was England's only real "World Class player" -- perhaps with Gordon Banks- going into 1966. I found it hard to forgive him the handball against us in 1969 but be was always one of my favourite players. There is a perpetual element of "flawed genius" about the very best players and he fits, sadly , into that niche. I followed his resurrection as a TV personality with a kind of disbelief and admired his honesty in his biographies _"This One's on Me" and "Greavesie". A great man and a magic footballer - Get Well Jim!.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024