Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What If England INternational 18:09 - Apr 19 with 4156 viewsTGRRRSSS

Following the What if QPR thread...

What if Terry Venables took over from Bobby Robson in 92 rather than 95.

Surely England would have done better at Euro 92 - and qualified and done ok at USA 94???...

Thoughts - looking back I'm amazed Taylor survived Euro 92 - he had some bad luck maybe and was a decent man I think and obviously was a decent club manager too a degree but TV 92-98 might have been very different for England I imagine.
What If England INternational on 00:10 - Apr 20 with 3025 viewsCiderwithRsie

Quite obviously the best English manager of the post-Clough generation and like Clough criminally sidelined by the FA for non-football reasons.

Personally I wouldn't trust him so far as I could throw him but so bleeding what. Probably should have got the job in 92 and certainly shouldn't have been frozen out after Euro 96.
What If England INternational on 00:47 - Apr 20 with 3008 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Gazza reaching that ball in ‘96.

Imagine where we might have pushed on to.

What If England INternational on 08:00 - Apr 20 with 2964 viewsDWQPR

Imagine more so if Venables got what he wanted from Gregory in 1984 and not only remained at the club but took over the club. After finishing 5th in that season that team with a few additions could really have pushed on.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

What If England INternational on 08:15 - Apr 20 with 2950 viewsToast_R

What if Gazza didn't ruin his career with that horror tackle in the FA Cup final, went on to be the best player in the world and was available for Euro 92?
What If England INternational on 08:41 - Apr 20 with 2934 viewsCamberleyR

What If England INternational on 08:15 - Apr 20 by Toast_R

What if Gazza didn't ruin his career with that horror tackle in the FA Cup final, went on to be the best player in the world and was available for Euro 92?

Taylor would still have ended up not taking a recognised right back and played Keith Curle and David Batty there instead.

That summer, David Bardsley must have wondered what he had to do to get a cap with Stevens, Dixon & Jones all injured.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

What If England INternational on 09:11 - Apr 20 with 2919 viewsTheChef

Chris Waddle's shot in extra time of the 1990 world cup semi final, goes in off the post rather than bouncing out.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

What If England INternational on 13:06 - Apr 20 with 2868 viewsthemodfather

from near the half way line too, so many forget this but all recall the pen!
for me what if shilton comes out and punches the ball, knocking diego into another time zone ( goalies got away with a lot back then) in 86 and doesnt let a dwarf out jump him oh and a linesman with eyes!
What If England INternational on 13:12 - Apr 20 with 2859 viewsdaveB

Still find it ridiculous that the FA got rid of Venables before Euro 96, he should have been England manager for years, was perfect for the job
Login to get fewer ads

What If England INternational on 13:37 - Apr 20 with 2840 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What If England INternational on 13:12 - Apr 20 by daveB

Still find it ridiculous that the FA got rid of Venables before Euro 96, he should have been England manager for years, was perfect for the job

Didn’t he stand down?
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 13:39]
What If England INternational on 15:32 - Apr 20 with 2803 viewshateley_legend

What If England INternational on 08:41 - Apr 20 by CamberleyR

Taylor would still have ended up not taking a recognised right back and played Keith Curle and David Batty there instead.

That summer, David Bardsley must have wondered what he had to do to get a cap with Stevens, Dixon & Jones all injured.

Was going to post this exact same point. Hard to have much sympathy for Taylor at that tournament when he realised he had to play the QPR left winger at right back in one of the group games, rather than the superb QPR right back sat on his bum at home. If Bardsley was playing for Man U or Arsenal he’d have won 50 caps, no question.
What If England INternational on 15:56 - Apr 20 with 2779 viewsCamberleyR

What If England INternational on 15:32 - Apr 20 by hateley_legend

Was going to post this exact same point. Hard to have much sympathy for Taylor at that tournament when he realised he had to play the QPR left winger at right back in one of the group games, rather than the superb QPR right back sat on his bum at home. If Bardsley was playing for Man U or Arsenal he’d have won 50 caps, no question.

It makes it all the more strange when you consider he was his club manager at Watford for four years and in 1984 had enough confidence in him as a 19 year old to play him in an FA Cup final.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 15:57]

What If England INternational on 16:47 - Apr 20 with 2751 viewsRangersw12

Wc 2002 when we went out to Brazil was probably our best chance of winning it

I still blame Sven for not trying to win the last group game and played out a dull nil nil draw as he was worried about Senegal in the last 16
What If England INternational on 16:48 - Apr 20 with 2750 viewsrsonist

What If England INternational on 13:37 - Apr 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

Didn’t he stand down?
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 13:39]

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/lessons-of-the-long-goodbye-1323998.html

"There is no real villain, it seems, only pockets of blame scattered through the whole business".
What If England INternational on 16:53 - Apr 20 with 2747 viewsrsonist

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/nov/19/leedsunited

And here, designed to irk, is an.... alternative... take on Tel's coaching career.
What If England INternational on 17:10 - Apr 20 with 2729 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What If England INternational on 16:53 - Apr 20 by rsonist

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/nov/19/leedsunited

And here, designed to irk, is an.... alternative... take on Tel's coaching career.

Jesus, that was a vicious piece!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What If England INternational on 20:48 - Apr 20 with 2662 viewsCiderwithRsie

What If England INternational on 17:10 - Apr 20 by BrianMcCarthy

Jesus, that was a vicious piece!

Only skim-read it, but that was a terrible article.

Entire QPR management of several years summed up as the FA Cup Final, dismissed in an entirely subjective judgement. No mention of winning 2nd Div by an absolute mile (in a division including the scum, Sheff Weds, Leeds, Newcastle, Fulham, Derby and the other promoted sides Wolves and Leicester with Lineker up front), no mention of qualifying for the UEFA Cup in first season up.

All done with a squad based on youth team players - don't know what the transfer budget was but must have been pretty low even by the standards of the day.
What If England INternational on 21:16 - Apr 20 with 2646 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What If England INternational on 20:48 - Apr 20 by CiderwithRsie

Only skim-read it, but that was a terrible article.

Entire QPR management of several years summed up as the FA Cup Final, dismissed in an entirely subjective judgement. No mention of winning 2nd Div by an absolute mile (in a division including the scum, Sheff Weds, Leeds, Newcastle, Fulham, Derby and the other promoted sides Wolves and Leicester with Lineker up front), no mention of qualifying for the UEFA Cup in first season up.

All done with a squad based on youth team players - don't know what the transfer budget was but must have been pretty low even by the standards of the day.

Ya, I thought it was unbelievably biased.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

What If England INternational on 11:18 - Apr 21 with 2567 viewsfrancisbowles

What If England INternational on 21:16 - Apr 20 by BrianMcCarthy

Ya, I thought it was unbelievably biased.

.....and he didn't get QPR to runners up in the (old) first division.

He only had one season with us in the top flight.
What If England INternational on 14:31 - Apr 21 with 2532 viewsTheChef

What If England INternational on 00:47 - Apr 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

Gazza reaching that ball in ‘96.

Imagine where we might have pushed on to.

Watched the Euro 96 doco last night, funny how the Gazza one lives in the memory yet I totally forgot Anderton hitting the post in ET. Plus Germany scoring in ET from a corner but it getting chalked off for a foul.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

What If England INternational on 16:18 - Apr 21 with 2517 viewsToast_R

Euro 96 is thought of as some England extraordinaire team narrowly missing out when they should have won. Fact is, they had home advantage, had one amazing performance against the a out of sorts Dutch team, underperformed v Switzerland and were a missed penalty away from being in trouble to the Jocks. Lucked in with a penalty shootout v Spain in a drab game that Spain had a goal disallowed in and weren't good enough to beat the Germans at home.

Unless I'm mistaken here, that Spain penalty shoot out is the only knock-out game England have ever won at a Euro's and it was sh*t fluky.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 16:20]
What If England INternational on 16:35 - Apr 21 with 2503 viewsCamberleyR

What If England INternational on 16:18 - Apr 21 by Toast_R

Euro 96 is thought of as some England extraordinaire team narrowly missing out when they should have won. Fact is, they had home advantage, had one amazing performance against the a out of sorts Dutch team, underperformed v Switzerland and were a missed penalty away from being in trouble to the Jocks. Lucked in with a penalty shootout v Spain in a drab game that Spain had a goal disallowed in and weren't good enough to beat the Germans at home.

Unless I'm mistaken here, that Spain penalty shoot out is the only knock-out game England have ever won at a Euro's and it was sh*t fluky.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 16:20]

"Unless I'm mistaken here, that Spain penalty shoot out is the only knock-out game England have ever won at a Euro's and it was sh*t fluky. "

We won a two legged quarter final in the 1968 Euros against Spain 3-1 on aggregate (1-0 at Wembley in the first leg, 2-1 at the Bernabeu in the second) to qualify for the then four team finals tournament. We finished third.

What If England INternational on 16:42 - Apr 21 with 2496 viewsToast_R

What If England INternational on 16:35 - Apr 21 by CamberleyR

"Unless I'm mistaken here, that Spain penalty shoot out is the only knock-out game England have ever won at a Euro's and it was sh*t fluky. "

We won a two legged quarter final in the 1968 Euros against Spain 3-1 on aggregate (1-0 at Wembley in the first leg, 2-1 at the Bernabeu in the second) to qualify for the then four team finals tournament. We finished third.

I'm not sure you can count that as a tournament knock out anymore than you consider our playoff win over Scotland for Euro 2000 one.

[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 16:47]
What If England INternational on 16:46 - Apr 21 with 2486 viewsMrSheen

Alternative history...
Koeman sent off for pulling down Platt, Merson converts the penalty. Wright's late tap-in helps England qualify as group winners. England knocked out in the quarter finals on penalties by Sweden when Captain Carlton Palmer blasts over the bar after 120 scoreless minutes in the blazing heat of Dallas.
Graham Taylor takes England to Euro 96, where his team are knocked out in the quarter finals by Spain when Captain Rob Lee blasts over the bar after 120 scoreless minutes in the blazing heat of Wembley.
What If England INternational on 16:54 - Apr 21 with 2472 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What If England INternational on 14:31 - Apr 21 by TheChef

Watched the Euro 96 doco last night, funny how the Gazza one lives in the memory yet I totally forgot Anderton hitting the post in ET. Plus Germany scoring in ET from a corner but it getting chalked off for a foul.

Me too. What a game mind.
What If England INternational on 20:01 - Apr 21 with 2430 viewspaulparker

What If England INternational on 13:06 - Apr 20 by themodfather

from near the half way line too, so many forget this but all recall the pen!
for me what if shilton comes out and punches the ball, knocking diego into another time zone ( goalies got away with a lot back then) in 86 and doesnt let a dwarf out jump him oh and a linesman with eyes!

That shot from waddle Wouldn’t of mattered as the ref had blown up for a foul

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024