Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume 15:28 - Apr 28 with 1872 views2Thomas2Bowles

France banned all sporting events, including behind closed doors, until September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52460468

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 15:30 - Apr 28 with 1865 viewsNorthernr

Canal+ said they were only paying a third of the 110m Euros owed to the league as well. If Sky did that to us EFL would be bankrupt overnight.
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 16:00 - Apr 28 with 1808 viewsozranger

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 15:30 - Apr 28 by Northernr

Canal+ said they were only paying a third of the 110m Euros owed to the league as well. If Sky did that to us EFL would be bankrupt overnight.

And yet, the decision has to be made by the 24th according to UEFA. So, within such a short time can we really be seeing a positive decision for the resumption of play, lest to say behind closed doors?
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 16:06 - Apr 28 with 1791 viewsNorthernr

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 16:00 - Apr 28 by ozranger

And yet, the decision has to be made by the 24th according to UEFA. So, within such a short time can we really be seeing a positive decision for the resumption of play, lest to say behind closed doors?

I just do not understand how BCD works.

Getting through nine rounds of EFL action in a month without any of the players getting the virus is fanciful stuff.

Let's say we play Sat-Tue-Sat in the first week. And everybody does that. Then half a dozen players at half a dozen clubs get it. Everybody they played with, and against, has to isolate fr 2 weeks don't they? So that's the end of that, all the games off for at least two weeks, assuming they haven't passed it onto anybody who subsequently tests positive later, starting the clock all over again.

Presumably you'd have to isolate entire squads together, away from their families and everybody else, for at least a month. And presumably you'd want all the games played in one place, like St George's Park, so they're not travelling around, which is an absolute petridish in itself. And if they are going to travel around, are we isolating bus drivers and all the staff required with getting a football club around the country for a month as well, with the team, away from their families?

And you'd have to test remorselessly. Everybody every day. To stop an outbreak. Is it really moral the state this country is in to be diverting many thousands of tests to football so Sky have something to show and Leeds can get promoted?

BCD would be sht anyway, even if it did work practically, which it doesn't.

This post has been edited by an administrator
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 16:17 - Apr 28 with 1750 viewssprocket

Not a snowballs chance in hell that they will complete the season before Sept. Even if they attempted it as Northern has said as soon as someone tests positive it's dead.
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 16:24 - Apr 28 with 1728 viewsSnipper

Ok, say the Premier League resumes in June behind closed doors. Can you honestly say that Liverpool fans wouldn’t turn up in their thousands when they’re close to winning the league?

How will the authorities act when this happens? There’s no doubt that it’ll happen whether it’s home or away. The only reason they’re on about finishing the Premier League is purely financial.

I honestly can’t see the EFL finishing their remaining fixtures. If that happens, there’ll be no promotion or relegation from all EFL leagues. You can’t have West Brom or Leeds going up, as has been mooted, as that would open a massive can of worms in the lower divisions.

The EFL would be tied up in expensive litigation if it went any other way.

The best option is to nullify this season completely.
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 16:31 - Apr 28 with 1703 viewswood_hoop

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 16:17 - Apr 28 by sprocket

Not a snowballs chance in hell that they will complete the season before Sept. Even if they attempted it as Northern has said as soon as someone tests positive it's dead.

I did read somewhere an idea mooted was to select just certain grounds and all games played there.

They would then play like a mini international comp, players only allowed to stay at certain hotels near the grounds for the duration until all games played

Another convuluted idea, but you never know.
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 16:49 - Apr 28 with 1656 viewsgobbles

The pressure is enormous to resume. Not only for the clubs to get income, but from Sky and BT Sport, who have not only lost all their subscription money but all their advertising revenue too. About 90 per cent of adverts on Sky Sport and BT are normally bookies, but they have pulled all that.
The Bundesliga will get the go-ahead to resume on May 9 and that will be the green light. I guess they will test everyone and then have them all in isolation until the start 14 days later. Anyone with symptoms gets dropped from the squad, you can probably get it wrapped up in 6 weeks. It is still April, if you started in mid June, you will be done by the end of July, start the next season in October.
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 18:11 - Apr 28 with 1570 viewsNorthernr

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 16:49 - Apr 28 by gobbles

The pressure is enormous to resume. Not only for the clubs to get income, but from Sky and BT Sport, who have not only lost all their subscription money but all their advertising revenue too. About 90 per cent of adverts on Sky Sport and BT are normally bookies, but they have pulled all that.
The Bundesliga will get the go-ahead to resume on May 9 and that will be the green light. I guess they will test everyone and then have them all in isolation until the start 14 days later. Anyone with symptoms gets dropped from the squad, you can probably get it wrapped up in 6 weeks. It is still April, if you started in mid June, you will be done by the end of July, start the next season in October.

Yeh it's exactly this. We saw with ITV Digital what happens to the EFL when the broadcast contract goes away, and that was immediately replaced with another broadcast deal just for a lot less. The behind closed doors thing is entirely about shovelling some content the way of Sky and BT so they keep the taps turned on.

Like I say though, I don't get the practicality of it.

If we start up, play a week of Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday in the Championship that's a minimum of 264 players in action - assuming each team plays exactly the same 11 in all three games and makes no subs. In reality, it's many many more. PLus managers, coaches, physios etc. Let's then say that in the week after that six players out of 264 from six different clubs get it. Then that's six teams that have to cancel games and isolate their teams, and all three opponents they played the week before. That's basically it, one week in, the whole fixture list falls over until they can get everybody well and tested negative again.

It just doesn't work does it? This is without even getting into where are they going to get the literally thousands of tests they're going to need to monitor these boys over the course of the month. And if they can get them, should they? Shouldn't they be going into the health system?

I completely agree with what you say, the whole thing is dangling by the thread of one Sky exec saying "pull it" right now so they're desperate to get them something. But... how exactly does it work?

Login to get fewer ads

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 18:13 - Apr 28 with 1558 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’m so surprised there isn’t a established plan for when this kind of thing happens.

There should be now so there are no arguments / legal ramifications in future.
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 18:16 - Apr 28 with 1538 viewsNorthernr

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 18:13 - Apr 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’m so surprised there isn’t a established plan for when this kind of thing happens.

There should be now so there are no arguments / legal ramifications in future.

Yeh I'm also surprised there isn't a black and white rule for the division which says "in the event that fixtures cannot be fulfilled then the league is null and void before March 1, or positions stand as they are after March 1" or something to that effect.

The 'what are we going to do Grommit' football side of it is actually really fascinating, if it weren't so fcking heartbreaking.

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 18:22 - Apr 28 with 1516 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 18:16 - Apr 28 by Northernr

Yeh I'm also surprised there isn't a black and white rule for the division which says "in the event that fixtures cannot be fulfilled then the league is null and void before March 1, or positions stand as they are after March 1" or something to that effect.

The 'what are we going to do Grommit' football side of it is actually really fascinating, if it weren't so fcking heartbreaking.

Something clear and concise anyway.

Maybe if the season is over 50% done for the majority of teams, then relegation and champions can be decided by points per game.
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 18:32 - Apr 28 with 1496 viewsThe_Beast1976

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 18:11 - Apr 28 by Northernr

Yeh it's exactly this. We saw with ITV Digital what happens to the EFL when the broadcast contract goes away, and that was immediately replaced with another broadcast deal just for a lot less. The behind closed doors thing is entirely about shovelling some content the way of Sky and BT so they keep the taps turned on.

Like I say though, I don't get the practicality of it.

If we start up, play a week of Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday in the Championship that's a minimum of 264 players in action - assuming each team plays exactly the same 11 in all three games and makes no subs. In reality, it's many many more. PLus managers, coaches, physios etc. Let's then say that in the week after that six players out of 264 from six different clubs get it. Then that's six teams that have to cancel games and isolate their teams, and all three opponents they played the week before. That's basically it, one week in, the whole fixture list falls over until they can get everybody well and tested negative again.

It just doesn't work does it? This is without even getting into where are they going to get the literally thousands of tests they're going to need to monitor these boys over the course of the month. And if they can get them, should they? Shouldn't they be going into the health system?

I completely agree with what you say, the whole thing is dangling by the thread of one Sky exec saying "pull it" right now so they're desperate to get them something. But... how exactly does it work?

It would be good for football in the top division if it was pulled and millions lost, as it may finally get football at the top to reset itself (something which has been needed for some time in view of how absolutely ridiculous football in the top division has become with all the money flying around and the ridiculous sums paid to players). However, it could put clubs below the top flight out of business
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 18:33]
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 19:20 - Apr 28 with 1429 viewsozranger

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 18:22 - Apr 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

Something clear and concise anyway.

Maybe if the season is over 50% done for the majority of teams, then relegation and champions can be decided by points per game.

Without being too sarcastic, why was something like this not done? Was there some presumption that all seasons would end and the world would not reach a state where something got in the way, like a pandemic or war? If the FA - not the EFL - had set up a rule of this nature then, other than what Clive is stating re Sky/BT, it would have been easy some time ago to reach the situation of closing the season based on the results up to a certain point.

It all goes to what some may call "forward planning". I don't read the virus thread, but I presume that all who are running companies have already planned ahead for three months, six months, nine months or longer of no work. This should, and one would hope QPR are doing it, be done by all clubs from the very top down to the non-league. We have no idea when football will return for the top leagues and it will be much later for the lower levels of the game. We worry about the EFL clubs... the non-league will be trashed.
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 19:31 - Apr 28 with 1404 viewscolinallcars

And it's not just the players who need to be virus-free. I read in this morning's paper that to show a game BCD on TV requires between 200 and 400 people including players, medical staff TV technicians stadium staff etc etc.
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 20:45 - Apr 28 with 1333 viewsslmrstid

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 19:31 - Apr 28 by colinallcars

And it's not just the players who need to be virus-free. I read in this morning's paper that to show a game BCD on TV requires between 200 and 400 people including players, medical staff TV technicians stadium staff etc etc.

I had a go at working out how many people would be required for a BCD game (no TV) and came to a very conservative estimate of at least 75, so I can well believe with TV on top that would take it over 100 at the very least - possibly a lot more as you say.
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 20:59 - Apr 28 with 1315 viewsloftus77

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 16:24 - Apr 28 by Snipper

Ok, say the Premier League resumes in June behind closed doors. Can you honestly say that Liverpool fans wouldn’t turn up in their thousands when they’re close to winning the league?

How will the authorities act when this happens? There’s no doubt that it’ll happen whether it’s home or away. The only reason they’re on about finishing the Premier League is purely financial.

I honestly can’t see the EFL finishing their remaining fixtures. If that happens, there’ll be no promotion or relegation from all EFL leagues. You can’t have West Brom or Leeds going up, as has been mooted, as that would open a massive can of worms in the lower divisions.

The EFL would be tied up in expensive litigation if it went any other way.

The best option is to nullify this season completely.

Yep - I've gone round in circles on this repeatedly. I thought it would be best to try and finish the season this autumn or go BCD this June/July.

But I think we can say safely now that (sadly) there'll be no major spectator events at all in 2020. And although BCD sounds good on paper, it just won't work credibly and meaningfully for 9 rounds of competitive league football.

Maybe we can use BCD as a 'morale boost' in June/July by using it for the FA Cup QFs/Sfs and Final and the Scottiish Cup SFs and Final. That could work J guess because you're talking a limited number of games with no massive ongoing financial/contractural effect in terms of TV rights etc.

But, with a heavy heart, I think the 2019/20 league season will have to be null and void. Hopefully we restart the 2020/21 season as a full season running from Jan? 2021 to July 2021.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 21:00]
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 21:12 - Apr 28 with 1298 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Another thing to consider is fitness.

If lockdown was removed tomorrow, it would take a month before most players were in a condition to play.

I’m up for a Chubber League mind.
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 22:20 - Apr 28 with 1236 viewsCiderwithRsie

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 21:12 - Apr 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

Another thing to consider is fitness.

If lockdown was removed tomorrow, it would take a month before most players were in a condition to play.

I’m up for a Chubber League mind.

I’m up for a Chubber League mind

I sense another QPR XI is coming along. I'll start:

Sammy Lee
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 22:29 - Apr 28 with 1228 viewsdistortR

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 22:20 - Apr 28 by CiderwithRsie

I’m up for a Chubber League mind

I sense another QPR XI is coming along. I'll start:

Sammy Lee

mikey fillery
The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 22:48 - Apr 28 with 1204 viewsrrrspricey

The Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 seasons will not resume on 22:29 - Apr 28 by distortR

mikey fillery

I call your Micky Fillery and raise you Neil Ruddock
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024