Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scottish football in disarray 20:06 - Apr 8 with 4687 viewsloftboy

Plans below the SPL to end the season and award average points per game for the remainder, causing mass division between this that will benefit and those that won’t.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Scottish football in disarray on 22:39 - Apr 8 with 3334 viewsCiderwithRsie

Sorry people, but I've reached the point where I no longer care what happens to this season's football, it just doesn't matter any more. Suppose I might feel different if QPR were in either the relegation or promotion zones.

They can write the whole season off and start again when this is over for me.
Scottish football in disarray on 23:00 - Apr 8 with 3309 viewsactonman

Scottish football in disarray on 22:39 - Apr 8 by CiderwithRsie

Sorry people, but I've reached the point where I no longer care what happens to this season's football, it just doesn't matter any more. Suppose I might feel different if QPR were in either the relegation or promotion zones.

Yeah , getting that way myself, the state of the world today and wondering how it will end up tomorrow (metaphorically speaking) has me not really caring if Liverpool are handed the title and Leeds are promoted

However , it’s easy to say give Liverpool the league , promote Leeds and wba but not sure if I was a villa fan for instance that I would be happy to be relegated cos form dictates it’s likely
Scottish football in disarray on 23:14 - Apr 8 with 3298 viewsDannyPaddox

Leeds have been awarded this season’s Champions League title. They’ve done it again. Champions of Europe.
Scottish football in disarray on 07:32 - Apr 9 with 3174 viewsGloucs_R

Scottish football in disarray on 22:39 - Apr 8 by CiderwithRsie

Agree. People need to think of this as a war.

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Scottish football in disarray on 08:09 - Apr 9 with 3138 viewsNorthernr

It's becoming increasingly apparent that there is no good or easy way to resolve football through all this. The Accrington owner has been on social media this mornbing saying they'll probably have to go through admin to get out of the problems it's causing. He also points out that getting advances on Premier League solidarity and Sky parments from next season to keep us all going now will simply shaft us even more next season.

Bleak times.
Scottish football in disarray on 09:18 - Apr 9 with 3059 viewsEsox_Lucius

Scottish football in disarray on 08:09 - Apr 9 by Northernr

It's becoming increasingly apparent that there is no good or easy way to resolve football through all this. The Accrington owner has been on social media this mornbing saying they'll probably have to go through admin to get out of the problems it's causing. He also points out that getting advances on Premier League solidarity and Sky parments from next season to keep us all going now will simply shaft us even more next season.

Bleak times.

With the amount of rich club owners scattered throughout the clubs perhaps a partial solution, with the aim of saving as many clubs as possible, would be to suspend FFP during a period of allowing the owners to pump their money in to keep their club afloat during this crisis and then any available emergency fund could be used to support those clubs with no rich benefactors and keep them alive. Failing anything like this and we could be struggling to field 92 professional football teams when this is over.

The grass is always greener.

Scottish football in disarray on 09:25 - Apr 9 with 3020 viewsstevec

Scottish football in disarray on 09:18 - Apr 9 by Esox_Lucius

With the amount of rich club owners scattered throughout the clubs perhaps a partial solution, with the aim of saving as many clubs as possible, would be to suspend FFP during a period of allowing the owners to pump their money in to keep their club afloat during this crisis and then any available emergency fund could be used to support those clubs with no rich benefactors and keep them alive. Failing anything like this and we could be struggling to field 92 professional football teams when this is over.

But rich owners have been pumping money into their clubs for years to keep them functioning.

It’s why we’re all still able to watch Queens Park Rangers.

I’m puzzled why many seem to think owners should bear the brunt of this when it’s absolutely clear that clubs will be going to the wall due to players unsustainable wages.
Scottish football in disarray on 11:38 - Apr 9 with 2948 viewsWrightUp5hit___

The vast majority seem to be maneuvering to protect themselves from the inevitable, post CoVid legal action, rather than what is right and morally defensible.

When you see Robbie Savage and Rio taking action against BT sport because they don't have the opportunity to display their wondrous presentational skills, be ready to vomit.
Login to get fewer ads

Scottish football in disarray on 13:46 - Apr 9 with 2853 viewsderbyhoop

Accrington aren't the only club in difficulties. 4 weeks with minimal income likely to be extended to 12 will bankrupt clubs that were already in a precarious state , e.g. Oldham Athletic who spent at least 1 season in the PL

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Scottish football in disarray on 13:53 - Apr 9 with 2840 viewsdaveB

Why can't leagues just wait and see where we are at the end of May, there is no reason why they can't finish the league in September or even October if needed, pointless starting another one before this one finishes.
Scottish football in disarray on 16:24 - Apr 9 with 2737 viewsslmrstid

You know, in some ways, this is entirely typical of QPR's luck.

Twice we've been relegated from the Premiership just before it got flooded with big (then bigger) money, then just when it looks like we're getting our house in order financially and can take advantage of other clubs going stupid and bankrupting themselves, that a global pandemic hits and bankrupts everyone regardless.

We'll all be AFC clubs by this time next year!
Scottish football in disarray on 22:24 - Apr 9 with 2615 viewskarl

Scottish football in disarray on 16:24 - Apr 9 by slmrstid

You know, in some ways, this is entirely typical of QPR's luck.

Twice we've been relegated from the Premiership just before it got flooded with big (then bigger) money, then just when it looks like we're getting our house in order financially and can take advantage of other clubs going stupid and bankrupting themselves, that a global pandemic hits and bankrupts everyone regardless.

We'll all be AFC clubs by this time next year!

Agree that I'm a little indifferent atm about league placings, etc although desperately missing my football fix, our local football, summer league, normally starts this time in April so would be well underway with that as well as professional leagues coming to an end.
I will disagree with Loftboy that Scottish football is in disarray as ultimately its Rangers, Hearts and Partick who are kicking up a stink and there's no real surprise why they are.
Rangers see it as a chance to derail Celtics fairly easy title win and another for them towards a record 10 in a row, they're also skint and have to keep their fans onside and being rabid anti Celtic is their default in that sense.
Hearts have wasted a fortune, sit 4 points adrift having won 4 games in over 12 months yet see this as their best chance to avoid relegation.
Partick are on a rapid downward slide and a 2nd relegation was looking likely although they are very much in touch it has to be said with a fame in hand and only 1 point behind.
Once the English leagues make decisions then there will be similar issues so I would say that the game in general is in disarray rather than one league set up?
Scottish football in disarray on 13:25 - Apr 12 with 2457 viewsozranger

Scottish football in disarray on 22:24 - Apr 9 by karl

Agree that I'm a little indifferent atm about league placings, etc although desperately missing my football fix, our local football, summer league, normally starts this time in April so would be well underway with that as well as professional leagues coming to an end.
I will disagree with Loftboy that Scottish football is in disarray as ultimately its Rangers, Hearts and Partick who are kicking up a stink and there's no real surprise why they are.
Rangers see it as a chance to derail Celtics fairly easy title win and another for them towards a record 10 in a row, they're also skint and have to keep their fans onside and being rabid anti Celtic is their default in that sense.
Hearts have wasted a fortune, sit 4 points adrift having won 4 games in over 12 months yet see this as their best chance to avoid relegation.
Partick are on a rapid downward slide and a 2nd relegation was looking likely although they are very much in touch it has to be said with a fame in hand and only 1 point behind.
Once the English leagues make decisions then there will be similar issues so I would say that the game in general is in disarray rather than one league set up?

So what do make of this, Karl?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52256506

Looks to me that although what you say is all true, there may be some shenanigans taking place as well. I do follow the Jags progress and while they have been on a downward slide since a few seasons ago when they made the top half of the Premier League after the split, they have this uncanny ability to escape relegation all too often.
Scottish football in disarray on 15:16 - Apr 12 with 2388 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Why can’t we just tack on the end of this season to the start of the next one, presuming we’re back by July? Two months should be enough to finish a season surely if everyone plays twice a week. Just go from one season to another over a weekend.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2020 15:41]
Scottish football in disarray on 17:46 - Apr 12 with 2284 viewsNorthernr

Scottish football in disarray on 15:16 - Apr 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Why can’t we just tack on the end of this season to the start of the next one, presuming we’re back by July? Two months should be enough to finish a season surely if everyone plays twice a week. Just go from one season to another over a weekend.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2020 15:41]

One of the few things I haven't seen suggested so far and it's an interesting idea.
I guess the problems with it would come say for example with somebody like Fulham, who kept hold of their big hitters this season to try and go straight back up and presumably if they don't manage it will have to sell the likes of Cairney and Mitrovic in the summer and start bringing costs down - certainly that's what we've seen at other clubs who've done the same, like Middlesbrough. Under this plan they'd either have to play out the last nine games of the season without their big hitters, or gamble even more by keeping them in the knowledge they'd have to pay them all the way through next season as well if they don't go up.
Scottish football in disarray on 17:51 - Apr 12 with 2271 viewsTGRRRSSS

Contract issues too - Nico has stated in Law they cannot enforce people to stay on beyond the date of whenever the end is (30th June seems typical) and it might breech law to try to enforce it, the longer it goes on the bigger a problem it is, and lets face it, how many sides will even be in a position to start up in terms of the finance etc?

The lower down you go, the bigger the issues.

End of the day until we start to see an end to lockdown I cannot see the possibiltiy of Sport returning.

Some are talking of an indefinite "lockdown" for months to come so the likelihood of sport seems remote to say the least.
I hope not though the reality is the government cannot afford this indefinetly and eventually they will have to give it a go, they really need to find out more about testing for antibodies in particular in my view and go from there.
Might help if famous known cases can be checked for this sort of thing already.
Scottish football in disarray on 17:56 - Apr 12 with 2265 viewsDevon_4_England

Scottish football in disarray on 17:46 - Apr 12 by Northernr

One of the few things I haven't seen suggested so far and it's an interesting idea.
I guess the problems with it would come say for example with somebody like Fulham, who kept hold of their big hitters this season to try and go straight back up and presumably if they don't manage it will have to sell the likes of Cairney and Mitrovic in the summer and start bringing costs down - certainly that's what we've seen at other clubs who've done the same, like Middlesbrough. Under this plan they'd either have to play out the last nine games of the season without their big hitters, or gamble even more by keeping them in the knowledge they'd have to pay them all the way through next season as well if they don't go up.

Under this model perhaps the transfer window could remain open to give teams a chance to sell their players in the Autumn if they ended up not going up / going down / get promotion.

No easy answers
Scottish football in disarray on 18:18 - Apr 12 with 2249 viewskarl

Scottish football in disarray on 13:25 - Apr 12 by ozranger

So what do make of this, Karl?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52256506

Looks to me that although what you say is all true, there may be some shenanigans taking place as well. I do follow the Jags progress and while they have been on a downward slide since a few seasons ago when they made the top half of the Premier League after the split, they have this uncanny ability to escape relegation all too often.

It is now in disarray!
Scottish football in disarray on 21:42 - Apr 12 with 2151 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Scottish football in disarray on 17:46 - Apr 12 by Northernr

Suspend transfer windows until the new or second season has started I guess.

One other problem is the fitness of of players when the season starts. The season would have to start immediately after lockdown is removed, which would mean some right chubbers breathing though their arse for 90 minutes.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2020 21:43]
Scottish football in disarray on 21:57 - Apr 12 with 2127 viewsNorthernr

Scottish football in disarray on 17:56 - Apr 12 by Devon_4_England

Under this model perhaps the transfer window could remain open to give teams a chance to sell their players in the Autumn if they ended up not going up / going down / get promotion.

No easy answers

Ditch them altogether? Fcking ridiculous restraint of trade and employment rights anyway. Can anybody actually come up with a cogent argument for why we have them at all?
Scottish football in disarray on 22:17 - Apr 12 with 2098 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Scottish football in disarray on 18:18 - Apr 12 by karl

It is now in disarray!

Disarray sounds like one of the Northern Isles in Orkney.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2020 22:18]
Scottish football in disarray on 22:21 - Apr 12 with 2088 viewsdistortR

Scottish football in disarray on 22:17 - Apr 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Disarray sounds like one of the Northern Isles in Orkney.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2020 22:18]

disarray?

dis 'arry.
Scottish football in disarray on 22:23 - Apr 12 with 2085 viewsloftboy

Scottish football in disarray on 21:57 - Apr 12 by Northernr

Ditch them altogether? Fcking ridiculous restraint of trade and employment rights anyway. Can anybody actually come up with a cogent argument for why we have them at all?

Wasn’t it to do with teams getting to March and then buying a rivals top player to either get themselves out of trouble or to give them the extra oomph to win the league.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Scottish football in disarray on 22:26 - Apr 12 with 2075 viewsstowmarketrange

Only 2 months and the fixtures will be out.
Scottish football in disarray on 23:09 - Apr 12 with 2033 viewskarl

Scottish football in disarray on 22:21 - Apr 12 by distortR

disarray?

dis 'arry.

Don't you dis Harray!

Not an island Baz but a parish so you were close😂
Each parish has a nickname and the only one without a coast is the..... Harray crabs!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024